Competitors bags that scare you.

145679

Comments

  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    edited Oct 23, 2012 #242
    My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp.



    HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot.



    It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • goplutusgoplutus Members Posts: 377
    take that logic to the rules sub-forum and see how it goes...seriously, give it a shot
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    somaplr wrote:


    My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp.



    HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot.



    It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"




    Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    64 on a short course is just as impressive as a long course in my book, I see that and you know he has a great wedge game, great short game. If he can drive the ball somewhat decent I would guess he's capable of well under par rounds on a long course as well.

    Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    edited Oct 23, 2012 #246
    tatertot wrote:
    somaplr wrote:
    My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp. HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot. It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"
    Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S.




    I very definitively understand the USGA handicapping system.



    Two guys that are both 1 hdcp aren't automatically equal players in skill (apparently a point that wasnt clearly made by myself earlier). Your handicap is in relation to the courses you choose to play. If you play in a short open course and are a 1 and pit him against a guy that plays at Beth Page Black at a 1 at a neutral site...who are you picking with a gun to your head?



    Anyways....back on topic.



    I look at people's clubs, one type of club doesn't scare me at all...but I'd generally play any stranger for money. The thing you have to be careful of is guys in their mid to late 40's that are darker than John Boehner. They play a TON of golf. I lost a few C Notes to a guy that played a full Walter Hagan bag from Dick's, was Longhorn burnt orange skin toned, and proceeded to fire a 68 on a very very difficult course.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    somaplr wrote:

    tatertot wrote:
    somaplr wrote:
    My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp. HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot. It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"
    Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S.




    I very definitively understand the USGA handicapping system.



    Two guys that are both 1 hdcp aren't automatically equal players in skill (apparently a point that wasnt clearly made by myself earlier). Your handicap is in relation to the courses you choose to play. If you play in a short open course and are a 1 and pit him against a guy that plays at Beth Page Black at a 1 at a neutral site...who are you picking with a gun to your head?



    Anyways....back on topic.



    I look at people's clubs, but one type of club doesn't scare me at all...but I'd generally play any stranger for money. The thing you have to be careful of is guys in their mid to late 40's that are darker than John Boehner. They play a TON of golf. I lost a few C Notes to a guy that played a full Walter Hagan bag from Dick's, was Longhorn burnt orange skin toned, and proceeded to fire a 68 on a very very difficult course.




    If you're a 1 on a short, open course, you would still be a 1 at Bethpage - but your scores wouldn't be the same.



    Nevermind
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • geesecougar2geesecougar2 Members Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    New grips on old irons
    M1 8.5 Fuji 757 Evo X
    SLDR 15 Axivcore Tour Green X
    Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
    S55 4-PW X100 TI
    Vokey SM4 52 X100 TI
    Vokey TVD 56/60 S400
    White Hot RX #7 / Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    somaplr wrote:

    tatertot wrote:
    somaplr wrote:
    My index I keep is MOSTLY home scores or similar more difficult courses - and that is suspect if I even keep up with it. If I'm playing in a scramble where handicap is calculated, I typical just error on the downside and say scratch or 1. Most events & guys in our regular game is of the "lowest score wins" type anyways. Some of the stupid good guys I play against don't even keep a hdcp. HDCP is totally relative to the type of courses one plays. A 1 hdcp isn't the same as a 1 hdcp, if that makes sense...it's just a approximation. Courses matter a whole, whole lot. It's like that story at the pro-am this year when Romo said he was a "plus 3" golfer....and Tiger jokingly said "Man your no plus 3, how are you plus 3 when I'm scratch"
    Don't think you understand the handicap system ... at least not in the U.S.




    I very definitively understand the USGA handicapping system.



    Two guys that are both 1 hdcp aren't automatically equal players in skill (apparently a point that wasnt clearly made by myself earlier). Your handicap is in relation to the courses you choose to play. If you play in a short open course and are a 1 and pit him against a guy that plays at Beth Page Black at a 1 at a neutral site...who are you picking with a gun to your head?






    Dude, honestly, you have no idea how the handicap system works. The 2 1 handicaps are supposed to be equal because he's going to have to shoot better scores than you to maintain it since you "play a course that's 7,100 yards and has a record of 64 by a former US Open champ" (no need to remind us again, we heard you the first 4 times). I will give you that all 1 handicaps are not created equal, especially when one of the 1 handicaps (much like you) elects not to record 66s that would count at +5s on their handicap. You've got a real interesting way of rationalizing this whole thing. Best of luck with that.
  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that.



    You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp.



    The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • WhidsWhids Members Posts: 108
    An old Jones bag sporting 1 headcover only. And even the long irons show sweetspots. Yikes.
    TM M2 9.5 w/GD Tour AD TP
    TM Rocketballs Tour 14.5 w/GD Tour AD BB
    Srixon Z745 4-PW w/Nippon Modus 120 X (SS1x)
    Cleveland RTX-3 50,54,58 Black Satin w/KBS Tour Custom Black
    Odyssey O-Works Black #7
  • ShrapnacShrapnac Cinderella Story Members Posts: 1,312
    Less **** passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.
    Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
    Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
    Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
    Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
    Bettinardi SS15
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • tdelamtdelam Club Junkie Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2012 #253
    Anyone who plays irons called "RocketBladez" and is wearing an entire orange Puma outfit.. those guys scare me lol...
    Cobra Pro Driver | Mizuno MP 32 | Titleist SM5 Wedges | TM Spider | Srixon Z Star
  • CraglyboyCraglyboy Members Posts: 403 ✭✭
    tdelam wrote:


    Anyone who plays irons called "RocketBladez" and is wearing an entire orange Puma outfit.. those guys scare me lol...




    Scared of playing them or just having to have a conversation with them?
  • tdelamtdelam Club Junkie Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglyboy wrote:

    tdelam wrote:


    Anyone who plays irons called "RocketBladez" and is wearing an entire orange Puma outfit.. those guys scare me lol...




    Scared of playing them or just having to have a conversation with them?




    Conversation; I'd be happy beating them.
    Cobra Pro Driver | Mizuno MP 32 | Titleist SM5 Wedges | TM Spider | Srixon Z Star
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE! Members Posts: 11,165 ✭✭
    Shrapnac wrote:


    Less **** passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.




    I GAVE A SPEECH ON SOCIAL HOMOGENEITY AT VILLANOVA LAST WEEK!



    Or maybe it was a streetcorner.
  • outlawmichiganoutlawmichigan Members Posts: 100
    How about the guy in his late 40's with a staff bag/matching clubs, who wears a visor, smokes like a chimney, and has leather skin. This guy hasn't given up on the dream, wasn't quite good enough for the tour, but is getting ready for the senior tour. We have a couple of local Class A teaching pros in my area that are incredible players. Unfortunately, the like the bottle or the drugs a little more than golf. These guys can be very scary to play against.
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2012 #258
    somaplr wrote:


    Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that.



    You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp.



    The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.




    I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. ****, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys.
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    somaplr wrote:


    Sorry, thats not the way golf works. When you are a highly skilled golfer....and golf courses get easier...you score lower. You're not trapped shooting 75's no matter where you play. Doesn't work that way boss.




    Last try - then I'm done with this...



    Do you not understand that the scores necessary to maintain a 1 handicap vary based on course rating and slope? You might have to shoot 79s at Bethpage to accomplish it, while you would have to shoot 70s at some local muni. By design, the USGA handicap system is intended to equalize the two players based on difficulty of the course. And I disagree that some bro who plays at Bethpage and averages 79 is automatically going to go start pouring off 70s at the local muni just because he plays at Bethpage. One requires maintaining, one requires going low. Two different skills indeed, but they both bring and equal and unique value to the table (thus the whole idea of utilizing the handicap system - again, not to belabor the point, but so you can quantify the ability of two different dudes who play two different courses). That's the whole point of the argument that the rest of the world besides you understands/is making in these last couple of pages. Is it a perfect system? No... But it works a **** of a lot better than the broscience you're offering.
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm scared of anyone with a katana in their golf bag.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • somaplrsomaplr Vaya con Dios, Brah Members Posts: 3,974
    edited Oct 24, 2012 #261
    ej002 wrote:
    somaplr wrote:
    Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that. You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp. The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.
    I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. ****, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys.




    I definitely disagree. I have never met a low handicap golfer that his scores stay the same when golf courses get easier.



    I'm done with the conversation as well, thanks.
    Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
    TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
    Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
    OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang
  • outwardnineoutwardnine Members Posts: 383
    Shrapnac wrote:


    Less **** passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.




    I'm sure that was where this topic started. All this discussion over who does or does not understand handicaps perhaps belongs somewhere else?
  • walts00walts00 Members Posts: 1,068
    The ones that say "Kent State", "UCF", or "North Texas" on them....you know they didn't pick those bags up at the gift shop.
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    somaplr wrote:

    ej002 wrote:
    somaplr wrote:
    Are they equal in the eyes of the USGA. SURE. I'll give you that. You take a kid that grew up playing Bethpage...and maintains a 1 hdcp. Take another kid...grew up playing a short open course...also maintains a 1 hdcp. The kid that grew up playing the short open course...hasn't been exposed to course length or the fact that you're 10 yards off the fairway your ball is unplayable yet. He won't be a 1 handicap for much longer after 10-15 posted scores.
    I disagree, the kid playing bethpage probably never shoots under par. ****, he can be a career high 70's guy. Playing the same difficult track becomes easy. To maintain a 1 on a short wide open course means you still have to be able to sink putts and get up and down to go under par. Bethpage kid is putting on well kept greens and playing out of nice bunkers. Where as the other guy is not. Having the "mentality" to go low still says a lot. Comparing course ratings is not the whole story. Guys who can maintain low caps playing various courses will probably beat both of these guys.




    I definitely disagree. I have never met a low handicap golfer that his scores stay the same when golf courses get easier.



    I'm done with the conversation as well, thanks.




    No one is saying the scores stay the same, but to remain a 1 on an easy course that you are describing, which would correspond to an approximate course rating in the high 60s (short and wide open) would require many sub par rounds. The "brah" from bethpage can shoot 73s all day long on the easy and not sniff a 1.0. (73 is less than 79 at Bethpage, but a higher HCP). So his scores go down, but his cap does not. This is the reality of the system. All we are saying is just b/c you can keep a 1 by shooting high scores on a tough course does not AUTOMATICALLY mean you can be a sub-par guy. It is not that easy.
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    The only bag that scares me is my own..., on an off day, that 3 iron looks mighty small.
    Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrd:  Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top
  • driverheaddriverhead Members Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Siegfried wrote:






    Why should another players bag be of any concern, I was always under the impression that it is me against the ball-thus in turn against the

    course ? Did I miss something ?



    S






    +1
  • mweaver84mweaver84 Members Posts: 535
    driverhead wrote:

    Siegfried wrote:


    Why should another players bag be of any concern, I was always under the impression that it is me against the ball-thus in turn against the

    course ? Did I miss something ?



    S






    +1




    Why even post when you can't have fun with this thread? image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
    TM M4 3 wood
    TM p790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
    Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • ShrapnacShrapnac Cinderella Story Members Posts: 1,312

    Shrapnac wrote:


    Less **** passive brag talk and more scary competitor bag talk pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.




    I GAVE A SPEECH ON SOCIAL HOMOGENEITY AT VILLANOVA LAST WEEK!



    Or maybe it was a streetcorner.




    Maybe it's time to stop huffing jenkem.
    Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
    Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
    Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
    Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
    Bettinardi SS15
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • smackygolf wrote:


    scooterhd2 wrote:


    Sd4xD.jpg


    When i see irons with a spot there i say to myself : "self, that person hits every shot a little thin" and that's about it. The bags that scare me are the ones that have a club or shaft I've never heard of because I know them all, I think




    Good observation. One problem....That's a pic of Tiger's 8-iron. You're a bad judge of where the sweet spot is.


    That spot is a groove low no matter whose club it is. Hit a ball there and you get that solid but click feeling. Hit it 1 groove higher and get that sensational feeling that cannot be described. Then again, Mo Norman (worlds best ball striker) said you should hit it it a groove low for some reason. I disagree. On the other hand... I have different fingers
    S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink) Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x) 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex) 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour) 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper) PING Redwood black satin D66
  • PoserPoser Members Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • MatthewNGolfMatthewNGolf Members Posts: 122
    Cartrydge wrote:


    http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream



    Whoever has irons like that in his bag




    It's photoshopped.

    I put it in photoshop and was able to see what they had done to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file