slightly strange/akward experience tonight...

isaacbm

Well winter's already here in Calgary. Supposed to be highs of -4 all week with lots of snow.

I went to the dome with thrillhouse tonight for the first time and had 2 main events occur. the first was within 5 minutes I bought an 8 year old titleist 3 wood for the price of a can of chew, ($22!!) and I also traded a tour issue 3 wood to thrill for a tour issue driver plus 2 lunches at Denny's. So our club whoring idiocy is still in full gear...

The second thing was a little weirder....

A guy we've seen at the dome for 3 years was hitting balls. He's there a lot. I mean A LOT!!! He's about a 25 handicap that just never seems to improve. He works at it hard. He hits balls 5 times a week for a couple of hours and chips and putts too. The thing is he actually has the single worst golf swing of anyone I've ever seen that wasn't a complete beginner.

Tonight it came out that he's been telling everyone he's a 1 handicap. He played in the Alberta Open qualifier last summer and shot 105. If you gave him a 1 putt on every single green, this guy wouldn't break 80.

The guy sitting with us asked him how his year was and he replied:" pretty good. Shot back to back 65,67 and finished the year at a 0.7."

So Thrillhouse and I never said anything because quite frankly, what can you say? My feeling is it's better not to call anyone out on something like this because then there's just awkward tension all winter at the dome.

There's times I see this guy and I want to go help him or give him a drill or something to improve but I just mind my own business.

The trouble was that my 14 year old son was there and when we left, he was a little weird about it all. He asked me flat out why that guy would tell a ridiculous lie like that to 2 guys that can obviously tell that he was full of it. I didn't really know what to say.

I mean is he completely delusional? Is he a pathological liar? My son was struggling with the idea that an adult would tell an out right lie and expect people to act like it was the truth.

Anyway, I'm not asking for advice on how to raise my son, I'm just asking what you guys would say to someone like this. There was just this weird silence until he walked away. I'm going to see this guy 60 or 70 times this winter. Like I said, part of me wants to give him a hand but a bigger part of me wants to steer as far clear as possible....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question here is are you going to have the soup and sandwich and just save the lunch for another time? Because you know, soup and a sandwich isn't really a meal. You could potentially drag that deal out all winter.

I'd suggest helping the guy out. If he asks. Otherwise let him figure things out on his own. We are all a work in progress anyway.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

980F 15* - EpicFW-S

915HD 17.5*,913HD 21.5* - GS95-S

913HD 24.5* - NSPro1030-S

FGTour 6-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

[quote name='heavybladed' timestamp='1350794588' post='5823119']
I think the real question here is are you going to have the soup and sandwich and just save the lunch for another time? Because you know, soup and a sandwich isn't really a meal. You could potentially drag that deal out all winter.

I'd suggest helping the guy out. If he asks. Otherwise let him figure things out on his own. We are all a work in progress anyway.
[/quote]

If he lifts a fork or spoon to his mouth, it count's as lunch to me. I don't care if it's to lick coffee off his stir spoon!

The bigger question here is how the heck does a can of chew cost 22 bucks?

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

This guy lies as a means of justifying to himself and others the amount of time spent working on his game. If he's spending 10+ hours a week practicing and not improving then he's obviously not working on the correct things and just reinforcing his bad habits.

I think the only way to help would be to play a round with him and somehow drop a few hints without offending the guy. But unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon because of the snow (bloody Canadian weather).

So, it looks like you may have to endure a few more awkward silences over the winter. Like the ones I endure with my wife on a daily basis since we signed the life insurance policy. We just sit there now, looking at each other out of the corners of our eyes, waiting for each other to die.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

If I wasn't actually being pulled into the conversation, I do the "look right through you thing", but if I was "in" the conversation I would have called him out, but only because I have so little regard/patience for BS.

Not golf related but last week had a buddy make a deal with me...weasel out of it...act clueless about it...starting shoveling the BS...got called out in front of the makita rep, manager and a couple of salesmen at our local contractors supply. I'm sure he's pouting somewhere.
-D

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350847420' post='5824409']
Unlike Isaac I'm not conflicted at all. I'm just going to ignore this clank like I've been doing for 3 years!

It was pretty awkward though.
[/quote]

nice cover, we all know you are the guy Isaac is talking about!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1350848993' post='5824493']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1350847420' post='5824409']
Unlike Isaac I'm not conflicted at all. I'm just going to ignore this clank like I've been doing for 3 years!

It was pretty awkward though.
[/quote]

nice cover, we all know you are the guy Isaac is talking about!
[/quote]

LOL!

Next time you talk to him, just say "Yeah, I see you out here all the time, this is where all the good golfers practice. I heard some idiot claiming to be a 1 handicap shot a 105 at the Alberta Open last year... what an idiot".

And then steal his shoes...

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1350798662' post='5823227']
[/quote]

This is what i was wondering.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1350850548' post='5824589']
Next time you talk to him, just say "Yeah, I see you out here all the time, this is where all the good golfers practice. I heard some idiot claiming to be a 1 handicap shot a 105 at the Alberta Open last year... what an idiot".

And then steal his shoes...
[/quote]

I should, it would make for good posting!

The last time someone on wrx stole a pair of shoes was EPIC! (it's buried in the junior section somewhere for interested parties).

[quote name='HoosierHacker89' timestamp='1350851328' post='5824631']
[/quote]

This is what i was wondering.
[/quote]

34 gram container of skoal costs $22.09 at the local 7-11. Welcome to Canada guys!

Some people are just so insecure they can't help themselves. I remember the night I won the Masters. I get out of the shower, and Angelina Jolie is standing there, wearing my green jacket and a smile, and I thought, poor girl, she's just trying too hard. On a side note, $22 for a can of snuff!?!?!?! Glad I quit, and glad I didn't live in Canada when I did!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/402059-well-i-just-got-banned-from-my-club/page__hl__%20shoes"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/402059-well-i-just-got-banned-from-my-club/page__hl__%20shoes[/url]

Found the thread!

Also, Bell, unless you were showering at Augusta, Angelina would have had to steal the jacket out of the clubhouse... that's the sort of thing that gets you banned from the club.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='bell812' timestamp='1350907161' post='5826873']
Au contraire, mydearfriendbobhope, as a former Masters champion, I know full well that the reigning champion gets to take his green jacket off site for the year.
[/quote]

I was unaware of this. Oh well.

It's amazing to me that people lie to themselves so much... "I should be a 3 handicap, I just wasn't putting well"... "I would have parred that hole if I hadn't hit my first drive out of bounds"

Honestly, it's probably a good lesson for your son to learn... the fact that the guy lies to himself makes him a worse golfer, but he refuses to fix something that he insists isn't broken... taking ownership of your mistakes/faults is the best way to live.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I'm not trying be ridiculous here....but is it possible that the guy is suffering from some type of mental illness? Did you notice any (other than the lying) in his mannerisms that would make you think that something just isn't right?

Look, there are a lot of people out there that have some deep seeded need to be perceived as something [i]other than what they really are. [/i]

My advice is to be polite when you see him, give a nod or "hello" and then go to the other end of the range. Failing that...you could always sureptiously video tape an encounter with him and post it on Golfwrx....or, this is even better, tell him that you're working on an instructional video for your son and want to tape him so that you can have a permanent record of [i]"things he needs to improve in his game."[/i] Get the guy to sign a release. If it turns out that this guy really is crazy - forget it. If he's only a lying @$*hole then go ahead and do it.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1350912461' post='5827127']
I'm not trying be ridiculous here....but is it possible that the guy is suffering from some type of mental illness? Did you notice any (other than the lying) in his mannerisms that would make you think that something just isn't right?

Look, there are a lot of people out there that have some deep seeded need to be perceived as something [i]other than what they really are. [/i]

My advice is to be polite when you see him, give a nod or "hello" and then go to the other end of the range. Failing that...you could always sureptiously video tape an encounter with him and post it on Golfwrx....or, this is even better, tell him that you're working on an instructional video for your son and want to tape him so that you can have a permanent record of [i]"things he needs to improve in his game."[/i] Get the guy to sign a release. If it turns out that this guy really is crazy - forget it. If he's only a lying @$*hole then go ahead and do it.
[/quote]

funny you should say that. I actually said to thrillhouse that maybe he actually has a mental illness. He does seem a little off to me.

I'm not the type of person that would tape someone's swing with the intent of posting it and then mocking them. But..... I wish you guys could see this swing!! LOL! I mean, he REALLY practices A LOT!! He's got more moving parts than NAPA and more directional changes in the club heads path than a gopher trying to evade a bird of prey! He makes Furyk's transition look silky smooth!

It really is the worst swing I've ever seen for a non beginner.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1350923147' post='5827823']

[/quote]

funny you should say that. I actually said to thrillhouse that maybe he actually has a mental illness. He does seem a little off to me.

I'm not the type of person that would tape someone's swing with the intent of posting it and then mocking them. But..... I wish you guys could see this swing!! LOL! I mean, he REALLY practices A LOT!! He's got more moving parts than NAPA and more directional changes in the club heads path than a gopher trying to evade a bird of prey! He makes Furyk's transition look silky smooth!

[/quote]

It's a known fact that a certain percentage of the people on the planet are crazy....it's not inconceivable that a few of them live up in Canada.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1350929430' post='5828267']
[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1350923147' post='5827823']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a known fact that a certain percentage of the people on the planet are crazy....it's not inconceivable that a few of them live up in Canada.
[/quote]

HA!

Why is it so difficult to just let the guy be? People spout off stuff on the internet all the time. Just tell the boy that some people are like that and that he doesn't need to stick his nose into it. Maybe, the guy is a multiple personality and the golfer only shows up at the course. Maybe, he makes his living by luring "expert" observers into golf matches for money.

Stillwater runs deep.

Not really though... Isaac was/is leaving him alone... his problems are two fold: wanting to help the guy with his swing and how to explain to his son that the world is full of liars and cheats...

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[/quote]It's Canuckistan. My brother in law is from Canuckistan. I've been to three provinces myself just through hockey tournaments growing up.

In short, it's EFFING EXPENSIVE to live there. Their gas is $2.00 a gallon (US) more than ours. Their everything is more expensive.

You know that "free" healthcare they have up there, well it isn't exactly free. It's their ridiculously high rates on everything (their sin tax is evidence of this) is how things like "free" healthcare are a total myth. My brother in law came down this Summer for a round and on a golf course we played for $20.00 (decent course for sure that he liked) he said it would cost like $70.00 in Canuckistan. Doing things like golfing in Canada for the average person is impossible. It's also impossible to get rich there.

Trust me, in addition to the brutal weather, you do NOT want to ever win there, and pray that our country never turns into Canada because we'll be hurting as we are 10x the size.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]