2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

EDITOR REVIEW - MIZUNO MP-T4 WEDGES

PRODUCT TESTED – MIZUNO MP-T4

CLUB SPECIFICATIONS: 58.10, 54.09, 50.06 – STOCK SHAFT DG SPINNER was substituted with DG S300 – by MIZUNO. SEE BELOW FOR CUSTOM BUILD SHEET.

PROS

With input from the one of the games most precise wedge players, Luke Donald, Mizuno has designed a “tear shaped” wedge from 1025E “Pure Select” mild carbon steel – and incorporated their patented QUAD CUT GROOVES. The results are a well balanced scoring weapon.

CONS

Mizuno’s “STRATEGICALLY ENGINEERED SOLE GEOMETRY to provide more toe and heel relief for maximum shot making versatility,” may not provide enough options for those who are looking for a wedge with a variety of LOFT/BOUNCE/GRIND options. SEE BELOW FOR MP-T4 SPECIFICATIONS/OPTIONS. Lefties who prefer the BLACK NICKEL finish are “left” out in the dark.

BOTTOM LINE

Mizuno has taken their superior technology and unsurpassed quality in irons - producing a wedge designed to elevate your game to the next level.

EDITOR/TESTOR REVIEW:

LOOK

With a design that is not too busy or too plain – the Mizuno MP-T4 simply put is perfect. From address its subtle “tear drop” shape and precise machined QUAD CUT GROOVES help frame the ball regardless how the player chooses to execute a shot.

Honestly, after receiving the wedges, I spent nearly two hours looking at them and taking pictures of the back of the club. In my mind – I was sold on the aesthetics before evaluating the face/address position.

For my personal preference – there needs to be a slight progression in head shape and groove depth/width. The Mizuno MP-T4 nailed this in my opinion with a very subtle and appropriate evolution as the loft increases.

Both finishes - Exotic White Satin Chrome and Black Nickel are stunning to the eye. The Exotic White Satin doesn’t look too delicate or soft and its counterpart in the Black Nickel doesn’t create a harsh crisp look that potential could transfer over into feel.

The specialized option of custom stamping is a wonderful touch. There are a variety of colors to choose from: Royal Blue, Yellow, Red, Orange, Green, Purple, Black, Gold, White, Silver, Pink and Light Blue. I ended up taking the neutral route and had SWAN stamped in BLACK, which complements the simple elegance of the wedge.

RATING = *****

PERFORMANCE/PLAYABILTY

I wanted to wait on writing my editor review until I had a chance to play in “real” golf conditions. In the PACIFIC NORTHWEST we are blessed with two distinct playing conditions – WET and FIRM. For most of the year WET dominates our courses – the exceptions being courses/complexes like BANDON DUNES, CHAMBERS BAY and TETHEROW, which play FIRM and tight year round.

FIRM CONDITIONS – FAIRWAY/ROUGH/BUNKERS

Coming off summer – the courses I frequent were starting to officially bake out. I found the MP-T4 wedges to perform VERY well from the tighter lies – probably because I am use to wedges with more bounce. I was able to execute a variety of shots that varied from HIGH SOFT to LOW SPINNING. For me a wedge needs to SPIN – but also have the capability to reduce the spin imparted by the groves and strike to let a shot run if necessary. Some of this is technique – some is the wedge. The MP-T4 provided the opportunity for me to be versatile in my shot making. Shots from the rough provided great spin allowing me to hold greens when I put myself out of position off the tee.

Around the greens the wedge performed better for me from tighter lies than deep rough. There is a subtle sole grind which allows you to open the face to hit a flop shot a variety of lies – but I prefer to hit this shot utilizing the bounce. The bounce on the 58 is 10 which is right on the bubble for me. For those of you who prefer the bounce in this range – the MP-T4 should be on your radar.

Soft sand was negotiated with slightly more effort and a modification to my technique. The stopping power was there – but the needed bounce was not. I had to make sure I came through shallower than if I was using a wedge with higher bounce.

WET CONDITIONS – FAIRWAY/ROUGH/BUNKERS

Well… The weather has turned – and the rain is here to stay. Initially I was concerned to how wedges with less bounce than I am accustom to would perform in wet conditions. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Approach shots from various distances in the fairway were easy. This is where I feel the “balance” that Mizuno advertises came into play the most. I could open the face and drive one low or lob one soft – no digging or abnormally large divots. Perhaps the only shot that was difficult to execute – because of the bounce was when I dropped a ball “short side” on a shaved down area. It took me a couple of balls to really execute the shot correctly.

The rough around the green was easy to navigate – no surprises.

Escaping wet bunkers were very easy – long or short. The stopping power is fantastic – add that to wet sand and soft greens – ATTACK AWAY!

RATING = ****

FEEL

It has been a long time since I have played a forged wedge… For me performance and versatility are the primary focus of a scoring club. Can I get the ball close? Does it stop when I need it to? Can I hit all of my shots? Feel is way down on the list. Well… I found out what I have been missing out on playing a cast wedge now for years. Mizuno defines SOFT with their GRAIN FLOW FORGING process.

As golfers – we tend to use culinary terms or phrases when describing feel. “SOFT AS BUTTER” comes to mind. I honestly don’t know how to describe feel – but Mizuno has given me an appetite for the element of FEEL in wedges.

RATING = *****

OVERALL BOTTOM LINE

Mizuno is a serious competitor in the wedge market. With the input they received from the top golfers in the world – the MP-T4 is a well balanced scoring machine. Ironically – it may not be the flashiest wedge, one that is in your friends’ bag, or on the front display of your local golf store… However, IF you try them – you will more than likely be purchasing them. Subtle beauty, combined with outstanding craftsmanship and superior technology. Even if you are not in the market for wedges – try out Mizuno’s latest offering in the MP-T4 and have your eyes opened.

RATING = ****1/2

I will keep active on this thread to answer any questions you may have!

PLEASE USE THIS LINK FOR MANUFACTURE SPECIFICATIONS AND CUSTOM OPTIONS

http://www.mizunousa...no-mp-t4-wedges

]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review! Further confirmation that these will be on my short list.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

I'll respond to all of you in one message as I am on my iPhone...

How is the spin? Fantastic. I really feel there is a level playing field with the "new" groove rules. Each company utilizes their specific technology to create optimal spin. I really like the diversity of the spin of the MP-T4 if that makes sense. There are some wedges that just want to spin. You hit a gentle chip to a flat surface and bam. STOPS. Dead in its tracks. I have had very good luck with this wedge spinning when it needs to and chasing when it's called for. Yes, technique plays a huge part - but this is versatile

For reference I play the PENTA TP5.

I'm glad some of you are putting these wedges on your radar. As a consumer it is becoming more difficult to determine quality - greatly in part to the fact that some products aren't as readily available, advertised or pushed by our local shop, course or club. What kind of kickbacks is the manufacture offering to the retail outlet? The list goes on and on. Mizuno is not the most marketed brand. Before the days of huge equipment contracts and endorsements - many tour players trusted Mizuno as their iron of choice. It would be interesting to list those players. Regardless - these wedges are sitting there waiting for their chance.

If you do have an opportunity to test them - avoid range balls. Hit a variety of shots with your ball of choice. This is where the feel and sound will really distance itself from cast wedges.

I'm not opposed to marketing or advertising - if your product can back it up - so don't hear me wrong!

These wedges look fantastic.
I will Mizuno would make a 54* with more bounce options than just 9*.

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='lbhitter' timestamp='1350992668' post='5832077']
These wedges look fantastic.
I will Mizuno would make a 54* with more bounce options than just 9*.

LB
[/quote]
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1350993848' post='5832133']
Just picked up the 54' this weekend will be 1st time it will be in the bag
[/quote]

i don't know...? this is our chance to give feedback to MIZUNO though. the more comments we make - the better the chance is more options are made available. i will say it is a universal bounce due to the toe and heel relief - but i still like more with my wedges!

I am a Mizuno man, but I don't see myself putting these in the bag. The look is great, and I am sure they play great on straightforward shots. I don't see that these would be great on open faced shots (the big flop) or hitting different shots out of the sand, though. I don't know if these come with the DG Spinners, but I wish Mizuno would move away from that as a stock shaft, if they haven't already.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1351026756' post='5835433']
I am a Mizuno man, but I don't see myself putting these in the bag. The look is great, and I am sure they play great on straightforward shots. I don't see that these would be great on open faced shots (the big flop) or hitting different shots out of the sand, though. I don't know if these come with the DG Spinners, but I wish Mizuno would move away from that as a stock shaft, if they haven't already.
[/quote]

DG Spinners are stock

great review!! been looking at these to match up with my mp64's. They are great looking wedges

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Thanks for the awesome review Swanry. I massively appreciate ad respect your opinions and thoughts. The only query I have is on spin. Admittedly I have not spent masses of time hitting these but I put this to the test against a SM4 Vokey and the new Ping Gorge wedge and felt there didn't spin. 2 of the good golfers on my club who have mp t4's said the same, they just don't think they spin. I noticed they spin much less than the Vokey and the Ping. I was very disappointed as I really love the look, feel etc.

You obviously didn't find the same thing? I found it particularly that 50 yard or so three quarter punched shot that hopped and stopped on the third bounce with the vokey and ping just hopped and ran out with the Mizuno.

Interested in your thoughts.

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1351038035' post='5836345']
great review!! been looking at these to match up with my mp64's. They are great looking wedges
[/quote]

THANKS! i would look at the mp-14 and mp-r12. everytime i look at your irons review i drool. those look so good - with the performance to back it up. i was surprised how nice and compact these are in person!

[quote name='Twisty82' timestamp='1351069769' post='5837907']
Thanks for the awesome review Swanry. I massively appreciate ad respect your opinions and thoughts. The only query I have is on spin. Admittedly I have not spent masses of time hitting these but I put this to the test against a SM4 Vokey and the new Ping Gorge wedge and felt there didn't spin. 2 of the good golfers on my club who have mp t4's said the same, they just don't think they spin. I noticed they spin much less than the Vokey and the Ping. I was very disappointed as I really love the look, feel etc.

You obviously didn't find the same thing? I found it particularly that 50 yard or so three quarter punched shot that hopped and stopped on the third bounce with the vokey and ping just hopped and ran out with the Mizuno.

Interested in your thoughts.
[/quote]

interesting. i can honestly say that i haven't compared each wedge side by side - however, earlier this year i really wanted to purchase the sm4's. the spin wasn't there for me though. i had better luck with the wedges i ended up buying and now the mp-t4.

i did mention in my review that this wedge isn't a one dimensional SPIN machine. i have owned wedges like that pre-conforming grooves. they would spin from a garbage can. with the mp-t4 i can hit the the full, medium, quarter shot with a one hop stop or let it roll out a little. easier for them to spin than run - but i have had luck. in other words they are not lacking spin at all.

i will be curious to find out how these wedges do after time - will the grooves wear?

Great review. I'm trying to decide between the T-4's and the R-12's. From what I've read it would be be hard to go wrong with either.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

I'll take a look at those wedges for sure. And yes the 64's are sweet!!!

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Mikka' timestamp='1351114908' post='5840859']
Great review. I'm trying to decide between the T-4's and the R-12's. From what I've read it would be be hard to go wrong with either.
[/quote]

I don't have any course experience with the mp-r12 - but the more pronounced grind could be a better fit for certain golfers. Both look incredible!

Nice review, thanks for that and the cool pics. I have used many brands of wedges over the years and always seem to gravitate back to Mizunos, they just feel right to me. I am currently using the MP-R12s white satin and am completely satisfied with them but would not hesitate to go with the MP-T4s when the time comes.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Another great review, has me leaning even more to mp 64 t4 matching set. I would love a review with all the new wedges for 12-13 lined up and compared a little side by side. There are so many quality offerings these days it seems almost impossible to go wrong.

TM R1 Accra Dymatch
Ping i15 3 & 5 axivcore tour red
Callaway Xutility 21
Callaway XForged 4-P X100 tour issue
Vokey SM4 53, 59
TM Spider Blade

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1351679919' post='5871349']
Wow, great looking stuff and nice touch with engraving. I gotta' get in on this club review program! I'm sold on the mp-r grind for sure....not so much the spinner.
[/quote]

i can't do the spinner either...

the mp-r grind is sweet. The mp-t4 grind is there - just not predominate. Again my suggestion would be a combo, and perhaps more bounce.

I LOVE THE LOOK OF THEM IN MY BAG!

These wedges look even better in person. Great review. You would think that Mizuno wedges would give Vokeys and Clevelands a run for the money in the market place.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter