United Airlines and Golf Travel Bags

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm not sure I am traveling in a few days but I don't have to bring my clubs. My guess is they charge for a normal bag unless over 50lbs or something.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

As jdhallissey stated, the key with the bag is ensure that you're not overweight with the golf bag. If you're not elite status, then a golf bag is charged like a normal bag provided the weight is under limit. If not, then it gets expensive fast.

As an Elite, I get it free so I have not ever worried about it personally. But I have been asked a couple of times about the weight until they checked and saw that I was elite.

Since my last holiday through the lower 48, had a fantastic time, I have changed my mind about travelling by air with my golf clubs. I was travelling from Newark to Las Vegas last September on United. After eventually sorting out our booking at the check in desk, the guy whose job it was to lift bags from the scales to the conveyer belt took out bags and lobbed them about three feet into the air and onto the conveyer belt. Landed on the belt with an almighty thud. Now what I dont get it that it took this guy more effort and energy to throw our bags than what it would have taken to simply lift and place it on the belt.

Now unless my clubs were in one of those fantastic travel bags, and I mean STRONG, I dont think I will be travelling by air with my clubs anytime soon.

[quote name='Hammo' timestamp='1355266021' post='6053093']
...took out bags and lobbed them about three feet into the air and onto the conveyer belt. Landed on the belt with an almighty thud.

Now what I dont get it that it took this guy more effort and energy to throw our bags than what it would have taken to simply lift and place it on the belt.
[/quote]

You should see how bags are treated out of the passengers view!

X________________________________ Sign Here

It will count as one of your checked bags, but if your going on a golf trip, I say take them. If you plan on just playing a round or 2 leave them home and rent. If you are going to a vacation destination ie. Mexico, they usually have a decent sent to rent. Taylormade and calla ways in Las Vegas. I play a lot on the road. If you do decide to take them, then I wrap my club heads before it leave. Then place them in your travel bag.

Thanks.. I haven't flown with clubs before (just rented or borrowed friends before), but I just got a club glove off craigslist and I'm ready to try out this traveling with clubs. I'm going to Oahu and plan on playing 5-6 rounds while I am there.. I was going to just bubble wrap the iron heads and leave my usual head covers on the woods.. Any other pointers for preparing the clubs to travel would be appreciated.. Maybe zip tie all the irons together too so they aren't just bouncing around in there? What are some good tricks?

Thanks!!

[quote name='ryancjordan' timestamp='1356491280' post='6117043']
How does anyone get their golf bag over 50 lbs? I think mine was less than 20 lbs when I traveled with it. My back would be broken.
[/quote]

out of curiosity, what were the contents (and make) of your travel bag? ie, kind of golf bag, clubs, contents of bag, etc. curious because i'll be traveling to fl via united at the end of next month and would like an idea as to what kinds of weights people's travel bags are coming in at. i'll be traveling with a club glove burstproof with an ogio ozone, 14 clubs and golf shoes. i'd loke to put some other things in there as well, but need an idea as to a baseline weight before i start adding stuff. thanks.

[quote name='th6252' timestamp='1356581842' post='6121885']
How does anyone get their golf bag over 50 lbs? I think mine was less than 20 lbs when I traveled with it. My back would be broken.
[/quote]

out of curiosity, what were the contents (and make) of your travel bag? ie, kind of golf bag, clubs, contents of bag, etc. curious because i'll be traveling to fl via united at the end of next month and would like an idea as to what kinds of weights people's travel bags are coming in at. i'll be traveling with a club glove burstproof with an ogio ozone, 14 clubs and golf shoes. i'd loke to put some other things in there as well, but need an idea as to a baseline weight before i start adding stuff. thanks.
[/quote]

If you're worried about being close or over, you could always try the old bathroom scale to get an idea of where you're at.

I don't remember what my bag weighed in at at the airport, but at home, loaded up with shoes, balls, clubs, etc. I was in the 30s.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Club glove burst proof, stand bag, rain gear, clubs, balls and shoes 38 to 42 lbs
Club glove last bag, staff bag, gear, clubs, balls and shoes 46 to 50 lbs

And I always use the club glove stiff arm

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

I have traveled dozens of times with my SKB hard case and never had an issue. I always pack my shoes and balls in my carry on though - probably saves me 10 pounds right there.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

My hardcase Samsonite, plus Ozone bag, 2 pair of shoes, 1 dozen of balls, 14 clubs and all my underwear for 5 days (used as fillers so the bag didn't move) weighted 49.5 in the airline scale. I booked thru United, but US Airways was the operator. When the bag was weighted, I asked the employee at the counter if I could throw my parka in and she said no, cause it would have crossed the 50 lbs mark!

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I am Chairman with US Air and my Club Glove bag has come in as high as 85 lbs before and they just smiled and sent it on through. Of course, I packed everything but the kitchen sink in that thing for that trip as I was going to be gone from the house traveling for 28 days. It's all according to your status...if you have some, don't get caught up on the 50 lb mark.

I never check my golf clubs anymore, I've had nothing but bad luck with airlines. Two years ago I had my drive head broke off when I opened the bag and last year my hole bag missing, never to be found. They gave me check for 2000, which didn't cover everything in the bag. I use FedEx and have never had a problem since.

I cant understand why people see FedEx as *that* much better an option than the airlines. Is FedEx really that much more gentle with your clubs than airline guys? I just dont see it. I've used a hard case the last 15+ years and never had a problem. Thats just me though, if I had issues on an airline I might feel different.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I usually fly American but i think the standard rules apply for all the airlines. Weight is the biggest issue, depends on if the counter person lets you slide when it comes to weight.

I did some decent traveling this past year (California, Las Vegas, Tampa) and its done the job. Usually pack my clubs with stand bag, put a towel around the iron heads, headcovers on my hybrids, took the head off my R11 and packed that in my carry on, and always a club glove stiff arm.

In the travel bag i lay my shoe bag on top and surround the stand bag with clothes. Haven't had any problems (knock on wood) though many times my golf bag usually gets chosen for "random inspection" at the airports and i don't realize until i find the card in the bag when i get to my destination. at home though i always use the bathroom scale to help with weight and just work +/- 5 lbs.

Haven't had any problems (knock on wood) though many times my golf bag usually gets chosen for "random inspection" at the airports and i don't realize until i find the card in the bag when i get to my destination.

I swear my golf bag has been inspected EVERY time I've flown since 9/11. I have a deck of those cards!

tsa-baggage-inspection-notice.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1357229545' post='6160223']
[quote name='Eternal' timestamp='1357158453' post='6154865']
Haven't had any problems (knock on wood) though many times my golf bag usually gets chosen for "random inspection" at the airports and i don't realize until i find the card in the bag when i get to my destination.
[/quote]

I swear my golf bag has been inspected EVERY time I've flown since 9/11. I have a deck of those cards!
[/quote]

That's the one!I am just thankful everything i put into my golf bag was still there after the inspection.