HELP ME CHOOSE MY GRADUATION GOLF DESTINATION

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have recently graduated earlier this December from The University of Tennessee in Knoxville (Economics for employer's :fishing1: )

Anyways, my Father's graduation present was a card that simply read "Three day golf trip to any destination within the U.S. or Carribean". I am a 23 yr old, absolutely certifiable GOLF NUT, so of course this decision has caused me to toss and turn, so who better to help me make my decision then you fine gentlemen.

Background:

1.) Dad lives the great corporate life of golf. Yearly trips to Pinehurst and Kiawah Island, lives in Northern VA and regularly kicks it around Kinloch in Richmond, Caves Valley in MD etc.

2.) He has been pushing Pinehurst HARD, stay at Carolina Inn bla bla bla. However as ive said thats a been there done that thing for him and I really want this to mean something to him as well bc our age gap is 40 years and the common denominator in our relationship is obsessive compulsive golf disorder.

3.) He threw a wrench in the thought process by saying if I make an obvious choice of Monterey Cali (Spyglass/Pebble) it might have to be a 2-day instead of 3.

I have way more to say but now im realizing how long this post is............

I hope i haven't bored and I can get a good conversation on this subject going based on what i've said above, WRXers please HELP!!!!!

-JG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SouthPawTN' timestamp='1356568130' post='6120203']
Hey Guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have recently graduated earlier this December from The University of Tennessee in Knoxville (Economics for employer's :fishing1: )
Anyways, my Father's graduation present was a card that simply read "Three day golf trip to any destination within the U.S. or Carribean". I am a 23 yr old, absolutely certifiable GOLF NUT, so of course this decision has caused me to toss and turn, so who better to help me make my decision then you fine gentlemen.
Background:
1.) Dad lives the great corporate life of golf. Yearly trips to Pinehurst and Kiawah Island, lives in Northern VA and regularly kicks it around Kinloch in Richmond, Caves Valley in MD etc.
2.) He has been pushing Pinehurst HARD, stay at Carolina Inn bla bla bla. However as ive said thats a been there done that thing for him and I really want this to mean something to him as well bc our age gap is 40 years and the common denominator in our relationship is obsessive compulsive golf disorder.
3.) He threw a wrench in the thought process by saying if I make an obvious choice of Monterey Cali (Spyglass/Pebble) it might have to be a 2-day instead of 3.

I hope i haven't bored and I can get a good conversation on this subject going based on what i've said above, WRXers please HELP!!!!!

-JG
[/quote]

"Might" doesn't mean "has to!" If your dad hasn't played Pebble he might (there's that word again) be talked into the extra day.

Bandon would be a great choice too.

[quote name='slocagolfer' timestamp='1356569196' post='6120303']
[quote name='SouthPawTN' timestamp='1356568130' post='6120203']
Hey Guys,
Background:

-JG
[/quote]

"Might" doesn't mean "has to!" If your dad hasn't played Pebble he might (there's that word again) be talked into the extra day.

Bandon would be a great choice too.
[/quote]

I agree 100%, especially if u knew this guy, think he was saying that for dramatic effect in front of the 5 women of the family. Plus, the guy is a wine aficionado, subscribes to Wine Spectator, and has never been to the Peninsula, I mean c'mon

[quote name='SouthPawTN' timestamp='1356570621' post='6120407']
[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1356569742' post='6120343']
No other choice but the Monterey peninsula, doesn't matter if it is 2 days or 3 days, GO PLAY!
[/quote]

I read your post in the Ole Tom Morris accent from the GolfNow commercials lol "Go Play!"
[/quote]

You would be correct. Do you play for UT? If so, you have a teammate from Jackson.

[quote name='SouthPawTN' timestamp='1356570759' post='6120421']
Anyone actually been to Bandon????
[/quote]

Yes. I would not recommend a place I haven't been to. Here is my report on Bandon: [url="http://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.html"]http://golfcourses.weebly.com/bandon-dunes-resort-bandon-oregon.html[/url]

[quote name='SouthPawTN' timestamp='1356570759' post='6120421']
Anyone actually been to Bandon????
[/quote].

I went with my Dad about six years ago before he passed. It was absolutely the best golf trip I have ever been on. The courses, the scenery, just the entire atmosphere there is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Even the meatloaf at Irish Pub at Bandon is something to remember, Ha! We flew into Portland, played Pumpkin Ridge, next day went to some wineries which was very fun, and the following day drove the four hours to Bandon. There is one major issue with Bandon, and that is, if you don't live out west, it takes a dang, long time to get there. I think you can fly a little closer than Portland, but I think the drive from that airport is still around 2 hours.

Check out Streamsong Resort also. It is about 80-90 miles from Tampa, and is the Bandon Dunes of the East coast. It even has the exact same architects that built Bandon. Tom Doak did one course, and Ben Crenshaw/Bill Coore did the other course. If there is one thing you need to put on your bucket list, it is to play a golf course designed by these gentlemen.

http://www.streamsongresort.com/

I'd be curious as to where you and your Dad decide to go. Congrats, and enjoy!

Oh yeah, also got to play Caves Valley with my Dad as well. We stayed in the cottage on the course. Great place! Your Dad has very good taste in courses it sounds like!

Hmm? Both? (Three days does not include travel right?)

I am doing Bandon in Feb and Pebble in March - not on the same trip but I am more jacked about Bandon.

For this type of trip, Bandon is THE place. It is golf and golf only. It is THE father son trip. Pebble of course is the golf destination you have to play sooner or later, but Bandon is a much better bonding trip

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1356632199' post='6124343']
Hmm? Both? (Three days does not include travel right?)

I am doing Bandon in Feb and Pebble in March - not on the same trip but I am more jacked about Bandon.

For this type of trip, Bandon is THE place. It is golf and golf only. It is THE father son trip. Pebble of course is the golf destination you have to play sooner or later, but Bandon is a much better bonding trip
[/quote]

Could not agree more about Bandon being a better bonding trip. Bandon in Feb, and Pebble in March........NICE!

Went to Bandon with a friend in mid 2011. We had a great time with the golf, and if that's all you want to do, it's a perfect choice. We did spend one afternoon on a raft trip down the Rogue River (about 1 hour way) but for the most part this is a golf only destination.

In July of this year my son (age 35) and I (64) took a similar trip to SW Ireland and had an equally fantastic golf experience (Ballybunion, Lahinch, Dooks and two inland courses. ) . In addtion, Ireland gave us a better opportunity to sightsee and meet locals. If you want your trip to encompass more than just golf and your dad will ease the "US or Cariibbean" restriction then Ireland (and I assume Scotland - that's my planned trip for next year) might be an equally enjoyable and memorable trip.

Have fun.

Spent two years down in bandon. Its everything and more than people say it is. Played them all around 50 times. Its the best. Go to Bandon. If you are a certifiable golf nut this is the place cuz thats all ther is ther... that and a good single malt after the round

Epic Flash SZ 8° LA Golf Red Tie 60X
Epic Flash SZ 15° Tensei blue 75X
Apex 19 hybrid 18° KBS Proto 95X
Apex 19 hybrid 20° KBS Proto 95X
Apex pro 5-PW KBS $ TAPER 130
MD4 Raw 50°, 56° KBS $ TAPER 120
PM grind 2.0 60° KBS $TAPER 120
Toulon Las Vegas 

Well I'm partial being born and raised in Northern Cali so i would tell you there is no place like the Monterey Penninsula. Pebble Beach and Spyglass hands down pack a 1-2 punch and throw in Bayonet,Quail Lodge, or one of the private courses like Cypress Point or MPCC (if you could get on) you can't beat it. You also got cheaper choices like Poppy Hills if it's still open by the time you go as its being renovated soon or Spanish Bay which is about 160 right now normally 225. The Lodge is historic being right next to #1 at Pebble and the Monterey Plaza is where I always stay, both are top notch hotels. Overall you can't go wrong as Spyglass and Pebble Beach are in my top 3 favorite courses hopefully you will see why...have fun wherever you go and enjoy!

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

First, let's all agree that you can't go wrong with your choice, any one of the great resort courses will be, well, great.

I've been to several, including Pinehurst, Harbour Town, Pebble, TPC Las Vegas, Kiawah Island, Bay Hill, PGA West, Cour d' Alene, Teeth of the Dog and Sawgrass. I each has something different and special about it. I'm thrilled I got to go to every one of them, and I'd recommend any of them to you.

If I had your choice I'd contemplate several issues:

1) Is there one great course that stands out as one I may not ever get a chance to go to -- perhaps because of location?
2) If you like to watch pro golf on TV, you (and your dad) might get extra pleasure from going to a course that's a part of the PGA Tour schedule each year so you get to see it again and "remember how you did on that hole."
3) If the time of year is already defined, if I were you I'd put a lot of emphasis on the courses that have ideal weather when you're going. Every one of the courses I've listed, and that others here have and will recommend, are great but a nice day or two at "X" is going to beat a cold, rainy day or two at "Y" by a mile.
4) If you're going for a few days, some of these resorts have several great courses to play, and others have fewer. Decide if you want to play a course a couple of times to benefit from the pleasure of the replay (Sawgrass for example) or if you want to play many different courses (Pinehurst has, what, eight?)
5) Like to travel far? Hate to waste time traveling? With so many good choices, why not make that a part of your decision.
5) My best tip is to work all this out with your father. Create a list of options, your plusses and minuses for each, and get him involved with the decision. IMO anticipation and planning are a big part of the fun, and I bet it will be great to make him a part of the debate. At the very least, it will make it clear to him how excited and appreciative you are.

Have a great time!