2013 TaylorMade R1 Driver: Review, Video and Pics

easyyy ·  
easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoDetroitRules Official, Administrator  12502WRX Points: 808Handicap: 4Posts: 12,502 Marshals
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator  12502WRX Points: 808Handicap: 4Posts: 12,502 Marshals

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Breaker999Breaker999 Members  1250WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,250 Bunkers
    From easyy's photos, the R1 doesn't look too bad.
    Posted:
  • bravesgolfbravesgolf Members  296WRX Points: 54Posts: 296 Bunkers
    Hated the graphics on the top of the R1 when I first saw the pic's but it's growing on me! Couldn't imagine replacing my R11 at this stage but the R1 (and Ping's G25 or Anser) might have a good chance of dethroning it if the performance is there.
    Posted:
  • MB DirtyyMB Dirtyy Members  647WRX Points: 78Posts: 647 Golden Tee
    I love the tech talk videos! And I mean no offense for the following: I can't help but notice how unnatural Zak's hand/arm movements are in his videos. I find it amusing, actually. In a harmless way, I assure you. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
  • BrianbigoatsBrianbigoats Members  398WRX Points: 55Handicap: 9.3Posts: 398 Greens
    how many cc
    Posted:
  • Big BenBig Ben Members  9350WRX Points: 518Handicap: 5Posts: 9,350 Titanium Tees
    Taylormade already knows how we feel, the industry is maxed out and I'm not being paid to play a walking billboard, poor form...BB
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1

Advertisement
  • ProBowlerProBowler UConn ...... Bleed Blue ! Banned  1215WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,215
    Posted:
  • TMBobTMBob Members  5375WRX Points: 62Handicap: 5Posts: 5,375 Titanium Tees
    Sole seems very rocker-ish to me more like the R11 vs the R11s, which for me at a 45" length sat very much on the back 1/3 of the sole, or to upright.

I did not see the adjustability for lies mentioned, but I think I heard there was a bunch of more upright positions, with little flat options....is this true?

Also, some good news on the shaft front I see,

GD Di 6 and 7 finally and Oban Devo 6 and Revenge 8

I did not see Fujikura Fuel though?
    Posted:
  • ElpresidenteElpresidente Members  334WRX Points: 45Posts: 334 Greens
    Is the stage2 driver on the pic the tour version?? It looks so shallow!! All i can read out of this review is that there is no improvement if your are fitted right, and it is easier to fit somebody right with this club. I think it is not worth the money if you have an r11s already.
    Posted:
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members  16482WRX Points: 359Posts: 16,482 Titanium Tees
    This was probably one of the best written articles that I have read on WRX in a while. I like the way Y3's review was incorporated in the article. I honestly don't need to watch the video. It really answered every question that has been raised since the first photos were released.

I am still skeptical if there will be an R line of fairways. The R11s F is pretty much the same as the R11 F. Are they that confident in the stage 2 fairways? Or do they have something else coming?
    Posted:
  • ProBowlerProBowler UConn ...... Bleed Blue ! Banned  1215WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,215
    Ordered !!!!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • schneidm10schneidm10 Members  406WRX Points: 85Posts: 406 Greens
    Not a fan of the graphics at all. No way I could look down at that. But I'm sure it will work for others. The compass is a little odd too.
    Posted:
  • PMACPMAC Doctor Chipinski Members  606WRX Points: 55Posts: 606 Golden Tee
    Love the graphics......
    Posted:
  • ctfuzz21ctfuzz21 Members  791WRX Points: 105Posts: 791 Golden Tee
    For better or worse, TM knows how to operate the hype machine and the crown graphics will do just that. Even the most casual golfer could tell you what Rocketballz was, bet they couldn't tell you what Cleveland's driver line was called. I get the pro of it, and conceptually isn't a terrible thought, but the decision to do it had to have been purely for hype/ pub. (it'll be in my bag before Easter lol)
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5
    Titleist TS3 13.5 3-Wood
    TaylorMade M2 3 Hybrid
    Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 
    Titleist AVX

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves
  • My2DogsMy2Dogs Members  1190WRX Points: 197Posts: 1,190 Platinum Tees
    Just hate the fact that this years TM drivers will not work with the sleeves of the past drivers. Also no "real deal" shafts just made for. I will have to test them out and compare. Performance is what is going to get my spending cash so whoever performs the best will win.
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9*- Ventus Black 6X.  
    3 wood: Callaway Tour Issued Mavrik - Ventus Red 7X
    Hybrid: TM SIM 19*  Gost X-Flex
    4i Cobra 2020 Utility Iron (not released yet) 
    5-GW PXG Gen3 DG 120 X Flex. (5 and 6 Players, 7-GW Tour)
    Vokey SM7 54* bent to 55* SW
    Vokey SM7 60* LW
    Directed Force 2.1 Reno model putter, 35inches with Stability Shaft
  • Kadin 25Kadin 25 BIG K Members, Featured Writer  6652WRX Points: 41Posts: 6,652 Titanium Tees
    I hit it..

I like it...

I'll have it..

Enough said.
    Posted:

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                    Editor Product Reviews
                    Product Tester/Review Panel
                    Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                    See ya on the green...Kadin

Advertisement
  • RustynutsRustynuts Members  909WRX Points: 88Posts: 909 Golden Tee
    A whopping 2 yards? talk about sucking us in
    Posted:
  • MschumacherMschumacher Members  1115WRX Points: 1Handicap: 6.9Posts: 1,115 Platinum Tees
    [media=]

New videos from taylormade up
    Posted:
  • ron lefthanded holmesron lefthanded holmes Members  2648WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,648
    Kadin 25 wrote:

I hit it..

I like it...

I'll have it..

Enough said.

didn't you get yours for free at the TM outing
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 10*
    Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*
    Irons Ping i200 4//PW
    Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*
    Putter Black Series
    Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS
  • ChrisX831ChrisX831 Tour Preferred Members  163WRX Points: 53Posts: 163 Fairways
    I love it, feels fantastic, I'm trading my RBZ in for it!
    Posted:
    915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
    Mizuno MP15 PX6.5 Flighted
    SM5 Vokeys TI S400
    Taylormade BurnerAero TP 3&5 Wood
    Bettinardi BB1F
    ProV1
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX  4937WRX Points: 352Handicap: 9Posts: 4,937 ClubWRX
    I'm digging the shape of the head and deeper face but I'm not sold on the crown graphics OR the "uniloft" head. I needed a 8* head in the 11s just to keep the launch angle to a reasonable height and that was with the loft at "lower" and the sole plate at O+. (Didn't actually hit an 8* head but the 9* was just about a degree or 2 too high launching for me.) Crown graphics are easily fixed, though, if it performs.
    Posted:
    M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *

(¬¬)
    OLD--WITB Link

Advertisement
  • hmx3hmx3 Members  1334WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,334
    Wow, that´s all and what´s new compared with my old R11?

IMO a modified R11.

And the face angle setting is useless, because you have to ground the driver.

And mostly all competitors offer a better stock shaft.

All in all TM has a name in golf, but the R1 is not a technology leader.

2013 Nike and Cobra make the pace in evolution.
    Posted:
  • PhilfilPhilfil Members  720WRX Points: 73Posts: 720 Golden Tee
    I haven't hit it...

I don't like it...

I won't have it...

Too much said...
    Posted:
  • MarlockeyMarlockey ClubWRX  472WRX Points: 66Posts: 472 Greens
    A grey, orange and black racing stripe extends diagonally from the driver's hosel to the rear-toe section on the crown, and is is accented with a white R1 logo on the heel section. A matte silver section on the toe meets the three-colored stripe to form a triangle alignment aid a few inches behind the familiar TaylorMade "T" logo that is positioned on the front center of the crown. Our first impression of the graphics resulted in a verbal "wow." But after about 20 minutes, the crazy looking graphic started to settle in.

Screen-Shot-2012-12-29-at-10.43.05-PM-600x368.png

Looking at the R1, we couldn't help but think of the racing stripes on the Ferrari F430 Scuderia, which Ferrari made to showcase its racing technology in a street car. Just as racers ignore the aesthetics of cars when they're driving, we forgot about the graphics during testing, turning our to the front of the crown. There, the black "T" logo helped us find the sweet spot, and the white crown and black face provided a strong perpendicular contrast that assisted us while squaring the face to the target line.

There is a difference when your driving at 200 mph, Racing car drivers are only looking at the tarmac in front of them, Also there is no way that driver looks as good as that Ferrari sorry

possibly more like The Herbie Beetle ( No offence to volkswagen Beetle owners)

Taylor Made have in my opinion lost it big time, I regularly play Golf with 3 guy's who own R11s/RBZ drivers and they have all stated there is no way they will switch to this purely on Graphic's alone, The one Guy is a Former World rally co driver, so who better to ask, what you have to understand is this is swaying the Taylor Made faithful ( and i was once a big TM user) to either stick with their current driver or switch to another OEM, it is not going to make guy's switch to the brand that never liked the R11 so who is this marketed at?

jeez how many people have taking a swipe at the Trousers/strides that John Daly wears, well hey John you now have a matching driver available to you.

and before the TM fan boy's start ganging up on me, do some research, the guy's on here will back me up in saying how big a TM guy i was ( former Forum name was TM Tour Club Ho)

Message to Taylor Made, start looking over your shoulder, the other company's have Faster Cars than you this year!
    Posted:
  • ufgatrs82ufgatrs82 Members  463WRX Points: 0Posts: 463
    Big Ben wrote:

Taylormade already knows how we feel, the industry is maxed out and I'm not being paid to play a walking billboard, poor form...BB

+1
    Posted:
  • JaxBeachNoleJaxBeachNole Juicy Members  4031WRX Points: 55Posts: 4,031 Titanium Tees
    I like the crown graphics and the tech in the thick thin crown. I am curious why the CG goal for TM is to have a lower more forward CG, while others, Ping, have a lower farther back CG goal.

I'm sure that it does work better for TM but I just am wondering why this works better for their designs vs. the opposite for other OEMs.

Is there going to be a TP model for the head or just the different shaft?
    Posted:
    M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />WITB Link

Advertisement
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6220WRX Points: 288Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,220 Titanium Tees
    Marlockey wrote:

The one Guy is a Former World rally co driver

1) You have piqued my interest in this line alone (WRC has been and will be my favorite racing) and I'm curious who this may be (I've met quite a few owners, drivers and navvys). PM Me if you wish.

2) Ask him if he ever refused to co-drive based on the livery alone on the car? Granted, he's not being paid to play these clubs as he WAS being paid to silly-seat.

--kC
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • coghillcuttercoghillcutter Members  758WRX Points: 87Handicap: 7.1Posts: 758 Golden Tee
    Gonna be a busy season for the guys at Continental Golf. I don't mind offering other color options like Cobra is doing but those graphics are a tad bit busy to say the least.
    Posted:
    10* Ping G400 LST Tensei Pro Orange 60s
    14.5* Cobra F8+ Tensei Pro Orange 70s
    19* Taylormade SIM Max Tensei White 90s
    Taylormade P790 4 iron
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus 120s
    Taylormade MG2 Black 50* & 55*
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 59*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini w/Stroke Lab
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members  15055WRX Points: 460Posts: 15,055 Titanium Tees
    jokerusn wrote:

I'm digging the shape of the head and deeper face but I'm not sold on the crown graphics OR the "uniloft" head. I needed a 8* head in the 11s just to keep the launch angle to a reasonable height and that was with the loft at "lower" and the sole plate at O+. (Didn't actually hit an 8* head but the 9* was just about a degree or 2 too high launching for me.) Crown graphics are easily fixed, though, if it performs.

Agree with this completely. Looks great and will likely perform great, if you can get past the crown. I hit the R11S and that was awesome, it's hard to think that this could be better, haha.
    Posted:
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Advertisement
  • NTKT10NTKT10 Members  1029WRX Points: 102Posts: 1,029 Platinum Tees
    The paint scheme is starting to grow on me and the head shape doesn't look too bad as well. I just don't think the uniloft system is very impressive. Give me a way to drop the loft down without having to crank the sole plate to compensate. I'd rather go with a lower lofted V2. The stock shaft options aren't the greatest, but most of us will be swapping for something else anyway so that isn't a huge worry.
    Posted:
    Tourstage X drive 709 Diamana B 70
    TEE CB4 15* Attas T2
    TEE CB3 18* Exotics Motore
    Yamaha Inpres X V Forged 4-PW Modus 125
    Callaway MD3 52*/58*
    MannKrafted MA/66 #05/50

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.