How was GOLFWRX Created? (Answer on bottom of pg 1)

18910111214»

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,205 ClubWRX

Good thing I got this explanation. I always thought when a man loves a woman..... cue Michael Bolton.

Clearly Sir you are many years behind me. That song was made famous by Percy Sledge - in 1966.

Sigh...I'm old.
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Posts: 543
    edited Oct 24, 2017 #393
    I'll have to say the people here are much more respectful of each other, and all opinions are respectfully addressed with other opinions.

There is no single golf agenda associated, and the mantra seems to be inclusive of many different ideas without bully tactics employed by at least one other site.
  • Soupy1994Soupy1994 Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'll have to say the people here are much more respectful of each other, and all opinions are respectfully addressed with other opinions.

There is no single golf agenda associated, and the mantra seems to be inclusive of many different ideas without bully tactics employed by at least one other site.

I'd have to agree
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Posts: 1,397 ClubWRX
    edited May 23, 2018 #395
    Not going to read 14 pages of posts, but I did read post #30. I guess I have not been in General Talk for so long I did not realize this thread was pinned.

But here is a timely story only in the sense that I was playing some golf today with an old friend and the topic of BSG came up. It was good for some laughs, but no laugh bigger than a story probably none of you know.

There was a time when the "holy grail" of tour issue drivers were being sold at escalating prices each generation. There was the $1,000 driver, then $1,500, then $2,000 probably about the time the TM R9s were yet to hit the market. This was the height of BSG when BH was selling the so called ultra rare drivers. The early listings with the special lime green Oziks were listed for $2,000. But BH made a big mistake. He freely allowed BST listings to favored members and a certain member we shall call DM destroyed his market in a day. When BH listed one driver at a time at $2K, out of nowhere DM posts a BST listing and sells the same driver for $1200 completely undercutting BH. The ad would go up at $1200 for one driver, a few minutes would go by, then a post saying it is sold, the next day DM lists two drivers at $1200 and immediately posts as sold. And then as the death blow, three more drivers listed at $900 and immediately sold. It all happened so fast, BH could not stop it. Two days, six drivers, and the market price established under $1,000. DM knew this was below BH's cost and wanted to hit him where it hurt. Mission accomplished.

But where did DM get those tour issue drivers that were so rare? How did he get six so fast and ahead of BH when the connections to get them were very narrow? BH did everything he could to be first. Well...to hear DM tell it, he never had the drivers, and the sales were not real. But his rep was established enough in tour issue kit that everyone believed the BST listing and sale. BH believed it and of course banned him, but it was too late. It was not long after GolfWRX got its momentum and the mass exodus put the last nail in the coffin.

Richard and Ryan have done very well by golf. It's not much of a stretch to say they belong in the Golf Hall of Fame as Internet pioneers for golfers. They can have Langer's spot....haha!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,335
    edited Jun 11, 2018 #396
    The other site still exists, but now a semi-personal place for old timers, vintage club lists, news from friends, and club buying from the current owner HossOnMoss.

Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    I didn't look at the answer...but my guess is a guy who returned over 400 sets of clubs after being fitted....and his Ebay transactions are well over 20,000 for buying and selling other returned clubs.
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,277 admin
    Ohh... these old stories are great. we are here and will be here for years to come. Continually trying to change with the times. Throwing good money after bad to change as we see the digital space change faster tomorrow than it is today.

Golf will be here long after we are all gone but WRX will be here for all of us while we are here to enjoy. A place where the most passionate can come and extend the light of day allowing us to be close to the game we love long after the course is closed.
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoPosts: 367 ✭✭
    My apologies, as I've not read through pages 2-13 so if this question has been answered, I'm sorry.

What exactly is 'WRX'? Linked to Subaru at all? How do you pronounce it? Is it an ancronym? Fancy way of spelling "works"? What's behind the name?
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 7,987 ✭✭
    I’ve been onboard since 2007. I love the place!!!
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoPosts: 367 ✭✭

My apologies, as I've not read through pages 2-13 so if this question has been answered, I'm sorry.

What exactly is 'WRX'? Linked to Subaru at all? How do you pronounce it? Is it an ancronym? Fancy way of spelling "works"? What's behind the name?

Bump
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego
  • JillsonJillson Members Posts: 1

I have always been interested into hearing the back story of how GolfWRX was created? I am sure the desire to share information, discuss equipment. courses and share experiences was the reason why it was created. With Easyyy and GXGolfer as the founders. How did this all start? What was this place like when there were only a few members?

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in hearing some details about this success story. But I think it would be cool if some of the oldest members or founders could share a few details.

Here is the REPLY from ownership on the bottom of this page (post 30)... http://www.golfwrx.c...1/#entry6132687

Thanks for sharing...interesting read!
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 4,969 ✭✭

Hopefully we don't need the follow-up story - how did golfwrx die? right now it is looking kind of shaky.

• acrazygolferacrazygolfer Members Posts: 539 ClubWRX

@easyyy said:
    Ohh... these old stories are great. we are here and will be here for years to come. Continually trying to change with the times. Throwing good money after bad to change as we see the digital space change faster tomorrow than it is today.

Golf will be here long after we are all gone but WRX will be here for all of us while we are here to enjoy. A place where the most passionate can come and extend the light of day allowing us to be close to the game we love long after the course is closed.

True that @easyyy. I was there back in 2005 (July 2005 to be exact). Spent years way from the game but now I'm back and hoping to enjoy the current state of GolfWRX as much as I did back in the early years.

18910111214»