Can someone explain the Hogan obsession?

13»

Comments

• bigdanebigdane Mr. Kristianstad, SwedenMembers  74WRX Points: 116Handicap: 8Posts: 74 Bunkers

On -, @duffer987 said:

CallawayLefty wrote:

duffer987 wrote:

Because you are on golfwrx, which has a higher proportion of hoganites than most.

Yeah, you're totally right. Only people on golfwrx think Hogan had a good swing. It's such a fad. I mean look at those mechanics - what a bunch of hogwash. And all this stuff about him being "the best ballstriker of all time" - really what a joke. And to think the guy never even took a lesson - well of course not! Just look at that sloppy homemade action. Dig it out of the dirt? More like dig it out of the dumpster. Only a true Hoganite would stand up for that garbage.

Meow.

I was trying to point out that getting a wider, objective perspective on all things golf, isn't the easiest thing to do on golfwrx - regardless of the topic.

Think you've highlighted that point in spades. Thanks /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Well, does the nickname CallawayLeftie say it all? =D

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2097WRX Points: 802Posts: 2,097 Platinum Tees

His swing looks effortless and appears to be very easy on the body. As I am getting older I have come to realize that I can't keep making my current swing and not have physical problems and soreness.

I started really digging into Hogan because I was fighting a terrible hook like Hogan and wanted to find a way to take it out of my game. Did that with the grip and stance.

Posted:
  • bigdanebigdane Mr. Kristianstad, SwedenMembers  74WRX Points: 116Handicap: 8Posts: 74 Bunkers

Both the man and especially - to me, at least - his clubs should explain why, we are so many Hoganists! There never were sweeter blades than Hogan Products, but they are no "forgiving"/super easy/newbies' clubs. They are traditional clubs, which takes their toll on the unwarned player - at first.
    I have had the pleasure of testing one of the new Hogan Golf Company's Fort Worth iron sets (they belong to a friend of mine) and now I have started a lengthy discussion with the local finance secretary (my wife), why I must have set #15 :)

Posted:
  • Richo666Richo666 Members  19WRX Points: 5Posts: 19 Bunkers

If hogans playing partners thought he was a mythic player, id say thats why alot of the golfing community does as well.I love 5 lessons,most do,although certain sections of the book only apply to certain golfers for sure, but he cared about the struggling golfer because he was one for a long time.
    He did a great job of helping all golfers at all skill levels understand the swing in alot more detail than anybody before him, and he did this not for money,but because he cared about the golfing public and golf in general. That is why people love him.And if you are a golfer and dont appreciate what he was trying to do, you do not understand golf at all,just in the same way people love jack for the book (golf my way)
    Whether you personally like him is immaterial, but you have to respect his accomplishments because they were huge, he lost at least 3 years and playing ability from the service and crash,and if he stayed heathly god only knows the heights he would have reached.But his opposition sure knew the heights he would have reached,thats why they rated him so highly.
    5 lessons was the book that got me swinging half way decent,and i could not believe at the time such an old book could make such an impact,when no current instruction did.And it continues to help lots of golfers to this day,there will always be hoganites and im proud to be one.
    Hogan and Snead were opposites but both made my jaw drop when seeing their swings and continue to do so to this day.
    Happy Golfing

Posted:
  • JD3JD3 Members  5045WRX Points: 401Posts: 5,045 Titanium Tees

Best swing of all time from one of the best players all time. Lot of literature from Hogan on his technique (most of it not followed) and still a sense of something missing. Unfortunately that sense has allowed a flood of charletens to claim they have it figured, of course post-humous to the man himself.

Posted:
    Post edited by JD3 on
    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX 
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13843WRX Points: 1,386Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,843 Titanium Tees

Because the press loved Hogan back in the day, he was voted the greatest golfer ever before Jack came along. The car crash, the MOvie they made about it, then the legend of the secret, and how he invented practice. Then there was the Shell's match where he hit all 14 fairways and 18 greens against Snead and everyone thought he did that every round. Fact is he was a great player, but the truth is exaggerated. If they had Shot link back in the 1940's we would know the real stats, and he was probably better than most at ball striking, but he wasn't perfect, and he hit bad shots.
    A game to be admired for sure, but the myth of Hogan has been nothing but enhanced since the advent of the internet.

Honestly, Byron Nelson was probably more consistent in his prime, Snead had a better swing, and Demaret was probably a better shot maker. Hogan was just steely tough when it mattered, and that was often the US Open. Which was considered the best championship in the game during his prime.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Richo666Richo666 Members  19WRX Points: 5Posts: 19 Bunkers

Its how he carried himself, how he reacted to pressure and adversity and yes how he played...yes he performed when it mattered for sure. I agree snead had a pretty swing,but not a better one,and im a snead fan. They were both probabally the 2 best golfers of all time. Snead seemed to be a little longer..hogan alot more accurate.Its hogans putting that let him down. If he putted half decent we would be looking at the ultimate golfer.
    There is a reason jack and co used to watch him practise,and that is ball control/ball flight control and just control in general.Jack was a smart golfer and copied snead and hogan and look at the results.And that is not to say jack does not have his own style (which is buckloads of power) by the way mixed in with hogan control and sneads tempo.

Posted:
  • tideridertiderider Members  2918WRX Points: 1,948Handicap: 5ishPosts: 2,918 Titanium Tees

because golf is the ultimate individual accomplishment ... you and the club ...

On -, @dlygrisse said:

Because the press loved Hogan back in the day, he was voted the greatest golfer ever before Jack came along. The car crash, the MOvie they made about it, then the legend of the secret, and how he invented practice. Then there was the Shell's match where he hit all 14 fairways and 18 greens against Snead and everyone thought he did that every round. Fact is he was a great player, but the truth is exaggerated. If they had Shot link back in the 1940's we would know the real stats, and he was probably better than most at ball striking, but he wasn't perfect, and he hit bad shots.
    A game to be admired for sure,** but the myth of Hogan has been nothing but enhanced since the advent of the internet.**

Honestly, Byron Nelson was probably more consistent in his prime, Snead had a better swing, and Demaret was probably a better shot maker. Hogan was just steely tough when it mattered, and that was often the US Open. Which was considered the best championship in the game during his prime.

?? ... that's true for all myths, is it not? ...

hogan was a legend before anyone thought about the internet ... internet hasn't enhanced anything ...

Posted:
  • DenisCeselDenisCesel Members  7WRX Points: 7Posts: 7 Bunkers

Me too please

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.