Birdieball Putting Green Review

Newtybar

In an effort to solidify my game as fast as possible, I decided to look for a way to practice the short game at home. After about a days worth of research I was surprised to see that accurate putting greens can cost in the high hundreds and even thousands (especially at the size that I wanted). Keyword accurate, I doubt there's a point of practicing putting on a surface that doesn't simulate the real thing with real speed.

Honestly, I don't want to pay that amount right now because I'm fairly new to the sport, in about a year if I'm still into it, I may build something cool in my backyard.

I kept searching and found Birdieball. Their practice balls were well received so I trusted that the putting green would be fairly solid.

Quality: I knew it wasn't going to be of the highest quality, considering I paid $120 for a 13.5 by 4 foot mat. Even though I didn't expect much, I was still underwhelmed when it came. It was literally a foam mat, similar to the material you would find a foam pool floaty to be made of. One side was smooth foam and the other was the side they surfaced to match a green. Without playing it, on first impression, the surface side looked like it would work fairly reasonably, but I had some questions on durability considering the "frizz" was starting to fall off and get all over the floor.

Playability: When I actually used the mat, my buyers remorse went away. The ball speed felt accurate and the rolls felt good. I was also happy that I got a 13.5 feet long one, since a lot of my putts happen at that distance at the moment. A 6-9 foot (the size where I found most others) would have been too short. I have it set up on the patio and can putt while watching the game, while dinner is cooking, play some music and put, basically I can putt almost whenever I want.

Overall: While the quality leaves a lot to be desired, I was really happy regarding the performance. My largest concern is durability. When I used a broom to brush the surface as suggested, a lot of the top surface came off and leaves me wondering if this is because it is new or will the surface keep going away until it becomes slick and useless. I also want to play with shoes on (since that is the height you will be at the course) and it leaves some dirt marks on it. Also there's no wow factor since it is just a piece of foam on the ground, so if you are person that wants it as a piece of furniture to impress guests with, this is not for you. Even though a majority of my comments seem to indicate unhappiness, in all honesty, I'm very happy with it because it performs so well. For the amount I paid, if it gave me 3 months of fun and practice, that is all I want. If I paid more (like 200), I would have been disappointed though.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed on thew BB and picked up a used Tour Links 9' dog-bone green. Even though the quality is high in every respect, the 9' surface only allows for a 7'6" long putt
I think the best solution to the high cost is to build a putting platform to your desired specs. You get the length, plus you get the added benefit of a deeper hole (a really important feature over the long run) and all you sacrifice is mobility. Use the search function and check out the constructed practice greens from members here. That is the way I will be choosing to go for my next practice green.

Been using mine for the past 10 days. I agree with your points about fuzz and "Wow" factor. I, too am satisfied with the purchase. I need it to get me through the next couple of months, kinda difficult to putt in over a foot of snow. I would recommend this as a good way to practice putting away from the golf course.

Good review and your opinions line up with my own. The first impression people will have is that its cheap, and I can't believe I spent that much money on it. However it does perform and gives you a really realistice roll and performance. I think its helped improve my putting dramatically, as well as help kill time during cold, boring winters.

I've now owned two of them. I made the mistake the of getting the 9x3 last year which was too small for me, and I didn't like only putting 1 direction. So this fall, I sold my old one to my friend, and bought the bigger 13.5 by 4. Now I can practice longer putts, and go each direction.

I'd recommend them to anyone who intersted in a practice putting mat, but doesn't want to spend a lot of $$.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

In terms of durability, since you guys have used it for awhile, do the fuzzies keep coming off? I'd imagine that changes the stim speed rating over time.

Also, I got the Birdieballs for free with purchase. Where do you use these things? They are hard and if you used these at a park or something, you could probably seriously hurt someone, even if the only travel 30 yards.

I to have the BB mat. I found the stance may to be a must have for my 2x9. I use the birdie balls a fair amount, I just hit them against the house. I stand fairly close so it doesn't have a chance to get high enough to break a window, and unlike golfballs they don't come shooting back at you with high velocity.

[quote name='Newtybar' timestamp='1358193886' post='6226869']
In terms of durability, since you guys have used it for awhile, do the fuzzies keep coming off? I'd imagine that changes the stim speed rating over time.

Also, I got the Birdieballs for free with purchase. Where do you use these things? They are hard and if you used these at a park or something, you could probably seriously hurt someone, even if the only travel 30 yards.
[/quote]

I don't know if 1 year is long enough to comment on durablity, but my first one didn't lose its "grain". I don't vacuum or sweep it though either. The only cleaning it might see is me brushing or picking of dirt or whatever by hand.

Never used the free birdie balls themselves. They seemed gimmicky IMO, and I'd rather just hit real balls at the range.

Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='superman912' timestamp='1358209341' post='6228731']
The birdieball putting green is garbage. After 2 years, it still won't stay flat and it's horrible quality. Just build one yourself.
[/quote]

Mine went flat an hour after I un wrapped it, and it's perfect in one side of my office.

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

The birdieball putting green is garbage. After 2 years, it still won't stay flat and it's horrible quality. Just build one yourself.
[/quote]

Mine is flat already as well...can't disagree that it doesn't look like a high quality green. It's definitely blue collar, doesn't look pretty but gets the job done.

[/quote]

I don't know how you're storing yours, but mine has stayed perfect flat. No creases, or anything.

Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Built a wooden platform for mine and it's bolted to plywood in my basement with trim. Been that way about a year now, and have owned it a total of two and a half years. Agree with all, looked cheap when first opened, but couldn't be happier with performance after all this time. I use it a ton now that it's permanently ready in my basement.

Update - it's on my patio now (hard to fit a 13.5 x 4 foot green thing in the house) and some friends and I just had a putting competition in the backyard. Great fun.

The fuzzies have stopped, or it may seem that way since it is outside they just get blown away so I don't notice.

All the friends who come over that play golf comment on how accurate it seems to roll.

I definitely would[i][b] not[/b][/i] use this as an outdoor green, where they state it is possible on their site. I just don't think it is durable enough. It is outside on my covered patio right now, but a bit of rain has gotten to the edges and it seems to have warped the outside a bit (not a big deal to me since the middle hole still rolls true, but now I have a natural break on the outside hole...lemonade out of lemons lol).

My soon to be fiance (hopefully) will start looking for a house soon, once that happens I will probably buy another one and build a platform for it and put it indoors. Unless she lets me make a putting green area in the backyard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...