CHAT LIVE with True Temper & Callaway! Fri Jan 18 NOON ET!

HipCheck

CHAT ENDED. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ARCHIVE.

Join us for a Live Chat with Callaway and True Temper!

Submit a question for your chance to win 1 of 3 X Hot Drivers with a PXv shaft!

WHO:

Callaway’s Luke Williams, global director of woods and irons, Alan Hocknell, senior vice president of research and development and Jason Finley, director of marketing

True Temper’s Chad Hall, director product marketing and global tour operations and Don Brown, product development manager and designer of the new Project X PXv shaft.

WHAT:

GolfWRX members will have the chance to discuss Callaway’s new Callaway X Hot driver which is offered with the new Project X PXv shaft. The Callaway and True Temper team will be available to answer any questions about the new driver and shaft.

***Also, any GolfWRX member who submits a question that is answered during the live chat will have a chance to win one of three Callaway X Hot drivers with a PXv shaft.***

WHEN:

Friday, January 18 from 12:00 p.m. EDT

CHAT ENDED. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ARCHIVE.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Callaway staff: can you give a quick summary of the difference in weighting and ballflight characteristics between the X Hot driver and the X Hot Pro driver? The X Hot driver has more draw bias in it, but is the X Hot Pro driver set up for a neutral ballflight or is it fade biased?

For the True Temper staff: Can you explain how the PXv shaft would compare in ballflight to the original Project X driver shaft and the Project X Black shaft?

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1358302621' post='6236539']
[b]Join us for a Live Chat with Callaway and True Temper!
Submit a question for your chance to win 1 of 3 X Hot Drivers with a PXv shaft![/b]

[attachment=1491607:pxcallylivechat.png]

[b][u]WHO:[/u][/b]
Callaway’s Luke Williams, global director of woods and irons, Alan Hocknell, senior vice president of research and development and Jason Finley, director of marketing

True Temper’s Chad Hall, director product marketing and global tour operations and Don Brown, product development manager and designer of the new Project X PXv shaft.

[b][u]WHAT:[/u][/b]
GolfWRX members will have the chance to discuss Callaway’s new Callaway X Hot driver which is offered with the new Project X PXv shaft. The Callaway and True Temper team will be available to answer any questions about the new driver and shaft.

[b]***Also, any GolfWRX member who submits a question that is answered during the live chat will have a chance to win one of three Callaway X Hot drivers with a PXv shaft.***[/b]

[b][u]WHEN: [/u][/b]
Friday, January 18 from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. EDT

[size=5][color=#B22222][b]***THIS WILL BE THE LIVE Q&A LINK*****[/b][/color][/size]

[size=5][color=#B22222][b]PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST QUESTIONS AHEAD OF TIME BELOW.[/b][/color][/size]
[/quote]

How will the new PXv shaft be best utilized with the adjustible drivers? I know the old PX shaft was low spin and launch. Will this be more mid kick and also firm/stiff tip? If so are you better to go with a higher or lower loft in the X Hot and X Hot pro driver?

Wow, great group there. Looking forward to it. Thanks to all involved!

For True Temper: I'd like to know, other than weight, the differences between the PX Velocity shafts in the Hot and Hot Pro.

With such a competitive market, do you anticipate a trend for OEM's to offer "real" shafts rather than "made-for"?

For Callaway:

When you design a new driver head, do you design with certain shaft characteristics in mind? Or go to the shaft manufacturers afterwards? Wondering how that partnership works and how shafts get chosen.

Thanks!

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Hi fellas,

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

First, we know from the group that got to visit your facility, and from your interaction and postings here and on other social media outlets that you are really going all out with R&D and putting the best tech possible into the X Hot and other lines. And the feedback from performance has been excellent so far from what I can tell, but audiences like us are the geeks and fanatics so we kind of "get it". How are you communicating all this to your sales reps to pitch successfully to the more averagely informed golfer who has not really been as excited by the Callaway brand in recent years?

Second, the X Hot and X Hot Pro drivers are supposedly higher spin heads than the Fit Extreme, loft for loft, yet most of the Tour pictures we've seen thus far have shown that more pros are putting the X Hot Pro in the bag, what's the main reason for that? Preference for the feel or look?

Sorry for the long questions and thanks for your time.

Best regards,

J

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

True temper- what more can be done with shaft technology?

Callaway- with the limitations golf ruling bodies have imposed on technology in the club face what can be done that has not already?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

First off, thank you gentlemen for taking the time out if your day to have this nice bit of social engagement with us.

I am coming from a lifetime of hockey experience and can speak first hand about the revolutionary change the one-piece hockey stick has made for the game. My question is that based on your research on shafts and club heads, is it even possible to create a similar type of product for golf and could we as players see the same type of performance gains as hockey players have seen with true one piece sticks.

Cheers to forward thinking!
-Jeff-

Thanks True Temper, Callaway, and Golfwrx for this opportunity to ask questions!

Was the profile (spin and launch) of the XHot matched with the new PXv shaft? With the original PX shaft being low launch and low spin, does the PXv have better "feel" yet provide the same characteristics as the original PX?

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

True Temper,
There seems to be a trend toward lighter weight shafts and higher torque. In the past, this seemed to lead to high spin numbers. What technology is keeping the spin so low?

Callaway,
Will you be offering the shafts as stand alone purchases?

Thanks GolfWRX, True Temper and Callaway for this opportunity.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

TRUE TEMPER:

What was the idea and concept behind the PXv shaft and technology? Is this the predecessor to the PX blue, black, or a new line in general?

CALLAWAY:

Who is the target for the Xhot TOUR driver. What are the benefits or upgrades from the xblack - and can you achieve proper swing weight for those of us who prefer a driver at 44.5" to 45"?

Thanks!

R.

Guys, we really appreciate you taking the time out to do this for us. My question:

Given todays golfer puts so much empahisis on how a driver feels at impact, and given that this "sensation" or feel at impact is a combination of the sound produced by the head, and the vibration and feeling imparted to our hands by the shaft, how do Callaway and True Temper work together and what type of R&D is done to ensure that the desired "feel" is achieved in the new X-Hot drivers?

Thanks
Andre

Appreciate you both taking the time to field questions from our community. A lot of the questions asked above I am curious to see responses to. Here are a couple more general questions that can apply to both Callaway and True Temper

Focus groups seem to be an important factor in market research to create products that meet the needs and desires of your end consumers. We all know that touring pros give credibility to any company, but what have each of your companies done to research what average Joe Golfer looks for when purchasing products? How do you work to balance tour credibility and performance for those of us not playing on Sunday afternoon for a living?

For True Temper specifically, how does the profile of the new PX 95 compare to that of the PXi? Love the PXi a lot, hoping the PX 95 is a comparable lightweight version of the PXi?

Thanks again for taking time out to speak with us.

Hi!

For the True Temper guys, how does the manufacturing process differ between the shafts delivered in the X Hot Pro( PXv with the blue logo) and the X Hot (PXv with the red logo) are the materials and the QC process the same?

For the Callaway guys, how do you choose from all the available shafts on the market the "right one" to use as a standard offering?

Thanks!

Adam

Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions.

For Callaway- when you designed the Versa putter and thought of the color pattern of W/B/W or B/W/B is one made for a right or left dominate eye player? Or is it just a preference on how it looks to each player?

For True Temper- for shaft design what is the main focus point for the consumer? Spin, launch or feel? Or is it a combination of them to achieve the ball flight they need?

Thanks again.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

when you guys are working on a project for a driver to fit a shaft. What is the process Head then a certain shaft characteristic is needed or is it all at the same time or is head then multiple shafts are tried and what fits best for demographic is what goes as stock? From that is it Callaway going to True Temper looking for a shaft or True Temper going to Callaway saying I have a shaft to use? More or less just wondering how the collaboration exists between the two?

For Callaway: With the ability to install 2 grams (1 and 1) of movable weight to 24 grams (12 and 12) of movable weight in your Razr Fit drivers, are the stock shaft offerings selected based on how they will perform with a variety of different head weights? Is it safe to assume that a "made for" shaft is best suited with a movable weight driver if the answer to the first question is "yes".

For True Temper: The PXi shafts are phenomenal. Specs wise, my success has made no sense, but they work and I don't question it. I play 5.5's in my irons, but I've seen 6.0's touted for Hybrids and Driving Irons. Should I stick with 5.5 for my hybrids and driving irons or is 6.0 better for longer clubs?

Thank you

This question applies to both. When making the club, how is the playing length decided. Is it pre-set for the pro line or is it decided upon testing what works within the shaft. The x hot plays at 46 with d3 swing weight whereas the pro version is 45.75 and d4

How is the swing weight and playing length decided considering the RFE is 45.5 and d4 swing weight

Thanks for the opportunity and great to see good design will always trump exclusive marketing.

G'day from Down Under!

How different are the playing characteristics of the 5.5 and 6.5 shafts in the X Hot Pro Driver? The specs on the Callaway website show the 5.5 as 64g, mid-torque and mid-kickpoint, versus the 6.5 at 76g, low torque and high kickpoint.

What are the key features of the PXv which are common to all flexes, notwithstanding the different specs?

Cheers
Brad

p.s. If you want to pick me for the giveaway I'll happily pay for shipping!

Thanks for taking our questions....

True Temper: As far as iron shafts go, What is the most important factor for the amature player? Feel (weight) or flex?

Callaway: What is your #1 goal going forward as a golf equiipment company?

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I play Callaway irons and Razr Hawk tour driver. I'm interested in new equipment, but last time I tested the driver against the competition, it beat other brands on trackman just fine. If the Hawk is good enough for Branden Grace then why should I switch?

I'm most interested in the razr fit extreme, but why no cost subtraction for stock shaft if fit into something different by a Callaway rep?

Thanks for your time!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I've always pondered "stock" shafts in clubs, mainly woods. Basically form or function? So here are some rambling questions after two 17 hour days of work.

Is a "stock" shaft ideally fit for the average golfer in that club's segment market? Obviously there is a ton of R&D in head design, but how much goes into matching the right head and shaft and tailored to what?

OR Are deals worked out between equipment manufacturers and shaft manafacturers to use stock shafts as basically a marketing tool, without much consideration for performance for their intended market? After further thought, maybe that won't be answered :)

Take the new Project X shafts released this year (PXV in woods and PX95 Flighted in irons) that are in Callaway's 2013 line up. I can see where the PX95 flighted shafts are in line with the company's goal for the X-Hot Pro irons... the decreased weight over prior year S300 shafts should compete better amongst their competitors and help with their added distance goals. Seemed logical to me so I pre-ordered mine stock from Callawaygolf.com like this to start (anxiously awaiting that shipment notification :) ) The PXV in the pro driver doesn't seem as immediately logical from the same birdseye view.... so form or function?

Can't wait to hear this interview. Thanks to TT and especially Callaway for their continued presence here.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

This question probably applies to both Callaway and True Temper....

From reading the Callawrx thread, it seems that the X Hot has one version of the PXv while the X Hot Pro has another. Can you talk about the difference between the two shafts and why the decision was made to use two different versions of the same shaft?

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M