Anyone have an allergic reaction to gloves?

Skin allergies in kids are more prevalent than you might think. When I was a kid anything leather would give me a bad, itchy rash. I wore a watch one day in the third grade and my teacher made me go to the nurse.

Depending on your Sons age he may grow out of that phase. I did.

Good thing they make synthetic golf gloves (and plastic watch bands).

Here's a hip watch band circa 1968....

predator-bicolor-brown-hippie.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

Skin allergies in kids are more prevalent than you might think. When I was a kid anything leather would give me a bad, itchy rash. I wore a watch one day in the third grade and my teacher made me go to the nurse.

Depending on your Sons age he may grow out of that phase. I did.

Good thing they make synthetic golf gloves (and plastic watch bands).

Here's a hip watch band circa 1968....

predator-bicolor-brown-hippie.jpg

That watch band is still hip! :)

Allergies can definitely change over a lifetime, mostly for the better. Rashes can be seasonal too, usually worse in winter.

Fortunately, there are plenty of non-leather gloves. And gloveless golf isn't such a bad thing either (don't wear one myself).

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1358727190' post='6267117']
Thanks guys! What synthetic glove do you recommend?
[/quote]

The FJ Weathersof is a synthetic glove. So if he had a reaction to that, try a leather glove. You can even go more high end and get a kangaroo leather glove. Expensive, but heard the durability is fantastic.

http://www.houseofkangaroo.ca/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1358729424' post='6267283']
[/quote]

The FJ Weathersof is a synthetic glove. So if he had a reaction to that, try a leather glove. You can even go more high end and get a kangaroo leather glove. Expensive, but heard the durability is fantastic.

[url="http://www.houseofkangaroo.ca/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15"]http://www.houseofka...ducts.asp?id=15[/url]
[/quote]

The WS has a Cabretta palm and thumb patch, so now it's a toss up. Is it the Cabretta leather or the synthetic material?

[quote name='jdmorris1980' timestamp='1358730581' post='6267381']
Let him play without one and it will save you thousands! Wish I had never started, trying to go gloveless now. I tend to get my grip pressure too tight with the glove. When I do I use the titleist players all leather.
[/quote]

He won't play without one except for sand shots(around green) ,chip shots, and putting.

I've often wondered if I'm allergic to FJ StaSof gloves, as I've been dealing with a cracking & bleeding skin condition on my fingertips for the past several years. Definitely worse in the winter. Turns out it is an eczema condition, but we haven't determined the exact cause. I'd be curious if anyone has had a skin problem that looks like this:

July262011001.jpg

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

I've often wondered if I'm allergic to FJ StaSof gloves, as I've been dealing with a cracking & bleeding skin condition on my fingertips for the past several years. Definitely worse in the winter. Turns out it is an eczema condition, but we haven't determined the exact cause. I'd be curious if anyone has had a skin problem that looks like this:

July262011001.jpg

Feel sorry for you, there is no known cure for that condition. Steroid cream will work sometimes, but only short term. You can get about 50 steroid injections around the affected areas of your hands, but it is excruciating , expensive , and doesn't last long. It comes and goes, lye in soap will exacerbate the condition too, so taking showers with rubber gloves becomes necessary.

If you're having skin problems why would you still wear a glove? I think too many people think it's required even though it helps little. You're better off learning to have the correct grip pressure and passive hands so as to not injure your hands instead of wearing a glove.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

Sorry to have hijacked the OP. i went thru several tests for allergies and leather was ruled out. I was just posting to see if someone else had ever dealt with something similar.

FWIW yes steroid creams help. With regards to no glove, my condition started the year I practiced ALOT with no glove.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1358737520' post='6268019']
Sorry to have hijacked the OP. i went thru several tests for allergies and leather was ruled out. I was just posting to see if someone else had ever dealt with something similar.

FWIW yes steroid creams help. With regards to no glove, my condition started the year I practiced ALOT with no glove.
[/quote]

No hijack, your posts are relevant to the topic. I believe something in the blood collects at the extremities the body and causes the condition, just my guess though. Let us know if you ever find out a cause or cure.

[quote name='profsmitty' timestamp='1358738188' post='6268079']
Might be worth having him tested by an allergist. I have seen some pretty nasty reactions to pretty innocuous stuff. Might be better to find out in he has a sensitivity to latex, plastic, etc. before he finds out the hard way. JMHO
[/quote]

That is my next course of action. He has experienced the reaction before in the past and we had surmised it was something in the water away from home. It always flared up when we were out of town for tournaments and that was what we thought could be the cause. But yesterday, on a day trip to play, it flared up again soon after he teed off and we both came to the conclusion the glove was the culprit.

He is a though kid though, and played through it without complaining about the obvious discomfort and loss of feeling from the swelling.

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1358708087' post='6265497']
My son noticed his left hand itching and swelling after 3 holes yesterday. We both agreed it had to be the glove, a FootJoy weathersoft. Anyone had a similar reaction to a glove?
[/quote]

I never had a reaction to any golf gloves, but I did have a reaction to a pair of fur lined winter gloves about 15 years ago. My hands swelled up greatly. I had to go to the emergency room to get my wedding ring cut off. They gave me a shot and I never had anything similar since. I've never worn fur lined gloves since just as a precaution.

Maybe you could do your own science project. If you know anyone who works at a hospital, grab a couple of the blue latex free gloves they have in every room.

Wear one under the golf glove for 9 holes, then, don't use it for the back 9. Might not confirm it's the glove, but it could at least rule it out.

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 2 years later...

July262011001.jpg. I have exactly the same scenario. I'm also an endodontist that has always used latex gloves. After no resolution with a local dermatologist I went to Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Tx. Wound up having patch tests for different allergens...there are components in latex and non latex products called rubber accelerators ...these wound up being my main problem. I have gone to Latrile gloves w/o the accelators...have had a dramatic positive response but not complete..I'm changing to all leather gloves for golf and hope that's the final piece of the puzzle. I would urge you to be tested.

July262011001.jpg. I have exactly the same scenario. I'm also an endodontist that has always used latex gloves. After no resolution with a local dermatologist I went to Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Tx. Wound up having patch tests for different allergens...there are components in latex and non latex products called rubber accelerators ...these wound up being my main problem. I have gone to Latrile gloves w/o the accelators...have had a dramatic positive response but not complete..I'm changing to all leather gloves for golf and hope that's the final piece of the puzzle. I would urge you to be tested.

suggestion: wear a cotton glove beneath golf glove. I developed a similar allergy 20 years ago and have been wearing a dematological cotton glove under my golf glove ever since, without a single problem.

Something like [url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Health-Brands-P75X00-Soft-Hands-Cotton-Gloves-Extra-Large/28933614"]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Health-Brands-P75X00-Soft-Hands-Cotton-Gloves-Extra-Large/28933614[/url]

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

• 3 months later...

July262011001.jpg

Although it's a few years later than when this thread was started, I thought I'd see if anyone has come up with new/better info on the above skin issue.

I've developed a milder case of it on both of my thumbs and forefingers.

I can't tell if it's a reaction to gloves or grips. I've been to a dermatologist and used the clobetasol (sp) topical steroid - no help. The best thing I've tried so far has been hydrocortisone ointment, but it hasn't totally rid me of the problem.

I haven't been playing much lately due to a back injury, but my fingers still are peeling/cracking. Earlier this year, I re-gripped my clubs with the new MCC Plus4 grips and continued wearing rain gloves during the humid months like I have for the past five Summers.

Any ideas?

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1442399762' post='12320952']
My son quit using gloves for some time after the problem. He started back this fall playing College ball. Everything is fine so far. Hope you get better. Steroid cream from your DR. will clear that right up.
[/quote]

My dermatologist did not even consider that it was a latex allergy. Although she prescribed Clobetasol topical steroid and I've used the entire tube, it did not help.

I'm glad your son's fingers have healed. Has he switched grips also?

Very interesting as I had been wondering a bit the same thing. I bought some FJ allweather synthetic gloves couple of years ago. For some reason the material feels itchy to my hands and it causes similar feeling in my back like someone scraping the chalkboard with nails. So I decided to ditch those, no swelling though. Something to do with microfiber material perhaps.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1442401777' post='12321014']
[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1442399762' post='12320952']
My son quit using gloves for some time after the problem. He started back this fall playing College ball. Everything is fine so far. Hope you get better. Steroid cream from your DR. will clear that right up.
[/quote]

My dermatologist did not even consider that it was a latex allergy. Although she prescribed Clobetasol topical steroid and I've used the entire tube, it did not help.

I'm glad your son's fingers have healed. Has he switched grips also?
[/quote]

Ask her about steroid injections. It seems to be some form of irritant in the bloodstream that collects at the extremities.

Thanks for the kind words. He switched grips more often when he didn't wear gloves.

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1358730482' post='6267375']
[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1358729424' post='6267283']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.houseofkangaroo.ca/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15"]http://www.houseofka...ducts.asp?id=15[/url]
[/quote]

The WS has a Cabretta palm and thumb patch, so now it's a toss up. Is it the Cabretta leather or the synthetic material?
[/quote]
The leather is sewn over synthetic material, except for the thumb. I would suggest that the problem is with something in the synthetic material.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

July262011001.jpg

Geo-

Yes. I suffer from this as well... more in the palm than in the fingers, but some cracking occurs.

This type of eczema is helped by anti-fungal creams, and keeping your gloves and equipment clean by washing with a mild soap.