Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 vs RBZ on the Launch Monitor

Caesar Palache

Alright everyone ready for another Taylormade love thread? Okay okay I'm just joking, its one Taylormade club vs another Taylormade club, so one way or the other Taylormade is going to lose!

I was lucky enough to have a Stage 2 3 wood show up early so what better to do then tee it up and hit it against last years RBZ 3 wood to see some real numbers on the launch monitor. I've hit the Stage 2 before and loved it, but I was a touch skeptical since it was during a world wind week in Naples, maybe I was just overwhelmed and drunk on Kool Aide? Was it really that easy to hit off the deck? Lets find out.

So I teed up both 3 woods on the range, it was a slow day so in order to get the perfect results, I used my shag bag of Pro V1s...when it was over I hustled out and picked them up before my range picker could get to them. I hit 10 balls each, then deleted the 2 best and 1 worst, just getting rid of random outliers to get a great reading.

RBZ

Really good numbers, 250 for a 3 wood off the tee it just crazy to me. I never really hit my the RBZ on the launch monitor last summer, I knew I could hit far, but wow not that far. Ball speed was lacking a touch, I didn't get great smash factor numbers, not all, so I definitely was leaving some yards on table and didn't quite get the best results I think I could have. My last swing was the ball I really covered well but launch low (by my standards) and spun a tad higher. Swing speed was about 1-2mph slower then a great swing speed for me with a 3 wood (you'll see I was hovering around 100mph with the stage 2). Spin was all great, I just need to get the ball speed up, I was finding the toe a lot, but I was hitting them dead straight or with a slight draw. Not one duck hook, success!

Stage 2

Well theres some good swing speeds, but again the smash factor is lacking. I was not getting optimal ball speed with my swings, against missing towards the toe, but all balls would be in the fairway. I had one fairly good smash factor and that was my 3rd best ball (best 2 I deleted). You can see my launch varied a lot, so I'll say the RBZ was a lot more consistent with launch angle and spin rates. On average they had the same launch angle and spin rate. As I said I was getting 2mph more swing speed, but it only equated to 3mph more ball speed, so lets say instead of going 8 yards further, lets just say they were fairly equal, maybe the Stage 2 was 2 yards longer. But again I wasn't getting optimal smash factors.

Lets look at my best results with each

RBZ:

99 swing speed

140 ball veloctiy

12.9 launch

2362 spin

233 carry

257 total

140 smash

Stage 2:

99 swing speed

143 ball velocity

12.5 launch

2140 spin

241 cary

266 total

145 smash

So swing speed, ball velocity, launch, spin, smash all nearly identical. With a slight advantage going towards the Stage 2. With that the Stage 2 carried 8 yards further and 9 yards total distance. Maybe the lower spin rate gave better distance, or maybe just the higher smash factor gave it more ball velocity. Any way you put it the Stage 2 went farther on my best ball.

SPOILER ALERT:

I CHEATED

Woah woah woah, you cheated and juiced the launch monitor numbers so the Stage 2 would win, didn't you CP!

NOPE!

Are you ready?

The Stage 2 was OFF THE DECK! While the RBZ was off the tee, oh and the Stage 2 was a 17* not a 15* 3 wood that the RBZ was.

So lets start over again, the Stage 2 was 8 yards further off the deck then the RBZ of last year was off the tee, that and the Stage 2 has 2* more loft which is supposed to make it fly shorter distances, essentially being a 4 wood or strong lofted 5. I throw out the ball speed since the swing speed was faster, but I blame the smash factor numbers on the fact that it was off the deck (so why were you smash factors so low on the RBZ? I'm not sure, maybe I'm a bad golfer) Sure sure maybe the extra loft helped me hit it further off the deck, they did have identical launch angles remember? I think you can say the Stage 2 would have launched lower off they deck then the RBZ off the tee if it was the same loft, so the added loft may have helped me launch it more optimally. But wouldn't the lower launch angle have made my ball fly even further? Possibly.

So what about the Stage 2 off the tee? Well I thought I was in trouble, didn't think I could hit it further then 255 yards.

Stage 2 off the tee

First two were ok, then came the good swings. As you can see I was getting tired, slower swing speeds then the first two test. I started by hitting Stage 2 off the deck, RBZ off the tee, then Stage 2 off the tee. I think I was getting winded since I lost 5mph of swing speed. Thats right, with 5mph less swing speed I hit the Stage 2 off the tee 2 yards further then off the deck, and had identical ball speed as both the RBZ off the tee and Stage 2 off the deck. You can see I had great smash factor numbers with the Stage 2 off the tee, which allowed me to kill the ball even with 5 mph less swing speed. I would have love to get numbers with a 100mph swing speed off the tee, it would have been longggg. Amazing spin rates, remember these are Pro V1s not hard range balls, that looks like a high launching driver on the launch monitor. You can see off the tee the Stage 2 launches on average 3* higher then the Stage 2 off the deck, and 3* higher then the RBZ off the tee. Again you may say the added loft helped me hit it further, but off the tee I will say the added loft help take distance off. Think of it as a driver, that high of a launch angle added with GREAT spin rate, I would lower that launch and expect to add some distance to a driver. Not bad huh?

So lets have another look at the bests of each club

Stage 2 off the deck:

99 swing speed

143 ball velocity

12.5 launch

2140 spin

241 cary

266 total

145 smash

RBZ off the tee:

99 swing speed

140 ball veloctiy

12.9 launch

2362 spin

233 carry

257 total

140 smash

Stage 2 off the tee:

95 swing speed

142 ball velocity

15.6 launch

2121 spin

239 carry

264 total

148 smash

Yeah my best ball was actually off the deck, blew my mind, but again that was with a 4mph faster swing speed, the only equated to 1mph more ball velocity.

All in all the Stage 2 head was much much smaller at address, reminded me of an Adams super hybrid or Callaway Steelhead. The RBZ at address with a ball on the tee is just confindence in your hands, face looks deep...ish, and it just feels like you can maul the golf ball. Stage 2 off the tee sets up great, not as deep of a face but the smaller head just fits my eye as well. I think the RBZ gives me more confidence off the tee, even though the Stage 2 was by far the better club off the tee, and without doubt the Stage 2 gave me such great confidence and much more then the RBZ off the deck. I didn't even post my RBZ off the deck readings because I was on average in the 230 yard range, just couldnt pick it cleanly.

That and the Carpenter Steel is great, awesome new sound this year and great feel. Callaway and Taylormade are on to something with the new steel they use on the 3 woods. If Callaways xhot is as long as they say it is, I cannot wait to test these two against each other.

I will do another test with my 3HL turned down to 15* and get numbers to see how it stacks up against the equally lofted RBZ 15* of last year.

One last thing, the Stage 2 was 10 yards longer then the RBZ, funny huh? Alright not the best comparison since its a higher loft, but Taylormade isn't lying when they say the Stage 2 is 10 yards longer, just thought it was funny that this turned out to be exactly 10 yards longer.

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up bud.
I wasnt even going to think about moving the RBZ from my bag due to it being a cannon off of the tee, but the stage 2 from the deck is so good, I had to do it...

Stage 2 is the ish

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='noblades4me' timestamp='1359514730' post='6326781']
So this was the tour 16.5? Is the footprint at address noticably smaller? I was hoping that the shallower face might mean it was comparable in size at address.
[/quote]

Yes this was the tour 16.5 I turned up to 17* but I may put it at 16* to play it on the course

Tour 3hl is 155cc vs RBZ 3 wood at 197 cc

Yeah big difference. Noticeably smaller when I hold them up against each other but it didn't feel tiny, meaning I still was confident I could strike it in the center

Taylormade Spider Ghost

I guess I'll be selling the 14.5 tour Rbz and buying the 16.5 stage 2. If I remember correctly you stated in another thread that you went stock 70g shaft? I have the beta RIP in my fairway at the moment. Have you hit that shaft before? If so what do you think about it in the stage 2? I want a better off the deck club, I hit mine pretty good but it's not launching as high as I'd like off the deck. Also, is the stage 2 sleeve the same as the Rbz, r11 set up?

[quote name='Redskinsfan' timestamp='1359517786' post='6327145']
I guess I'll be selling the 14.5 tour Rbz and buying the 16.5 stage 2. If I remember correctly you stated in another thread that you went stock 70g shaft? I have the beta RIP in my fairway at the moment. Have you hit that shaft before? If so what do you think about it in the stage 2? I want a better off the deck club, I hit mine pretty good but it's not launching as high as I'd like off the deck. Also, is the stage 2 sleeve the same as the Rbz, r11 set up?
[/quote]

Funny I did the same thing! Sold my RBZ tour from last year.

I have no experience with the rip beta is a wood only in a driver. I have the 70 g matrix shaft in the stage 2 and love it. Never on e thought of it as a stock shaft. I can launch this pretty easily off the deck.

Sleeve looks the same but I do not think its the same. Ill double check but I'm guna guess no. Looks more like the r 9 sleeve

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Redskinsfan' timestamp='1359518751' post='6327281']
I'm sorry, what I meant was will the old sleeves work in the stage 2?
[/quote]

I don't think they do. They look similar but I know the driver sleeves are different then last year so I assume same with the woods

Taylormade Spider Ghost

Thanks for the write up cp. That is simply amazing. TM needs to put you on staff. :D Looks like you're going to move alot of clubs for them this year. Your review is rather compelling and because of it I'll be picking up one those beasts. The longest 3 wood I've ever played was the RBZ Tour and the Super Ti XTD. I swing 3 wood around 106-107 so this should be fun.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Looks good buddy!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[/quote]

Negative

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Head size not radically different from last year on the tour models

Rbz - 191cc
Rbz tour -171cc

Adams xtd 145cc 3 w

Stage 2
Regular non tour stage 2
[attachment=1513255:image.jpg]

Tour and TP
[attachment=1513257:image.jpg]

Some one asked about shafts,MRC blue board 83x, worked very well in the rbz tour head

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1359519627' post='6327371']
[/quote]

I don't think they do. They look similar but I know the driver sleeves are different then last year so I assume same with the woods
[/quote]
Great review...Is there a chance to review a RBZ tour hybrid against a RBZ Stage 2 tour hybrid? I would like to see your numbers comparing these 2 clubs. Hopefully we will still have taylormade winning in this competition as well. Thanks!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Anyone know the face angle on the Stage 2 Tour? I'm not looking to play with the adjustability either, just face angle at Neutral.

Cobra BC Pro w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65 TX
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* w/ Matrix Code 8x
Nike VR Pro LE 19* 5W w/ Kuro Kage 80x
Mizuno MP H4 4-PW w/ True Temper DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 50*,54*,60* w/ DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

[quote name='scottleo' timestamp='1359551358' post='6328687']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Great review...Is there a chance to review a RBZ tour hybrid against a RBZ Stage 2 tour hybrid? I would like to see your numbers comparing these 2 clubs. Hopefully we will still have taylormade winning in this competition as well. Thanks!
[/quote]

i will be getting the stage 2 tour hybrids in but i do not have any rbz tour hybrids from last year left, we sold out. all i have is a RBZ 3 hybrid at 19* non tour

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1359556714' post='6329135']
What about RBZ Tour vs S2 Tour head to head off the deck?
[/quote]

ill run some more tests in the next few days, but i can tell you i was averaging 230 yards off the deck with the RBZ 3 wood, i sold my tour 3 from last year but i have another on i can test, its a low bullet all day long club off the deck.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1359559020' post='6329433']
[quote name='scottleo' timestamp='1359551358' post='6328687']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

i will be getting the stage 2 tour hybrids in but i do not have any rbz tour hybrids from last year left, we sold out. all i have is a RBZ 3 hybrid at 19* non tour
[/quote]
That'll work....

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1359564058' post='6330117']
Were the shafts the same and did the heads have the same loft and lie angle? If not, your results don't have much validity. Interesting, nonetheless.
[/quote]

If re-read this you'll notice the stage 2 was actually a 17* 4 wood not a 15* 3 wood that the RBZ was, meaning the stage 2 shouldnhave been a touch shorter distance wise. The point was to show how easy the stage 2 is to hit off the deck. Same weight stock shaft.

Sorry for the lack of validity, But as I said i am going to redo the test at the same loft to show how much longer the stage 2 truly is, at least I think it will be.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Gmachine' timestamp='1359562326' post='6329911']
damn you! i thought: "great, i don't have to replace my rbz." then i went on to read the rest of your post!!! ahhhhhh!!!!! now i have to replace my rbz and get stage 2... damn you! :-)
[/quote]

Haha this post is awesome.

Just go out and hit it! Make sure its a good fit for you.

Taylormade Spider Ghost

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1359564765' post='6330199']
[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1359564058' post='6330117']
Were the shafts the same and did the heads have the same loft and lie angle? If not, your results don't have much validity. Interesting, nonetheless.
[/quote]

If re-read this you'll notice the stage 2 was actually a 17* 4 wood not a 15* 3 wood that the RBZ was, meaning the stage 2 shouldnhave been a touch shorter distance wise. The point was to show how easy the stage 2 is to hit off the deck. Same weight stock shaft.

Sorry for the lack of validity, But as I said i am going to redo the test at the same loft to show how much longer the stage 2 truly is, at least I think it will be.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not doubting that the Stage 2 is in fact longer. I just think some true comparisons would be more accurate. :)