My First Paintfill - Cameron 2012 Select Blue / White

All,

I learned a lot from reading the paintfill 101 thread and others on this forum. This weekend with the cold in Indiana I decided I would try to change the fill on my Cameron Select. I am gearing up for my golf trip to Orlando in a few weeks.

I used Tamiya paints, including blue, white, and clear blue. I am really happy with how it turned out. I learned a lot along the way and will be doing this again in the future. I went ahead and stripped all my irons and re-filled them with black just to give them a new fresh look.

I used Citristrip to remove the old fill, and was happy with it. The best trick was using rubbing alcohol in the bombs to get the paint to spread evenly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great man! Love the blue. Just don't ever do paintwork on a towell on the living room floor while you watch television, because some could spill and miss the towell and get on the carpet. Girlfriends could get extremely mad..not that I know from experience of course..just hypothetical.

Looks great - I did one like that in USNA blue/gold colors. You a Kentucky fan?

[attachment=1524341:IMG_0746.jpg]

[attachment=1524343:IMG_0748.jpg]

[attachment=1524345:IMG_0739.jpg]

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1360118561' post='6370495']
Basically you put the face down flat and put a drop of alcohol in each of the three bombs. Then you put in a drop or two of the paint in and the paint rides in the alcohol to spread out really well. Then alcohol quickly evaporates and you're left with a nice smooth paintfill in the bombs.
[/quote]

Going to have to try that.

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1360118561' post='6370495']
Basically you put the face down flat and put a drop of alcohol in each of the three bombs. Then you put in a drop or two of the paint in and the paint rides in the alcohol to spread out really well. Then alcohol quickly evaporates and you're left with a nice smooth paintfill in the bombs.
[/quote]

That's a really good idea. Did you use this same method on the sole weights?

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

This looks outstanding. I've just ordered my first Scotty Select Newport 1.5 because of how well I putted with the one in the store (34 inch, 2* Flat). I'll be honest though, I want the same paintfill colors as you've done here (or maybe something other than white with the blue). Is there any risk of damaging the black finish during the stripping process? Also, how did you get the paint into the spaces, i.e. what kind of applicator did you use? Finally, how did you remove the excess and seal the finished product?

What was the specific blue that you used?

Someone told me the Citristrip wouldn't damages the black finish and they were right. However, I did see on here that someone used a scotchbrite pad or something it theirs and roughed it up a good bit, so don't do that.

I used one the needle bottle applicators they had at the hobby shot where I bought the paint. I used Tamiya acrylics, just standard blue and white, with clear blue in the bombs and weights.

To remove the excess just use to weak acetone or nail polish remover and use a clean wipe every pass or two and definitely for each color.

I didn't seal mine, just let it dry for a few days before play.

Good luck

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1361325090' post='6461975']
Someone told me the Citristrip wouldn't damages the black finish and they were right. However, I did see on here that someone used a scotchbrite pad or something it theirs and roughed it up a good bit, so don't do that.

I used one the needle bottle applicators they had at the hobby shot where I bought the paint. I used Tamiya acrylics, just standard blue and white, with clear blue in the bombs and weights.

To remove the excess just use to weak acetone or nail polish remover and use a clean wipe every pass or two and definitely for each color.

I didn't seal mine, just let it dry for a few days before play.

Good luck
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I'm really hoping the cameron comes in today or tomorrow (my days off this week) so that I can get to work on it.

I did my 1.5 in lime and blue the other day, but I had the hardest time with filling the 2 lines on the sole. I did one of them in lime and the other in blue. I did one at a time, to allow time for drying, but some of the paint still bled. what did you do to fill in the lines and make them look sharp?

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

McKennwa...how much paint did you actually use in the bombs? I've tried anywhere from a drop or two (seemed too thin to look good) to as much as 5 or 6 drops from a toothpick (got tons of bubbles). In all cases, i'm left with bubbles. I tried the stirring trick, no avail. I've now done the bombs for about the 10th time tonight and i think they are still going to have bubbles.

Should I try thinning it with acetone after I put the paint in the bombs and just let it sort of "flash dry"? Anyone else have problems getting the bombs to come out nicely.

Also, how in the world did you do the rest of the bottom of the face and the weights? Did you remove the weights? What sort of applicator did you use for the lettering and did you thin those with alcohol as well or just use straight paint?

[quote name='Jethro1984' timestamp='1361852592' post='6504035']
McKennwa...how much paint did you actually use in the bombs? I've tried anywhere from a drop or two (seemed too thin to look good) to as much as 5 or 6 drops from a toothpick (got tons of bubbles). In all cases, i'm left with bubbles. I tried the stirring trick, no avail. I've now done the bombs for about the 10th time tonight and i think they are still going to have bubbles.

Should I try thinning it with acetone after I put the paint in the bombs and just let it sort of "flash dry"? Anyone else have problems getting the bombs to come out nicely.

Also, how in the world did you do the rest of the bottom of the face and the weights? Did you remove the weights? What sort of applicator did you use for the lettering and did you thin those with alcohol as well or just use straight paint?
[/quote]

Jethro you can paint the letters simply by brushing over them completely. Don't worry, it's gonna look ugly when you do it, but after you have them painted take a dry paper towel, dab a spot of it in acetone and do a flat wipe right over the letters. Do a couple times if need be with a clean part of the paper towel each time. It will take all of the paint off of the sole of the putter and magically leave the letters filled in perfectly. I'm serious it will.

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

First of all, this was a big trial and error process for me as well, but that's half the satisfaction when it's done!

I started with the bombs and weights and let them dry overnight. I then used electrical tape to seal them off so as to not accidentally damage them while doing the rest. For the bombs, I put two drops of paint in each I think (from my needle applicator bottle). Maybe three in each weight. It doesn't look like enough, but let it dry! Each time I thought it wasn't enough and put more and more in and it either bubbled or looked bad when it dried. The paint appears to color in more as it dries, if that makes sense. If you get bubbles, try spraying on some alcohol with a mister or starting over, that worked for me. I never stirred the paint once applied or used acetone. I did however use 70% alcohol I think, but I'm not sure of how that would impact the paint.

The biggest problem for me was getting the two lines on the sole to look good as well. That is a big area to fill, and the ridges in it don't help. I covered the lines in painters tape (one at a time) and then carved out the area of line with an exact-o knife. Then I filled it and let it dry completely before peeling the tape. This was the only thing that worked for me. I also thinned the paint a bit with alcohol to get it to spread easier.

Filling in the rest of the lettering is easy. I just used straight paint here, not thinning or alcohol. I had a needle applicator, but you can be messy and just wipe it off with acetone or whatnot after it dries. The paint will stay in the letters, just don't use too much pressure.

thanks for the tip on filling the 2 lines, that has been giving me fits. I used masking tape to cover them and did one at a time as well, but the paint bled through the masking tape. I was trying to avoid going to Home Depot and buying the painter's tape, but i think thats what i'm gonna have to do. Everything else was good, well, i want to do the bombs again, i'm a bit anal about details and it doesn't look quite right to me yet.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

Well I had all the white lettering done as of last night (and let it dry overnight). Then I tried to seal them off and do the blue lettering today and it ran under the painters tape and got in a few of the letters. So I had to redo a few of the white letters. I'm guessing I will need to seal everything off with something clear. I was thinking Sally Mae Hard As Nails clear polish (what I've used before), because as much of a headache as the putter has been I don't want to do it again soon. Any other recommendations?

I'm also thinking next time that I will use Testors Enamel paint. I've used acrylic the last few times on the irons and it doesn't hold up plus this Tamiya stuff doesn't seem all that great.

:angry22: Well the sole of the putter is done except for the weights. I'll put up some pics soon. I had a couple bubbles in the big letters (I think the paint may be old) but no paint bleeds until I sealed it with Hard As Nails and then I got a bit of blue in a couple of the white places :angry22:. And now it's sealed in there unless I start over again (basically). I'll leave it for now because this has been a long process and I guess this way you know it was a custom job.

Also have to do the sight line but I don't know what color to use (what was it before?)

[quote name='Jethro1984' timestamp='1362594177' post='6558665']
Also have to do the sight line but I don't know what color to use (what was it before?)
[/quote]

the sight line is a smokey color. I redid mine in a royal blue

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

[quote name='Jethro1984' timestamp='1362594177' post='6558665']
:angry22: Well the sole of the putter is done except for the weights. I'll put up some pics soon. I had a couple bubbles in the big letters (I think the paint may be old) but no paint bleeds until I sealed it with Hard As Nails and then I got a bit of blue in a couple of the white places :angry22:. And now it's sealed in there unless I start over again (basically). I'll leave it for now because this has been a long process and I guess this way you know it was a custom job.

[/quote]

Actually was able to clean up the blue spots from the white with some acetone. Then reseal everything. So aside from some bubbles in the "SELECT" letters, i'm pretty happy with the finished product except that I probably need to redo the stripes, they are full of fuzz from the q-tips.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1360109480' post='6369543']
All,

I learned a lot from reading the paintfill 101 thread and others on this forum. This weekend with the cold in Indiana I decided I would try to change the fill on my Cameron Select. I am gearing up for my golf trip to Orlando in a few weeks.

I used Tamiya paints, including blue, white, and clear blue. I am really happy with how it turned out. I learned a lot along the way and will be doing this again in the future. I went ahead and stripped all my irons and re-filled them with black just to give them a new fresh look.

I used Citristrip to remove the old fill, and was happy with it. The best trick was using rubbing alcohol in the bombs to get the paint to spread evenly.

[attachment=1523691:photo(2).JPG]

[attachment=1523697:photo.JPG]

[attachment=1523695:photo(1).JPG]
[/quote]
Very nice. so you used the clear blue on the dots and reg gloss blue for the letters?

• 4 months later...