How do u all vent on the course?

statechamps08 ·  
statechamps08statechamps08 Members  345WRX Points: 0Posts: 345
any tips on dealing with anger?
just wondering what u all do when ur having a bad day or bad strech of holes
Posted:

Comments

• ckayckay Members  4430WRX Points: 572Posts: 4,430 Titanium Tees
    It's tough to overcome...I just look around and let "nature" calm me down and to clear my thoughts. Back when I played competitively in high school and, regional MGA, and AJGA...early on I'd slam clubs and let out profanity. I was then matched with a kid that was worse than I...and realized how stupid he looked, which in turn made me realize how stupid I looked.

Now walking between shots, I'll try to clear my head as much as possible...even if it means talking to a playing partner between shots. Then, when you get to your ball, its all business again...and by then your head is already clear for the most part...just focus on the task at hand and get the job done. That has improved my mental game significantly...even just looking around and telling yourself how beautiful of a day it is to be out playing golf does wonders. Really changes my mindset.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned  2894WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,894
    Sounds stupid but chew some gum. Its been proven to release stress. If your having a bad day think about your family, friends and think how lucky you are to get the chance to play golf.
    Posted:
  • statechamps08statechamps08 Members  345WRX Points: 0Posts: 345
    yeah me and this other kid on my team cuss and stuff but idk it cools me down............like i dont throw it to break it or hard but i kinda trew my putter @ my bag @ the end of the round cuse i hit 7 greens and had 17 putts and shot 37 and was really pissed.............idk some people look @ me weird but weh ni beat them i could really care less...........i tried the be calm and talk to yourself but it wasnt working for me..........i mean i can cuss under my breath and that wroks sometimes and i can keep form throwing clubs...........but letting out a loud f**k clams me out a lot haha
    Posted:
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members  6601WRX Points: 270Posts: 6,601 Titanium Tees
    I will often have a little "self talk"...hahaha. It sounds crazy, but if little else you can regroup and get yourself back to a positive frame of mind. And it psyches out your opponents when they see you having a full blown convo with yourself...
    Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
    Taylormade M6 Tour 15* w/ Accra Tour Z RT Proto 75 (M4)
    Ping G410 19* & 22* w/ KBS Proto 85 (S)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • emcemc Jr. Boomers  987WRX Points: 0Posts: 987
    I just start playing a song in my head in between shots to cool me down.
    Posted:
  • Ditty_72Ditty_72 Jr. Boomers, Lefty Boomers  637WRX Points: 0Posts: 637
    emc wrote on Mar 13 2007, 03:26 AM:

You beat me to it, I was gonna say I do the same thing. Really works. Especially if it's a song with lots of screaming.

Another thing I do is after a bad shot I'll just stop, close my eyes, and take a really deep breath. Usually I start thinking of a song right then actually. It's tough to overcome... I know I need some work on controlling my mental state while I'm playing.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • PdoughertyPdougherty Jr. Boomers  432WRX Points: 0Posts: 432
    Ditty_72 wrote on Mar 13 2007, 07:19 AM:

emc wrote on Mar 13 2007, 03:26 AM:

You beat me to it, I was gonna say I do the same thing. Really works. Especially if it's a song with lots of screaming.

Another thing I do is after a bad shot I'll just stop, close my eyes, and take a really deep breath. Usually I start thinking of a song right then actually. It's tough to overcome... I know I need some work on controlling my mental state while I'm playing.

Bingo!!!

Do whatever you can to keep your emotions and profanity under control on the course. People will always remember you for throwing your club at something or dropping the f bomb.

I played 3 holes with a kid last year and I would say he said the f bomb 20-30 times in those 3 holes. He also threw his 7 iron into a gully and made himself look like a complete idiot when he fell going into the gully that was at least 20 feet deep to get his club. nobody could stand the kid.
    Posted:
  • drpinodrpino NYMarshals  8976WRX Points: 73Posts: 8,976 Marshals
    i do let out the F-bomb once in a while but usually try and take a few deep breaths, walk at a relaxed pace to my next shot and stick to my routine. the last part is what really helps me focus on the next shot instead of dwelling on the previous bad one(s).
    Posted:
    It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

WITB: constant rotation
  • alcap26alcap26 Charter Members  1379WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,379 Platinum Tees
    I either grab my towel and yell into it or I think of how lucky i am to be out playing this game when there are many other in a lot worse shape than I am...such as Darfor. (I hope I spelled that right)
    Posted:
  • dtwainrightdtwainright Members  433WRX Points: 0Posts: 433
    trotgolfer wrote on Mar 13 2007, 12:35 AM:

Sounds stupid but chew some gum. Its been proven to release stress. If your having a bad day think about your family, friends and think how lucky you are to get the chance to play golf.

You hit the nail on the head! Maybe it's different for junior golfers because your still trying to get into college or make a career out of golf. For those of us who already have careers and kids, you learn that golf is not that important and you can put things into perspective.

A bad shot on the golf course? Nothing compared to living with a disability and not being able to play at all, or not having a job to support a family, or so on.
    Posted:
  • asitliesasitlies Members  241WRX Points: 55Posts: 241 Fairways
    Sometimes, I simply squeeze the club I am holding as hard as I can for as long as I'm angry - just crushing the grip in my hand - and when I let go, I've been distracted, and actually let it out physically... (luckily, I can't actually crush them...)
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • xal951xal951 Jr. Boomers  463WRX Points: 0Posts: 463
    i always carry a towel with me but when I hit a bad shot I immediately start think about the next shot. I will bite my towel as hard as i can sometimes too just to take it out on something.
    Posted:
  • tylerbrowder8-4tylerbrowder8-4 Members  1186WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,186 Bunkers
    xal951 wrote on Mar 13 2007, 11:58 AM:

i always carry a towel with me but when I hit a bad shot I immediately start think about the next shot. I will bite my towel as hard as i can sometimes too just to take it out on something.

i agree with xal, really there is nothing you can do about that shot, its over and done with. all you need to think about is how you can get it to the hole. believe me i am a hot head because i expect every shot to be perfect and we all kno thats not going to happen. ive broken plenty of clubs. but i havent in a while because it finally hit me how much money comes out of it. its easy to say it but its hard to stay calm when your under pressure but i just take it to be fuel to my fire to deside what i need to be doing on the next shot. not by chewing your self out for what you did wrong on the last shot you hit. because thats only going to make things worse cause while your setting up to your next shot your still pissed about what happend on the last shot. this is the hardest sport in the world. <---thats why i love the game of golf. youll never have the perfect round.
    Posted:
  • thenextnumber1thenextnumber1 Members  376WRX Points: 0Posts: 376
    this is the hardest sport in the world. <---thats why i love the game of golf. youll never have the perfect round.

lol! Thats why I hate this game!
    Posted:
  • tylerbrowder8-4tylerbrowder8-4 Members  1186WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,186 Bunkers
    your right at times its a love hate relationship
    Posted:
  • hattrick3518hattrick3518 Jr. Boomers  2022WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,022
    whenever i get angry i just take some time to look around and see how beautiful the game and the surroundings are, and just realize how fortunate i am to have parents that support my choice to play golf, its a definate pocket buster for some, and then i just realize that no one is perfect so just be happy and look at the progress i have made and hopefully the progress that i will make
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • karjarkarjar Members  219WRX Points: 55Posts: 219 Fairways
    Acceptance. don't have a pre-determined end score in mind. when the shot is done, it's done, accept it, and get ready to make you next shot. anger comes from having an expectation of your results. You don't control results, only the process. so forget it, relax, and think positively about the next shot. Like Hogan said, he would be lucky to hit 2 or 3 perfect shots in a round. It's about recovering from your misses.
    Posted:
  • sync71sync71 Jr. Boomers  1534WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,534
    I agree with what everyone else said. Just take deep breaths, look around at nature and remind yourself how great it is to be out playing, pretty much anything like that. And I'd say it's alright to cuss under your breath..I've done it plenty of times but there's no need to say it loud enough for others to hear...it just makes you look bad.

I finally realized this when I throw a club and broke it last year, it made me more mad once I broke it because I knew I broke it and hadn't controlled my anger.
    Posted:
  • mannionmannion Jr. Boomers  13WRX Points: 0Posts: 13
    ckay wrote on Mar 13 2007, 05&#58;33 AM:

It's tough to overcome...I just look around and let "nature" calm me down and to clear my thoughts. Back when I played competitively in high school and, regional MGA, and AJGA...early on I'd slam clubs and let out profanity. I was then matched with a kid that was worse than I...and realized how stupid he looked, which in turn made me realize how stupid I looked.

I completely agree. I used to be a complete hot head untill i played in a round with a lad in a regional event. I used to swear and throw clubs and got into a right stroppy modd if i made a made score on a hole or had a bad stretch. But when i played with this lad, he went bonkers if he missed a 6 footer throwing his putter off the green, screaming and nearly started crying. Then on the 18th hole he had a 220 carry over water to the green it was a par 5 and he hit his 3 wood. The ball very nearly got over but pitched in the last yard of water. He snapped his club over his knee stormed up to the pond and threw the club which was in 2 pieces straight into the water. I was gob smaked as he had just flug away an immaculate Nike SQ 3 wood with a brand new factory fitted aldila NV shaft. He then took a drop knocked his ball on to the green putted out and stormed off the course.

After this i realised what a complete D**k he looked like, and made a promise with my self to never get that bad. Now when i hit a bad shot, i wipe the club on my towel and put it into my bag, from then on the shot is over and i try to forget about it completely, however hard it is. I have also worked really hard with my coach to change me temperment, and its finally paying off as im starting to shoot some good scores.

That was a pretty long post, hope it helps lol !
    Posted:
  • scs1070scs1070 Members  1461WRX Points: 62Posts: 1,461 Platinum Tees
    When I was a teen I would beat my bag up and throw clubs. My Ping bag had bent legs on it, along with every other person I knew.

Now I just talk to myself....outlou, in my head. Then make sure you try and kill your next tee shot.
    Posted:
  • statechamps08statechamps08 Members  345WRX Points: 0Posts: 345
    I know i look like a dick and like i do everything u all are saying ( i bite my towel and talk to myself haha) but only when there is someone watching like my coach or something. Idk a lot of parents have called me a "lil-a** hole" to my face because i didnt help their kid who was shootin 95 look for his tee shots or say good shot when he hit it to 10 feet................i dont see the pros saying nice shot to each other and i know im not a pro but if i want to play like one then i need to try and act like one dont I? Wondering what u all think about my "no good shoot unless its really good" policy haha
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golfer GavinGolfer Gavin Jr. Boomers  729WRX Points: 0Posts: 729
    I chew gum but I let the odd F bomb out. I talk to myself. Think abuot other stuff. Just kind of try and drop it.
    Posted:
  • PdoughertyPdougherty Jr. Boomers  432WRX Points: 0Posts: 432
    statechamps08 wrote on Mar 13 2007, 11&#58;40 PM:

I know i look like a dick and like i do everything u all are saying ( i bite my towel and talk to myself haha) but only when there is someone watching like my coach or something. Idk a lot of parents have called me a "lil-a** hole" to my face because i didnt help their kid who was shootin 95 look for his tee shots or say good shot when he hit it to 10 feet................i dont see the pros saying nice shot to each other and i know im not a pro but if i want to play like one then i need to try and act like one dont I? Wondering what u all think about my "no good shoot unless its really good" policy haha

Whoa. Those parents are pretty intense. I don't think you have to say "good shot" all the time or spend 10 minutes looking for their ball.However I don't think you should just stand there and be like oh well I'm better than you if you don't say anything.
    Posted:
  • ccpgolfccpgolf Members  526WRX Points: 0Posts: 526
    statechamps08 wrote on Mar 13 2007, 09&#58;40 PM:

Haha that is pretty funny I have had a couple parents in tournaments call me an a**hole because I didnt do the same thing you or saying. I think it is stupid how these kids go out and shoot 100 but think they are amazing and are expecting a good shot comment from me. I think it is ridiculous to call me that over something as trivial as that but some people are crazy. I hear u. I hear u.

But back on topic I dont really get what some poeple are saying when they say just cool down by looking at nature or something. I am kind of a hot head and an absolute perfectionist in everything I do so when I mess up I get mad. I usually cuss or something which I dont think is bad but after I make a bad shot I focus soo much more on the next shot. I have never broke a club or anything so I am starting to get it under control.
    Posted:
  • Golfer GavinGolfer Gavin Jr. Boomers  729WRX Points: 0Posts: 729
    Everyone gets mad and everyone is going to show it. Lets be serious here
    Posted:
  • LesLes Members  223WRX Points: 0Posts: 223
    Just remember this one thing and you will realize what most people realize after playing this game for a while...

No one else in the world gives a sh*t if you are a bad golfer or hit a bad shot.

Even though golf is almost always an individual sport, you usually play it with lot of other people... people who probably don't enjoy being around someone who swears and throws clubs.
    Posted:
    Ping i25 PWR 65 10.5° or RBZ RIP70 10.5°
    Ping Anser 4metal
    TM R11 4hybrid
    Ping g20 5-6, i15 7-gw, Tour S 56, 60
    TM Spider Ghost
    TW13's, Pentas, Clicgear 1, Frogger

Advertisement
  • greenmachine0227greenmachine0227 Members  303WRX Points: 0Posts: 303
    Les wrote on Mar 13 2007, 11&#58;05 PM:

Just remember this one thing and you will realize what most people realize after playing this game for a while...

No one else in the world gives a sh*t if you are a bad golfer or hit a bad shot.

Even though golf is almost always an individual sport, you usually play it with lot of other people... people who probably don't enjoy being around someone who swears and throws clubs.

Ahmen
    Posted:
  • wholeinwon wholeinwon CanadaMembers  2260WRX Points: 129Posts: 2,260 Platinum Tees
    I don't get mad??

Read a Rotella book fellow juniors...read a Rotella book.
    Posted:
  • TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned  2894WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,894
    statechamps08 wrote on Mar 13 2007, 09&#58;40 PM:

FYI most pros do say nice shot you just don't hear it because they have no mics on thier shirts. Pros are very cool and support each other. As far as you not looking for someones ball, karma is a b**** and when you knock your ball into the woods or desert and nobody is helpng you look for your ball think about all the times you never helped someone look for their ball. Golf is a game of sportsmanship and helping your playing partners out.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mizunodudemizunodude Members  115WRX Points: 0Posts: 115
    If i must, i let out " I LOVE THIS GAME!!!" which usually gets a response of "lier!!!" makes me laugh like **** and makes me snap out of it.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.