What is the best "Ping Zing" type putter?

daddydave

E.g. Ping Zing, SC laguna, Odyssey white hot etc.
I yet again find my putting is not as good as i'd like. Upon reflection i decided it couldn't possibly be due to my poor technique or lack of ability, but instead i needed a new putter. I remember once putting quite well with a ping zing and have decided that a putter of this shape is what i need. Anyway what i'd like to know is which Zing shaped putters you've been using and what's your favourite, i await your response. Cheers gezza's!!! (cool)

IMO, the Cameron Inspired by Brad Faxon is a tremendous Zing styled putter (actually a My Day). It is the only OTR that comes in a 3X Oil Can finish as this is a tour finish. (cool)

Driver:ย  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5ยฐ (10.2ยฐ), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:ย ย TaylorMade M4 15ยฐ,ย Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:ย  TaylorMade Sim2ย 2 Iron Hybrid 17ยฐ, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:ย  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52ยฐ (bent to 50ยฐ)/ย 56ยฐ (bent to 54ยฐ), True Temper S400

LW:ย ย Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58ยฐ DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:ย  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:ย  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

ย 

IMO, the Cameron Inspired by Brad Faxon is a tremendous Zing styled putter (actually a My Day). It is the only OTR that comes in a 3X Oil Can finish as this is a tour finish. (cool)

ย 

Do you know what the head weight or swing weight is on the Faxday?

ย 

ย 

Here is what is on the Scotty Cameron Website about Brad Faxon's Putter:

ย 

Inspiration

ย 

Racecar designers see it when a driver pushes a chassis to the limits of its performance on the high banks of Daytona. Surfboard shapers experience it watching a rider carve a perfect turn on a huge Hawaiian wave. And Scotty sees it when a touring professional drains a slippery left-to-right 15-foot putt at the Masters. Itโ€™s called design satisfaction, and it is what drives Scotty to craft the finest putters in the world for the best players in the world.

ย 

ย 

ย 

So, when one of the best putters in the business sends in his tools of the trade, they get extra special attention. The man weโ€™re talking about is none other than Titleist ambassador Brad Faxon. Bradโ€™s arguably the best man on the planet with a flat stick, and there are more than a few reasons why he trusts Scotty.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Scotty and Bradโ€™s friendship dates back to 1992 when they met on the practice green at a Tour event. After Brad saw a friendโ€™s putter, he sought out Scotty to make one for him, as well. That began a working relationship and unique bond between the duo, as each is considered an artist within his discipline. Scotty, the craftsman putter maker who designs works of art to be used for putting. Brad, the professional golfer who is viewed by many as an artist when it comes to putting.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Dedication

ย 

Throughout the years, Scotty has made Brad dozens of putters. But, he is a creature of habit and relies most heavily on his Laguna 2.5 models. Recently, Brad sent in three putters to the Custom Shopโ€”each identified with a piece of packing tape wrapped around each shaft as โ€œBackup #1โ€, โ€œBackup #2โ€, and โ€œGamerโ€โ€”with a request for Scotty to give them a tune-up.

ย 

ย 

ย 

When Scotty opened the box, he found Bradโ€™s gamer of nearly ten years along with the two backups. To say that Brad uses his putters is the understatement of the year. Nicks, dings, a little rust, each in need of loft and lie adjustment. Wow, did the โ€œexperienceโ€ show. These were not putters that sat around. And there was absolutely nothing wrong with them either. They were in perfect โ€œplayedโ€ shape and just needed a little overhaul to get back to mint condition. Thatโ€™s the great thing about the Custom Shop; itโ€™s set up to give everyoneโ€™s putter the Tour treatment.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Included in the box was a hand-written note penned on Bradโ€™s personal stationery. The letter reads: โ€œHi Scotty! Thanks for checking on my putters! I would love to have you lie/loft and compare. My gamer needs to be cleaned up a bit as well. Something also looks/feels funny in the neck. It also feels flat. I used Backup #1 and it seemed to not have enough loft, and then we (Mata) bent it in Canada. The 2nd backup looks great, but I havenโ€™t used that one in awhile. If you could call me before bending that would be great. I appreciate all your help. Margaret is so nice! Talk to you soon, BF.โ€

ย 

ย 

ย 

Perspiration

ย 

Working from a thick manila folder filled with the last ten years of Bradโ€™s notes and order forms, Scotty caught up with Brad as he was getting in some practice for the Southern Farm Bureau Classic in Mississippi. He wanted Scotty to square up the neck to the topline and confirm that the loft and lie were set to the specifications determined during his last visit to the Putter Studio (see spec. notes below). He also wanted the triple oil can finishes restored. Scotty assured Brad that it would all be taken care of. But, there was one catch: Brad needed a gamer for the tournament, which started in two days.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Not a problem for Scotty. He bent Backup #1โ€™s neck into its proper shape, dialing in the specific loft and lie specs. He then re-shafted it with a new shaft with the same cycles (i.e., flex), gave it new paintfill, re-gripped it with a black Studio Design grip and two wraps of tape, boxed it up, and sent it overnight to Brad at the tournament (Brad would lead the field and eventually finish T16). The plan was to get Brad dialed in with this putter for the event, and then have him send it back to the Custom Shop for a full restoration. In the meantime, Scotty got down to business on the other putters (Gamer, Backup #2), giving them a full tune-up and prepping them to be refinished.

ย 

ย 

ย 

In the slideshow pictures, youโ€™ll notice beads of weld on the soles of each putter. Scotty adds this bead for weight and to help the putter set up perfectly with Bradโ€™s forward press at address. These pictures show the beads before Scotty grinds the weld using various shaping wheels. When he gets them just right, heโ€™ll give the putter heads a triple oil finish and get them back to Brad as quickly as he can.

ย 

ย 

ย 

As the PGA TOUR winds down for 2006, many professionals and amateurs alike take advantage of the brief off-season to send putters back to the Custom Shop for a tune-up. And, no matter the time of year, Scotty and his highly-skilled Custom Shop crew are ready to give putters the attention they need, be it new paintfill and a grip change, or a complete overhaulโ€”whether youโ€™re Joe Golfer or Brad Faxon.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Specs for Brad Faxonโ€™s Laguna 2.5 putters:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Gamer: Laguna 2.5 โ€œFax Dayโ€

ย 

Length: Cut at 35 ยพโ€ and gripped to 36โ€ finished

ย 

Lie/Loft: 71 ยพ - 4.2 degrees

ย 

Shaft: Standard

ย 

Shaft Frequency: 310

ย 

Swing weight: D3 ยฝ

ย 

Overall weight: 479

ย 

Grip: Blk Studio Design

ย 

Sight line: Thick line on top

ย 

Finish: 3X Oil Can

ย 

Engraving details: B.F. Tour

ย 

Paintfill: Dirty white

ย 

ย 

ย 

Backup #1: Laguna 2.5 โ€œFax Dayโ€

ย 

ย 

Lie/Loft: 711/2 - 3.9 degrees

ย 

ย 

Shaft Frequency: 308

ย 

Swing weight: D4 ยฝ

ย 

Overall weight: 479

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Backup #2: Laguna 2.5 โ€œFax Dayโ€

ย 

ย 

Lie/Loft: 72 โ€“ 4.2 degrees

ย 

ย 

Shaft Frequency: 320

ย 

Swing weight: D7

ย 

Overall weight: 481

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

The Bettinardi BBX81 looks the best to me...

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I think that Curtis Strange Faxday is tremendous!!!

Hybrid:ย  TaylorMade Sim2ย 2 Iron Hybrid 17ยฐ, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52ยฐ (bent to 50ยฐ)/ย 56ยฐ (bent to 54ยฐ), True Temper S400

ย 

ย 

Do you know what the head weight or swing weight is on the Faxday?

ย 

The IBBF is 330g. As far as Faxon's gamer, ???. At 36", it swing weight is D3 1/2 so I suspect that Faxon's putter is 320g or so. Backup 1 is probably 330g and Backup 2 is probably 340g. Just a guess.

ย 

Here is what is on the Scotty Cameron Website about Brad Faxon's Putter:

ย 

Inspiration

ย 

Racecar designers see it when a driver pushes a chassis to the limits of its performance on the high banks of Daytona. Surfboard shapers experience it watching a rider carve a perfect turn on a huge Hawaiian wave. And Scotty sees it when a touring professional drains a slippery left-to-right 15-foot putt at the Masters. Itโ€™s called design satisfaction, and it is what drives Scotty to craft the finest putters in the world for the best players in the world.

ย 

ย 

Ha ha

After reading that I'd buy a ping Zing and get on with life.

• Thanks 1

I just bought the new Ping Zing Redwood..it is really sweet looking.

It did feel great in the Pro Shop and on the range.

I had a plug extender put in to make it an overall lenght of 37" instead of the 35" standard. (I'm 6'4").

It doesn't feel exactly the same anymore....should I re-examine the loft and lie?

ย 

Stan Utley suggests that most people should have their putters bent to 69 degrees with 5 degrees of loft, to feel more comfortable and natural...but that is different from all the standard lofts and lies as they come from the factory...

ย 

Any thoughts???

I like the old Odyssey DF550. I guess the equivalent now would be the DF2 #2. It's a lot like the Zing with the short neck. The Redwood Zing looks sweet too.

WITB...
Callaway Optiforce 440, Diamana Ahina 70 S
Adams Speedline Fast 12 3W, Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 65 S
Taylor Made UDI 3, KBS C-Taper S
MacGregor MT Pro CM 4-PW, Rifle 6.5 Flighted
Callaway 2012 Forged 50/54/58, Apollo Matchflex S
TM Ghost Spider S slant
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

I had a plug extender put in to make it an overall lenght of 37" instead of the 35" standard. (I'm 6'4").

It doesn't feel exactly the same anymore....should I re-examine the loft and lie?

ย 

ย 

Any thoughts???

ย 

Extending it two inches will change the lie.

ย 

Buit are you sure you need it extended? I'm the same height and I use either a 34 or a 35.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OGย 

• 2 weeks later...

ย 

ย 

Any thoughts???

ย 

Extending it two inches will change the lie.

ย 

Buit are you sure you need it extended? I'm the same height and I use either a 34 or a 35.

It will also change the swing weight and feel of the putter. You also may find your accuracy and stroke to change as well. I'm just a smidge under six foot five, and used to use a 36" putter. One day while fooling around in a shop, I tried my putter in a 35. It felt much better .... much easier to control my tempo, and stroke especially. Now I have it at 35, and I even choke up a little .... I'm averaging 28 putts a round now.

ย 

BTW, I use an anser style Callaway Tour Blue TT1 putter, but in the redwood series, I absolutley LOVE the zing feel .... surprisingly much prefer it over the anser. OhIamthisclose to buying one .... must resist GAS .... must resist

I love my sc laguna from the mid 1990's. Does anybody think that the value of the laguna will rise because scotty hasn't come out with one since the studio stainless series. Are they less desirable or is he trying to make them something rare. JAT.

Martin

that is possible.

ย 

it's also possible that scotty stopped producing the laguna because it didn't sell as much as the others

ย 

FYI: They stopped making the napa because it didn't sell, and look at their value now

I like the old Odyssey DF550. I guess the equivalent now would be the DF2 #2. It's a lot like the Zing with the short neck. The Redwood Zing looks sweet too.

Exactly my thoughts as I read through this. The DF550 was one sweet putter. Steve Stricker and Lee Jansen used them for years. The Redwoods are also beautiful, soft feeling putters. I'd also look for a BeCu Zing or a TriHot 2.

ย 

I don't really see the FaxDay/MyDay being a Zing replacement. (Nice pictures though)

ย 

Cheers.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5ยบ (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17ยบ (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21ยบ and 24ยบ (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I love the Redwood zing. Sorry if this is off topic... but besides basic asthetic design, what makes zing's special? do they have different weighting? toe flow? is the toe wider than the tail for swing purposes or just to suit people's eyes?

Ping says there is more weight in the toe. The odd hosel design coupled with the toe weighting make it a toe-flow machine. :D

It's almost like putting with a 8802-style blade with an anser-ish head.

I love the Redwood zing. Sorry if this is off topic... but besides basic asthetic design, what makes zing's special? do they have different weighting? toe flow? is the toe wider than the tail for swing purposes or just to suit people's eyes?

Ping says there is more weight in the toe. The odd hosel design coupled with the toe weighting make it a toe-flow machine. :D

It's almost like putting with a 8802-style blade with an anser-ish head.

ย 

The 8802 has all the weight "north" of the hosel, with most of the mass within 2.5" of it. This style can be a hook machine in the wrong hands. The Zing style has weight below the hosel to counterbalance the weight at the toe end. More weight at the toe will hold the face open longer.

ย 

IMO the Zing head design with a short hosel is one of the most simple and beautiful modern head designs ever.

WITB...
Callaway Optiforce 440, Diamana Ahina 70 S
Adams Speedline Fast 12 3W, Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 65 S
Taylor Made UDI 3, KBS C-Taper S
MacGregor MT Pro CM 4-PW, Rifle 6.5 Flighted
Callaway 2012 Forged 50/54/58, Apollo Matchflex S
TM Ghost Spider S slant
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis