Get your arm swing and pivot in sync

zakkozuchowskizakkozuchowski GolfWRX EditorMembers Posts: 1,162 ✭✭
edited Feb 12, 2013 in Instruction & Academy #1
By Dan Carraher (iteachgolf), GolfWRX Featured Writer

One of the largest problems most golfers face is the hands and arms not moving in sync with their pivots. This causes all kinds of issues with both how they will pivot and the ball flight that will result.

I see far more golfers whose arms move too slow than too fast. When this happens, multiple issues arise. I will discuss these first, and then will discuss a drill and some ideas designed to address these issues.

When the arms swing too slowly, two general things will happen: The arms will end up too far behind the pivot (common with better players) or the arms won't work down or forward fast enough and will be carried too far out by the pivot. These moves create two different results, but the root cause is the same. As a compensation, many golfers will either pull their arms across their bodies in an effort to get their arms back in front (the case of arms being too far behind the pivot), wiping across the ball and steepening the angle of attack. The other common compensation when the arms don't work down and forward soon enough is to dump all their leverage in an attempt to reach the ball and get their path more in-to-out. If this sounds like you, I have something I want you to try.

This is a drill to train you to keep your arms more in sync with your pivot and working faster, which has the other benefit of helping you hit the ball farther. I want you to make some swings with both arms straight from side-to-side about hip-high to hip-high. The key part of this is I want you to set/**** the club fully, but do it without bending your arms. The majority of golfers over-bend their trailing arm in the backswing and the leading arm in the follow-through. This drill will force the club to stay in front of you and teach you to separate cocking the lead wrist and folding the arms. The sensation while doing the drill will be that it is very army, but if both arms stay straight while doing it, the club will stay in front of you and you will pivot back and through.

You can't swing the club with your arms straight without turning -- it's not possible. The turn will happen subconsciously. The goal here is to swing the arms while keeping them straight and set the club from hip-high to hip-high as fast as possible. This drill is done without a ball, and meant to be done with speed once you feel comfortable with the motion.

Once you feel comfortable doing it without a ball, I want you to go hit balls while maintaining the same feel while keeping your arms below chest-high. If you were to film these swings, I expect the trailing arm to fold slightly in the backswing and the lead arm to fold slightly on the through swing.

The wrists will **** the club slower and later than it feels (it will be very gradual). I also expect the swing to be longer than you feel like it is and the ball will go farther than you expect it. The body will pivot back and through, but it will be doing so as a reaction to the arms swinging while extended. The faster the arms swing, the faster you will/can pivot and the farther the ball will go. This will create a shorter, more efficient and more in-sync swing allowing for consistency and hopefully lower scores.

Golf-Sync-2.jpg

Golf-Sync-1.jpg

Above are examples of a golf swing that has both arms are extended with the club setting in backswing and through the ball. The arm swing is in-sync with the pivoting of the body.

Comments

• GatorPaulGatorPaul Members Posts: 107
    Nice Article. Great refresher from my time with DC in December.
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned Posts: 20,715
    Great stuff Dan.
    Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
    Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
    Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
    All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,471 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2013 #4
    Nice article Dan. I've been thinking a lot about this issue of keeping the arms in front and in sync recently. In fact it's really all I've been thinking about in regards to my own swing over the last month or so. I'll be giving this drill a try.
  • JSouthJSouth Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
  • Dixie FlatlineDixie Flatline Members Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Dan got me on this drill about 3 weeks ago got me back on track in about 2 hours. I've been hitting the ball extremely well for me since then. In my last 6 rounds, I've been hitting more than half my fairways and averaging 11-12 GIR. It's been fun again.
  • firstbatchfirstbatch Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Good stuff Dan...this sounds like a drill/feel that would would support the concept behind the Swing Shirt. Dan, do you consider this to be a viable/good training aid to assist in gaining the feel you describe of snyc the arms and body? http://www.golfswingshirt.com/
    King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
    Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
    Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
    Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
    Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
    Kenny Giannini G6
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭
    I would suggest that there are two relatively easy ways to keep the arms in synch with the pivot. One is to allow the pivot to be a response to the swinging of the arms. So long as it is a response it will be in synch. The second is to relax the arms and allow them to be moved by the pivot. Either works.

Difficulties arise when the golfer tries to consciously pivot and consciously swing their arms at the same time. Then the golfer has to also figure out how to make them move together.

Steve
  • TheBoomer TheBoomer Members Posts: 3,384 ✭✭
    image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' /> Great thread.

MB
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
  • cac022cac022 Members Posts: 49
    Great articie Dan. I know I come from the inside too much on the downswing so I'm going to give this a shot.

Would the feeling of releasing early on the downswing also help with getting the club in front of you/less stuck?

Thanks.
  • FairwayGolfUSA.comFairwayGolfUSA.com Sponsors Posts: 1,610 ✭✭
    great tip. that looks like James Hahn in the pictures btw.

RYAN
    Fairway Golf Online Store :golfer:
    Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
    Instagram:https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/
    Phone: 1-619-702-1702
  • CTEagleCTEagle Members Posts: 275
    This is something I struggle with so thank you for the article. Is there a link to a video where I can watch the whole sequence? Thanks.
  • MizunoJunkyMizunoJunky Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    great article, thank you.
  • PingEye2PingEye2 Members Posts: 828 ✭✭
    Good stuff, Dan. Ryan's swing is getting so much better, btw!
  • naj959naj959 Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    Look forward to more articles.
  • WT DoorWT Door Unregistered Posts: 483
    Very nice piece Dan. Thank you.

I suspect I am subject to both faults you describe in para 3 at times so I look forward to giving this a try.

During a real quick 'test/demo' indoors, it felt as if I had to excessively extend my left shoulder/upper arm to allow room for my right arm to remain straight in the backswing. I do not feel the opposing sensation on the follow through. Is this a normal comment you hear from folks you introduce to this drill or am I likely performing the drill incorrectly?

WITB Link

• russcrussc Members Posts: 6,050
    How is this as another example

• swanry30swanry30 Lights Out ClubWRX Posts: 4,532 ✭✭

great tip. that looks like James Hahn in the pictures btw.

RYAN

It is image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

And to DAN's article - guilty as charged. Dominate arms in backswing that traveled too far and broke down - then because they were too far behind traveled or were flung from the top outward loosing the angle... I've been working on the same thing as prescribed - and for me had to "deaden" the arms on the takeaway as they were overly active.

Great info!
    TaylorMade | M5 Tour 9*  | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    TaylorMade | M5 14* | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
    TaylorMade | P790 UDI 17* | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100TX
    Miura | MC 501 Raw 3-PW | PX 6.5
    Callaway | "Customs" Mack Daddy Forged Slate 54 R grind - 58 R grind | PX 6.5
    Scotty Cameron - MOTO "Encinitas Gallery" Newport 34" 350g
    Bridgestone | Tour B XS

WITB Link

instagram | https://www.instagram.com/ryan.swanberg/
  • rok78rok78 Members Posts: 1,680
    russc wrote:

[media=]

I would venture not a good example because the club is not setting fast enough. From my understanding the wrists should be fully set with both arms straight (as can be) by the time left arm is parallel to the ground. Rickie has a much later set than prescribed for the drill.
    8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
    15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
    18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
    20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
    54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
    5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,803 ✭✭
    WT Door wrote:

Very nice piece Dan. Thank you.

I suspect I am subject to both faults you describe in para 3 at times so I look forward to giving this a try.

During a real quick 'test/demo' indoors, it felt as if I had to excessively extend my left shoulder/upper arm to allow room for my right arm to remain straight in the backswing. I do not feel the opposing sensation on the follow through. Is this a normal comment you hear from folks you introduce to this drill or am I likely performing the drill incorrectly?

How long of a swing are you trying to make? Should be able to get to hip high and keep arms straight. Once you get to chest high the right arm will bend. But the drill is to make short swing.
    russc wrote:

Club is too steep going back for the length of swing described. There isn't time to shallow the club that much. He is an example of width and someone who's right arm never gets behind him.

If you're doing this right, even though the pivot is responding to the straight arms and not consciously doing anything, due to there being a tiny armswing the pivot will kick in hard. Faster you swing the arms the harder you'll pivot. You can't keep your arms straight and move the club any length without turning.
    PingEye2 wrote:

Good stuff, Dan. Ryan's swing is getting so much better, btw!

Glad to hear. Great kid!
  • WedgefromhereWedgefromhere Members Posts: 379 ✭✭
    Nice explanation, Dan.
  • SinclairSinclair Members Posts: 288
    This is definitely the most helpful swing article I've read here - mostly because it is most relevant to me. Historically my arms have lead the pivot and go well past parallel and end up getting stuck on the way down or flipping. This is a great drill to help me feel like I'm using the big muscles in the swing. I also try to feel the my hands are always in front of my sternum back and through the swing to keep them in sync. Thanks Dan.
  • WT DoorWT Door Unregistered Posts: 483
    iteachgolf wrote:
    WT Door wrote:
    Very nice piece Dan. Thank you. I suspect I am subject to both faults you describe in para 3 at times so I look forward to giving this a try. During a real quick 'test/demo' indoors, it felt as if I had to excessively extend my left shoulder/upper arm to allow room for my right arm to remain straight in the backswing. I do not feel the opposing sensation on the follow through. Is this a normal comment you hear from folks you introduce to this drill or am I likely performing the drill incorrectly?
    How long of a swing are you trying to make? Should be able to get to hip high and keep arms straight. Once you get to chest high the right arm will bend. But the drill is to make short swing.

That was exactly it - thank you again.

WITB Link

• SattPSattP Members Posts: 109
    Great information. A video example of working your way from hip high to chest high to full swing with that drill would be great but might be asking a bit too much. Thanks for the free info, Dan.
  • chivachiva Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭
    Great article Dan. Thank you!
    OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • JPGolf FLJPGolf FL Once won a charity scramble..... Members Posts: 2,720
    edited May 19, 2013 #28
    Used this in my preshot routine yesterday. Wow, great drill. Thanks Dan.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • InaSilentWayInaSilentWay Members Posts: 260
    Interesting article. Am I to assume that the upper arms aren't tightly packed into the body while doing this drill to allow the arms to move faster in front of the body?
  • Kadin 25Kadin 25 BIG K Members, Featured Writer Posts: 6,652
    Good read Dan.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                    Editor Product Reviews
                    Product Tester/Review Panel
                    Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                    See ya on the green...Kadin

• fearlessgolfer1fearlessgolfer1 Members Posts: 1
    Great article, DC!

Those who know you personally and many of your students already know that you have a knack on hitting that sweet spot to fix flaws easily, and this is no exception. Great insight and much thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file