2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Moving to Nashville area...looking for a private club

sportspup

In the next couple of months, I am moving to the Nashville area. I am currently a member at Colonial Country Club in Memphis. I am looking for some suggestions as to Nashville area private clubs. Obviously the Belle Meade's and the Golf Club of Tennessee's of the world are great, but I don't want to plop 25k-50k down right now.

I have looked at Nashville Golf and Athletic Club and The Vanderbilt Legends Club so far. I'm a scratch player and the most important thing to me, next to a great course and practice facility, is a quality game. I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on which clubs have good players and good games. I'm not looking to play for hundreds or thousands of bucks, bucks winning or losing a hundo is just fine by me.

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to be living in the Brentwood/Franklin area? If not what area of Nashville as there may be other courses/clubs to consider? Between those two courses The Vanderbilt Legends Club is far more superior IMO. NG&AC is "ok" but not kept in as nice of condition and their practice area is nowhere near what Legends has to offer. Legends has two very nice courses (36) and two driving ranges with lots of other practice facilities. I’d guess that a good game could easily be found at Legends…. I know a couple of their members. Have you looked into Westhaven? http://www.golfwesthaven.com/ I’d still go Legends….. if I lived on that side of town I would join.

[quote name='Pinmaster' timestamp='1362090077' post='6522537']
Are you going to be living in the Brentwood/Franklin area? If not what area of Nashville as there may be other courses/clubs to consider?Between those two courses The Vanderbilt Legends Club is far more superior IMO. NG&AC is "ok" but not kept in as nice of condition and their practice area is nowhere near what Legends has to offer. Legends has two very nice courses (36) and two driving ranges with lots of other practice facilities. I’d guess that a good game could easily be found at Legends…. I know a couple of their members.Have you looked into Westhaven? http://www.golfwesthaven.com/I’d still go Legends….. if I lived on that side of town I would join.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to be living in the Franklin/Brentwood area. I will check out Westhaven as well.

You may want to look at The Governer's Club. That is a very quality track. Its in the east side of Brentwood. You may want to look at some homes there as well. Very nice course(Arnold Palmer) although I here that they will close it down soon to renovate the greens. Another upstart would be The Grove(a Greg Norman design). It is a little futher out on 840 just south and east of Franklin. If you ever want to play on a great public course, come down to Old Fort in Murfreesboro,TN. From the tips, you will be challenged and the greens are very nice year round. Its about 7000 yds from the blacks.

If you're going to live in Brentwood/Franklin then this is what you'll figure out.

Here's the lowdown:

Belle Meade - Expensive and you probably aren't getting in unless you're connected and know someone (no offense) - being a member at Colonial will help. Playing to scratch? then you won't find many great games although there are some good players. Aging membership.

Golf Club of Tennessee: Nice. A lot of member turnover over the past few years. The only complaint I would have is that it's almost a destination golf event. You aren't running all the way out to Kingston Springs to hit a bucket of balls or play a quick 9. It's an all day event. However, it's a class establishment. Good caddies too.

Richland: Nice. Built on the side of a hill. Nicklaus design. But a Country Club not just a golf club - not sure if this matters to you. Wife and kids will have things to do. Ok games...occasionally. Depends on the crowd you get into out there.

Brentwood CC: Non-starter. Unless you buy a house on the course. A few decent games can be had but you may have some trouble breaking into them. Again, a country club. The course doesn't have much character.

Governors Club: Ok if you live on the course and don't mind playing 16 or 17 holes. Something crazy happened out there and either one or two holes disappeared to become home lots. Cannot recommend.

Nashville Golf & Atheltic: Conditioning has been spotty but alleged to have improved. Lipscomb University calls that place home and are planning to put some money into practice facilities - rumor is they will be closed to everyone but the golf team. The older (and some removed) tees from the tips played over 7500 yds. It was a beast back in the days of balata. They used to have some really good players and 10-12 over would win the Club Championship.

The Grove: Nice. Expensive. New. Out of the way. Kind of an unknown because it's so new but since Greg Norman designed it - gets some press. Be a nice place to live and play if you don't mind 15 minutes south of Franklin - guess it depends on where you work.

Legends: A lot of good players, easy to find a game, nice clubhouse restaraunt. We call it the FOG - Factory of Golf - A lot of rounds played out there. Good practice facilities. No pool, tennis courts or anything else - Little entertainment for a family. Good place though. A swimming pool sure wouldn't hurt that place - but Vanderbilt won't spring for it.

If you're scratch at Colonial and your game travels - you aren't going to have any trouble anywhere....with the exception of whenever there is a USGA qualifier coming up at Legends or the guys at The Golf Club of Tennessee get a little frisky with the set up.

Almost forgot Olde Stone: There's really not anything in Nashville to compare to Olde Stone. It's really, really, nice. It has the potential to play more difficult than any course within 3-4 hours away. Fortunately, the membership complained a little bit about the rough & green speed and things have been toned down considerably in the past few years. The only problem is that it's in Bowling Green, KY and nobody really wants to drive 70 miles to play golf. Class place though. Cool little golf cottages and townhouses sprinkled around the course. Great money games out there - almost everyday of the week. Full Club and amenities.

Those are your options - feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1362777410' post='6573177']
If you're going to live in Brentwood/Franklin then this is what you'll figure out.

Here's the lowdown:

Belle Meade - Expensive and you probably aren't getting in unless you're connected and know someone (no offense) - being a member at Colonial will help. Playing to scratch? then you won't find many great games although there are some good players. Aging membership.

Golf Club of Tennessee: Nice. A lot of member turnover over the past few years. The only complaint I would have is that it's almost a destination golf event. You aren't running all the way out to Kingston Springs to hit a bucket of balls or play a quick 9. It's an all day event. However, it's a class establishment. Good caddies too.

Richland: Nice. Built on the side of a hill. Nicklaus design. But a Country Club not just a golf club - not sure if this matters to you. Wife and kids will have things to do. Ok games...occasionally. Depends on the crowd you get into out there.

Brentwood CC: Non-starter. Unless you buy a house on the course. A few decent games can be had but you may have some trouble breaking into them. Again, a country club. The course doesn't have much character.

Governors Club: Ok if you live on the course and don't mind playing 16 or 17 holes. Something crazy happened out there and either one or two holes disappeared to become home lots. Cannot recommend.

Nashville Golf & Atheltic: Conditioning has been spotty but alleged to have improved. Lipscomb University calls that place home and are planning to put some money into practice facilities - rumor is they will be closed to everyone but the golf team. The older (and some removed) tees from the tips played over 7500 yds. It was a beast back in the days of balata. They used to have some really good players and 10-12 over would win the Club Championship.

The Grove: Nice. Expensive. New. Out of the way. Kind of an unknown because it's so new but since Greg Norman designed it - gets some press. Be a nice place to live and play if you don't mind 15 minutes south of Franklin - guess it depends on where you work.

Legends: A lot of good players, easy to find a game, nice clubhouse restaraunt. We call it the FOG - Factory of Golf - A lot of rounds played out there. Good practice facilities. No pool, tennis courts or anything else - Little entertainment for a family. Good place though. A swimming pool sure wouldn't hurt that place - but Vanderbilt won't spring for it.

If you're scratch at Colonial and your game travels - you aren't going to have any trouble anywhere....with the exception of whenever there is a USGA qualifier coming up at Legends or the guys at The Golf Club of Tennessee get a little frisky with the set up.

Almost forgot Olde Stone: There's really not anything in Nashville to compare to Olde Stone. It's really, really, nice. It has the potential to play more difficult than any course within 3-4 hours away. Fortunately, the membership complained a little bit about the rough & green speed and things have been toned down considerably in the past few years. The only problem is that it's in Bowling Green, KY and nobody really wants to drive 70 miles to play golf. Class place though. Cool little golf cottages and townhouses sprinkled around the course. Great money games out there - almost everyday of the week. Full Club and amenities.

Those are your options - feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.
[/quote]Nice write up. I believe you forgot Westhaven located about 5 miles west of downtown Franklin,TN. This may be your best bet of any of the other courses mentioned above.

• 5 weeks later...

I would also add Hillwood Country Club to that list. I have played all courses listed above, and Hillwood is my 2nd favorite behind Bell Meade. If you are a walker, do not join Richland. It is the hardest walking golf course that I have ever played. I personally do not like Nashville Golf and Athletic Club. Just wasn't impressed with it at all, and yes, I know a US Open was held there a long time ago.

Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5*
Taylormade R9 15*
Titleist 712U 2 Iron
Titleist 714 MB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM4 52*, SM2 58*
Scotty Cameron Golo 34"

[quote name='M.C.H.' timestamp='1365649122' post='6807413']
I would also add Hillwood Country Club to that list. I have played all courses listed above, and Hillwood is my 2nd favorite behind Bell Meade. If you are a walker, do not join Richland. It is the hardest walking golf course that I have ever played. I personally do not like Nashville Golf and Athletic Club. Just wasn't impressed with it at all, and yes, I know a US Open was held there a long time ago.
[/quote]

Incorrect. There has never been a US Open held at Nashville Golf or anywhere in Nashville.

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1365692002' post='6809889']
[/quote]

Incorrect. There has never been a US Open held at Nashville Golf or anywhere in Nashville.
[/quote]

Didn't they have the US Women's Open at the old Richland? They had something big there one time.

The story was that the guy that built Nashville Golf and Athletic built the course because he wanted to host a US Open. I know this....from the old tips and before they took out all of those bunkers - NG&A was hard enough to host any tournament.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1365707928' post='6812391']
[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1365692002' post='6809889']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't they have the US Women's Open at the old Richland? They had something big there one time.

The story was that the guy that built Nashville Golf and Athletic built the course because he wanted to host a US Open. I know this....from the old tips and before they took out all of those bunkers - NG&A was hard enough to host any tournament.
[/quote]

Lots of courses WANT to host a US Open. Few actually do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old Natchez is pretty nice. My god father is a member there and it's always in good shape, has great food, nice pool and pretty homes on the course. I love playing there

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread. I'm considering a move to the area and currently live on a great course. I recently toured Governors Club and The Grove. From all I've read, these seem like the top two courses that also incorporate neighborhoods. From a quick tour, the Governors club didn't appear to be in the best conditions, and the Grove looked awesome but it pretty far from downtown where I'd be working. Are there any other must visit spots that have both homes and a great golf course with a reasonable commute to downtown?

Bumping this thread. I'm considering a move to the area and currently live on a great course. I recently toured Governors Club and The Grove. From all I've read, these seem like the top two courses that also incorporate neighborhoods. From a quick tour, the Governors club didn't appear to be in the best conditions, and the Grove looked awesome but it pretty far from downtown where I'd be working. Are there any other must visit spots that have both homes and a great golf course with a reasonable commute to downtown?

I live 5 min from the Grove and love that place when I’ve been able to get on. Fast a** greens and very wide open conditions but still a challenge to score.

• 1 month later...

I've been a member at The Grove for 5 years. Very challenging, even after playing it so many times. Many here make the commute to Nashville, and it takes about an hour both ways during rush hour.

I moved to the area 2 months ago from NY where I was a member at a club for a the past 5 years. I would like to find a new course here now that I have relocated my family. Looks like we may be settling in Nolensville very close to the Governers Club but as mentioned above the course does not appear to be in the best conditions.

Looking for some recommendations. It is not important to me that the course incorporates a housing community but also not a deterrent. Looking for a good course above all.

Thanks for your time!

I moved to the area 2 months ago from NY where I was a member at a club for a the past 5 years. I would like to find a new course here now that I have relocated my family. Looks like we may be settling in Nolensville very close to the Governers Club but as mentioned above the course does not appear to be in the best conditions.

Looking for some recommendations. It is not important to me that the course incorporates a housing community but also not a deterrent. Looking for a good course above all.

Thanks for your time!

I think you have to live in the grove to be a member. Richland or Brentwood CC may be an option if Govereners isn’t gonna work. Legends too.

I've been a member at The Grove for 5 years. Very challenging, even after playing it so many times. Many here make the commute to Nashville, and it takes about an hour both ways during rush hour.

Thanks! The Grove looks like it would definitely be challenging. Any idea what the word is on Troubadour - the Discovery Land Co project a mile away?

Great rundown above. I caddied and BMCC for 3 years and at Golf Club for 3 years, definitely the 2 best courses around. Also, Nashville Golf & Athletic has some of the best bent grass greens around. There’s a reason the Web.com tourney is played there. Olde Stone is soooo good and soooo will beat your Azz into the ground if you miss the fairway. The Grove is also as pure as it gets. Lots of options. Good luck. If you ever need a 4th :)

Thanks! The Grove looks like it would definitely be challenging. Any idea what the word is on Troubadour - the Discovery Land Co project a mile away?

In order to be a member at the Troubadour you have to own property.

I know that about a year ago you could join the Grove as a non-resident. Not sure whether that is still the case or not.

In order to be a member at the Troubadour you have to own property.

I know that about a year ago you could join the Grove as a non-resident. Not sure whether that is still the case or not.

The Grove does allow non-resident memberships at an increased initiation fee. We'd definitely be looking to live on the course. From our last drive through the area, Troubadour definitely had a lot left to finish -- course isn't open yet, clubhouse hasn't been started, fitness center hasn't broken ground, etc. But, I've been to Vacquero in Dallas (another Discovery Land Co project) and it was probably the most incredible club I've ever been at so deciding between those two is tough.

When did the Grove start taking out of the neighborhood members?