World record Hole in One!

AirTime23

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick Sick Sick

That's is truely amazing. I'm happy to reach a par 5 in 3.

Haha - I've played that course a few years ago and I'll let you in on the secret.

It's a dog leg left, and after about 285-200 yards it turns hard left and goes downhill. Apparently the guy didn't hit a great drive, but he cut the corner and took a massive bounce left and it ran all the way down the hill, onto the green and in the hole.

Summer obviously.

if you listened to the audio, she said they searched for "15" minutes and could not find it, then left the hole because of rain, then came back to check the hole and then the ball was there. but please forgive me if i'm wrong, isn't there a 5 or 10 minute rule to look for a ball, then if not found, must be deemed lost and the shot replayed? I am not taking anything away from this guy, but rules are rules, and it was played at an sdga school, so they should know the usga rules of golf, correct? Anyway what was the real distance of this shot, seeing the shortest distance between two points is a straight line right? maybe it should be measured before it is deemed a world record.

Great drive anyway you put it though ;)

if you listened to the audio, she said they searched for "15" minutes and could not find it, then left the hole because of rain, then came back to check the hole and then the ball was there. but please forgive me if i'm wrong, isn't there a 5 or 10 minute rule to look for a ball, then if not found, must be deemed lost and the shot replayed? I am not taking anything away from this guy, but rules are rules, and it was played at an sdga school, so they should know the usga rules of golf, correct? Anyway what was the real distance of this shot, seeing the shortest distance between two points is a straight line right? maybe it should be measured before it is deemed a world record.

Interesting point - but surely once the ball has been holed the ball is no longer in play and the whole is deemed to have been completed? So playing a 2nd ball would be irrelevant due to the first one not being in play any more?

i thought that too, but since it seemed to be a friendly match i would take it and obviously he did too :cheesy:

but seriously, he must be a little dumb if he said "its on the green" and he didnt bother to check the hole!?! it woulda been the first place i would look, or maybe right after i check the bunkers since thats where i usually find my ball. :blink:

i thought that too, but since it seemed to be a friendly match i would take it and obviously he did too :cheesy:

but seriously, he must be a little dumb if he said "its on the green" and he didnt bother to check the hole!?! it woulda been the first place i would look, or maybe right after i check the bunkers since thats where i usually find my ball. :blink:

I'm with you on that one. Check bunkers then hole.

Just checked Google Earth for the straight distance, and it gives me 371 yards to front of green from the back tees. Can't quite make out the next to back tees, but the distance difference is 28 yards by the scorecard. So a total of approx. 343 to the front of the green remains.

No proper images on Google Earth for that Teign Valley course. But just to take the face value length of the hole for the Guiness Record seems kinda silly. They should have measured the shot and taken that number.

Interesting point - but surely once the ball has been holed the ball is no longer in play and the whole is deemed to have been completed? So playing a 2nd ball would be irrelevant due to the first one not being in play any more?

Understand your point, but if they cant find it, even if it's in the hole, wouldn't it still be lost until found? Maybe we can get a rules expert on this one, and possibly call the course to discount it, and also have them measure for the "true distance" of the shot.

Understand your point, but if they cant find it, even if it's in the hole, wouldn't it still be lost until found? Maybe we can get a rules expert on this one, and possibly call the course to discount it, and also have them measure for the "true distance" of the shot.

No.

Decision 1 - 1/2 Covers it:

1-1/2 Player Unaware He Has Holed Out Puts Another Ball into Play

Q. A player, unable to find his ball, puts another ball into play. He then discovers that his original ball is in the hole. What is the ruling?

A. The score with the original ball counts. The play of the hole was completed when the player holed that ball.

No.

Decision 1 - 1/2 Covers it:

1-1/2 Player Unaware He Has Holed Out Puts Another Ball into Play

Q. A player, unable to find his ball, puts another ball into play. He then discovers that his original ball is in the hole. What is the ruling?

A. The score with the original ball counts. The play of the hole was completed when the player holed that ball.

OK I see that ruling, but what about the other one, with the distance of the hole? any thoughts on that?