Top-Flite Gamer Tour(merged)

scall1968

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bobalew' timestamp='1362622383' post='6561021']
Yes. I played 9 with them a couple of weeks ago. I usually play Z-Stars, but in Colorado I was looking for a winter ball. The ball is impressive at $25.00 a dozen. Just think of the Gamer V2 with more bite.
[/quote]

Interesting, I found them to be a full club shorter than the V2 with irons and more with woods. I also found the Tour ball to be extremely unstable down wind. Not as unstable into the wind but definitely NOT the original V2 which I played for the past 3 years. This is a 36 hole sampling, also. I came home today and put the remaining 10 balls from the dozen i bought into my shag bag.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='NHGolfer1' timestamp='1365167970' post='6766617']
It doesn't surprise me that you went down in distance with the Tour version, a urethane cover will do that.
Ionomer gives better distance results but also less bite around the greens.

Callaway did an exceptional job in making Top Flite a respectable ball. I hope Dick's continues the course.
[/quote]

Bass awkwards.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

Ive played the Gamer V2 for about 3 years now. I tried the Tour version earlier this year and I did notice some distance loss. It also has a noticeably softer feel to me off all clubs..including the putter. I dont know...I just couldnt get use to that softer feel of the Tour. Im going to give it another try at some point soon.

[quote name='archer32' timestamp='1362949281' post='6584475']
Yes. I played 9 with them a couple of weeks ago. I usually play Z-Stars, but in Colorado I was looking for a winter ball. The ball is impressive at $25.00 a dozen. Just think of the Gamer V2 with more bite.
[/quote]

Interesting, I found them to be a full club shorter than the V2 with irons and more with woods. I also found the Tour ball to be extremely unstable down wind. Not as unstable into the wind but definitely NOT the original V2 which I played for the past 3 years. This is a 36 hole sampling, also. I came home today and put the remaining 10 balls from the dozen i bought into my shag bag.
[/quote]

???? I have hit dozens of different types of golf balls and have never seen a difference in an entire club length from one ball to the next especially in the $20 and up range. Maybe if I flush ball A and hosel rocket ball B it could happen. Am I the only one that just doesn't see this as being a reality? Or is this another "I am a golfWRXer with swingspeed of only 215, average 380 off the tee and lose a full club length when I play a sub $30 ball." type of thing?

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

[quote name='ronstars' timestamp='1365226894' post='6772685']
[/quote]

[/quote]

???? I have hit dozens of different types of golf balls and have never seen a difference in an entire club length from one ball to the next especially in the $20 and up range. Maybe if I flush ball A and hosel rocket ball B it could happen. Am I the only one that just doesn't see this as being a reality? Or is this another "I am a golfWRXer with swingspeed of only 215, average 380 off the tee and lose a full club length when I play a sub $30 ball." type of thing?
[/quote]

It must be the swingspeed of only 215. :taunt:

15 hcp

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I think average 380 off the tee!!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
For me a 2 or 3 piece distance ball is consistantly a full club longer than a 4 or 5 piece urethane cover tour ball.

[quote name='holein3' timestamp='1366031991' post='6847469']
What are the "gamer" options from top flite? Have the gamer v2's been discontinued? It seems as if the two options now are the "gamer" (white or yellow) and the "gamer tour". Am I correct on this?
[/quote]

Gamer V2 and Gamer Tour. Available at Dicks and Golf Galaxy stores as well as various other locations online.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1366033413' post='6847665']
[quote name='holein3' timestamp='1366031991' post='6847469']
What are the "gamer" options from top flite? Have the gamer v2's been discontinued? It seems as if the two options now are the "gamer" (white or yellow) and the "gamer tour". Am I correct on this?
[/quote]

Gamer V2 and Gamer Tour. Available at Dicks and Golf Galaxy stores as well as various other locations online.
[/quote]

The v2 doesn't seem to be an option at Dicks. Just the white/yellow gamer and the tour:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=gamer%20top%20flite&origkw=gamer+top+flite&sr=1

Golf Galaxy appears to carry white/yellow gamer, gamer v2, and gamer tour though..

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/top-flite-gamer/Search?search_submitted=yes&kw=top%20flite%20gamer

I'm wondering though, with the introduction of the yellow gamer 1, and the v2 not being on dicks site or top flite's site if they are doing away with the v2... here's top flite's ball site:

http://www.topflite.com/golf-balls

Ohhh...Im sorry. Top-Flite was bought by Callaway who in turn sold it to Dicks. During all this there was talk that the Gamer V2 (was the only option at the time except for the old original Gamer) would be discontinued. When Dicks took over, they repackaged\re-branded the Gamer V2 to just Gamer and introduced the Gamer Tour. The V2 that you see is going to be the same ball as the Gamer and Gamer Yellow with the exception of makings and\or color. The Gamer Tour a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1366037272' post='6848291']
Ohhh...Im sorry. Top-Flite was bought by Callaway who in turn sold it to Dicks. During all this there was talk that the Gamer V2 (was the only option at the time except for the old original Gamer) would be discontinued. When Dicks took over, they repackaged\re-branded the Gamer V2 to just Gamer and introduced the Gamer Tour. The V2 that you see is going to be the same ball as the Gamer and Gamer Yellow with the exception of makings and\or color. The Gamer Tour a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover.
[/quote]

Ok, so the new current "gamer" is the same ball as the previously know "gamer v2"? How long ago did they stop making the original "gamer" ('v1')?? Did anyone prefer the original gamer to the v2?

[quote name='holein3' timestamp='1366041587' post='6848957']
[/quote]

Ok, so the new current "gamer" is the same ball as the previously know "gamer v2"? How long ago did they stop making the original "gamer" ('v1')?? Did anyone prefer the original gamer to the v2?
[/quote]

I found the V1 to be harder (felt harder - a table somewhere might say otherwise) lighter and the cover peeled off after a few holes. A lot of other balls seemed to shred easily the year it came out, but the V1 was far and away the worst. The V2 was better in all respects. It spun less with a wedge, but I prefer a slightly less spinny ball anyway. Also nice to get on the green and find your ball is still in good shape for putting too.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1366043127' post='6849181']
[quote name='holein3' timestamp='1366041587' post='6848957']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I found the V1 to be harder (felt harder - a table somewhere might say otherwise) lighter and the cover peeled off after a few holes. A lot of other balls seemed to shred easily the year it came out, but the V1 was far and away the worst. The V2 was better in all respects. It spun less with a wedge, but I prefer a slightly less spinny ball anyway. Also nice to get on the green and find your ball is still in good shape for putting too.
[/quote]

Thanks. I guess I'm not missing anything by not having tried the original gamer. What year was it released? When did v2 come out?

The original Gamer came out around '07 or '08. The Gamer V2 in '09 or '10. I first heard of the Gamer Tour at the beginning of this year. If you're just now hearing about the Gamer V2 (now Gamer) there is plenty of info about it on Wrx. Its widely considered the best overall ball when you consider value+performance.

I wanted to give my initial impressions of the Gamer Tour, as I've played 2+ rounds with it. I am not able to to give a good impression of green side spin from the wedges, chip, pitches, etc. as the greens in NE Wisc. are soft and hairy.

95 ss, smooth; range of 90-100.

First off, putting in the house, I was struck by soft they felt. I really liked them off the driver, they still feel soft, but not like mush. These are definitely in the Bstone RX, RXS, Calli Hex Chrome, Srixon Z Star SL...category of balls. For me it performed well off the driver, I was able to keep trajectory down w/ out a problem, no ballooning. I'm not ready to say it's crazy long or anything, but distances are good and there were a handful of times when I didn't quite catch it and it was neck and neck w/ a 3pc. distance ball that I caught--same hole, 2 drives, one w/ the Gamer Tour and other w/ 3 pc. distance ball. I'm willing to bet those that have lost distance w/ this ball have a higher SS and are over compressing. Off woods/hybrids, again easy to control the trajectory, no ballooning and distances were normal for me, no loss or no major gain, and they felt ok; same as w/ driver, to be honest I can't really give you too much of an impression on full shots, sort of nondescript, nothing really stands out, maybe a muted feel. Irons/wedges, again easy to control trajectory, no ballooning, distance were within normal range for me. Durability--this ball gets nicked up easily. I play non CC grooves, legal for me through (or is until) 2024...so take that fwiw; well struck shots leave part of the cover hanging, scruff like. However, the cover does not cut, so it's thick, after removing the scruff, the ball is still playable. I will look and see if I have any cc grooved wedges and give the ball a workout to see if the durability is an issue w/ a cc groove club. Sadly it will be upwards to a month before it dries up and I will be able to give an honest review on short iron/wedge, partial wedge, chip, pitch spin around the greens; but my initial impressions are + in that regard. I wasn't expecting much...but am impressed so far!

Dicks/GG has them advertised on their site for 2 for 45 at the moment.