2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

West Virginia Golf Courses

TommylovesGolf

Do you need advice on WV golf courses? Are you travelling through and want to play golf? Reply here and I will provide you the best options for golf in the Mountain State.

Ping G425 Max 10* Ping Tour 80x
Tour Edge CBX 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 869
Tour Edge C721 Hydrid 19*
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour
Titleist SM6 50*12 SM7 54*08 and SM8 58*14K
Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MDCallaway' timestamp='1365042290' post='6756755']
What courses do you recommend there?
[/quote]It depends what part of the state you are in. There are many options no matter where you are. Are you taking a trip thru or staying here somewhere? I'll give you some hot ones though. In the northern panhandle, Oglebay Resort is in Wheeling and has 2 championship courses, one by Palmer, one by Trent Jones. Moving south around Morgantown, you have Lakeview Resort, which includes 2 courses too. The rates for Lakeview can be excessive, but they are on GolfNow.com, so you might catch a deal. In Kingwood, WV is Preston County Country Club, which is a nice setting. Rarely busy, nice layout, fun greens, sneaky long. As you travel down I-79 from Morgantown, the next stop for golf is Bridgeport/Clarksburg. There are several options here, but the majority are private clubs: Pete Dye Golf Club, Bridgeport CC, Clarksburg CC. Pete Dye goes without saying: AWESOME, if you can get on. The other 2 are older, shorter tracks. Bel Meadow Golf Club is just south of Clarksburg and is reasonably priced. However, the condition has suffered of late. Great layout by Robert Trent Jones, though. And just a bit further south is Stonewall Resort, a Palmer design. In the southern part of the state, Glade Springs now has 3 championship courses. The Raven at Snowshoe Mountain is out of the way, but an awesome Gary Player design. Let me know if you looking somewhere else in WV.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

[quote name='TommylovesGolf' timestamp='1365177886' post='6768029']
[quote name='MDCallaway' timestamp='1365042290' post='6756755']
What courses do you recommend there?
[/quote]It depends what part of the state you are in. There are many options no matter where you are. Are you taking a trip thru or staying here somewhere? I'll give you some hot ones though. In the northern panhandle, Oglebay Resort is in Wheeling and has 2 championship courses, one by Palmer, one by Trent Jones. Moving south around Morgantown, you have Lakeview Resort, which includes 2 courses too. The rates for Lakeview can be excessive, but they are on GolfNow.com, so you might catch a deal. In Kingwood, WV is Preston County Country Club, which is a nice setting. Rarely busy, nice layout, fun greens, sneaky long. As you travel down I-79 from Morgantown, the next stop for golf is Bridgeport/Clarksburg. There are several options here, but the majority are private clubs: Pete Dye Golf Club, Bridgeport CC, Clarksburg CC. Pete Dye goes without saying: AWESOME, if you can get on. The other 2 are older, shorter tracks. Bel Meadow Golf Club is just south of Clarksburg and is reasonably priced. However, the condition has suffered of late. Great layout by Robert Trent Jones, though. And just a bit further south is Stonewall Resort, a Palmer design. In the southern part of the state, Glade Springs now has 3 championship courses. The Raven at Snowshoe Mountain is out of the way, but an awesome Gary Player design. Let me know if you looking somewhere else in WV.
[/quote]

I actually live in western maryland deep creek lake area and just wondered what your recommendations were. I agree. Ogelbay jones Palmer great. Have also played stonewall and both Lakeview courses. Mountainview conditions sometimes not great. Lakeview always seems to be in great shape. Good challenge as well. Another course I enjoy in Morgantown is the pines. Always in good shape and the staff is awesome. Have yet to find a way into Pete dye and another one I'd love to play is pikewood national. Both private and haven't found a way on either. Have heard awesome things about both of those courses. Thanks

Pikewood is interesting. They won't even reciprocate with Pete Dye. Kind of silly to me considering they are a pair of sorts.

Oh well because Pete Dye Golf Club is one of the best courses Pete Dye has built anywhere. If it were closer to a big city, it would get a lot more recognition. I've heard they spent some money on the course last fall (new owner). I'm curious about the results.

In regards to Pikewood, it is awesome. No big name designers. Built by a rich dude in Morgantown who just wants his own course. He built it because he hated the Pines. Go figure. There are two ways to get on. 1. Caddie there. 2. Know a member. That's it. Membership is even by invite only, but I am sure you have $35,000 for initiation, they might consider you. LOL. Yes, of course, The Pines CC. It is a great course, especially since they redesigned the bunkers 4-5 years ago. Much easier to get on there. A WVGA VIP card will allow you to play there and couple other private clubs in WV. And hey, MDCallaway! How about you tell me about Maplehurst and Cumberland CC...

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1365195177' post='6769903']
Pikewood is interesting. They won't even reciprocate with Pete Dye. Kind of silly to me considering they are a pair of sorts.

Oh well because Pete Dye Golf Club is one of the best courses Pete Dye has built anywhere. If it were closer to a big city, it would get a lot more recognition. I've heard they spent some money on the course last fall (new owner). I'm curious about the results.
[/quote]
Well, I wouldn't say they're a pair. Pete Dye was built in the 90's well before Pikewood. But the owners of Pikewood don't want anything to do with any other courses in the area. They don't have outside tournaments and don't want any. Think Pine Valley mentality. The course and conditions are impeccable. And about Pete Dye, it is owned by Pacific Links International now. I have not heard of any changes. But I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

They are a pair in the respect that there aren't many national clubs in and around Bridgeport WV. Pete Dye is making maintenance changes. The summer last year was hot and broiling all over the mid-Atlantic. I think they are addressing some of those issues. The course will not change.

We used to play Pete Dye back in the early 2000s when they had caddies. They all raved about some 9 hole tract 30 minutes away. Pikewood.

I'd love to hear about any good courses near Morgantown. I'm just on the other side in SW Pennsylvania.

Perhaps a WRX outing later this year?

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1365212977' post='6771697']
I'd love to hear about any good courses near Morgantown. I'm just on the other side in SW Pennsylvania.

[/quote]

Are you in Waynesburg? Uniontown?

The Pines is my choice around Morgantown. Nothing against Lakeview except it takes forever to play on the weekend. PM me Brad if you wanna try The Pines.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Uniontown. I'm probably going to buy a summer membership up a Nemacolin as it's right next to work. Worst case, I'll hit a bucket every day before going home even if I don't play.

I'll be up for travelling in 2-3 weeks once my move from Cleveland is complete. I'll definitely drop you a line.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Nemacolin is the shizzle. It's just a neat place with a bunch of really cool exhibits. Mystic Rock is an American Bad A$$!!! Gimme a hollar when you're ready.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

there's a ton of us in the Pittsburgh area. We should put something together this summer. Meanwhile any of you guys have hair issues (or lack thereof) be sure and contact me when you 're ready to do something!

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1365213615' post='6771767']
[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1365212977' post='6771697']

[/quote]

Are you in Waynesburg? Uniontown?

The Pines is my choice around Morgantown. Nothing against Lakeview except it takes forever to play on the weekend. PM me Brad if you wanna try The Pines.
[/quote]
Yessir. The Pines, Lakeview and Mountainview are the only "playable" courses in Morgantown. But I wanna play too, dang it. I live about a mile from The Pines.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1365203848' post='6770735']
They are a pair in the respect that there aren't many national clubs in and around Bridgeport WV. Pete Dye is making maintenance changes. The summer last year was hot and broiling all over the mid-Atlantic. I think they are addressing some of those issues. The course will not change.

We used to play Pete Dye back in the early 2000s when they had caddies. They all raved about some 9 hole tract 30 minutes away. Pikewood.
[/quote]
I gotcha. Pikewood is huge. It has a course rating of 79.3 and a slope of 155 from the back tees. It's also very interesting from an architecture standpoint. A lot of old school design principles used. I caddied there on the opening day for the course in June 2005 and caddied for the owner a couple times. Interesting conversations... They played it as 9 holes(built the back nine first) for 2-3 years, then added the front 9. I worked on the maintenance crew for the 2 seasons it was only 9 holes. And I love Pete Dye GC. It actually got me started playing golf. I had never played golf before. And I got a job caddying there back in the mid 90's and had never a seen such an incredible use land and grass and sand. Started playing that summer. Aahhh. The 90's.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

in morgantown there is mountaineer which considering youre a golf wrxer ill tell you not even to bother wasting your time. Mountainview is a decent course with a good layout but bring your rangefinder because none of the holes have any yardages anywhere. I actually just played tuesday and wed. The greens were a tad slow and the fairways looked as if they had been yet to been cut but for how cold its been all year they have done a pretty good job. It just opened for the season so by the end of the month it should be decent. Mountainview has a pretty tough layout on some holes IMO. Lakeview is much nicer but there is only one time you actually see the lake haha. Never played the pines but I have caddied and played at Pikewood. Only one word can describe that place, majestic.

[quote name='TommylovesGolf' timestamp='1365202811' post='6770627']
In regards to Pikewood, it is awesome. No big name designers. Built by a rich dude in Morgantown who just wants his own course. He built it because he hated the Pines. Go figure. There are two ways to get on. 1. Caddie there. 2. Know a member. That's it. Membership is even by invite only, but I am sure you have $35,000 for initiation, they might consider you. LOL. Yes, of course, The Pines CC. It is a great course, especially since they redesigned the bunkers 4-5 years ago. Much easier to get on there. A WVGA VIP card will allow you to play there and couple other private clubs in WV. And hey, MDCallaway! How about you tell me about Maplehurst and Cumberland CC...
[/quote]

Maplehurst not worth your time IMO. Cumberland CC is a nice course. I did heard they had some problems with a couple greens this past year and actually had to close them and make temps. Not sure if this issues has been resolved or not. It's similar to the pines. Private but you can get on. Anyone out there know a way into Pete dye? They used to host pro ams there. 2 years ago I couldn't make that date and they took it out of the rotation.

[quote name='TommylovesGolf' timestamp='1365218241' post='6772201']

[/quote]
I gotcha. Pikewood is huge. It has a course rating of 79.3 and a slope of 155 from the back tees. It's also very interesting from an architecture standpoint. A lot of old school design principles used. I caddied there on the opening day for the course in June 2005 and caddied for the owner a couple times. Interesting conversations... They played it as 9 holes(built the back nine first) for 2-3 years, then added the front 9. I worked on the maintenance crew for the 2 seasons it was only 9 holes. And I love Pete Dye GC. It actually got me started playing golf. I had never played golf before. And I got a job caddying there back in the mid 90's and had never a seen such an incredible use land and grass and sand. Started playing that summer. Aahhh. The 90's.
[/quote]

How was your experience caddying at Pikewood? My wife just recently matched into residency in Morgantown. We are from down South and have no prior ties to the area. I work in the golf industry and am worried about finding a job. I may caddy for the summer months and reassess for winter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Useful Draw' timestamp='1366140055' post='6858785']
[quote name='TommylovesGolf' timestamp='1365218241' post='6772201']

[/quote]
[/quote]

How was your experience caddying at Pikewood? My wife just recently matched into residency in Morgantown. We are from down South and have no prior ties to the area. I work in the golf industry and am worried about finding a job. I may caddy for the summer months and reassess for winter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
[/quote]
Useful Draw...? I like that name, if only I could hit one. Caddying at Pikewood will not make u a lot of money. This isn't a typical course, where everyday, at least 100 people play. There are days at Pikewood, in the middle of summer no less, where NO rounds will be played. Weekends are the best chance to loop. It just doesn't get enough play for the work to be steady. However, caddying does give you the chance to play the course on Mondays, which is AWESOME! And keep in mind, it is WV, so the walk around the course can challenging, even without 2 bags on your shoulders.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

• 1 month later...

Someone please tell me how to get onto Pines. I'm tired of over paying for Lakeview, I refuse to play Mountaineer, and Preston CC is nice and relatively cheap but it's a bit of a hike for me. I live in Sabraton, which neighbors Morgantown.

G400 10.5* / TOUR AD GP-6s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
M4 3H / HZRDUS 85s
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX 50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

Lakeview runs groupon deals each year. I just got out there last week, played 36 at lakeview. The package included those, a round at mountainview, and 2 nights in the hotel (meals included). All for $140!

That's my third time playing Lakeview. It's in great shape, but holy hell it's narrow. Lots of cambered fairways and OB.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='FadeOnly' timestamp='1368998116' post='7064868']
Someone please tell me how to get onto Pines. I'm tired of over paying for Lakeview, I refuse to play Mountaineer, and Preston CC is nice and relatively cheap but it's a bit of a hike for me. I live in Sabraton, which neighbors Morgantown.
[/quote]
There's a couple of ways to get on. You can buy a VIP card from the WVGA. That will allow you to play on Mondays/Tuesdays for $40. You can make friends with a member. Or, join. They have a trial membership that is $199 a month, if you prepay Nov/Dec. It's difficult to get on there under the radar. Good luck. Let me know if you get on, I always enjoy playing there.

Odyssey Tour Black

Iomic Grips

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1365213879' post='6771789']
Uniontown. I'm probably going to buy a summer membership up a Nemacolin as it's right next to work. Worst case, I'll hit a bucket every day before going home even if I don't play.

I'll be up for travelling in 2-3 weeks once my move from Cleveland is complete. I'll definitely drop you a line.
[/quote]

Really? I work in Uniontown...lots of Western Pa guys on here...

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H