2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist pro V1 vs Titleist Pro V1X

killerswing

What is the main differnce between these two ? I heard that i works best for powerful players. I have a ss og 85 with a 6 iron do not know the speed with my driver. How powerful do you need to be to use these balls ? I am thinking of buying lake balls but would like to know which I should buy.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='killerswing' timestamp='1363706366' post='6643367']
What is the main differnce between these two ? I heard that i works best for powerful players. I have a ss og 85 with a 6 iron do not know the speed with my driver. How powerful do you need to be to use these balls ? I am thinking of buying lake balls but would like to know which I should buy.
[/quote]

If you do not know the difference I would suggest that you head over to Titleist's site and check out [url="http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/"]http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/[/url] as there is a lot of good information that will help you determine the best ball for your game while providing the different characteristics of each ball. For me, I spin the V1's way to much and my preferred ball of choice is the V1x.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

First, let me say this...

[i]I've now played about a dozen rounds with the 2013 ProV1, including a couple rounds hitting it side-by-side with my usual e6 ball. I also played a couple rounds with the 2013 ProV1x, including playing nine holes side-by-side with the ProV1.

For my short-hitter's game, there is no difference at all between the three balls (e6, ProV1, ProV1x) on tee shots or even hitting long clubs into Par 3's (like 5-wood or 4-hybrid). Or I should say if there's any difference it's smaller than I can detect. Maybe a couple yards, sure. Not much more than that.

On iron shots into greens the ProV1 may be just a tiny bit longer than the e6 with 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron. The ProV1x seems likely a couple yards shorter with 9-iron, PW, GW type shots. The ProV1x will spin back too much on short iron approaches, the e6 will bounce forward too much definitely. The ProV1 is Just Right.

And I know it's probably all in my imagination but I could swear my distance control is better on long lag putts with the ProV1/ProV1x compared to the e6.[/i]

Now let me say that I do not think my results will necessarily match anyone else's. Certainly not a better player and/or longer hitter than myself. I'm only posting to my results, or what I think I saw anyway, to suggest that you do just the same. Hit the same shots side by side at least a few dozen times over several rounds. Then play the ball you think you like best and see how it works out. Then you'll know.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1364140466' post='6678303']

[i]I've now played about a dozen rounds with the 2013 ProV1, including a couple rounds hitting it side-by-side with my usual e6 ball. I also played a couple rounds with the 2013 ProV1x, including playing nine holes side-by-side with the ProV1.

For my short-hitter's game, there is no difference at all between the three balls (e6, ProV1, ProV1x) on tee shots or even hitting long clubs into Par 3's (like 5-wood or 4-hybrid). Or I should say if there's any difference it's smaller than I can detect. Maybe a couple yards, sure. Not much more than that.

On iron shots into greens the ProV1 may be just a tiny bit longer than the e6 with 7-iron, 8-iron, 9-iron. The ProV1x seems likely a couple yards shorter with 9-iron, PW, GW type shots. The ProV1x will spin back too much on short iron approaches, the e6 will bounce forward too much definitely. The ProV1 is Just Right.

And I know it's probably all in my imagination but I could swear my distance control is better on long lag putts with the ProV1/ProV1x compared to the e6.[/i]

Now let me say that I do not think my results will necessarily match anyone else's. Certainly not a better player and/or longer hitter than myself. I'm only posting to my results, or what I think I saw anyway, to suggest that you do just the same. Hit the same shots side by side at least a few dozen times over several rounds. Then play the ball you think you like best and see how it works out. Then you'll know.
[/quote]

That's good information. I too wonder about how swing speed affects the use of the Pro [i]V1x, vs Pro V1. I too use the e6 (2013) at least through the winter months here in Oregon, then usually the Pro V1 during the summer. I'm an 8 handicap with a driver SS of only 90mph. I've read the Titleist propaganda, and would rather get reports like yours from real people that have made this type of comparison.[/i]

[/quote]

The ProV1X spins back too much with short irons but the ProV1 is just right? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The ProV1 is the higher spinning ball...

Don't know about "should be". I'm only describing what I've seen. Out of maybe 150 approach or full wedge shots with a Pro V1 and 30-odd of the same with the Pro V1x I've not seen the Pro V1 literally spin back (more than a couple inches I mean) at all. I have seen the Pro V1x do that three or four times. Could be there was something funky about the way I hit a couple of those Pro V1x shots.

By the way I'm not talking about a Greg Norman-esque spin back from the back of the green all the way down to the front edge. It has been in situations where it landed close to a ridge or a false front on the green and just a little bit of back-up gets it rolling away from the hole. Could well have been luck of the draw given that it was so few occasions. But it did not motivate me to spend any more rounds with the Pro V1x so I can't say more!

P.S. I would not say it's impossible that I swing a bit harder at the Pro V1x without meaning to. It does feel/sound firmer so who knows, maybe I give it a little extra whack or something...

• 11 months later...

[/quote]

I played the e6 in a tournament last week and my lag putting was terrible, played 3 rounds this week already with prov1x and lag putting is much much better. Bring on the monthly medal on Friday.

Titleist 910D2 Diamana Ahina 72 Stiff
Titleist 913F RIP Phenom 80 Stiff - A1
Taylor Made Rescue Mid 19* & 25*
Titleist 712 AP1's S300's
Titleist Vokey SM4's 50* 54* 60*
Taylor Made Ghost Spider 35inch
WITB Link

[quote name='bouche03' timestamp='1364234010' post='6690227']

The ProV1X spins back too much with short irons but the ProV1 is just right? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The ProV1 is the higher spinning ball...
[/quote]

NOPE. He's absolutely correct. "Most" good players find that the V1X spins more around the green and with the shorter irons. Strange ... but proven to be true.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='killerswing' timestamp='1363706366' post='6643367']
[/quote]

The difference varies from brand year to brand year, depending on what manufacturers are doing with driver heads. But typically the ProV1 will spin a bit more more than the ProV1x. For someone with a high swing speed, the lower spin on the V1x will often allow them to squeeze about another 5 yds or so of distance out of a drive. For someone with a lower swing speed, the higher spin on the V1 will help them with stopping power into and around the greens.

However, YMMV.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1394035083' post='8803165']

NOPE. He's absolutely correct. "Most" good players find that the V1X spins more around the green and with the shorter irons. Strange ... but proven to be true.
[/quote]

I too find the ProV1x to spin more than the ProV1. I do not get the consistency out of the V1 that I have come to expect. The ProV1x is my choice between the 2 balls. As others have posted there is great info out there comparing these 2 balls.

[url="http://www.golfballtest.org/index.php/2013/04/2013-titleist-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x/"]http://www.golfballtest.org/index.php/2013/04/2013-titleist-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x/[/url]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I think this is one of those times you need to try a sleeve of each. That may not be the answer you are looking for (I know I am the same - I hate the answer of get fit or you need to try) but I think in this case makes sense.

Titleist and most people will say the ProV1X is probably a better fit for high swing speeds or high spin. I will tell you though for me, I am neither (driver SS hovers in the upper 90's) and I use the X. Also, there are many LPGA players using the X.

For some reason, the 1 spins more of the tee more my and will balloon or turn a 15 yards slice in the rough to a 25 yard slice OB or behind a tree. I find were little approach or greenside spin differences. The 1 feels better to me but the X is longer off the tee noticeably. Over the last 5 years I always seems to take the 1 out for a spin and keep getting the same results. So for me, the X is better even though it probably is not designed for me.

I agree with Flyersby. I've always been a hard swinger and would play the Pro V1x and the 330, every time I would play a Pro v1 I seemed to play really well. Of course my ego wouldn't let me buy a dozen Pro V1 because they are for "slower swingers". Well after playing a beat-up Pro V1 a few weeks ago and killing it (and i mean noticably longer than what I usually play...places I was just shaking my head at in disbelief), I bought a dozen Pro v1 and have been playing great. Long story, short...play what works the best for you

Titleist TS4 8.5 - Accra FX 2.0 M5 360
Titleist TS3 - 15 degree - Accra FX 2.0 M5 370
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - Even Flow White 6.5
Ping S55 3-W Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
Ping Glide 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue 
Ping 2021 Anser 4

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jknit' timestamp='1395526502' post='8927007']
I always thought that the prov1x was meant for a slightly lower, penetrating ball flight am I wrong on that?
[/quote]

I don't think there is a "swing speed" difference between these balls. There are numerous tour players using a ProV1 and they obviously aren't lacking any swing speed. I have found the biggest difference in these balls showing up with the irons. Lots of people have a ballooning problem with the V1 that isn't present with the V1X. As for the ball flight, you are correct that the V1X is designed to have a lower ball flight. These balls are like a lot of other choices we have in the game .... play them both and see which one works best for you.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

In my experience the ProV1x is a couple yards longer off the tee than the ProV1. The ProV1 seems to spin slightly more up to the six or seven iron and then the ProV1x starts to spin slightly more in the high irons. The ProV1x also seems to have slightly more bite on the greenside chips too. So to me the ProV1x has the spin where I want it throughout the bag. All of these are slight differences, nothing dramatic. The largest difference to me between the two is the feel. While the X isn't a hard ball (feels softer than the Lethal for example) it's still firmer than the ProV1.

The V1 is a three piece ball, and the V1x is a four piece ball. The V1 will generally spine more with the longer clubs, like the driver. Mid-irons and short irons are very similar spin wise, but V1 is softer feeling. Around the greens and with the wedges, the V1x will usually spin a little more.

It is tough to say this one is for "Type A Player" and that the other one is for "Type B Player." Get a sleeve of each and try them side by side for a few holes, and make a decision on real experience. For me, I like a three piece ball and the V1's softer feel. I don't like the extra spin off the tee, but it is a trade-off. No ball is perfect.

Driver: Callaway XR Pro, Project X LZ, 6.0
3 wood: Callaway XR Pro, Project X LZ. 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra BioCell, Project X, 6.0
Irons: Ping g5 (3-UW) White, CS lite, S
Wedges: Vokey 56.08, 1* up
Putter: SC Futura X5R, 35 in
Ball: Chrome Soft

I went to Titleist for a club fitting last year. When we got to talking about balls, the fitter told me that the dimple design on the ProV1X is designed for a higher launch; the Pro V1 has a dimple design for a more penetrating flight. The Pro V1 spins a bit more; the Pro V1 spins a bit less. They are both very good balls.

His advice: go out to a course when not crowded, and hit approach shots with three of each from 120 yards and in. Make up your mind by what works best for you. Test from different distances, and decide.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='hougy12' timestamp='1394376207' post='8831347']
I agree with Flyersby. I've always been a hard swinger and would play the Pro V1x and the 330, every time I would play a Pro v1 I seemed to play really well. Of course my ego wouldn't let me buy a dozen Pro V1 because they are for "slower swingers". Well after playing a beat-up Pro V1 a few weeks ago and killing it (and i mean noticably longer than what I usually play...places I was just shaking my head at in disbelief), I bought a dozen Pro v1 and have been playing great. Long story, short...play what works the best for you
[/quote]

And there you go. I am not a hard swinger and after using both the Prov1x works better for me.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1395943623' post='8962807']
[quote name='hougy12' timestamp='1394376207' post='8831347']
[/quote]

And there you go. I am not a hard swinger and after using both the Prov1x works better for me.
[/quote]

The last 3 iterations of the V1 and the V1x have ALL had slightly different marketing(?) descriptions - drive ya crazy.

I believe the first one was pretty simple. V1x was a bit firmer, flew lower off the driver and therefore(?) went further but spun less. Descriptions of the 2 balls sounded pretty much like every other(?) brands' premium balls out there with 2 "versions", yes ?

With the last 2 iterations of the Pro V the descriptions have been changing.

Bottom line ? Try 'em both and pick the one you like, assuming of course, you like the Pro V in the first place,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I have played both V1 & V1x. This year I switched back to the V1 because I prefer the feel, the 1x was definitely longer off the driver for me however the V1 was longer off my irons & more workable. The V1 has a slightly lower launch with more spin (may produce higher peak trajectory) - the V1x has a slightly higher launch with less spin (more penetrating downrange flight). The reason players find the wedges spin more with the V1x is we don't produce enough speed to activate the core of the V1x on our wedge shots, it's the cover on the ball that provides the spin. I have read that Adam Scott claimed his swing produced a lower spin rate & wanted more control with shaping his shots - Rickie Fowler (long time X user) claimed additional distance with the 2013 ProV1 over the V1x. It just depends on your swings launch & spin rates, too much spin and ball will balloon, too little spin and the ball will not stay in the air. Maybe that's why I carry my irons further with the V1, and really only lose a couple of yards from the tee.

I've said this many times and I have to agree with Vogel and Ceres. WIth a 90 mph ss my ball, any ball, is only going so far. I spent a great deal of time out late on a flat, open fairway. 150yds.,125, 100 and 50. Hit all kinds of shots in bunkers and around the green. Lots of time on the putting. In the end my swing isn't going to change and my clubs aren't either. ( I like both, lol). So the ball has to work for us, so to speak. Found mine, feel, flight, spin etc. Now I don't look further regardless of any OEM claims. IMO this is the ONLY way to do it.
Only exception I make now is using 'found' balls in late fall to spring. I'm not giving the good ones to the leaf thieves.

I've played every iteration of the ProV1x since it's existence.

The main difference is the spin separation you see in the x compared to the 1, and that's a result of the additional layer. Basically, the firmer outer core in the x reduces spin slightly on drives, yet the dimple pattern will increase the launch. High launch low spin is generally a combo that produces longer drives for people, but everyone is a little different in that some could actually benefit from hitting the driver with more spin (like lower clubhead speeds), and have a lower ball flight (because they play in windy conditions). The x produces more green side spin because of the thin cover and that outer core layer as well. So there is a greater separation between driver and wedge with the ball. The 1 will be slightly higher spin off the driver, and slightly lower spin off the wedges, so in other words, there's less spin separation. You see that most guys want less spin on the driver, and more spin around the green, so they play the prov1x ball (just look at the titleist website and who plays what). With that said, guys that like to work the ball a lot, and prefer a softer feeling ball, will bag the prov1. It's sort of personal preference.

I hope that explains it well enough. The additional layer and dimple pattern changes the characteristics and overall spin separation. In my opinion, the difference in distance between the two is fairly minimal. All of the balls made by Titleist, even the distance balls, play within 5 yards or less off the tee of any other ball. The difference between the two Prov1/x balls is maybe 2 yards at the most, and really comes down to your personal launch numbers and achieving the ideal numbers for distance.

My recommendation in picking between these balls is starting at the green and working your way back to the tee. Find a ball that feels and performs around the green as you like, and go from there.

driver>chart_left.pngchart_right.png <around the green

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 1 month later...