Washington State Golf Course Reports

1171819202123»

Comments

• sway162sway162 Lakewood, WAMembers  23WRX Points: 51Handicap: 16.2Posts: 23 Bunkers

On -, @kaschreiber said:

On -, @sway162 said:

Has anyone rented out the golf boards at White Horse? Thoughts? Looks like a fun time!

I've never done it at White Horse, but have at Druids Glenn, and unfortunately, I thought it kind of sucked. We wound up turning them in at the turn for a normal cart. My biggest gripe was that I didn't really think the course itself was that conducive for them and I'd think WH is similar. In my mind, you need a big, open course with rolling fairways- Chambers, Gamble, etc. Smaller courses with a lot of undulation and tight cart paths would be pretty hard to maneuver. They're like a jet ski in that they're really hard to balance on any sort of slope when stopped or moving slowly, so I'd imagine getting them going after each stop would be kind of a pain in the ****. That said, don't let this alone turn you away. Glad we did it once, just wouldn't do it again unless at a bigger course (if that makes sense)

Thank you, I appreciate this. I see what you're saying though and now having second thoughts. With some of this rain we've been having as well doesn't favor towards trying the board. We'll see...I will make a game time decision!

On -, @turfmantim said:

Anyone played Bear Mountain Ranch or Desert Canyon lately?

I played both in mid-July. I love both courses. At the time I played, Desert Canyon was in better shape. Greens were rolling quicker and true than compared to Bear Mtn. Fairways were in better shape as well.

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2 
    Ping G410 Crossover Hybrid 2H 
    Ping G Crossover Hybrid 4H
    Ping i210 5-UW
    Bettinardi H2 303 SS 52-56-60
    Bettinardi 2019 Studio Stock 38 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bird206bird206 Members  181WRX Points: 154Posts: 181 Fairways

Played Druids Glen yesterday and its fairways are starting to soften and get soggy. Didn't get too much roll and handful of embedded balls. They will start aerating their greens 11/30 and 10/1. This was my favorite course to play all Summer and yesterday's round unfortunately will be my last one for this year and will look forward to playing it next Summer.

Posted:
  • R4haehlR4haehl Members  81WRX Points: 54Handicap: 5.9Posts: 81 Fairways

Chambers Bay yesterday AM 9/29 - Course was in incredible shape, even after some of the rain we have had lately including the night before. Had very linksy weather with winds that you had to account for on each hole. Brisk, cloud covered for the most part but the sun would peak out for a few holes. Greens rolled great and the course played firm overall. It is getting to the time of the year where lots of rounds are to be played at a select few courses.

Posted:
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members, ClubWRX  445WRX Points: 98Handicap: Too low to win $$$Posts: 445 Greens

Got a tee time at 12:48pm Thursday (10/24) at Chambers Bay. Booked a twosome as they wouldn't let me book as a single. Looking for somebody to play with. I got the tee time for $80 per person. Let me know! I'm a 3-5 HDCP but don't care if you shoot 120 as long as you're faster than Dechambeau. Coming into town for a wedding this coming weekend. Thanks

Posted:
    SIM 9.0* AD-IZ 6S // SIM 15* AD-IZ 7S // SIM 19* AD-DI 7S or GAPR 18* AD-DI 85S // P790 Modus 120S // MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER X 34"
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members, ClubWRX  445WRX Points: 98Handicap: Too low to win $$$Posts: 445 Greens

Also wanted to know what you guys' thoughts were on a caddie at Chambers? Thinking maybe having one carry my bag, or should I save a bit a book a forecaddie?

Posted:
    SIM 9.0* AD-IZ 6S // SIM 15* AD-IZ 7S // SIM 19* AD-DI 7S or GAPR 18* AD-DI 85S // P790 Modus 120S // MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER X 34"
  • MustuMustu Members  38WRX Points: 33Posts: 38 Bunkers

I've never taken a caddie or played in a group with a caddie. But, I can see it being helpful. There are some holes that require the right line. I bet a caddie would save you 3-4 strokes especially as a better golfer. I'd suggest getting there a little early. The practice area is really nice and you have to take a shuttle down to the course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1055WRX Points: 701Handicap: 12Posts: 1,055 Platinum Tees

On -, @RobYakes said:

Also wanted to know what you guys' thoughts were on a caddie at Chambers? Thinking maybe having one carry my bag, or should I save a bit a book a forecaddie?

I was in a group with a caddie, not my own. Still made my round enjoyble enough that I tipped him, it was that kind of experience. I think you'll enjoy having one if you can spring the cash.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• gsxrdngsxrdn Members  8WRX Points: 7Posts: 8 Bunkers

Harbour Pointe Golf Course is quite muddy and foggy today morning.

Posted:
  • SuperPapaBearSuperPapaBear Aim left, block right Members  137WRX Points: 54Posts: 137 Fairways

I played Echo Falls yesterday. Overall the course is in decent shape with the greens being the best part. It was cart paths only and the fairways are starting to get pretty soggy, but overall it was good for the middle of October given the amount of rain we've had the last couple of weeks.

Posted:

Just finished playing Jackson yesterday and today. Some plugged balls and cart path only. Greens are slow with debris. Grass starting to get bare in some fairway and tee box spots. Overall, still playable for this time of the year considering the rain we had and the price point . 12th hole basin is not super soggy yet if that gives any additional indication.

Posted:

Went over to White Horse today. Gorgeous fall day, not a cloud in the sky. Course was in great shape given time of year and how much rain lately. No plugged balls and fairway balls were rolling out considerably. Greens rolled great. Cart path only for those who plan on riding. The wind picked up quite a bit which made things interesting. $39 walking rate and $20 replay made for a **** of a day since we decided to go back around for a 2nd loop once we finished.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kaschreiberkaschreiber Seattle, WAMembers  147WRX Points: 112Handicap: 14Posts: 147 Fairways

Played Mt Si on Saturday. Teed off at 9:30 and had temps through the first 6. Course was in great winter shape, $26 to walk. Some issues with slow play but other than that a solid round for sure.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* +1
    Callaway Rogue 5w
    TaylorMade M3 3h 19*
    TaylorMade M4 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black: 52/14*, 56/14*, 60/4*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Courses I've Played

Checking in with any Puget Sound Golfers on the east side (non-peninsula) who have played any non-soggy public courses so far this year. I know we've been getting hit hard with the rain since the beginning of the year so pickings are going to be slim. I've been hitting Jefferson lately which remarkably doesn't get too soggy (still kind a wet and bare grass in some places), but getting tired of playing the same track. I'm pretty sure Chambers and Home Course is probably playing decent for this time of the year. Any other courses around the Metro Puget Sound area where folks have played and experienced decent playing conditions for this time of the year?

Posted:
  • kaschreiberkaschreiber Seattle, WAMembers  147WRX Points: 112Handicap: 14Posts: 147 Fairways

I played Mt Si last Fri 1/31. Even in the downpour we were having it was still solid and remains my go to course in the area. Had a couple balls plug, but didn't lose any and had some actually bounce and run in fairways too. It was closed Super Bowl Sunday, but I think that was more due to the snow Saturday night and the river flooding as well. If it's open, it's worth checking out.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* +1
    Callaway Rogue 5w
    TaylorMade M3 3h 19*
    TaylorMade M4 4-PW

Courses I've Played

Thanks. I think you mentioned it before as a good winter course. Thanks for the update. May have to give it a try.

Posted:
  • erichakeerichake Members  74WRX Points: 93Posts: 74 Bunkers

West Seattle 2/9/20 - had morning tee time. Virtually the entire course is muddy grass. Walking the fairway left inched deep footprints and mud covering our shoes. It didn't rain that day, but it has rained a lot in the past weeks. It was the wettest golf course I've ever been on. Easy to lose a ball in the fairway because they plug deep into the muck.

Posted:

Advertisement

Played Echo Falls 2/9. Plenty of wet spots in the fairway and plenty of balls plugging, but greens were in good shape. As a foursome we maybe lost one ball each in the fairway. Not sure if it's a permanent change or just because the tees are flooded, but the new location of the tees on #3 makes it drastically different hole and I fully support moving them there full time.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* +1
    Callaway Rogue 5w
    TaylorMade M3 3h 19*
    TaylorMade M4 4-PW

Courses I've Played

Played Home Course yesterday and happy to report no plugged balls and tee shots with driver actually had some roll out. Greens were a bit slow and inconsistent with some motting. I was so ecstatic to play on a course in the Puget sound area that wasn't super soggy during this time of the year. I plan to come back soon!

Posted:

2/22 - Played a mid day round at Jackson. I was pleasantly surprised with conditions for this time of year. No plugged balls, had some mud balls but was playing ball in hand. Greens rolled fine, again for time of year. Pace of play was acceptable for a city muni, but then again it is still February lol - fingers crossed for more dry days in our forecast!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.