Washington State Golf Course Reports

Comments

• ayotte2ayotte2 Members  325WRX Points: 53Posts: 325 Greens
    Whoever plays Apple Tree regularly must go thru alot of sand wedges. That sand is course. Sure love the place despite the course sand. That and whatever you do, don't play out of the Apple going up 18. Your clubhead will never be the same. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TheMackDaddyTheMackDaddy SEATTLEJr. Boomers  4742WRX Points: 130Handicap: 0-10Posts: 4,742 Titanium Tees
    I got around to playing Chambers today... Everyone in my group (except for my dad) quit after hole 11 after fog rolled in causing #12 to look completely whited out. I have some videos and a picture I might post later!
    Posted:
  • plutchplutch Members  64WRX Points: 90Posts: 64 Bunkers
    SemperFi91 wrote:

I play the Yakima Elks Golf Course about 5 days a week. The course right now is in great shape and the weather is even better. Small greens and narrow fairways. Anybody in the area that wants to play, hit me up.

Played Apple Tree last night also. Big greens and usually pretty wet as they like to water it a lot. Was actually in very nice shape and the greens were rolling very true. Not as fast as I've seen in the past, but still pretty good.

Played Mt Adams down in Toppenish last weekend and those greens are always in nice shape. Very tree lined for those that haven't played it and not too expensive.

But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.

Hey may I ask how you got onto Tumble Creek? I have played Prospector and Rope Rider, I love it up at Suncadia, great place to play.

I haven't played Tumble Creek yet, thought that it was private.
    Posted:
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers  1168WRX Points: 173Handicap: 3Posts: 1,168 Platinum Tees

I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.

Do they have this information on their website about the free junior? That would be perfect for my younger brother and I.
    Posted:
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G410 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
    PING VALOR CB 35"
  • bruingolf04bruingolf04 Members  131WRX Points: 77Posts: 131 Fairways
    Does anyone else (piggy-backing to a couple of posts above) feel that Washington State golf courses lack sand? I was play Echo Falls a couple of weeks ago and I literally hit rock hard dirt (yes, black stuff) out of a fairway bunker. I find this to be common on many courses I play and it's eating me up inside lol (yes, it hurts physically and mentally)
    Posted:
  • TheMackDaddyTheMackDaddy SEATTLEJr. Boomers  4742WRX Points: 130Handicap: 0-10Posts: 4,742 Titanium Tees
    jamie wrote:

I'm playing Chambers this weekend as a father's day gift to my dad... Should be awesome. On a different note, JUNIORS ARE FREE at Chambers every Sunday with a paid adult!!!! I'll split the cost with someone for a sunset or super sunset rate sometime if anyone is interested.

Do they have this information on their website about the free junior? That would be perfect for my younger brother and I.

I couldn't find it. I only found out when I called them up.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers  1168WRX Points: 173Handicap: 3Posts: 1,168 Platinum Tees

jamie wrote:

I couldn't find it. I only found out when I called them up.

Thank you, I'll give them a call sometime...sounds like an awesome deal.
    Posted:
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G410 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING VALOR CB 35"
  • robeansrobeans Members  58WRX Points: 35Posts: 58 Bunkers
    Anyone have an update on Willows? Gonna play early tomorrow but will skip it and play Echo if sucky.
    Posted:
  • chrndwgchrndwg Members  173WRX Points: 52Posts: 173 Fairways
    robeans wrote:

Anyone have an update on Willows? Gonna play early tomorrow but will skip it and play Echo if sucky.

Haven't played either too recently, but given the rain of the past few days, and the showers predicted for tomorrow, I'd stay away from both. Those are literally #1 and #2 of wet courses in the area that I've ever played. I'd say you should head to one of the Seattle munis for the same price - even west seattle takes on water better than those places.

I should mention that Willows in particular hit a sore spot with me this spring when I called to ask how the course was and was told "it's a little wet in parts" only to drive 45 minutes, show up and see ducks swimming on the fairways a few holes in...don't think I'll ever be paying to go back there again.
    Posted:
  • RJfisherRJfisher Members  177WRX Points: 0Posts: 177

Does anyone else (piggy-backing to a couple of posts above) feel that Washington State golf courses lack sand? I was play Echo Falls a couple of weeks ago and I literally hit rock hard dirt (yes, black stuff) out of a fairway bunker. I find this to be common on many courses I play and it's eating me up inside lol (yes, it hurts physically and mentally)

This is really common and I've only seen a couple Western WA courses with fluffy sand. Strangely enough, Harbor Pointe has some of the better bunkers I've seen lately, and it's right on the Sound.
    Posted:
  • TMBobTMBob Members  5375WRX Points: 62Handicap: 5Posts: 5,375 Titanium Tees
    RJfisher wrote:

This is really common and I've only seen a couple Western WA courses with fluffy sand. Strangely enough, Harbor Pointe has some of the better bunkers I've seen lately, and it's right on the Sound.

Want fully sand do ya? Careful what you wish for....go play Maplewood and report back on the fluffy sand please.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • evanmevanm Seattle/Bay Area Members  169WRX Points: 55Handicap: 2Posts: 169 Fairways
    I don't notice much consistency in bunkers in the Seattle area, but generally there isn't much sand. Druids Glen is one that comes to mind that has a lot of fluffy sand.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
    Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
    Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
    Ping Vault Anser 2
  • RJfisherRJfisher Members  177WRX Points: 0Posts: 177
    TMBob wrote:

RJfisher wrote:

Want fully sand do ya? Careful what you wish for....go play Maplewood and report back on the fluffy sand please.

I'll take fluffy over compacted cement with hidden rocks that ruin my wedges any day!
    Posted:
  • FlyFishFlyFish FlyFish Members  1371WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,371
    Agree on the hardness of the sand here. There's no point in buying high bounce sand wedges because you're just going to skull the ball if you try to play it like a sand shot in most places. I imagine that the courses don't put a high priority on it because the bunkers are wet most of the time. We have enough tree hazards in the Pacific Northwest anyways! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • TMBobTMBob Members  5375WRX Points: 62Handicap: 5Posts: 5,375 Titanium Tees
    Played Lake Spanaway today....also played there about 5 weeks ago.....ran into the same issue....greens do not drain well with light rain, other then that the course was pretty darn good overall.

Lake Spanaway has the potential to be one of the best tracks in the state public wise with some work done t it design wise. That and West Seattle are just screaming for a make over IMHO
    Posted:
    Does anyone on here ever get to play Tacoma G&CC? They remodeled it, and jeez... it is one of the nicest tracks you can play. Always in perfect shape, superb layout, lots of fun.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • evanmevanm Seattle/Bay Area Members  169WRX Points: 55Handicap: 2Posts: 169 Fairways
    TMBob wrote:

Played Lake Spanaway today....also played there about 5 weeks ago.....ran into the same issue....greens do not drain well with light rain, other then that the course was pretty darn good overall.

Lake Spanaway has the potential to be one of the best tracks in the state public wise with some work done t it design wise. That and West Seattle are just screaming for a make over IMHO

100% Agree
    Posted:
    Ping Vault Anser 2
  • gin and tonicgin and tonic Members  91WRX Points: 42Posts: 91 Bunkers
    TMBob wrote:

RJfisher wrote:

Hit better shots and you won't have to worry if the sand is fluffy or not. Sorry, couldn't resist, standing joke/comment at Maplewood.

BTW, totally agree the sand in the PNW is very inconsistent.
    Posted:
  • chrndwgchrndwg Members  173WRX Points: 52Posts: 173 Fairways

Does anyone on here ever get to play Tacoma G&CC? They remodeled it, and jeez... it is one of the nicest tracks you can play. Always in perfect shape, superb layout, lots of fun.

I played a Pro-Am out there late last year and I agree - one of the nicest courses I've played. The practice facilities are amazing (loved trying to hit the giant bell on the driving range), and I found the course to be a nice mix of risk/reward. I liked that at Tacoma you could get yourself in trouble, but you could still pull off a good shot to get yourself out of trouble (unlike many other courses where missing the fairway is basically an automatic 1 shot penalty bc of the trees).
    Posted:
  • bruingolf04bruingolf04 Members  131WRX Points: 77Posts: 131 Fairways
    May be the wrong thread, but anyone need +1 tomorrow? My group bailed and I'm looking to play somewhere. I'm in South Lake Union. PM me!

FYI 15 handicapper that occasionally plays like a 5 or a 30
    Posted:
    chrndwg wrote:

I played a Pro-Am out there late last year and I agree - one of the nicest courses I've played. The practice facilities are amazing (loved trying to hit the giant bell on the driving range), and I found the course to be a nice mix of risk/reward. I liked that at Tacoma you could get yourself in trouble, but you could still pull off a good shot to get yourself out of trouble (unlike many other courses where missing the fairway is basically an automatic 1 shot penalty bc of the trees).
    So either it is as nice as we think, or University of Washington fans think alike!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • SemperFi91SemperFi91 Members  746WRX Points: 55Posts: 746 Golden Tee
    plutch wrote:

SemperFi91 wrote:

I play the Yakima Elks Golf Course about 5 days a week. The course right now is in great shape and the weather is even better. Small greens and narrow fairways. Anybody in the area that wants to play, hit me up.

Played Apple Tree last night also. Big greens and usually pretty wet as they like to water it a lot. Was actually in very nice shape and the greens were rolling very true. Not as fast as I've seen in the past, but still pretty good.

Played Mt Adams down in Toppenish last weekend and those greens are always in nice shape. Very tree lined for those that haven't played it and not too expensive.

But the real gem is Tumble Creek at Suncadia. This has to be the nicest course I've played anywhere. The conditions are perfect. We played it a week before the US Open Qualifier and played it from the tips. The fairways are like tee boxes at most nice courses and you can literally putt from 20-40 feet off the green. They were rolling about 12.5-13 when we were there and they said they were gonna try to get them a little faster. The weather was low 80's with a very very slight breeze which is really unusual. Played with a former US Open local qualifier winner which made it even more fun. I've played Tumble about 4-5 times now and it just keeps getting better. A definite must if you are in the area.

Hey may I ask how you got onto Tumble Creek? I have played Prospector and Rope Rider, I love it up at Suncadia, great place to play.

I haven't played Tumble Creek yet, thought that it was private.

One of my good friends knows someone that is a member there. I've played it about 5 or 6 times now and it is absolutely one of the best courses I have ever played....anywhere!

At one point, I heard that if you were a member of a private golf club, you could have your pro call their pro and make a tee time for you. I believe the cost is $125 plus cart. I say it's worth that at least once!
    Posted:
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400 - 9*
    Ping G30 - 17*

Ping G400 - 19*
    Ping G30 - 22*

Ping G30 - 25*
    TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft
    Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58
    Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights
    [/font]
    Played Jackson Park this weekend. Getting roll on fairways and totally dry. I didn't visit any bunkers. They're keeping the green's grass longer, probably due to the heat and recently applying fungicide, so they are rolling fairly slow.
    Posted:
  • gmu155gmu155 Members  268WRX Points: 0Posts: 268
    Play chambers Sunday: super hot out. Drank about 8 bottles of water. They told us they are preping for the us open. The greens complex is really tough, it seems like more false edges and elevation then a year ago. The long tall grass are gone from the rough. Fair ways are perfect. Everything is super dry.

Side note, I played from the sand tees, and only miss 3 fair ways all day, but ended up with 7 three puts. Ouch.
    Posted:
  • bpark1210bpark1210 Pacific Dunes #2 Members  1977WRX Points: 51Handicap: 8.6Posts: 1,977 Platinum Tees
    Been playing a lot of muni golf. Perks of working for Premier is that I pay zero green fees. Hit up Jax and West right after the Seattle Am and they are both in great condition. The greens on both courses are the fastest I've ever seen them.

Played Jax on Weds and it's def been dried out. The greens feel baked from the hot weather we've been having lately. Approach shot must be hit crisply with spin to have any chance of sticking. Fairways are always just hit or miss but the greens are excellent due to tourney conditions and prob rolling around 11-12.

West was played yesterday on July 4th. First hole got on GIR and 4 putted! Greens were super rock hard and solid. It was a welcome surprise for sure. The scores for the Seattle Am were posted and West was playing toughest out of all the courses. The highest scores were shot at West. They might be rolling toughest out of any course in the state right now. I know a muni course, I said it, toughest in the state right now!. With 12-13 speed greens is crazy!! Love it, I hope they keep it this way through the excellent heat wave we've been having and will continue to have through next week.
    Posted:
    TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
    Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
    TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
    Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
    Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
    Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
    Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
    Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
    Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
    Piretti Teramo CS
    Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
    WITB Link
    Redmond Ridge - fairways in good shape, totally dry and a little on the lush side. Greens were firm and rolling very well. Nice sand in the bunkers, but still can't play real sand shots out of them due to moisture.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dave williedave willie Members  842WRX Points: 107Posts: 842 Golden Tee
    bpark1210 wrote:

Been playing a lot of muni golf. Perks of working for Premier is that I pay zero green fees. Hit up Jax and West right after the Seattle Am and they are both in great condition. The greens on both courses are the fastest I've ever seen them.

Played Jax on Weds and it's def been dried out. The greens feel baked from the hot weather we've been having lately. Approach shot must be hit crisply with spin to have any chance of sticking. Fairways are always just hit or miss but the greens are excellent due to tourney conditions and prob rolling around 11-12.

West was played yesterday on July 4th. First hole got on GIR and 4 putted! Greens were super rock hard and solid. It was a welcome surprise for sure. The scores for the Seattle Am were posted and West was playing toughest out of all the courses. The highest scores were shot at West. They might be rolling toughest out of any course in the state right now. I know a muni course, I said it, toughest in the state right now!. With 12-13 speed greens is crazy!! Love it, I hope they keep it this way through the excellent heat wave we've been having and will continue to have through next week.

I agree. I played West Seattle on Saturday and made an 8-footer on #1 to salvage a three-putt. I think I've four-putted that hole two or three times this year, and I'm usually a pretty good putter. With the slope on some of West Seattle's greens they are as tough as anywhere right now. So many subtle breaks and elevation changes on the greens that it is tough to putt aggressively. If you do, you better be rolling it well or you're going to three putt or worse a lot. I also enjoy playing there, but I need to improve my approach shots into the green to avoid the three- and four-Jacks.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D3 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0 55g
    Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood PXv 6.0
    Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* KBS 80-S
    Ping i210 4-PW AWT 2.0 R
    Cleveland 588 50* & 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Cameron Del Mar Two Tei
    I just got the email, Sumner Meadows is closing 9/30. This is really too bad, one of the best bargains around, I took advantage of heavily discounted golf when I was younger, plus they have a friendly staff that runs the course I think as good as you could on that land. Anyways, go play it before it's gone!
    Posted:
    Ping Vault Anser 2
    I played Lake Spanaway this weekend. The conditions were good. The greens felt soft but they rolled true and above average speed (I don't try to guestimate the stimp). The rough was very light and the ball sat up nicely.
    Posted:
    PING VALOR CB 35"

Advertisement
    Harbour Pointe - 8/3/2013

The greens crew has been obviously watering the course and it's fairly lush. Greens are rolling well. Fluffy sand in the bunkers. No complaints here.

Druids Glen - 8/4/2013

I like the layout of this track, but the conditioning is not what it should be. Some of the tee boxes were littered with spent tees (obviously from before today). Getting roll on the fairways although there are rough spots in more than a few areas.

You could tell that the greens had some moisture in them, so although they are rolling true, they are a lot slower than they look.

We were part of a few groups that were stuck behind a foursome of walkers the entire round. I like to walk myself, but the distance between holes on the back nine make it slow to walk. I'd suggest that this course builds the price of carts into the green fees like some of the OKI courses do - it would speed up play and increase revenue.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.