2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Official Nike Covert 5 Wood Member Testing & Review Thread

It's been a key club for Tiger Woods in winning at Doral and Bay Hill. Now Rory McIlroy has put one a Nike Covert 5 Wood in the bag the week prior to the Masters.

We recently sent some Nike Covert 5 Woods out to GolfWRX members. They'll post their reviews and on-course feedback in this thread for the membership to see.

Headcovers are off and clubs are now in their hands. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

6356bc0c0857091d7cf739299f0e6f6f.JPG360dbf58df0bc98c24e4d42cb6fb6b86.JPGcceec9776a6724c7a5b240bc37d4b329.JPGaf2a001885e5d2ed8d4e569393dfe644.JPG18bb0985438d2939edf6212b9c5bb16d.JPG58df6a6d550d83aa7354c00efe57dba8.JPGe9cd9e8129a95928a90d71a701dcd4bb.JPG611de9e4030c07ecedcf4593eef02cc3.JPG6b310f04d68ea90d7d2d9c53d88972db.JPGfc8abe7d61ea891111a65dab33232b18.JPGb1279c73fb3084cbd61d93e54d7dc910.JPGb127ecc3a93bd3c108bba94c3924ef6f.JPG238f240e5d686ebceeafa2219221eb00.JPG

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to the reviews on these. I'm going to Golfsmith tonight to see how they perform compared to my current G20 driver and 3 wood.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365012977' post='6752307']
I'm looking forward to these reviews as well!
[/quote]
I just like bright colors! :D

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I was psyched to receive the Covert Tour 5W last night, and I'm really looking forward providing some in-depth feedback in the coming days! For now here are some quick photos after the unboxing. Sorry for the low-quality iPhone pics as I didn't have my DSLR at home last night. Initial impression is that it's a good-looking, well-crafted club.. at first I wasn't sure about the red paint but it's a deep, elegant if you will- looking shade of red that is growing on me a lot. I noticed the hosel area is quite fat, but at address the head looks great (the location of the swoosh at address is nicely done without being overstated). More pics and range and course time feedback to follow-- stay tuned :)

[attachment=1616443:covert_1.jpg]
[attachment=1616445:covert_2.jpg]
[attachment=1616447:covert_3.jpg]
[attachment=1616449:covert_4.jpg]
[attachment=1616451:covert_5.jpg]
[attachment=1616453:covert_6.jpg]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

**I'll be updating this post with my review after each session.**

photo33_zpsc7d74762.jpg

photo43_zps41be6a9e.jpg

^^^^ It's a very good looking club! I received mine the other day as well. So far I have hit about 30 balls on the range with it and spent quite a bit of time just messing around with the settings and seeing how it looks at address. Hoping to get a full review up by the end of the weekend or early next week. I will also be comparing directly with the Nike LTD 19* 5 wood and Nike SQ2 19* 5 wood as well.

Initial thoughts:

-Club came out right on spec: 42", D5 swingweight with the KK 70x.

-The face angle looks about 1* open in the STD setting, the left setting gets it to about square, the right setting looks very open (these are just eyeballing it).

-To my eye, the covert presents more loft at address than my LTD and SQ2, I will have to get them all measured soon to see for sure.

-Size is similar to the SQ2 and bigger than the LTD, face depth is more comparable to the LTD and shallower than the SQ2.

-Feel and sound are very muted just hitting a few range balls, much more so than the other two.

photo3_zps1f8b8336.jpg

4/4/13 UPDATE with some pics and comparisons:

Comparison pics with 19* Vr Pro LE and SQ2 19*:

photo12_zps7cd7f17e.jpg

photo5_zps6de55633.jpgphoto4_zps85ebb904.jpg

photo3_zps59a8b398.jpgphoto1_zps2831cfd7.jpg

Some address pictures in different settings:

19* LEFT:

photo22_zpsb9fc1fe1.jpg

19* NEUTRAL:

photo13_zps195e5175.jpg

19* RIGHT:

photo42_zps119cd443.jpg

4/5/13 Update:

Got some more range time with this club, hit about 30 balls the first time out with it and got about 40 in today.

My initial impressions when I hit the club the first time on the range were good but not excellent. I wasn't getting a consistent flight in terms of height but the ball flight seemed pretty strong. I was hitting it in 19* neutral at the time and it was a little higher on average than the LTD and SQ2 19* that I have. I say on average because the other two were very consistent in terms of height and shape while the Covert was a lot more inconsistent for height. The face is a touch shallower than the other two and it looked like it had more loft at address even though they all say 19* on the bottom. If I came in shallow and put a good move on it the results were similar to my other two 5 woods. If I missed steep even slightly the flight would be dramatically higher and less controllable. This is a problem because I hit my fairway woods with a descending angle of attack for some of the shots I like to hit. My overall impressions after the first session were that it was very solid, the sound and feel were very good if not muted but the consistency wasn't quite there.

Today (Friday) I took it out again but this time I adjusted it to the 18* RIGHT setting. This made a world of difference for me. The slightly reduced loft didn't alter my overall ball flight as much as it improved the consistency. The flight was about the same trajectory just seemed a little bit stronger but the shots that I kind of "got under" and shot up in the air were gone. I was getting a more forward ball flight that I like combined with very nice height. That is basically what I am looking for in a fairway wood for performance. The flight HAS to be forward because I've yet to come across a club with 18* of loft that doesn't go high.

As far as numbers go, I don't have any hard launch monitor numbers yet but that will come after I get on the course with it. Distance with this club is good, today I was hitting into a light to medium breeze coming into and from the left. As someone who predominantly plays a fade this this is not a good wind for me. I can loose the ball right very easily especially with the longer clubs but that wasn't an issue with this club. My swing speed with the driver mid season is 110-112, right now it is about 105-107. I carrying this club in the 235-245 range with the aforementioned wind which is very good for me. The LTD was about 5 yards shorter and the SQ2 was another 5 yards shorter than the LTD. Because the lofts and shafts are all fairly similar, I can only assume by the distance and the ball flight that this head is fairly low spinning.

My overall feeling after these two range sessions is that this club is going to be better than the two 5 woods I have already (LTD and SQ2). It is much more forgiving than the LTD and has a stronger flight when hit well than both of them. It also looks very good and sounds/feels great if you like a more muted club. I will be getting this club on the course this weekend to test it in real situations and get a sense of the turf interaction. If it performs on the course like it did on the range, I can't see how it won't beat out the LTD and SQ2. I already have a heavier shaft coming for it as I like to have a pattern of shaft weights in my bag. I'm really digging the Fujikura offerings right now so it will be either a tour issue Motore Speeder 8.2 or 8.1.

On a side note, I shafted up a Covert Tour driver with a Project X Black 6.5 and hit that as well this afternoon. If I were to describe the driver, it looks like a J33R 420 painted red and feels/sounds and performs like a superdeep just a lot more forgiving. Pretty cool combination and really excited to get both the driver and the 5 wood on the course this weekend.

4/7/13 - On Course Update:

Alright, got this 5 wood on the course today for the first time. I left it in the 18* RIGHT setting that I was having success with on the range. Off the tee, I struggled at first with finding the correct tee height. I teed it up like I would my SQ2 or the TEE products I have had in the past and that was too high. I caught a couple too high on the face but the results weren't as bad as I would have expected. Launch on those shots was too high but the spin wasn't out of control. I brought the tee height down to where I would have a 3 iron or driving iron like a Mizzy Hi Fli and the results were much better. I was catching it just above center and got that penetrating flight I wanted. Carry off the tee was in the 230-235 range but it was pretty windy and not much if any roll due to soft conditions. This was on holes that were the wind was in my face or across.

I only got to hit it a couple times off the ground which is pretty typical on the course I was playing. There is one par 5 that plays uphill the whole way and it is tough to get your drives to release so it is basically all carry for both shots and about 520. A good drive left me with about 240 to the middle uphill and I hit the 5 wood on a great trajectory and landed it just short of the green. I think on a warmer, less windy day this is the type of shot that I will be able to put on the green consistently.

Overall, I am really liking this club. I can say that it has beat out my LTD and SQ2 5 woods by a hair because it combines some of the best features of those two with the adjustability. Just to be sure, I still want to hit it up against the stage 2 tour and x hot pro woods before I settle on this one. Hopefully I will be able to get some numbers off the monitor here soon.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I got my Covert Tour 5 wood the other day as well. To say I'm excited to try it out is an understatement! My first two thoughts when I took it out of the box were "wow, that head is really small!" and "the red color is pretty nice looking!" I'll save the rest for my review...

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Thanks to Nike and GolfWRX for this testing contest. :smilie_nike:

I received my Nike box yesterday, opened it, took a quick look but have been so busy at work I've yet to take pictures. As Johnny T said, I as well, am impressed by the red. It's not over the top it just looks GOOD. Nike picked the right color of red.

More to come in my review.......but, I'm in the process of ditching hybrids as I just can't seem to consistently hit them strait. Hopefully this will be an addition to the bag for those tight par 4s.

More to come......

Thanks WRX and Nike for the opportunity to test and review this beast of a club.

Well, I knew people would take a pic of the box, so I didnt bother, instead I unwrapped it and headed to the course. It was 45* and windy, but this was like getting a new Vette and leaving it in the garage because it was raining out.

I did want to share some pics and some initial thoughts, even though it was cold out. I am planning to play this weekend and then next week we will be in the 70's for some real numbers off of this thing.

I am a member of 1757 Golf Club here in N VA near Dulles airport, probably the best practice facility in all of DC Metro and one of the tightest courses around with water on 14 holes. Attached to this great course is the Golf Tour Trailer, some great guys who are a green grass shop and do custom fittings via FlightScope and TrackMan monitors. I will be providing real numbers of this club via one or both of these monitors and video of this in action via V1 software if anyone would like as well.

About me before I start off. I am currently a ~9 GHIN hc, im down to an 8.8 from a 9.2 right now with my most recent round last week at HarborTown Dye tees where I shot an 83, 18 I posted a tripple...uugghhh. I just went through a 4 day bootcamp course with G-Money in Tampa about a month ago and started the season off to a great start! I have been fighting a loop and a long swing, we are talking John Daly, for a couple of years, well I got rid of the long swing but not the loop. During my bootcamp we did video analysis of my swing, and I swing just like Furyk! I have a natural motion of the club going straight back, I get the club set parallel at the top and then the right elbow drops in and the hips clear super fast and at impact my right hand is at my right pocket.

I am not longer fighting this as a swing flaw, I am "swinging my swing" and embracing what I do have. But this leaves me with an inside out club path where I play a draw ball even with stiff tipped shafts. Driver swing is around 105-110 and if I can slow down my overly aggressive down move then I can keep a pretty straight ball with maybe a 3-5 yard draw. If I get quick, the draw becomes more and more of an issue.

Now that I have went on about me long enough, on to this beast of a 5w! I was sent a right handed, tour head, X flex shaft 5w in a box addressed to me directly from Nike :pimp: I also just received my Covert Tour driver with an Oban Devotion 7 05 from the BST forum. I love the red color! I have been a club ho even before I ended up a member of WRX so I have done the white, black, grey, etc clubs. I have been a HUGE Adams fan and bagged TMag stuff too for woods and have always been drawn to Mizzy for irons. I have never had a Nike club in my bag, until the Covert.

With such an aggressive movement towards the ball, I am a super high spin player. When someone says something is low spin....I dont believe it until I hit it. Hell I can suck back an E7 golf ball with ease...lol Well IMO Nike seems to have gotten this right! The shaft feels great so far, tons of kick to it and the ball just flies!!

The looks of this thing, to be honest I was worried what this was going to look like and how big it was going to be before it got here. Specs on this show that it is 177cc in size. I cant play a large FW, the Adams Super LS and Adams 3t have been the largest FW's in my bag. I bagged the BTY's for a long time and love the small form factor. But this is face to rear very similar to my Super LS 3w with the deep face of a Cobra S9 Pro.

Sets up behind the ball very nice, and the deeper face builds some confidence on wanting to throw it up on a tee for those long par 3's or tight par 4's. This is very easy to get the ball off the turf, even at my 17* Right setting. At this setting I have a very very tight draw, I can hit it high or a stinger type shot that just runs forever when it hits the ground. I threw this ball onto a tee less than a fingers depth off of the grass and I watched the ball just rocket off the face of this thing. The feel, surprisingly is a very hot face but more of a muted dull thud out of it, kind of like when you cotton ball a driver head.

I tried to hit some shots, and sometimes it just happened on its own, off of the heal and toe of this club and I was surprised at how forgiving and straight the ball flight was! I will see how it is in warmer weather, but yesterday on the range, at 17* this thing was very close to my Tour Issue Super LS, definitely longer and straighter than my VST 17* hybrid.

Now for the geeks, the club came in at 42" and a D5 SW! Very nice IMO, not some 44.5" FW that SW's at D0. A tour spec club needs to have true specs of what it should be. At the Neutral face angle setting, it is Neutral to a hair open, Right is OPEN!! I play my Super LS at 1/2 open and it was open to start with so nicely done Nike!

All in all, a winner so far! I will play this for a few rounds in stock form, and then I will try to put in my normal shaft of a UST VTS 8x black tour into it and see how it plays. I will also post up numbers when it is warm on the monitor and more pics to come.

I did hop on the monitor for about 10-12 swings with it, after hitting ~175-200 balls on the range, and numbers were still very impressive! Club head speed, slowed down a bit:
club head speed - 92-94mph
Smash - 1.47-1.49
Spin - ~32-3300 RPM

Again this was at 45* inside a hitting bay with a the door rolled up to the outdoors. And this was on the FlightScope as the Trackman had a fitting going on.

On to some pics now :busted_cop:

Lets make this interactive as possible on here. If you want pics, comparisons, whatever it may be, I will try and give you my thoughts and views of this club.

New Mizzy SPR bag packed with clubs for testing :)
[attachment=1617329:IMG_1309a.jpg]

[attachment=1617333:IMG_1310a.jpg]

[attachment=1617337:IMG_1311a.jpg]

The Kage looks mean!
[attachment=1617341:IMG_1312a.jpg]

[attachment=1617347:IMG_1313a.jpg]

[attachment=1617355:IMG_1315a.jpg]

[attachment=1617363:IMG_1316a.jpg]

Covert vs the Super LS 3w
[attachment=1617365:IMG_1317a.jpg]

[attachment=1617367:IMG_1318a.jpg]

[attachment=1617369:IMG_1319a.jpg]

EDIT fixed smash factor numbers

Ping g430 LST Hulk Green
Ping g430 LST 3w ventus Red
TSR2 5w Kai'Li White

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR HB

Mizuno HMP 6-pw i110 Steelfiber

CBX 48
RTX6 54/59 DG
LAB MEZZ.1 Max Accra Shaft

Bridgestone Tour B XS

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365016116' post='6752743']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365013085' post='6752331']
[/quote]
[/quote]

These would go well with your shafts!
[/quote]
Green and black?

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365039658' post='6756329']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365016116' post='6752743']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365013085' post='6752331']
[/quote]
[/quote]

These would go well with your shafts!
[/quote]
Green and black?
[/quote]

Customize those shafts!!!

If 1757 is that tight, leave me off it! :)

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365039709' post='6756337']

[/quote]
No time this time. UST has set me up with something special or so I'm told.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365039842' post='6756359']

[/quote]
[/quote][quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365039842' post='6756359']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Not green and black man....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365039947' post='6756373']
[/quote]
I won't know until I get there to see what the mad scientist has cooked up to go in my new driver, woods and hybrids.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365040131' post='6756409']
[/quote]
I won't know until I get there to see what the mad scientist has cooked up to go in my new driver, woods and hybrids.
[/quote]

Lol, gotcha! I cannot wait to see them!!

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365040212' post='6756425']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Me either. All I do know is it will be tour issue and TourSpx.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1365040289' post='6756439']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1365040212' post='6756425']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Me either. All I do know is it will be tour issue and TourSpx.
[/quote]

As long as they take 10 strokes or more off your index you will be set!!!!

We totally jacked this thread! Lol

[quote name='VA_Astra' timestamp='1365039208' post='6756245']

I did hop on the monitor for about 10-12 swings with it, after hitting ~175-200 balls on the range, and numbers were still very impressive! Club head speed, slowed down a bit:
Smash - 1.47-1.49
Spin - ~32-3300 RPM

[/quote]

What was your launch angle and what kind of carry were you getting with those numbers? The smash is pretty impressive, you would never know the club was that hot because it feels and sounds so muted.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1365046777' post='6757263']
[quote name='VA_Astra' timestamp='1365039208' post='6756245']
Smash - 1.47-1.49
Spin - ~32-3300 RPM

[/quote]

What was your launch angle and what kind of carry were you getting with those numbers? The smash is pretty impressive, you would never know the club was that hot because it feels and sounds so muted.
[/quote]

Due to wind conditions, we couldnt get realistic launch angles. I will post up soon though.

Ping g430 LST Hulk Green
Ping g430 LST 3w ventus Red
TSR2 5w Kai'Li White

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR HB

Mizuno HMP 6-pw i110 Steelfiber

CBX 48
RTX6 54/59 DG
LAB MEZZ.1 Max Accra Shaft

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Firstly, Thanks to Nike and to Golfwrx for the awesome opportunity. I have been lurking this website for years, and frankly I blame this d@#$ website for my lackluster collegiate career. While sitting with papers scattered, books askew and homework mounting I opted to read the reviews of the Titleist 905R and where to play golf when I visit my mom in Naples. This website has blossomed into a unique experience for any golf addict to spend countless hours wasting away. I wholeheartedly thank the staff here and Nike for sending the club to me and allowing me to heap relentless praise on it. Yup you read that right, I said "relentless praise," but first let me dispense with some context so you know what and where I am coming from.

Bio/Background/stats
I currently have a vacancy in the driver slot of the bag, but I am testing out a 2012 VR-S with an Oban Devotion 6 (Driver SS 92-97mph). I picked it up well before I found out about the 5 wood coming my way. It's not going to stick so stay posted and be alert on the BST forums for this little nugget. I currently have a Titleist 906F2 with an Aldila NV 75S which has been in my bag since they hit the shelves. I have had a more loving relationship with this sweetheart than I have had with my wife of 6 years. I haven't felt compelled to leave the 906F2 for any of the new stuff yet and every year I take it out and test it against the new stuff and frankly, I just haven't seen something that I am prepared to spend the money on to supplant what I have. I love the classic shape of the 906 and the performance and feel is still on par with some of the new stuff I have hit. I also have a 21* 910H in the bag that gets a ton of play off the tee and from the fairway/rough. I went to the hybrid years ago when I picked up a 585 when they came out and I have been a devout and religious follower of the club since.

"Gameday"

Opening day of the baseball season is arguably one of my favorite days of the year. I have been a HUGE baseball fan from early childhood, thus my affinity for opening day. This year is/was no different, except this year one of my teams is being touted as the odds on favorite to win it all. I grew up in Saint Paul, MN and opening day as a child meant the dreary Metrodome when snow was probably still on the ground, thus Golf usually had to wait a couple of weeks until it was added to the mix. I moved to the Washington DC area about 3 1/2 years and I have added a new love to my life. I was tormented for the first couple of years with an atrocious product, but Mike Rizzo and company have built a winner in DC, much like Tom Stites and crew have built a red powerhouse with the new Covert fairway wood.
[attachment=1617883:openingdayseat.jpg]
I was jacked for opening day with 6th row seats, free beer and free food all game, but unbeknownst to me, my day would only get better. After my wife so kindly picked me up from the metro due to the "celebration" and imbibing of adult beverages I got home and found note from the fedex guy. I raced to the association office and made it in with about a minute to spare before they closed and found my new weapon. I tore open the box like a kid on Christmas and played around with it. Ever since Tiger put this in the bag, the new covert fairway wood has been getting a lot of press and I have never really been taken by any of the Nike clubs in the past, save the Method 001 which I still have in the bag.
[attachment=1617867:nalahcovert.jpg]
My wife already thinks I am crazy for spending so much time on this website and with golf in general, but the puppy was even taken by the looks of this new fairway wood.

Looks:
[attachment=1617911:IMG_2747.JPG]
I never fell in line with others when it came to the "white" driver. I wouldn't go as far to call it "gimmicky" but I just prefer a more traditional look. That being said, the red hue that Nike chose to use in the new line is striking. It isn't obnoxiously red in my opinion. I know that this website has it's Nike detractors and I have jumped on that wagon from time to time, but this club is really sexy. I went with the Tour Model because I was intrigued by the adjustable head. The black face of the club is good looking when coupled with the red head of the club. When I saw the club in print ads and commercials I had convinced myself, prematurely I may add, that I wanted nothing to do with it. All that being said again, when I started to play around with the settings and looking down at the club at the address position I soon began to come around to my new sweetheart much like I did, in my single days of course, to the women in the bar after a few adult beverages. The club is really good looking and the white swoosh isn't detracting and it's hardly noticeable at address. If you look closely at the headcover it has the stealthy black and gray digital patterning that a navy zodiac used by special forces would use. I thought it was a nice little touch to the "covert" line. Having served 4 years in the Marine Corps I tend to appreciate camouflage more than the average guy. The headcover is sturdy, subdued from a distance and a cool look up close when sticking out of the bag. All in all "looks" wise I was impressed with the new club. I think the same people that poo poo Nike products on this website will probably continue to do so, but I will interject that they can bemoan the fact that Nike strayed from the "traditional" look that Titleist may continue to pursue but don't knock the performance if you haven't tried it.

Performance:
I raced out to the range yesterday despite the 20 mph winds in the DC/Northern VA area. I ventured out to Forest Greens Golf club, which resides in the shadows of Marine Corps Base Quantico. With the sound of Freedom ringing in the distance (artillery) I smiled despite the whipping winds. I got a couple of big buckets and started testing it out. I have always loved the soft buttery feel of Titleist woods. I never felt like I got that with some of the Nike products that i used in the past. I brought my 906, my old 19* 585, my newer 21 910H and my 2012 VRS with an Oban Devotion. This club feels amazing at impact! When you square it up and connect with the Hard as a rock range balls, it still feels great. I was uber impressed with the sensation you get when you hit it in the sweet spot. Even better, I was taken back by off center hits on the toe and heel. The ball still gets out there and minimal distance loss seems to come into play. I would take a couple of swipes with my 906 and then mix in a few with the Covert and I continually asked myself, "is this the day when I finally relegate the 906 to my backup/travel bag that I am assembling to keep in Naples at my moms place?" I felt as though the ball was blasting off the club face when I squared it up. Obviously impressed, the guy next to me on the range took notice of me while I was hammering power fade after power fade into the strong left to right winds. I took the spot all they to the left and used the tree line as my fairway. Tiko (the name which was provided to me from the aforementioned onlooker) asked about the club and admired from a little too close at times. I began to tinker with the settings and after thoroughly too much fun, I got greedy and set it to 17* with an open face and tried it out. The wind really made it difficult to get an accurate idea as to what your actual ball flight would be, but the great feeling remained on the club face and I was in love. My only negative feedback would be that the stock shaft seems a little light, even for my swing speed. I am not the shaft guru or whore that many are on this website. I am not pretentious in the fact that I don't spend a lot of money on the fancy upgrades. I often wish I had the disposable income to try them out, but a watchful wife and her graduate school loans from George Washington help keep my inner demons at bay. Again, the wind made it tough, but I am heading out to the course today so perhaps I can offer up a little more commentary on the shaft later. Because you can go all the way down to 17* I think the Kurokage 70 is a decent choice, but I just wish it was a little heavier when I had it set at 19* that way I could keep the flight of my ball down just a touch. Hitting this club off the deck is easy from all of the settings. The ball gets into the air with ease and it will climb, draw, fade or move in the direction you want. I am leaning toward setting it at 19* with an open face and using this baby off the tee on most shorter holes. It feels like a rocket off the tee and I came away immensely impressed with the feeling of the face of the club. I hate to sound like a Nike Whore here, but if you haven't tried this club you really need to put the coffee down early some morning and head out to the golf shop. Side bar to the Nike haters: you won't be burned at the stake if you "try" it and you certainly won't end up in some sort of country club purgatory if you show up with something other than the good ole boy brand. Again, I don't have a nike club, other than my method, in the bag but I really can't find a suitable reason to keep this thing out of my bag. I mean let's be honest here, Tiger woods found it suitable to add a 5 wood to his bag and my game and bank account could take a lot of lessons from Eldrick. If anyone has any ideas as to which shaft to try and put it I am all ears.

I am heading out to the course today so I will add some more nuggets with some brevity in the future but please feel free to hit me up with some advice and/or questions. I have more pictures to add but they aren't loading up at the moment. Also, please feel free to ignore any spelling or grammar issues as I am having my morning coffee and shaking the cobwebs off after a guys night out on the town with some old friends.