High Speed DIGITAL Camera

I have the Casio FH 25 and it does a great job and doesn't blur the club.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6Xย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7Xย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////ย  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60Tย / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

ย 

[quote name='Millionairemind' timestamp='1365899220' post='6835227']
Are there any digital cameras that take GOOD high speed video that doesnt blur the clubface? I know some old casios do but they are difficult to find.
[/quote]

Most good camera information I collect and place it in the Casio thread
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/250245-casio-camera-thread/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/250245-casio-camera-thread/[/url]

Look there.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

I replied to your PM. The Canon Elph 110 HS does a good job, especially on sunny days. You can find them for under $140 pretty easily, I paid $130. They are ultra small, have a great LCD, and can do 120 and 240 fps. The only down side to this camera is that you cannot manually set the shutter speed, which is capable of 1/2000 sec with good lighting, so on overcast and cloudy days sometimes you get a slower shutter and the shaft can be blurry with FO shots. DTL are almost always good even with slower shutter speeds on cloudy days. If it is sunny, it performs nearly as well as a Casio, not quite but close enough that you can see really really good.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9 ย 52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• 1 month later...

I've been researching this... just wanted to mention there are a lot more options out there right now that match Canons high speed recording, including NIkon and Olympus cameras. I havent dove all the way into it yet, but I presume (well, I am hoping) that on some of these you can alter exposure while recording high speed.

[size=4]Also, it seems a lot of people are concerned about a magic '200 fps' number, but Olympus is coming out with a P&S that will record 720p video at 120fps. MSRP is going to be 300 bucks. Sounds pretty good to me.[/size]

[url="http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/compact/sh-50-ihs.html"]http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/compact/sh-50-ihs.html[/url]

That Olympus looks like it may have promise, but it looks like it will only do 1/2000 sec shutter. 120 fps at 720p would be awesome, but if the shutter isn't fast enough and if it is not manually adjustable, you may still get shaft blur. I ended up buying a Casio FH25. The Canon was okay, but I wanted something better and ended up biting the bullet and getting the Casio. I love it. Better quality.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

120 fps is nowhere near high enough for the clubface to not be blurred through the hitting area. It would likely be fine to the top of the backswing but once the transition begins and the club head picks up speed it will blur significantly.

Unfortunately the only types of cameras that offer both HD and sufficient speed are quite expensive. [url="http://www.visionresearch.com/"]http://www.visionresearch.com/[/url]

This was shot at 120fps and 1/20000 sec shutter. The sun was not that bright, but when the sun is bright and I can crank it up to 1/40,000 sec shutter the shaft doesn't blur at all. You really can't see that much blur here IMO.

[media=]http://youtu.be/W4oHd1L_e58[/media]

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1369009948' post='7065856']
This was shot at 120fps and 1/20000 sec shutter. The sun was not that bright, but when the sun is bright and I can crank it up to 1/40,000 sec shutter the shaft doesn't blur at all. You really can't see that much blur here IMO.

[/quote]

You can't see the club face at all through the hitting area.

120 fps is simply far too slow for golf. You would have to view it frame by frame to see anything significant and then you're not able to see the dynamic moving parts defeating the purpose of slow motion all together.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Whats the deal with the manual shutter setting? I have read that in other threads. I am an amateur photog I guess you could say (In other words, I have a pretty nice DSLR set up), but I cant seem to wrap my head around if the video is 120fps (or 240fps, etc) what the shutter speed matters when recording video.

I used to watch myself via a VHS camcorder slowed down frame by frame with my Mitsubishi VCR. I cant imagine it was more than, jeez, 15 frames for the entire swing. I am sure 120fps will be fine for me, I am not trying to analyze minute changes in my face direction at impact.

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369011026' post='7065976']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1369009948' post='7065856']

[/quote]

You can't see the club face at all through the hitting area.

120 fps is simply far too slow for golf. You would have to view it frame by frame to see anything significant and then you're not able to see the dynamic moving parts defeating the purpose of slow motion all together.
[/quote]

Just like a pro

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369008743' post='7065728']
120 fps is nowhere near high enough for the clubface to not be blurred through the hitting area. It would likely be fine to the top of the backswing but once the transition begins and the club head picks up speed it will blur significantly.

Unfortunately the only types of cameras that offer both HD and sufficient speed are quite expensive. [url="http://www.visionresearch.com/"]http://www.visionresearch.com/[/url]
[/quote]
Shutter speed determines blur not the number of frames per second. I have plenty of video ive shot at 30fps but at 1/40,000 shutter speed that has no blur at all. FPS determines how much of the motion is captured, ie the distance the club head travels before each subsequent frame. 120fps is plenty for golf and I use it/have used it almost daily for years. I shoot at 210fps on FH20 and 120fps when using FH25

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1369011356' post='7066020']
[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369008743' post='7065728']

[/quote]
Shutter speed determines blur not the number of frames per second. I have plenty of video ive shot at 30fps but at 1/40,000 shutter speed that has no blur at all. FPS determines how much of the motion is captured, ie the distance the club head travels before each subsequent frame. 120fps is plenty for golf and I use it/have used it almost daily for years. I shoot at 210fps on FH20 and 120fps when using FH25
[/quote]

I assumed the OP was looking for a HD high speed camera from the "[color=#282828]digital cameras that take GOOD high speed video" comment.[/color]

[color=#282828]There are a number of cameras that shoot high speed footage at grainy resolutions.[/color]

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369011028' post='7065978']
[size=4]I used to watch myself via a VHS camcorder slowed down frame by frame with my Mitsubishi VCR. I cant imagine it was more than, jeez, 15 frames for the entire swing. I am sure 120fps will be fine for me, I am not trying to analyze minute changes in my face direction at impact.[/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1369011356' post='7066020']
[/quote]

A video that explains the above phenomenon: [url="http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/56/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-straight"]vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/56/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-straight[/url]

^ It wouldnt hyperlink correctly, just copy and put it into your browser, it should take care of the rest.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1369012485' post='7066118']
The Casio will shoot 120 fps at very good quality. You talk like an authority yet don't know that FPS and blur have zero to do with each other
[/quote]

Neither of those Casio cameras you listed can shoot high speed footage at anything above 480p.

I'm not sure what "talking like an authority" has to do with stating technical facts.

Maybe you just enjoy grainy SD footage?

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369011485' post='7066026']
[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369011245' post='7066000']
[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369011083' post='7065990']
Just like a pro
[/quote]

Just like a pro?

Are you talking about his swing or the camera?
[/quote]

His swing looks like a pro
[/quote]

CP, I understand they have a sale this week at Lens Crafters. You may want to take advantage of it.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369012332' post='7066110']
I assumed the OP was looking for a HD high speed camera from the "[color=#282828]digital cameras that take GOOD high speed video" comment.[/color]

[color=#282828]There are a number of cameras that shoot high speed footage at grainy resolutions.[/color]
[/quote]

His point is the fps isnt the determining factor, it is the shutter speed. You are posting misinformation.

iteachgolf, its funny, I have been reading threads on this all evening, but until you posted it, I havent really seen anyone discuss why the shutter speed is important, and if they do, they just drop it in the conversation and dont expound. Whenever anyone recommends the Casio, it is almost always 'because its 210fps at X resolution'. I'm glad you chimed in... thanks.

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369012732' post='7066148']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1369012485' post='7066118']
The Casio will shoot 120 fps at very good quality. You talk like an authority yet don't know that FPS and blur have zero to do with each other
[/quote]

Neither of those Casio cameras you listed can shoot high speed footage at anything above 480p.

I'm not sure what "talking like an authority" has to do with stating technical facts.

Maybe you just enjoy grainy SD footage?
[/quote]

I am not an authority on cameras by any means, but I can see the clubface at 120fps all day long on my computer and my casio. Maybe youtube does not do it justice, but at 120fps and a shutter above 1/12,000 I can see everything just fine, and at 1/40,000 I can see the dirt in the groves if I wanted to zoom in.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[url="http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/jvc-procision-camera/"]http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/jvc-procision-camera/[/url]

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17ยฐ / 910h 24ยฐ & 27ยฐ
Titleist 913Hd 20ยฐ
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56ยฐ
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369012948' post='7066170']
[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369012332' post='7066110']

[/quote]

His point is the fps isnt the determining factor, it is the shutter speed. You are posting misinformation.

iteachgolf, its funny, I have been reading threads on this all evening, but until you posted it, I havent really seen anyone discuss why the shutter speed is important, and if they do, they just drop it in the conversation and dont expound. Whenever anyone recommends the Casio, it is almost always 'because its 210fps at X resolution'. I'm glad you chimed in... thanks.
[/quote]

Shutter speed is absolutely imperative. You can shoot video at 400fps but if your shutter speed is 1/400 sec then you are going to get a blurry shaft, guaranteed. Many of these cameras that will do 120 and 240 fps do not have manually adjustable shutter speeds and have an automatically selected shutter speed depending on the light available. Even though they select 1/2000 sec, though, that shutter speed is still not quite fast enough to see the clubface well. I have a Canon that will do 240 fps and when the shutter is at 1/2000, I can still have trouble. Yet, with my Casio I can select 60 fps and a shutter of 1/40,000 and can see the shaft just fine.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV