G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

A little background... I'm an assistant professional and golf shop owner. Been playing for about 12 years and play less now than I ever have. My handicap is fluctuating between +3.5 to +4.5 and I've been playing well lately. Other current iron sets that I own and love are the 2012 Anser's and Titleist 712 AP2's. Those two sets are the most perfect sets of irons that I have ever found for my game and God knows I have tried them all. I had a stint with the G20's last year and loved those, but eventually the fat soles and sub par turf interaction (for me) forced me to let them go. On to the good stuff...

I ordered myself a set of 3-W G25 with KBS Tour X flex at standard length and lie. They arrived a couple days ago and I have got the chance to play two nine hole rounds so far with them. Our course isn't hard (71 course rating, par 71, 6600 yards), but there is alot of trouble off the tee. The only time I have hit a bad shot with these was in a tight layup on the 3rd hole I played with them. I was expecting the offset to cause me to hook a 6 iron and I left it out to the right. Other than that shot these irons have been absolutely superb. Almost every shot is high, but not ballooning and dead straight with minimal curvature. They hold their line better than any iron i have ever hit. The crazy thing is I find its also easier to work these irons. Since they want to go straight a hard draw or a hard cut swing produces soft movement in either direction and on command. Its super hard to overcook the ball in either direction with these. The turf interaction on the 25's is much improved over the G20's and the short irons are very i5-ish. These don't seem to ever bounce off the turf like the G20's did. I honestly can't say enough about the versatility of these irons. The 3 iron is way better than any hybrid I have ever tried. It's like the G20's and the I20's had an attractive, talented, and intelligent baby. In the 18 holes that I have played with these I have hit 14 greens not missing any by more than 5 yards and made 9 birdies with a ridiculous (for me) proximity to the hole.

Bottom line... Do yourselves a favor--- suck it up and go try these on a golf course. The offset WILL NOT make the ball go left and the new darker finish hides it better than you would think. I honestly think that 95% or better of the golfing population would drastically improve their scores if they made the switch. Simply amazing golf clubs and a shining example of modern golf technology. My Ansers are a whole lot sexier, but you can't argue with better scores.

• Like 1

I am around an 8 HC and I couldn't agree more with this review. These things do indeed hit the ball incredibly straight and are everything I could want in an iron. Could be the last set of irons I ever buy.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

You've been playing 12 years and your a + 4.5 capper? And you're not playing much? Impressive.

The problem I had when testing these clubs is that I had to use too stiff of a shaft to get the flight down to a reasonable trajectory. I'm a 4 capper and like KBS Tour Stiff, or DGS300. Straight UP. To get the flight down I needed to get into X100 and that's not my thing.

They felt fine, went straight, and weren't too hard to look at - but in their own ad campaign PING states that the G25 helps the player get the ball up off the ground. I don't need this. My own swing flaws does this on it's own :)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Excellent review and commentary. I am very happy with my current clubs, but am certain I'll be demoing G25's at some point.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1366764229' post='6904157']
You've been playing 12 years and your a + 4.5 capper? And you're not playing much? Impressive.

The problem I had when testing these clubs is that I had to use too stiff of a shaft to get the flight down to a reasonable trajectory. I'm a 4 capper and like KBS Tour Stiff, or DGS300. Straight UP. To get the flight down I needed to get into X100 and that's not my thing.

They felt fine, went straight, and weren't too hard to look at - but in their own ad campaign they state that the G25 helps the player get the ball up off the ground. I don't need this.
[/quote]
They do launch high and that's the reason I said 95% of the golfing public would benefit. Obviously, a higher proportion of WRX'ers have issues with launching too high than the general golfing public. I would assume very players in the grand scheme will ever launch an iron too high. Tour players hit the ball into the stratosphere with their irons compared to normal players. I really enjoy the easy height that these irons provide, but I have always struggled to hit the ball super high with my irons. It would be cool if someone made an iron as easy to hit as the G25 that had a mid launch to accommodate you high ball hitters. One thing I would suggest you try if you wanted to give them another chance is the KBS Tour X... They feel super smooth but bring the launch down nicely over the KBS Stiff.

[quote name='Night train' timestamp='1366764270' post='6904165']
Nice review.........went from blades to G15's two years ago and can't believe how much fun they make the game.
[/quote]
Man, I love me some blades, but I have reached the point now that I just don't see the point. They aren't even that prevalent on the tour anymore and if those guys can't hit them the way they want I don't have a chance playing a couple rounds a week.

Something I left out... I think the G25 series as a whole is the finest lineup of clubs that anyone has ever released. I have sold upwards of 20 sets of the irons and about the same in drivers, fairways, and hybrids. Literally all I have to do is let them take them out for demo and its over. They sell themselves.

Instant Offense,

I've been waiting to hear what you thought about your new G25 irons. As you know I'm patiently waiting for mine as we speak; they are supposed to ship May 2! So, I really enjoyed reading your review. Gives me something to focus on while I wait!

It's really refreshing to hear from established golfers like you and Mile High and the others that have posted on this thread & on my "trading S56 irons for G25 irons" thread that have reported gaming improvement & more golfing enjoyment!

Thanks again for the nice in depth review. BTW, how long did it take to receive your irons from ordering date?

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

[quote name='TNTlefty' timestamp='1366765461' post='6904331']
IO - why KBS Tour not CFS X or DG? Cushin inserts???
did you change the SW to match to ap2s or ansers or did you go stock D0?

With the discounts on G15&20 (having hit or owned both) are the 25s worth the extra coin?
[/quote]
Swingweight is D2... My normal shaft of choice is DGS400 or X100, but I am really starting to enjoy the feel of the KBS. They are much smoother feeling while maintaining plenty of stability and stiffness. I think the G25's are much better than any G series iron to date. It's a reasonably priced product so I wouldn't definitely go for it if your budget will allow it.

I've fiddled around with the G25's in stores and they simply look amazing, and are really a far cry from the G20's. Less offset and smaller sole. They are a descendant of the I5's, for sure.

I think Ping has a surefire classic here

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Interesting.....I went from a 2 to a +2 all while playing G-series irons (G5) a few years back, ever since my handicap has risen back to 0 since I stopped playing G-irons.....

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5 (16.5) +1/2”

Ping G425 Max 7

Ping G430 #4h

Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50f, 56d, 60d

TM Spider 3x

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1366765762' post='6904375']
I've fiddled around with the G25's in stores and they simply look amazing, and are really a far cry from the G20's. Less offset and smaller sole. They are a descendant of the I5's, for sure.

[/quote]
Very well said... Marty Jertsen says they are the every mans iron.

[quote name='HiSpeed48' timestamp='1366765801' post='6904383']
Great review!

Have you ever played with the Ping i5's? If so, any thoughts and how these compare? Thanks
[/quote]
I payed the i5's when they came out for a few rounds, but honestly I sucked so bad back then that I didn't know what a good club was. I know the short irons look very similar. I love the way these things feel, so much better than other GI irons in the marketplace.

Great review.

I hit the g25's at a demo day. The Ping rep fit me for + 1/4" over standard, blue dot with DG XP s300. Can anyone tell me about the shaft? I will likely pull the trigger at this weekends demo day. Great experience with the Ping rep.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1366768585' post='6904769']
Great review.

I hit the g25's at a demo day. The Ping rep fit me for + 1/4" over standard, blue dot with DG XP s300. Can anyone tell me about the shaft? I will likely pull the trigger at this weekends demo day. Great experience with the Ping rep.
[/quote]
It feels just like an S300, but provides more spin and a higher apex than the standard S300. I think everything else is the same between the two.

I've seen the G25's up close and they look so much better than the 20's. I went from blades to Ansers and have been playing the best golf in years. The Ansers are so forgiving and they don't move the ball much. I've hit so many shots that would've been pull hooks that miss the green but with the Ansers they're just pulls to the left side of the green. Based on your review, I'm going to give the 25's a go. They set up beautifully imo.

Ping G425 Max 9 Ventus TR Red 5S

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366765853' post='6904389']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1366765762' post='6904375']

[/quote]
Very well said... Marty Jertsen says they are the every mans iron.
[/quote]

I recently made the switch from the i20's to the G25's and couldn't be happier. I LOVED my stint with the i20's, but the G25's feel incredible and do everything I want them to do. I'm not an exceptional ball striker (I'm about a 6-7 hdcp), so these help me out incredibly. Like you said, the ease to move them is more so than I think most people give them credit for. I'm not looking to be the next Bubba and bend it 40 yards. I want to move it slightly left or slightly right and these clubs allow me to do that ... and most importantly, without the fear of overcooking it.

Great review. Enjoyed the read.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

Do you guys see a little increase in distance with these? Maybe a little over the i20's or any other standard players cavity iron?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1366770649' post='6905057']
Do you guys see a little increase in distance with these? Maybe a little over the i20's or any other standard players cavity iron?
[/quote]
Mine are 1* weak, so they play off 46* W. They seem to be about 8 yards longer throughout the set than my Ansers which are 47* wedge.

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1366770649' post='6905057']
[/quote]

I don't notice any extra distance other than what comes from the stronger lofts.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Thinking about going from TM MC's to the G25's. I was fitted for the G15's a few years ago and didn't stick with them for some stupid reason. I don't play as much now and need some more help in the iron game.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Have you hit the TM Rocket Bladez GI irons? I am looking for a reason to get back over to Ping. I have had a long stint of blades, backing up to Titleist 712 AP2's, and recently I had the Rocket Bladez basically land in my lap so I am playing them. I would love to know about distance control with the G25s. The rocket bladez tend to take off occasionally. I bounce between a +3 and a 3 depending on the season. I just don't see the purpose of blades anymore to be honest. Anything I am overlooking?

Low cap g25 player here. I hit a low ball anyway and these irons are amazing. Got them with the pxi which is a big up charge but worth it

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond