2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

OFFICIAL GolfWeek/Golf Channel Am Tour Thread

CassinoNorth

There's beeen a few topics on this, but mostly in the regional areas. This should make for a good thread for all players to discuss which tourneys everyone is playing in and partner match if possible would be fun. Post your schedule, stories, how your tournaments went etc.

I played in the Golfweek Am Tour 2 summers ago but their schedule is almost all Long Island now so I'm ditching them. I'm playing the Golf Channel Am Tour this summer using the NYC/Hudson Valley, NJ, and Philly tours to make a decent schedule.

So far I'll be playing in:

Concord Classic May 21 (Philly)

Sea Oaks Annual Open June 2 (NJ)

Allentown Open July 13 (Philly)

Pine Barrens Bridgestone Challenge August 5 (NJ)

NJ Tour Championship August 17 (NJ)

Tour Championship at River Vale August 26 (NYC/Hudson Valley)

Good luck this year everyone.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1367186635' post='6933405']
I've thought about playing in a couple of these that are in my area but I can't figure out what it costs. Do you guys know the yearly membership fee and average entry fee?
[/quote]

If you're looking to test one out, most directors won't make you spring the $200 for a yearly membership right away. Tournaments vary tour to tour...but the ones I was looking at are $125-$180 which a portion goes to the prize pool which you can easily make that back when you win. There are also 2 day+ majors which run $250+.

[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1367187026' post='6933435']
I've thought about playing in a couple of these that are in my area but I can't figure out what it costs. Do you guys know the yearly membership fee and average entry fee?
[/quote]

If you're looking to test one out, most directors won't make you spring the $200 for a yearly membership right away. Tournaments vary tour to tour...but the ones I was looking at are $125-$180 which a portion goes to the prize pool which you can easily make that back when you win. There are also 2 day+ majors which run $250+.
[/quote]

What are the prizes?

[quote name='tsmithers' timestamp='1367190406' post='6933693']
[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1367187026' post='6933435']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What are the prizes?
[/quote]

Visa gift cards (cash)

I play a little in the Columbus, Oh Golfweek Am Tour. Played my first event at Jefferson CC on 4/13.

Rough weather, rough day, didn't hit the ball very well. Shot 86 which was good for a T-10 in the A flight. I did take home some cash in the side games though so not all was lost.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I have always thought about doing this, as I would love to play competitive golf. How good do you have to be? I typically shoot between 85-90. But I am actually playing a little more and am confident that I will break 80 this year. I have cleaned some things up with my swing that have helped. But I haven't entered any because I have no desire to pay a lot of $$$$ and come in dead last.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1367247458' post='6936993']
I have always thought about doing this, as I would love to play competitive golf. How good do you have to be? I typically shoot between 85-90. But I am actually playing a little more and am confident that I will break 80 this year. I have cleaned some things up with my swing that have helped. But I haven't entered any because I have no desire to pay a lot of $$$$ and come in dead last.
[/quote]

There are different flights according to handicap. Lots of info on their site. [url="http://www.gcamtour.com/"]http://www.gcamtour.com/[/url]

[/quote]

It depends in the tour. The GolfWeek tour has 5 flights (Champ, A, B, C, D). In D flight you have guys shooting in the mid 90's up into to 100's.

The tour is definitely a good way to challenge your game on a different level. I had not played competitively in years and forgot what it was like. The stress it puts on your game mentally can not be replicated outside of the tournaments. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

[/quote]

You're definitely good enough to play on these tours. With that handicap you'd probably be in the C on Golfweek. If you sign up, email your tour director and he'll get you set up in the right flight. Once you play 5 tournaments you get an official GW handicap (or if you go GC, you get an official USGA handicap which is obviously nice to have)

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed up for the GC Am Tour and registered for the Concord Classic in 2 weeks. Not too nervous yet, but on the 20th I'm not sure how well I'm gonna sleep. I believe I'm gonna be slotted into the Hogan flight (8.0 - 11.9). Pretty excited to get my 2nd round of tournament golf ever in. The first one was nothing short of a disaster. I'm definitely going in with a much better mentality this time around.

[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1368098285' post='6997812']
Just signed up for the GC Am Tour and registered for the Concord Classic in 2 weeks. Not too nervous yet, but on the 20th I'm not sure how well I'm gonna sleep. I believe I'm gonna be slotted into the Hogan flight (8.0 - 11.9). Pretty excited to get my 2nd round of tournament golf ever in. The first one was nothing short of a disaster. I'm definitely going in with a much better mentality this time around.
[/quote]

The nerves will be there but everyone else is nervous too. Especially when they announce you at the first tee. I've been playing in the GC AM Tour for almost 2 years now and having a blast. Once you play 5 tournament rounds your Tour Index will be established.

You've still got time to qualify for Nationals this year at PGA West. I went to Sawgrass last year and it was awesome. Good luck in your first event!

I just joined the NY Metro golfweek am tour thing. Haven't played in a stroke play tournament in quite a long time (probably around 6 years now). Should be interesting to see how it goes. I hope the first hole in my first event is nice and WIDE open.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1368108042' post='6998568']
I just joined the NY Metro golfweek am tour thing. Haven't played in a stroke play tournament in quite a long time (probably around 6 years now). Should be interesting to see how it goes. I hope the first hole in my first event is nice and WIDE open.
[/quote]

And with no bunkers or water hazards or OB fences haha. You and me both.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[/quote]

I enjoyed my time on the GW am tour, their schedule just faded way too much into LI to justify paying the $100 though. Also the fact there aren't any midweek tourneys kinda blows...I can't get off every Saturday to play golf.

[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1368112390' post='6999100']
[/quote]

I enjoyed my time on the GW am tour, their schedule just faded way too much into LI to justify paying the $100 though. Also the fact there aren't any midweek tourneys kinda blows...I can't get off every Saturday to play golf.
[/quote]

Interesting. The main thing I like about this one is their tournaments are on Saturdays. All the Met stuff is weekday and I can't get the time off work to play in them.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1368112518' post='6999120']Interesting. The main thing I like about this one is their tournaments are on Saturdays. All the Met stuff is weekday and I can't get the time off work to play in them.
[/quote]

I work retail so I'm required to work weekends and kinda get groaned at if I take a Saturday completely off, which these tournaments almost always require. I wish they'd start at 8 am so I could be back by 2 or 3 but it seems like it's always an all day affair. 1-2 hour drive to the course about an hour before the first tee times to get warmed up and checked in, 5 hour round, 1-2 hours back. That's 8-10 hours that I can't really fit into many Saturdays.

Speaking of nice and open...unless I duck hook my hybrid on the first tee at [url=http://www.concordclub.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=306150&ssid=193511&vnf=1]Concord[/url] it looks like a nice easy first hole. Phew.

Good luck to you, Cassino. I'm thinking about just playing a one-off at Union Vale on the NYC/Hudson Valley tour later in July. I am looking at the scores and handicaps from this weekend's Seaview Masters, and I can't believe some of the numbers put up. 2.2 index shoots 91-91? 5.0 index shoots 118-118? 1.7 index 93-WD? Are there that many vanity caps that play these events? Or am I missing something? No snark intended.

[quote name='dangerman77' timestamp='1368998803' post='7064914']
Good luck to you, Cassino. I'm thinking about just playing a one-off at Union Vale on the NYC/Hudson Valley tour later in July. I am looking at the scores and handicaps from this weekend's Seaview Masters, and I can't believe some of the numbers put up. 2.2 index shoots 91-91? 5.0 index shoots 118-118? 1.7 index 93-WD? Are there that many vanity caps that play these events? Or am I missing something? No snark intended.
[/quote]
I'm friends with the guy that withdrew...his index is all tournament play (he doesn't post social rounds), so no vanity to it. He's got game, it was just a bad weekend for him to play. As for conditions, apparently it was gnat-infested, pins in tough positions and it rained. One of the par 3s was 236 into wind...my friend hit 3 wood but more than a few were hitting driver to get to the front of the green from what I hear.

So I played in my 1st GW tour event this weekend at Stonebridge GC. Shot my best round of the season (83) and was the leader in the club house (B Flight) until the last group turned up, someone matched my 83! So off to playoff holes....It took 6 playoff holes to get a winner...Unfortunately I got beat and finished 2nd. Awesome day, good competition and well organized. Enjoyed every minute (other than the losing on the last) and can't wait for Bethpage 2 dayer in 2 weeks!

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1368108121' post='6998580']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Haha my first 3 or 4 events I found myself on holes that were tight and a driver couldn't be hit... On my first tee shot in competitive play I managed and pull my 3 iron into a pond. My second event was a very short tree lined par 4... 20-25mph cross wind headed straight out of bounds.. I managed to block my 3 iron and let it get caught in the wind.. nice OB on the tee. It wasn't until this last event that I was able to hit a driver. I hit a nice rip down the middle en route to a decent round lol. I hate showing up and being on a hole that is ultra tight and being nervous as crap.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1369072620' post='7070042']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1368108121' post='6998580']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Haha my first 3 or 4 events I found myself on holes that were tight and a driver couldn't be hit... On my first tee shot in competitive play I managed and pull my 3 iron into a pond. My second event was a very short tree lined par 4... 20-25mph cross wind headed straight out of bounds.. I managed to block my 3 iron and let it get caught in the wind.. nice OB on the tee. It wasn't until this last event that I was able to hit a driver. I hit a nice rip down the middle en route to a decent round lol. I hate showing up and being on a hole that is ultra tight and being nervous as crap.
[/quote]

I hear ya! Stonebridge felt quite narrow at times. Esp one par 3 that was 230, uphill, and into the wind with trees crowding you on the left. Barely had any room to start my fade!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to update this but I finished tied for 5th in my flight which was disappointing, but a learning experience. I carded a 10 (!!!) with no penalty strokes (!!!) on a very straight forward par 5. The greens were rolling QUICK. Especially since I'm used to public greens rolling slow with aerations most days this seasons thus far. Overall, content with the first tournament in a while being a 91. Think I learned from it.

This Sunday I'm playing Sea Oaks CC down in the Jersey Shore region (took a practice round today, which wasn't available to me at Concord CC) and feel totally confident taking on a 6300 yard course. Tons of bunkers, but if my Super Hybrid plays nice I think I can go way low.

Off to Bethpage today for the first "major" of the season (and my first tournament in six years). Everyone else who's playing today, good luck! Not too much though.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C