Byron Morgan Vs Machine Putter

MrTmag

Hello all i hope your having a great night. Im going to get a custom putter for my 16th birthday. Ive narrowed it down to Byron Morgan 711 putter or a Machine Fatback putter. What ares the pros and cons of both of them. Who has better custom stamping because thats very important to me because ive a very things i want stamped on the bumpers and cavity if thats possible. Also on Byron Morgans do they still use the surfer sally stamp because i really like that. Then if i do go with a byron should i go with carbon or stainless. Then last of all who has a better product after all because i want this to be picture perfect. Any insight would be greatly appriciated thanks for reading and God Bless. :golfer:

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12ยฐ Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='FutureSuper' timestamp='1367202386' post='6934877']
Do you live within driving distance to either of them?
If so make you decision based on that, if not it will be very tough.
[/quote]
no i live all the way on the east coast. but ive read in previous post byron morgans reps sent potential byers different models to try if im not mistaken

I wont be much help but I have had 3 custom Byrons and one custom Machine. Both are absolutely amazing and very well fine crafted putters. I like my Machine more simply for the fact that I am the only one I know with a Machine designed the exact way I wanted it. I have seen a ton of Camerons, a few Bettinardi, a couple Byrons, but only one Machine. Mine. Here's a pic of my baby.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='fireguyfrank58' timestamp='1367203242' post='6934983']
I wont be much help but I have had 3 custom Byrons and one custom Machine. Both are absolutely amazing and very well fine crafted putters. I like my Machine more simply for the fact that I am the only one I know with a Machine designed the exact way I wanted it. I have seen a ton of Camerons, a few Bettinardi, a couple Byrons, but only one Machine. Mine. Here's a pic of my baby.
[/quote]
Awesome putter i love the sharp lines on a machine what is the difference in feel between the two. Which do you prefer and why?

The Two Byrons I had were both Carbon 350G. I like the soft feel of carbon with the heavier head. My Machine is SS in 350G so it is not as soft feeling, but, with the aggressive milling Machine offers it makes the putter feel buttery smooth just like a carbon IMHO. So I get the feel of carbon without having to worry about any dings on the soft metal. I prefer my Machine.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

I have owned both and the Machine was an outstanding peice, perfect weight, adjustable on some models, beautiful modern look with a soft deep milled face.
However I was able to meet with Byron, play around in his shop and customize every aspect of the putter that I could imagine so that's the reason I currently bag the Byron.
The experperience of building it face to face with the man who's hands build, assemble and stamp it is next to none, it will be in my bag for years to come.
Good luck with your decision, neither of which will be a bad one.

[quote name='fireguyfrank58' timestamp='1367203912' post='6935053']
The Two Byrons I had were both Carbon 350G. I like the soft feel of carbon with the heavier head. My Machine is SS in 350G so it is not as soft feeling, but, with the aggressive milling Machine offers it makes the putter feel buttery smooth just like a carbon IMHO. So I get the feel of carbon without having to worry about any dings on the soft metal. I prefer my Machine.
[/quote]
thanks for your imput im thinking carbon because i like a soft feel. that helped me make up my mind on that

I guess I'll throw in my opinion. First bought a DH-89 second hand and I liked it so much I decided to custom order a stainless 006 with his tuna milling. He even did some crazy stamping ideas I threw at him. Been using it ever since.
Picked up a Machine not too long ago along the way, and though it felt nice, it didn't temp me to switch. I can't really describe the feeling of the 006. Firm from the stainless steel with some sort of magic from the milling. I may be a bit biased towards my custom putter but it's not leaving the bag anytime soon. Nothing's come close.

Nike VR_S w/ Diamana ION 'ahina 70s
Callaway Razr Fit 15 w/ UST VTS Silver 7
Adams Super 9031 18
4-PW Callaway X-Prototype w/ S300
Byron Morgan 006
Cleveland 50
Nike VR Pro 56
Tour Vokey 60

Try some deep milled putters too. Like a said before for me I get carbon feel from SS putters just from the deep milling. The new cameron line has very aggressive milling that can give you a very good idea.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='TRoc9892' timestamp='1367204422' post='6935099']
I guess I'll throw in my opinion. First bought a DH-89 second hand and I liked it so much I decided to custom order a stainless 006 with his tuna milling. He even did some crazy stamping ideas I threw at him. Been using it ever since.
Picked up a Machine not too long ago along the way, and though it felt nice, it didn't temp me to switch. I can't really describe the feeling of the 006. [color=#ff0000]Firm from the stainless steel[/color] [color=#ff0000]with some sort of magic from the milling[/color]. I may be a bit biased towards my custom putter but it's not leaving the bag anytime soon. Nothing's come close.
[/quote]
That's what Im talking about.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='is76550' timestamp='1367204324' post='6935085']
I can't say much for Byron because I have only had the chance to putt with one a few times but I absolutely love my Machine.
[attachment=1657811:image.jpg]

This is my baby
[/quote]
I was just looking at your WITB earlier tonight thinking to myself what a sweet putter i love the finish on it what is it called?

Couple of answers on the Byrons. The surfer sally (assuming you're talking about the one in the cavity) isn't actually a stamp; Its a milling. Unfortunately it was a limited edition and is no longer available. Another thing to consider in the SS v. CS is that carbon steel will "patina" more easily. If you don't mind* looking at a little "rust" then the carbon will suit you fine.

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1367204687' post='6935129']
[quote name='is76550' timestamp='1367204324' post='6935085']
I can't say much for Byron because I have only had the chance to putt with one a few times but I absolutely love my Machine.
[attachment=1657811:image.jpg]

This is my baby
[/quote]
I was just looking at your WITB earlier tonight thinking to myself what a sweet putter i love the finish on it what is it called?
[/quote]
They call it Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish.

TM / Titleist / Machine
WITB Link

Both quality pieces. Both top notch materials. Both have their group of loyal followers.
I have known Byron for a long time and have never heard a cross word from his lips. He touches every single putter that bears his name and can shape and soften like nobody else in the business, an art that takes time to learn. For those reasons, Byron would get my business.
Please do not see this as a quality issue, more just a personal preference. I have a Club Byron A.S.S. 007 hanging on my wall and it will always be one I keep.
Best of luck with your choosing.
LaMont in AZ

I have had both. I have had so many Byrons I have lost count and have had 3 or 4 machines. I think both make a great product and both have great reps. Dave for Byron and Chris for Machine are top notch and some of the best in the business. I tend to prefer Byrons because I have personally met Byron as well as the milling and finishes fit me a bit more however a few of machines finishes look amazing. I think either will do whatever you ask in terms of stamping within reason. Check out my WITB for a few of the Byrons I have had. I prefer the SS because you have much less maintenance on the putter finish. The only way carbon does not require maintenance is if you get a plated finish.

MACHINE. No question--at least for me. I've bought both. Still have both. Have spoken to both Byron Morgan and Dave Billings on the phone. And have massive respect for both. Both make quality putters, though I do like the artistry and innovations in MACHINE putters more, that's personal preference and could be considered a wash. MACHINE does have its own mills in-house though, so there less time for turnaround due to dealing with subcontractors doing the actual milling.

However, a huge factor that not too many people take into consideration on this site, and maybe should--MACHINE is a long time sponsor and Dave is a regular contributor to this site. Lots of boutique putter companies benefit from the exposure here, but few actually contribute to the site. MACHINE, Piretti, Bettinardi, Dechamps (until recently), and a few others are the exception.

:hi:

I would do a lot more research before making this expernsive decision - both are fine, fine putter makers. Bryon is all class and so is Dave and both offer unbelievable support and customization. I've met Bryon in person and he's tweaked my Channel Island for me and its one of the finest #9 putters that I own, awesome feel and roll. I also own a Machine M2A customized with a long twisty neck that Dave made for me and it's pure art. Gorgeous and beautiful...but enough of me...I think whats missing in your quest is the question -[b] do you need additional customization?[/b]

One strength MACHINE has is that after you buy the putter, you can still order parts such as a different neck shaft, different backs with different materail. One can go NUTZ just thinking about the options. Howver, you can't do this with a Byron, it's a one piece traditional design.

So figure out what you are going to do for the future with this putter. If you are erring on customizing it further, its MACHINE. If its a traditional one piece, go Byron. Either way, you have a TOP CLASS putter made by 2 greatest putter makers in the world.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5Xย 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:ย ย  Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:ย ย ย ย ย ย  Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:ย ย ย ย  LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='DannyNoonin' timestamp='1367205115' post='6935159']
Couple of answers on the Byrons. The surfer sally (assuming you're talking about the one in the cavity) isn't actually a stamp; Its a milling. Unfortunately it was a limited edition and is no longer available. Another thing to consider in the SS v. CS is that carbon steel will "patina" more easily. If you don't mind* looking at a little "rust" then the carbon will suit you fine.
[/quote]That is incorrect on both counts, the Sally Surfer is engraved not milled or stamped and is still available but is sent out and takes a while. I have a DH11 on order as we speak, it will have the Sally Surfer in the Cavity and oilcan finish.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1367202099' post='6934829']
[size=5]Hello all i hope your having a great night. Im going to get a custom putter for my 16th birthday. Ive narrowed it down to Byron Morgan 711 putter or a Machine Fatback putter. What ares the pros and cons of both of them. Who has better custom stamping because thats very important to me because ive a very things i want stamped on the bumpers and cavity if thats possible. Also on Byron Morgans do they still use the surfer sally stamp because i really like that. Then if i do go with a byron should i go with carbon or stainless. Then last of all who has a better product after all because i want this to be picture perfect. Any insight would be greatly appriciated thanks for reading and God Bless. :golfer: [/size]
[/quote]The Sally Surfer is still available but special order and it's engraved by an outside vendor for Byron. I prefer the feel of carbon but like stainless as well. The carbon will require a bit more maintenance to keep the finish looking good but no big deal to me.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

I think the choice come down to aesthetics. They both are super high quality products. Machine has a more modern look and gives you the option to switch things up now and then with its modular parts. Perfect for the tinkerer. Byron's look is super traditional and his stamping is second to none, best in the biz. I love my byron bombora and nothing is knocking it out of the bag anytime soon except another byron.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I do want to mention that we do make solid heads and classic shapes too. :)

[attachment=1658275:MP_M10F_TIG_Garage_J_Preacher_WIP_16c.jpg]

[attachment=1658279:MP_M10F_TIG_Garage_J_Preacher_16f.jpg]

[attachment=1658281:MP_M10F_TIG_Garage_J_Preacher_16c2.jpg]

Thanks again,

-Dave Billings