Is it me...

...or do all juniors seem to have low handicaps?
I don't know what it is, but for some reason all the juniors on the golf boards on the web seem to have low handicaps.

Personally, I don't think I am that great, I am 16, been playing for 2 years, and play of a 12 handicap in the UK, so that equates to about 8 in the US. But every person my age seems to be of 5 or lower!

Is it really like that over there, and are you a low capper? I just feel really inadequate when I see some of your bags and handicaps!!! :friends:

Kudos to you if you are low though. :cheesy:

Dave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juniors and Adults are the exact opposite when it comes to handicap, and what juniors do is funny.

Generally speaking, a junior is obsessed with having a low handicap, because they think low means good. Many will only post their best scores. I'd say where I grew up the average golfing kid played 4 times a week and most of them posted once a week, so that their handicap was inflated. They also over interpret equitable stroke control as to mean what they think they should have gotten on a hole if they hadn't hit one out of bounds and one in the water and picked up.

I think its funny, because now that I play in tournaments where handicap is taken into consideration, or play with people where I have to give strokes, I wish mine was higher, and many people, often called sandbaggers, inflate theirs for this purpose.

i am 16 and played golf when i was younger, but then gave it up for a bit to play travel hockey, i just recently picked up golf again, and i believe that i have gotten so good, simply because the dicipline hockey gave me, i do spend a good bit of time at the course every day, and put in considerable time at the gym, i dont do this because i play on a junior tour or because i think i have a shot at college golf or professional golf, i just do it because i am just wanting to be the best i can be, my typical schedule during golf season, is as follows

5a-6a run

6a-630a shower, eat, get ready for school and leave to school

650a-730a go over previous day practice and workout and plan today

730a-1130a School

1145a-1245 practice, run, or lift

1p-2p school

2p-dark practice/play golf (dark around 8p now)

8p-10p lift (or whenever they kick me out of gym)

10p-12a eat dinner, shower, homework, generally check out before 12

so that is basically my schedule, i take it easier on weekends and take the oppertunity to sleep in, but the 12 on schedule is pretty much the same, so i hope this helped you see that juniors (at least me and some friends) do put in a lot of time and effort to get our handicaps down and keep them down, as of last saturday i am a 2 handicap

pm if yall have any questions :friends:

i am 16 and played golf when i was younger, but then gave it up for a bit to play travel hockey, i just recently picked up golf again, and i believe that i have gotten so good, simply because the dicipline hockey gave me, i do spend a good bit of time at the course every day, and put in considerable time at the gym, i dont do this because i play on a junior tour or because i think i have a shot at college golf or professional golf, i just do it because i am just wanting to be the best i can be, my typical schedule during golf season, is as follows

5a-6a run

730a-1130a School

1p-2p school

so that is basically my schedule, i take it easier on weekends and take the oppertunity to sleep in, but the 12 on schedule is pretty much the same, so i hope this helped you see that juniors (at least me and some friends) do put in a lot of time and effort to get our handicaps down and keep them down, as of last saturday i am a 2 handicap

Are you homeschooled? I see you split your school into 2 parts and i don't think that would be possible unless you were homeschooled.

Also, why do you workout two or three times a day? Can you not fit it all into the 2 hours at night? You run for a hour, then another hour at lunch and more working out at 8-10pm... That seems like alot of working out.

Plus working out is good and all, but you have to work on things like core strength and flexibility to improve your golf game, not just weight training.

Obviously you do weight training too but your not trying to "bulk up" or shouldn't be at that.

I work on these things 3 times a week in the gym for an hour. I do weights and cardio for the other three days a week and take one day off.

I also right now since it's winter weather again here am practicing about 3 times a week and have played 6 rounds so far in coooooooooold conditions and have had 6 train wrecks on the course...but it's early and I have all summer to play.

I was a +1...now am playing on about a 1...scoring average up 2 shots since I ended last fall...but again to me all that matters is how i preform in competition...handicap is just a guideline of how I'm playing in my last 20 rounds.

I admit, I used to only post my low scores..and then I realized I was only kidding myself. Then I started putting in EVERY single round I played and I actually improved so it only helped me.

ROGUE 10.5 // HZRDUS BLK
G410 17.5 // EVENFLOW BLK
TITLEIST U510 4 // HZRDUS
SRIXON Z765 // MODUS 3
FOURTEEN 50 56 60 // KBS
EDEL

5a-6a run

730a-1130a School

1p-2p school

Are you homeschooled? I see you split your school into 2 parts and i don't think that would be possible unless you were homeschooled.

Also, why do you workout two or three times a day? Can you not fit it all into the 2 hours at night? You run for a hour, then another hour at lunch and more working out at 8-10pm... That seems like alot of working out.

no i am certainly not homeschooled, i go to a large highschool down town, and school hours are 730-3 and since im a junior i can have 2 off periods, so i have 5th period off, which is basically time off from 1125-105 to get technical, so basically an hour and 40 mins, and then i also have 7th period off which is from 205-3 so my school has 7 periods a day, all 55 mins each and a built in half hour lunch for everyone, hope this cleared things up instead of confusing everybody, although i do put in a lot of work most everyday, it does not seem excessive to me, i love waking up early and taking that crisp morning run and watching the sun come up, plus i run with my girlfriend so its actually quite nice, and then the other lifting and such is not maxing out, its just to work the legs and shoulders and back im not huge by any means but i just really like being in shape and this schedule is working for me, and the time i spend at the range is time well spent, i do not just hit ball after ball, i have a purpose, as stated i plan out every session, based on what my dad and pro say i should work on,

all you old guys are giving us a bad rap! im just hoping to shed some light to you guys that there are a select few who are dedicated and love the game MEEEEEE!

keep the coments coming

I don't know if this was directed at me...but I'm not old I'm 20. unless you think thats old I don't know lol :P

Obviously staying in shape is great an essential for a golf game to succeed I feel. I was just giving you some alternatives that you may find will benefit you in your game; those again are...flexibility and core strength.

I don't know if this was directed at me...but I'm not old I'm 20. unless you think thats old I don't know lol :P

Obviously staying in shape is great an essential for a golf game to succeed I feel. I was just giving you some alternatives that you may find will benefit you in your game; those again are...flexibility and core strength.

nnno wasnt directed at you, i was talking about getting chopped down by some previous posts, earlier, yes i agree with the core strength 100% really helped my game, im 16 by the way, so not taking a stab at you :friends:

when I was in school my handicap was low too.. 3-4ish.. I'm a 5 now down from a dozen or so.

WHY :

I had time...now I dont.. pretty simple.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

most of them think they are WAY better than they really are!!

Agreed, but the true players don't do it that much. I thinkit has to do alot with the pressure to be good if you play an "diffrent" sport, football guys don't have to be good to be considered one of the athletic ones, where as golfers have to be pretty good to get respect.

growing up playing junior golf i ALWAYS see juniors with low handicaps even though they arnt very good. ALL JUNIORS ARE VANITY HANDICAPPERS

1) Don't start with the genrealizations

2) It depends, when you make you summer $ in the form of pro shop credit, you learn to play high if anything pretty fast. Don't knock the hustle.

I practice pretty much everyday and I like to think that I am committed to what I love and that is golf. I have gotten down to a 3 from a 6 last spring. I compete in some tournaments where handicaps are nesscary and some juniors when I check the tee times online say they are around a 2-4 and when they get to the course they are shooting 90's. I like to think that you only hurt yourself if you lie to a computer when you put in your scores. If you truely work hard and practice correctly you will only get better. This is why I love this game.

Maybe the US handicapping system should take a leaf out of Australia's handicapping system. In Australia each round we play counts towards our handicap. If you shoot higher than your handicap then it goes up by .1. Also if you do not hand your card in then it goes up by .1. However many strokes you beat your handicap by, that is how many your handicap goes down by .3 per stroke.

I believe that this system isn't as easy to "cheat" as the one implemented in the US. I have never found someone in Australia to claim to be off 1 or 2 or 3 and shoot in the nineties. That is ridiculous. Your handicap should reflect your average over par (or under for the lucky few) instead of reflecting your potential.

Just my own two cents.

The good juniors are usually the ones who won't be saying that they're fnatastic and X handicap and played in this tournament and shot that score. I know I ain't the best just yet, but even within myself I can see massive potential if I dedicate myself properly to improving over the summer. I just hate it when juniors use their handicaps and scores as a stick to beat other people with. It happens me the whole time as I can thorow an 85 or something inout of nowhere and some guys will be spouting off about how much better they are than me etc. Rant over :rolleyes:

the british handicap system is much better.Every score you post off the whites 18 holes counts towards your handicap!!!

if your in category 1 (1-6) you go down .1 every shot you play under.if your between 6-12 you go down .2 every shot under and so on.

playing over your handicap is .1 added and n/r is .1 added some clubs add .2!!

I'm gonna go in a different direction here. Why are juniors' handicaps so low on golf websites? Because people on golf websites care a lot about golf. Simple as that. Everyone on this site cares about golf and wants to improve. It's not every junior who has a low handicap, but serious players like ones you'd find here, do have low handicaps usually.

i agree with ditty, but also i think tiger has kind of revolutionized the sport. You see a lot of high schools most athletic kids playing golf now, not only commiting to practice but time in the gym. Golf seems to much more of a "sport" in todays generation, so add that up and you get good players.

mike

5a-6a run

730a-1130a School

1p-2p school

pm if yall have any questions :rolleyes:

Try doing that when your thirty and have a family, a child and a crappy job...sorry - do I sound bitter?