How to Identify Your Biggest Weakness

I was wondering what would be the best way to identify where Im giving away the most strokes? Right now Im only tracking Fairways hit, GIRs and total putts. Obviously this does not tell the whole story of how to improve my scoring. What other stats are others tracking?

Other than stats is there anything else I can do to figure what i should address first. I'm already taking lessons so im thinking more in terms of dividing what practice time I have in a way that will give me the greatest benefit.
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams a12 19*
Callaway RAZR X 4-AW
Cleveland 588 RTX 54*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,228 ✭✭
    Get married?

Having a playing lesson with someone who know what they are looking at.

• mark mmark m Members Posts: 2,482 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2013 #3
    Spread your practice around to all areas of the game. For many, problem areas can vary from round to round. One round you putt well, the next you don't. If you do have an obvious weakness, it should be noticeable and you won't even have to look at your stats.

Good driving is a challenge for most. Tracking fairways is good, but also track drives that are in play versus those that put you in trouble. Sometimes missing the fairway on the appropriate side with an open shot is OK too.
    Fit at Totally Driven:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5, Oban Devotion 05Flex 65g
    TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
    TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
    Vokey SM6 50/08
    Cleveland RTX-3 56/11
    Vokey SM6 60/08
    Newport 2.5
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,888 ✭✭
    I start with the assumption that I suck at everything and work backwards from that.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway GBB Alpha 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Gw/Sw/Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    I take a mental inventory at the end of the round. I'm usually around 80, so I'm trying to figure out where I lost 8 strokes to par.

My errors are amazingly evenly distributed among drives, approaches, chips, and putts. Usually something like "My driver cost me 2 strokes, on pulled, one pushed. Approach irons, cost me 2 strokes- one thin, one fat. Chipping cost me 2 strokes, where I had simple up and downs, but hit bad chips. And I missed one short par save, and I 3 putted once.

So what do I need to work on? Everything.

If you want to, you could just write it down in a notebook ( I use my iPhone to keep notes in).
    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

Get married?

"Get married?"---that's funny
    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • RockminerRockminer Members Posts: 797

I start with the assumption that I suck at everything and work backwards from that.

You're not the only one LOL. I just write down what I'm great at, it's not a very big list.
  • sonofagunnsonofagunn Members Posts: 793
    The way I do it is to use golfshot to keep my scores, then I can use golfplan to compare my putting, short game, bunker play, driving, and GIRs to people of a similar handicap to see where I am better or worse in a certain area than my peers.
  • SurfinTurfSurfinTurf In like Flynn with my 8802 Members Posts: 4,466
    edited May 13, 2013 #9

Get married?

Yep.

I just ask my wife. Actually she volunteers the information.

image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
    TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
    Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
    Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
    Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
    The Wilson 8802
  • Jim WaldronJim Waldron Balance Point Golf Schools Sponsors Posts: 3,214 ✭✭
    Lodestone wrote:

Get married?

"Get married?"---that's funny

"Take my golf instructor....please!"
  • JasonFLJasonFL Under My Left Foot Members Posts: 1,044
    sonofagunn wrote:

The way I do it is to use golfshot to keep my scores, then I can use golfplan to compare my putting, short game, bunker play, driving, and GIRs to people of a similar handicap to see where I am better or worse in a certain area than my peers.

Same.

Golfshot takes the guessing out of it. My tee shots leave me in bad shape. Which also ruins my GIR....and so on....
    Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
    ever will - someone on the internet
  • one putzone putz Members Posts: 182
    Lodestone, I have done something similar a few times after a particularly disappointing round but I never record the results anywhere so I can't see any trends.

I have used GolfShot before and I dont really remember why I ever stopped. Is it worth it to upgrade to the full version or is the Lite version good enough?
    Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9*
    Callaway X Hot 15*
    Adams a12 19*
    Callaway RAZR X 4-AW
    Cleveland 588 RTX 54*, 58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line
  • JasonFLJasonFL Under My Left Foot Members Posts: 1,044
    one putz wrote:

Lodestone, I have done something similar a few times after a particularly disappointing round but I never record the results anywhere so I can't see any trends.

I have used GolfShot before and I dont really remember why I ever stopped. Is it worth it to upgrade to the full version or is the Lite version good enough?

Full version can track club distances, FIR, GIR, left, right, short, long, putts per GIR and per green, scramble, sand saves, etc. Also saves a ton of your past scorecards and gives a theoretical handicap. Its not so accurate compared to ghin though.
    Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
    ever will - someone on the internet
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members Posts: 540
    one putz wrote:

I was wondering what would be the best way to identify where Im giving away the most strokes? Right now Im only tracking Fairways hit, GIRs and total putts. Obviously this does not tell the whole story of how to improve my scoring. What other stats are others tracking?

Other than stats is there anything else I can do to figure what i should address first. I'm already taking lessons so im thinking more in terms of dividing what practice time I have in a way that will give me the greatest benefit.

Don't just think in terms of actual stats like Fairways hit, GIR, scrambling, # of putts. Get a little tablet and document your round. Ie. Par 4 (400 yards) - Shot 1(Driver to 275 yards to left side of fairway), Shot 2 (9 iron to right front of green), Shot 3 (putt missed high to appx 5 ft, misread), Shot 4 (putt in the hole, good line and speed). You can also document the traditional stats but I think it will be easier to identify trends in your game by documenting the entire round.
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,216 ✭✭
    As a first step, look at a chart like the one on this page. . .

http://www.probablegolfinstruction.com/PGI%20Newsletter/news09-07-04.htm

If you're shooting 90 now, and you want to be shooting 85, compare where you're deficient. Are you hitting 2 fewer greens? Are you hitting 5 more putts than you should?

Chances are, you do have to work on everything. Usually, the biggest difference between someone better than you, and you, is going to be long game. Don't know your level right now, but you can't be hitting fat shots. Can't be slicing stuff 30 yards right into hazards. Can't be thinning irons over the green. Game gets a lot easier when you're on or near a green in regulation.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-PW

Vokey 50º illegal grooves
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

Oncore Elixir
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,365 ✭✭
    Agree with playing lesson.
  • DeeKKDeeKK Members Posts: 103

one putz wrote:

Don't just think in terms of actual stats like Fairways hit, GIR, scrambling, # of putts. Get a little tablet and document your round. Ie. Par 4 (400 yards) - Shot 1(Driver to 275 yards to left side of fairway), Shot 2 (9 iron to right front of green), Shot 3 (putt missed high to appx 5 ft, misread), Shot 4 (putt in the hole, good line and speed). You can also document the traditional stats but I think it will be easier to identify trends in your game by documenting the entire round.

Phils,

I started doing this this season and it is really an eye opener on what you need to work on during your practice time. I found out that around the greens I am horrible. I can't hit a chip within 20 feet of the hole, either leaving it short or running it by the hole. My ball striking is fine on most days, but my chipping around the greens needs a lot of work. I always assumed that I was "ok" at chipping, but getting up and down for par has been a struggle. Hitting 3 to 4 shots from 10-yards off the green (1 chip and 2 or 3 putt) really puts a dent in your scorecard.
    Nike CT 2.0 10.5*- Fuji Pro 63x
    Nike CP 2.0 15*- Fuji Pro TS 73X
    Ping Anser 20*- RIP Alpha 105x
    Ping i20 4-PW - KBS TourV 130x
    Titleist SM5 52*F, 56*F, 60*K - KBS 130x
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • goldgolfergoldgolfer Members Posts: 53
    Great advice on the thread. I will have to checkout that Golfshot app. Sounds pretty cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file