ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

Comments

• Chase Cooper GolfChase Cooper Golf Advanced Members Posts: 2,330
    Good work Q... Don't you worry, that 78 will easily be an 85 after a few days with me in Oklahoma!!!
    Lots of Callaway Stuff
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,980 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

Just looked at the course where the qualifier is on Google Maps. I'd played it 50+ times from the Blue tees, but rarely from the tips. From Blue, it is a lot of hybrid off of the tee, which I hit well. From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well, to avoid bunkers, getting squeezed, etc. It will play 7,117 and I will probably only hit driver 5-6 times. Guess what we're working on this weekend, Lv_2_hack?

Also, NONE of the par fives will be reasonably reachable.

You will be surprised by how short they play the qualifier. I think they shoot for like 6700 yards. It likely will not be the tips.
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 8,993 ClubWRX

QMany wrote:

Just looked at the course where the qualifier is on Google Maps. I'd played it 50+ times from the Blue tees, but rarely from the tips. From Blue, it is a lot of hybrid off of the tee, which I hit well. From the tips, it looks like a lot of 3W off the tee, which I don't hit well, to avoid bunkers, getting squeezed, etc. It will play 7,117 and I will probably only hit driver 5-6 times. Guess what we're working on this weekend, Lv_2_hack?

You will be surprised by how short they play the qualifier. I think they shoot for like 6700 yards. It likely will not be the tips.

I talked to a few people at Intercity last night and they said the same. That surprised me.

One of the guys I was paired with has qualified the last six times he tried. He beat me by 4, all on the back when I had my bogey train. It was a good gauge. Being my first amateur event, I was a little nervous about being competitive next week. I have a much better feeling about it now, understanding that I am not out of my league.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • midwestonmidweston I should have taken up fishing.... Advanced Members Posts: 1,541
    Good stuff! Sounds like you can hang with the big dogs! Just getting that experience will hopefully calm the nerves in the future and keep you off the bogey train image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Hogan1975Hogan1975 Love old flat irons Banned Posts: 1,686
    Sounds like good golfing...keep up the good work.. And nice swing by the way

Good thread

Cp
    During the round, a few of the guys I was playing with talked to me about my swing and my game. They were astonished that I only picked up the game four years ago. One of them was a 20-year PGA club professional and had a great line. "It is great that you were an athlete before picking up the game. It is really hard to make a thoroughbred out of a jackass."
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany wrote:

During the round, a few of the guys I was playing with talked to me about my swing and my game. They were astonished that I only picked up the game four years ago. One of them was a 20-year PGA club professional and had a great line. "It is great that you were an athlete before picking up the game. It is really hard to make a thoroughbred out of a jackass."

Was your best tip swinging 7 iron 50 to 60 yrds when you make swing changes?
    QMany wrote:

Sometimes I feel embarrassed telling people I've been playing for 31 years. Maybe I will say 4 years, I like the sound of that better. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Your doing a great Job..I'm happy for your success

QMany wrote:

Was your best tip swinging 7 iron 50 to 60 yrds when you make swing changes?

It was a great tip. I had heard of doing slow motion before, but I'd never gave it serious thought. Lv_2_hack really convinced me. He wanted me to exaggerate all of my feels. It was sooooooo hard to do at first. Obviously, seeing my awkward movement doing it, it still isn't easy for me. It really has helped though. Just doing it and seeing it on video is invaluable.

I actually have been kind of warming up with it. The other day I started with slow motion wedges and built up to full swings. Then I did slow motion 7i and built up to full swings. It really helped. I did that again last night before the tournament. I haven't done it with anything longer than 7i yet.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

I would suggest doing slow motion 7i. They will go anywhere from 50-100 depending on speed. Get video! It will be eye-opening.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Thought I would talk through my best hole of the day.

#11 is a par 5 that was playing 490. It was playing straight into the wind, and after the tee shot, is straight up hill.

I usually don't play this hole well as the prevailing wind and OB all down the right side don't fit my eye.

Usually I will hit driver and pull it into the trees on the left.

image.jpg

I just committed to being "closed" on the tee shot. That was my only swing thought. It was undoubtedly my best drive of the day.

I was pretty close to "position A," but with this pin position, I was blocked from going right at the pin by the trees 120ish yards out.

I had 195 to the pin. 178 to carry the lip of the bunker. I pulled 4i and as soon as I addressed the ball, everything felt right. Just felt "closed" and fired through it.

Tight 7-8 yard draw around the tree and just a touch right of the pin. It was pured.

I was about 25 feet past the pin, close to the back edge.

Lipped out the eagle putt and tapped in for birdie.

Eagle would have won me the skin and $260.

Now if I could only drive the ball that way all the time.

My miss with irons was a little pull-draw. Hope to get that figured out this weekend in OKC.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• Gawbage_manGawbage_man Advanced Members Posts: 607
    What do you mean by feeling "closed"? Sorry if this has already be discussed in this thread? Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    Saint308 wrote:

What do you mean by feeling "closed"? Sorry if this has already be discussed in this thread? Thanks.

No worries, man.

In my lesson with Dan, he talked about how open my clubface was. My left wrist was cupped and my right wrist was almost flat.

Top.jpg

Even if I came down correctly I would shank or hit a huge foul ball. In order to try to get it on line I would have to release all of my angles hard.

I have to feel very closed at the top. To me, it feels Dustin Johnson-like.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Gotcha, feeling like the wrist is bowed. Good luck.
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,980 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

QMany wrote:

I talked to a few people at Intercity last night and they said the same. That surprised me.

One of the guys I was paired with has qualified the last six times he tried. He beat me by 4, all on the back when I had my bogey train. It was a good gauge. Being my first amateur event, I was a little nervous about being competitive next week. I have a much better feeling about it now, understanding that I am not out of my league.

Are you kidding? You're definitely not going to be out of your league at the qualifier. 76 is a guaranteed qualify. 77 gets you into a playoff at worst. Sometimes 78 or 79 gets it done. I have only tried once and missed the 6 for 5 spots playoff by a shot. I shot 78 with 3 putts on 17 and 18. Just remember that you don't have to shoot under par, but you also can't let things get out of hand. I think I had a couple doubles that day, plus 2 or 3 3 putts. Just have to avoid letting stuff like that happen.
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned Posts: 20,715
    How's the swing coming around?
    Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
    Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
    Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
    All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

How's the swing coming around?

It is getting there. We put it some really good work today. Full swing, pitches, chips, sand shots, and putting. Doing short game next to Scott Verplank is stressful, to say the least.

We got some slo-mo video. I will try to get it posted ASAP.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

That has got to be awesome. We're you able to pick his brain at all?
    edited May 2013
    The wind was pumping 25+ so I had to get in an "athletic position" so I wouldn't get blown over while getting video of Lv_2_hack:

Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

you are like an overgrown sean foley in that position.
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    6'2" and 6'7"

We'd make a better basketball team than best ball team.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Made a couple of simple tweaks. His videoing skills leave a lot to be desired but his golf swing is starting to look pretty good. Left pictures were before, right are after.

Lots of Callaway Stuff
  • midwestonmidweston I should have taken up fishing.... Advanced Members Posts: 1,541
    What ball flight differences were you going for? Did you take some draw out, because it looks like the club will come less from the inside now.
    Looks really good. Now if we could only do something about those socks. I kid......I kid.
    midweston wrote:

What ball flight differences were you going for? Did you take some draw out, because it looks like the club will come less from the inside now.

My miss before was a nasty pull-draw that drove me bananas. Ball flight has become much straighter.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Saint308 wrote:

Looks really good. Now if we could only do something about those socks. I kid......I kid.

I get sh*t for my socks all the time. I wore them in HS and college basketball and now don't feel comfortable in short socks. I rock them daily.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Yeah his socks are hideous.
    Lots of Callaway Stuff
    I'll bet he has some sweet tan lines when it's sandals time image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    lv_2_hack wrote:

Made a couple of simple tweaks. His videoing skills leave a lot to be desired but his golf swing is starting to look pretty good. Left pictures were before, right are after.

Does laying off the club like that ( shaft pointing towards left field at top) ..help shallow you out in transition? ( shaft pointing towards right field) leads to an extreme vertical pull down transition?

Just my thoughts

I am no expert but I think the position is really good. If he took it to parallel it would be on the target line, no?
    At least aesthetically it looks better at the top to me...one line, no need to recorrect in the downswing. Looks pretty. I'm excited to hear how you do Qmany in your qualifying!!
    edited May 2013

lv_2_hack wrote:

Does laying off the club like that ( shaft pointing towards left field at top) ..help shallow you out in transition? ( shaft pointing towards right field) leads to an extreme vertical pull down transition?

Just my thoughts

CP I'd say it depends on how the club gets there. If his backswing is good then yes, but if his arms get too far behind him and his arms have to lift to get to that laid off position then it will come down very steep.

We are working on getting his clubface more square at the top and not so open. We worked on that a bit in March and then Dan had same thing to say in Q's swingfix lesson. IMO it's not laid off. If he kept turning shoulders to top and hinged wrist a bit more it would be directly down the target line.
    Lots of Callaway Stuff
    Just left OKC. The conditions at Oak Tree National today were the craziest I have ever seen on a golf course. We guessed that the wind was a constant 35 mph, with gusts of 45. From the "pro" side of the range, it was dead nuts straight into it. No faking it with your golf swing today.

Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Just got my tee time for the qualifier. I'm in the third group off at 8:20. I don't know either of the guys I'm paired with

35 in the field.

8 are Division I golfers. Few from Mizzou, one from SMU, and a few others.

I still think 77-78 gets you in a playoff.

The forecast looks grim.

Weather.jpg
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Keep us posted. Bad weather means staying patient. Good luck.
    kick a** sir! make it 2 75s!
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    was it a productive session with lv_2 Qmany?
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Hit a few drives by the big man did ya Qmany?
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    edited May 2013

It really was. He is working at golf camp for a few days, but he should be getting some video up next week. Of course, I need to ingrain it, but I saw the potential. Multiple times I'd say, "wow, that was the greatest [insert club here] I've ever hit."

I don't think I hit many by him, maybe one when he hit a low hook.

I held my own in our little competitions (short game, putting, driving). He's really, really, really good at golf.

He also noticed how open my driver face was at address. Square to my eye was 10+ degrees open, no joke. When he set it square, I felt like I'd hook it off the planet. Nope, straight boring flight.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany wrote:

It really was. He is working at golf camp for a few days, but he should be getting some video up next week. Of course, I need to ingrain it, but I saw the potential. Multiple times I'd say, "wow, that was the greatest [insert club here] I've ever hit."

I don't think I hit many by him, maybe one when he hit a low hook.

I held my own in our little competitions (short game, putting, driving). He's really, really, really good at golf.

He also noticed how open my driver face was at address. Square to my eye was 10+ degrees open, no joke. When he set it square, I felt like I'd hook it off the planet. Nope, straight boring flight.

Get to work!
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    I will get a good practice session in today.

I might even make it to the qualifier course to get some putting and short game in. Completely different greens and rough than my course only 10 minutes away.

It is supposed to pour all day tomorrow.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

This weather is killing me!
    midweston wrote:

This weather is killing me!

It is definitely limiting. I got back in town last night and luckily hit a pocket of good weather. I got a good two hours of practice in.

I will probably be able to practice this evening, but tomorrow is lost. That is disappointing since the qualifier is first thing Friday morning.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Just hope for the best and prep for the worst sir.
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Yeah. We have had over 3 inches over 3 days... Range is closed for sure. 21 mph wins to go with it

edited May 2013
    So you have the course planned out ya?

All good?
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Qmany leaving me hangin'. Ouch.
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Course is planned out. I know the approaches and green complexes very well. I had never played from the Championship tees, so I planned out my tee shots. With the course playing LONG and wet, I will hit driver a lot.

All good?

As long as the weather holds off, I'm good to go. It was supposed to be severe thunderstorms all day today. Instead, there isn't a cloud in the sky. Hopefully the bad stuff misses us. I'm a man, I can play in a little rain.

Tom-Watson-480_2.jpg
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany wrote:

Course is planned out. I know the approaches and green complexes very well. I had never played from the Championship tees, so I planned out my tee shots. With the course playing LONG and wet, I will hit driver a lot.

All good?

As long as the weather holds off, I'm good to go. It was supposed to be severe thunderstorms all day today. Instead, there isn't a cloud in the sky. Hopefully the bad stuff misses us. I'm a man, I can play in a little rain.

Tom-Watson-480_2.jpg

bucket hat it like a man!!!
    Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
    Forecast is getting worse.

Weather2.jpg

I don't know if we'll end up playing tomorrow.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X