Pro V1/V1x, TM TP5/Lethal/RBZ U. ball review

TripleSingle

Hello everyone, newbie here and this will be my first post, although not the first time on WRX.

I've been playing golf since 1989 and played with many different ball brands over the years. I believe that the ball doesnt really start improving your game unless your handicap is 13 or below. Anything above that is ball-striking and your swing. Been playing the ProV1x since it came out in 2003.

I will be doing a review on the 2013 Pro V's and a comparison to the TM balls.

Just some quick info:

7 Handicapper

Swing Speed: 115-119 mph

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, Diamana B Series 60X (1/2 inch tipped)

3 Wood: Titleist 980F, Dynamic Gold S300

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 690 MB, Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges: 56 deg TaylorMade Rac Black, 60 deg Cleveland CG11

Putter: 2003 Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless

To give each ball a fair evaluation and comparison, I played 3 rounds of 18 holes with each ball on the same course.

No trackman numbers here, just based on relativity, observation, and feeling.

DRIVER and WOOD

Distance: Longest to shortest 1) RBZ U. 2) Lethal 3)Tie between TP5 and V1x 4) V1

Feel: Firm to softest 1) RBZ U. 2) V1x 3) TP5 4) V1 5) Lethal

Launch: Highest to lowest 1) Lethal 2) TP5 3) V1 4) RBZ U. 5) V1x

Not surprised here, the V1 is the shortest of the bunch with too much backspin. This is the reason why I ditched the V1 for the V1x back in 2003, and it really hasn't changed. The previous RBZ was the longest ball I've ever hit, and the RBZ urethane hasn't lost any of it.

On AVERAGE the RBZ was 25-30 yards longer than ProV1, and about 15 yards longer than the V1x. The V1 doesn't roll much, and in some cases, the ball moved back. Basically, a draw with the V1 would be the same distance as a fade on the RBZ.

I put the Lethal in second, but its not that much of a different between the TP5 and V1x, probably an average of 5 yards further.

In terms of feel, the RBZ is still extremely firm, and I dont think the urethane cover helped. Reminds me of the Ultra 500 distance balls of the early 90's. Some people may complain the RBZ is just way too firm, but I don't care because this ball is just a bomber and I actually like the firm feeling. Even off-center hits go far.

My only complaint with the Lethal is how much the ball would go right on slices. On any given round, I'll have a huge slicing drive on at least one of the holes. If there is no OB, you're lucky, cause this ball REALLY goes RIGHT. You slice this ball and it will probably be in the fairway on the next hole.

Mid to Long Irons

Distance: Longest to shortest 1) RBZ U. 2) TP5, Lethal, V1x all tied 3) V1

Spin: Most to least 1) Tie between V1 and TP5 2) V1x 3) Lethal 4) RBZ U

Just like the driver, the RBZ goes FAR! It launches high and you can just see it hang in the air longer. It is almost a club longer than the V1's. My playing partners all experienced the same with their hybrids too. Normally I'll hit my 7 iron about 165 yards with the V1, about 170 with the TP5, Lethal, V1x, but the RBZ goes 175. It didn't take long to adjust, after hitting 2 mid irons, I already knew I could use 1 club less with the RBZ.

For mid irons (6, 7, 8) the ball would be within a grip length for the V1 and TP5. The Lethal and V1x felt quite similar here. They both had a bit of rollout (no more than 3 feet). The RBZ stops extremely well for a distance ball, I'd say stopping ability is close with the V1x and Lethal.

Full Short Iron and Wedge Shots

I really liked the V1x and Lethal in this department. I'm a high-spin player and never had a problem with spin, so the V1 and TP5 spin way too much for me since they have a tendency to zip back. I like my wedge shots to have a hop and stop instead of zipping back because I feel that its much easier to control distance that way, which is exactly what I got from the V1x and Lethal. The stopping power on the RBZ is not "wow', but good enough. It has some rollout, but the ball never was more than a putter's length away from its pitchmark.

Half Wedge/ Pitch/ Chip shots

I feel that this is the only department where the ProV1 excels. I like how the ball skips and checks across the green, and the ball always has a soft landing. I like everything about the ProV1x, EXCEPT when it comes to pitch shots. Its not about the spin, but the way the ball kicks. I dont know about you guys, but on 30-50 yard pitch shots, the V1x never hops straight for me. It's not a big deal, but its annoying. Just when it looks like the ball is going straight to the pin, the ball would kick either left or right about 45 degrees (unpredictable which direction it is going to be). I cant figure out what it is, but Im gonna have to give it to the V1,TP5, and Lethal here. I could see the TP5 spins more consistently than the Lethal, but both felt great like the V1x, only it kicks and rolls forward.

This is where last year's RBZ performed very poorly, and it took some time getting used to the distance and rollout. and its not that much better with the urethane. Not really a problem if you have a lot of green to work with, but gets quite tricky when you're in the rough 20 yards away from the pin behind a bunker, and the pin is only 2-3 yards from the fringe, with a downhill sloping green. Requires a lot of practice to get a good judgement of the feel and power, and even though you'll get used to it, you will still miss the spin that the other balls generate.

Putting

Hands down, the Lethal is the best ball here. Its the best ball i've ever used to the putt with. Its hard to describe the feel. It's soft, yet firm at the same time, where I felt the V1 has always been too soft. A lot of times I would leave putts short with the V1 because its just so soft, and would be the opposite with the V1x and RBZ, quite firm and on the "clicky" side.

I felt that the urethane cover on the RBZ didn't do much on the drivers and irons. But this is where I can feel a big improvement compared to last year's RBZ. Last year's RBZ was super clicky and just didnt feel great for putting. The RBZ urethane feels much softer.

Conclusion

If price wasn't a factor, I would still pick the ProV1x to play with. But considering that I have a tendency to lose about 2-3 balls per round, whether its from OB, water hazards (the course has water on 10 of its 18 holes), or just simply not being able to find my ball in a bush, the ball that I will be using for 2013 is the RBZ Urethane. At the end of the day, I think we all should pick the ball that we feel most comfortable in, a ball that can give us the confidence, and most importantly, which ball you score the best with.

In the 15 rounds I played, the best scores came from the RBZ, and the worst scores surprisingly came from the Lethal.

The way the ball curves right on a slice was a bit too extreme for me.

Don't get me wrong, the Lethal is an awesome ball if you break down its performance one by one...heck...every ball is good if you strike it well. So being an amateur weekend golfer, its not about which ball I like when struck well, but which ball I like when hit off-center, which help keep our scores low.

Sorry for the length, but I hope my review has been informative.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review. I am gaming the Lethals but I'll try the RBZ U balls.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1370446433' post='7174376']
nice write up...did you use 2013 prov1s for the test? i think the new prov1 is longer for high-spin players, especially into and through crosswinds
[/quote]

All the balls I used were 2013 balls. The last time I used a ProV1 was back in 2010, when I just tried one sleeve.

The 2013 ProV1 does have some improvement with the Driver Spin, but I still felt that its too much for my game. The ProV1's in the past had way too much driver spin. Especially on wet days where it has rained the night before, the ball would be half a yard behind its landing spot on the fairway, and would have lots of mud on it.

In terms of carry distance, the ProV1 actually doesnt lose too much against the TP5 and Lethal balls based on what my eyes could see. I actually did like the launch of the 2013 ProV1, as I feel that the ProV1x might be a bit too low. I wouldn't say I'm a golfer who needs extra distance, but at the end of the day, I'd prefer to be hitting a PW into the green then an 8 iron. On average my drives with the ProV1 was about 285 yards, where with the RBZ I averaged about 310 yards.

I dont wanna be sounding like Im bashing the ProV1, as I mentioned the worst scores surprisingly came from the Lethal, even though I really liked them.
But if I were to say something positive about the ProV1's driver spin, is that it helps keep your ball in play. It's what I would call a "safer" ball. Just when it looks like your ball is heading towards the cartparth and OB, the ball would just stop in the rough and doesn't cross over the cartpath into OB. With the other balls, if your ball lands a yard or 2 away from that white marker, chances are you will see it take one hop and then roll into OB.

The main reason why I was impressed with the RBZ is because in the past, I felt that "distance" balls were basically for mid to high handicap players who just simply want an extra 10+ yards. They had no stopping power on the green, and you see it with a lot of players where the ball lands on the green, and rolls like another 10 yards into the back fringe. I feel like the RBZ is a "distance" ball that can be used by everyone, low to high handicap, whether its someone who needs the distance, or someone who already has the distance and just enjoys the pleasure of bombing their drives. And more importantly, its a "distance" ball that actually has stopping power. Ofcourse this is assuming the player has the ability to create spin on their shots

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

Nice review, I feel that your observations with the Lethal are spot on. I think the best TaylorMade ball to date, for my game. I have been curious about the RBZ U, but have always heard it compares more to the TP3 than the prior RBZ ball. The Chrome + still holds the top spot for me for 2013, but will be trying out the 2013 Pro V1x shortly. The Pro V1 line has always produced the best short-game results for me, it's just the part of getting there where they were just not at the top of the ranks.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1370493881' post='7179730']
Nice review, I feel that your observations with the Lethal are spot on. I think the best TaylorMade ball to date, for my game. I have been curious about the RBZ U, but have always heard it compares more to the TP3 than the prior RBZ ball. The Chrome + still holds the top spot for me for 2013, but will be trying out the 2013 Pro V1x shortly. The Pro V1 line has always produced the best short-game results for me, it's just the part of getting there where they were just not at the top of the ranks.
[/quote]

I never tried tried the TP3 so I cant say anything about it, but I did like the previous RBZ despite it's poor putting feel. Really does remind me of the Ultra 500 balls back in the day when I was still trying to break 100 lol.

The Lethal is a ball that has so many personalities to it, and all so different, which is why I think it will take more time to learn its characteristics, where you know exactly what you're getting from out of the ProV's. But once you get a feel for the ball, it really is a great ball. I forgot to mention the durability in my review, and I thought the Lethal had the best durability, which I didn't expect because I felt that the TP5 scuffed easily like the ProV1, which is expected from soft balls.
The ProV1x does have a tendency to have this color-change if the ball does last a while, and I felt that the RBZ kinda loses its shine and luster after a round. But TaylorMade really got it right with the Lethal. Entering the back 9 im looking at the ball and it still looks great. Doesnt look like I went 9 holes with them, but more like 3 or 4.

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

I literally hit 10-12 balls per shot today as I walked 9 holes at my course. I had switched over to the Chrome+ from the Lethal in search of more distance and after noticing the GD spin chart. It's just too hard for me...feel is certainly subjective but at the end of the day it comes down to confidence. If I am thinking about a clicky feel I am not thinking about my shot. My buddies are Titleist loyalists and have played their clubs and balls their entire lives.....I've never liked their clubs but often wondered how I would play using their balls. Glad I gave it a shot...

Driver - I've always watched my buddy's ball seem to just hang in the air longer and penetrate through the air.....until today, I kept hearing about how a few newer balls (Lethal, etc) just "penetrate through the wind." I'd never seen it until today but it was with the ProV1x. Longest drives of the day with this ball, even over the Chrome+. I impart above-average spin with my driver so I dont need any help...really liked the ball. Lethal a close second and my experience with Chrome+ is over.

Mid-irons - I dont work the ball on purpose. Similar to driver the ball just stayed on the line. Felt really good, too.

Short irons - again, feel prevailed here and that equates to confidence. ProV1x with Lethal a very close 2nd.

Short game - I chipped in from off the green on #2 and #9 and while that is uncommon it was a great feeling. I see the commercials for the ball about how it does what you want it to do. It does exactly that.

Putter - close call between Lethal and ProV1x. Too close to call but with everything above I am officially a TM ho switching to the ProV1x.

My only complaint is the durability of the ProV1x. It's pretty bad. If it helps me improve my scores I frankly dont care.

I have my M/G coming up next week along with a birthday in the middle of the week, Father's Day on the weekend and the US Open....going to be a banner week so I am hoping the ProV1x will help me with my scores.

This year I switched to the Lethal after years of using ProV1X (mostly) and ProV1 in colder weather. I'm 63, single digit and usually drive the ball 250-260 (as read off my GPS). The Lethal was usually (slightly) longer than ProV1X, and noticibly more so into headwinds. The Lethal is more durable too and I'm talking about the 2013 Titleist versions. The only place I saw the ProV1x beating the Lethal was mid-iron (5,6,7) spin into greens. They would stop a few feet quicker. Otherwise the Lethal and ProV1X seemed to be very close in spin on short iron and half wedge shots. What finally got me to go with the Lethal was the feel (softer than ProV1X) and durability.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1370557010' post='7184772']
This year I switched to the Lethal after years of using ProV1X (mostly) and ProV1 in colder weather. I'm 63, single digit and usually drive the ball 250-260 (as read off my GPS). The Lethal was usually (slightly) longer than ProV1X, and noticibly more so into headwinds. The Lethal is more durable too and I'm talking about the 2013 Titleist versions. The only place I saw the ProV1x beating the Lethal was mid-iron (5,6,7) spin into greens. They would stop a few feet quicker. Otherwise the Lethal and ProV1X seemed to be very close in spin on short iron and half wedge shots. What finally got me to go with the Lethal was the feel (softer than ProV1X) and durability.
[/quote]

Maybe it's the decreased driver spin that caught my attention today....I want to play the Lethal and won't discount it but I will certainly have to play the 1X again to see if today was just a fluke.

[/quote]

+1

Feels like I wrote this myself......

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='yahtzee' timestamp='1370570319' post='7186106']
[/quote]

Maybe it's the decreased driver spin that caught my attention today....I want to play the Lethal and won't discount it but I will certainly have to play the 1X again to see if today was just a fluke.
[/quote]

Did any of you guys experience the ProV1x not hopping relatively straight on 50-60 yard pitch shots?
Whenever I play the ProV1x, the ball always kicks left or right, sometimes as much as 90 degrees. This doesn't happen to me with other balls except the ProV1x.
I'll hit a wedge and the ball is going towards the pin, looks like it will end up being about 3 feet away from the cup on the right side, but as the ball lands, it kicks right and two more small hops before ball comes to a complete stop. So now I'm 6-7 feet away from the cup on the right side. Its great if the ball kicks closer to the cup, but I just find this kick to be unpredictable with the ProV1x

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

[/quote]This year I switched from Z-Stars, tried both 2013 Pro V1 and V1x, recently tried the Lethal after reading the posts on the site. I like the Pro V1x, I love the way the Lethal penetrates the air and overall feel. Both excellent balls, for me it's the Lethal but not by much.

Read this the other day and went out and bought some RBZ U's to try Wed night. I liked the TP3 last year but prefer the spin of the V1X, TP5, etc.

I seriously hit this ball a freaking mile. I'm no "big" hitter at ~280-285 off the tee; I think I'm longer than many guys that claim to hit it 300 but not as long as some (many) of the guys I play with in competitive events. All I know is that I hit two drives over 300 measured with my laser playing 9 holes and pulling driver 4 times. I was easily 15 yards father than normal on two drives, maybe 5 on one other, and the other was a bit of a miss high on the face. Real deal long ball that you can put in to play and hold greens with under soft conditions.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1370612788' post='7188324']
25-30 yards difference due to the ball alone??? wow
[/quote]

yup the RBZ was 25-30 yards longer than the ProV1, and about 10-15 yards longer than the ProV1x and Lethal.
Im not claiming that everyone will experience 25-30 yard gains on the RBZ vs the ProV1, cuz how much you gain will really depend on your swing and speed, but I am confident to say the RBZ will be noticeably farther. I gave a sleeve to one of the guys in my flight, and he was consistently hitting 10 yards farther with his RBZ 4 hybrid against his current ball.

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

Long time Penta/Tp5/Lethal user. Tryed the TP3 last year and stayed with the TP5. Have a dozen RBZ U for my Dad for Father's Day gift, he may end up with a tie!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='jihunyu' timestamp='1370417098' post='7172618']
Hello everyone, newbie here and this will be my first post, although not the first time on WRX.
I've been playing golf since 1989 and played with many different ball brands over the years. I believe that the ball doesnt really start improving your game unless your handicap is 13 or below. Anything above that is ball-striking and your swing. Been playing the ProV1x since it came out in 2003.

Just some quick info:

7 Handicapper

To give each ball a fair evaluation and comparison, I played 3 rounds of 18 holes with each ball on the same course.

[b]DRIVER and WOOD[/b]
Distance: Longest to shortest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] Lethal [b]3)[/b]Tie between TP5 and V1x [b]4)[/b] V1
Feel: Firm to softest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] V1x [b]3)[/b] TP5 [b]4)[/b] V1 [b]5)[/b] Lethal
Launch: Highest to lowest [b]1)[/b] Lethal [b]2)[/b] TP5 [b]3) [/b]V1 [b]4)[/b] RBZ U. [b]5)[/b] V1x

Not surprised here, the V1 is the shortest of the bunch with too much backspin. This is the reason why I ditched the V1 for the V1x back in 2003, and it really hasn't changed. The previous RBZ was the longest ball I've ever hit, and the RBZ urethane hasn't lost any of it.

On AVERAGE the RBZ was 25-30 yards longer than ProV1, and about 15 yards longer than the V1x. The V1 doesn't roll much, and in some cases, the ball moved back. Basically, a draw with the V1 would be the same distance as a fade on the RBZ.
I put the Lethal in second, but its not that much of a different between the TP5 and V1x, probably an average of 5 yards further.

In terms of feel, the RBZ is still extremely firm, and I dont think the urethane cover helped. Reminds me of the Ultra 500 distance balls of the early 90's. Some people may complain the RBZ is just way too firm, but I don't care because this ball is just a bomber and I actually like the firm feeling. Even off-center hits go far.

My only complaint with the Lethal is how much the ball would go right on slices. On any given round, I'll have a huge slicing drive on at least one of the holes. If there is no OB, you're lucky, cause this ball REALLY goes RIGHT. You slice this ball and it will probably be in the fairway on the next hole.

[b]Mid to Long Irons[/b]
Distance: Longest to shortest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] TP5, Lethal, V1x all tied [b]3)[/b] V1
Spin: Most to least [b]1)[/b] Tie between V1 and TP5 [b]2)[/b] V1x [b]3)[/b] Lethal [b]4)[/b] RBZ U

Just like the driver, the RBZ goes FAR! It launches high and you can just see it hang in the air longer. It is almost a club longer than the V1's. My playing partners all experienced the same with their hybrids too. Normally I'll hit my 7 iron about 165 yards with the V1, about 170 with the TP5, Lethal, V1x, but the RBZ goes 175. It didn't take long to adjust, after hitting 2 mid irons, I already knew I could use 1 club less with the RBZ.
For mid irons (6, 7, 8) the ball would be within a grip length for the V1 and TP5. The Lethal and V1x felt quite similar here. They both had a bit of rollout (no more than 3 feet). The RBZ stops extremely well for a distance ball, I'd say stopping ability is close with the V1x and Lethal.

[b]Full Short Iron and Wedge Shots[/b]

I really liked the V1x and Lethal in this department. I'm a high-spin player and never had a problem with spin, so the V1 and TP5 spin way too much for me since they have a tendency to zip back. I like my wedge shots to have a hop and stop instead of zipping back because I feel that its much easier to control distance that way, which is exactly what I got from the V1x and Lethal. The stopping power on the RBZ is not "wow', but good enough. It has some rollout, but the ball never was more than a putter's length away from its pitchmark.

[b]Half Wedge/ Pitch/ Chip shots[/b]

I feel that this is the only department where the ProV1 excels. I like how the ball skips and checks across the green, and the ball always has a soft landing. I like everything about the ProV1x, EXCEPT when it comes to pitch shots. Its not about the spin, but the way the ball kicks. I dont know about you guys, but on 30-50 yard pitch shots, the V1x never hops straight for me. It's not a big deal, but its annoying. Just when it looks like the ball is going straight to the pin, the ball would kick either left or right about 45 degrees (unpredictable which direction it is going to be). I cant figure out what it is, but Im gonna have to give it to the V1,TP5, and Lethal here. I could see the TP5 spins more consistently than the Lethal, but both felt great like the V1x, only it kicks and rolls forward.

This is where last year's RBZ performed very poorly, and it took some time getting used to the distance and rollout. and its not that much better with the urethane. Not really a problem if you have a lot of green to work with, but gets quite tricky when you're in the rough 20 yards away from the pin behind a bunker, and the pin is only 2-3 yards from the fringe, with a downhill sloping green. Requires a lot of practice to get a good judgement of the feel and power, and even though you'll get used to it, you will still miss the spin that the other balls generate.

[b]Putting[/b]

Hands down, the Lethal is the best ball here. Its the best ball i've ever used to the putt with. Its hard to describe the feel. It's soft, yet firm at the same time, where I felt the V1 has always been too soft. A lot of times I would leave putts short with the V1 because its just so soft, and would be the opposite with the V1x and RBZ, quite firm and on the "clicky" side.
I felt that the urethane cover on the RBZ didn't do much on the drivers and irons. But this is where I can feel a big improvement compared to last year's RBZ. Last year's RBZ was super clicky and just didnt feel great for putting. The RBZ urethane feels much softer.

[b]Conclusion[/b]

If price wasn't a factor, I would still pick the ProV1x to play with. But considering that I have a tendency to lose about 2-3 balls per round, whether its from OB, water hazards (the course has water on 10 of its 18 holes), or just simply not being able to find my ball in a bush, the ball that I will be using for 2013 is the [b]RBZ Urethane[/b]. At the end of the day, I think we all should pick the ball that we feel most comfortable in, a ball that can give us the confidence, and most importantly, which ball you score the best with.
In the 15 rounds I played, the best scores came from the RBZ, and the worst scores surprisingly came from the Lethal.
Don't get me wrong, the Lethal is an awesome ball if you break down its performance one by one...heck...every ball is good if you strike it well. So being an amateur weekend golfer, its not about which ball I like when struck well, but which ball I like when hit off-center, which help keep our scores low.

[/quote]

Why do some pro's like Adam Scott use a Pro V1 instead of the Pro V1X? I am pretty sure if there was 10 yards difference he would change balls.

[quote name='bigbutch' timestamp='1370704575' post='7195256']

Just some quick info:

7 Handicapper

[b]DRIVER and WOOD[/b]
Distance: Longest to shortest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] Lethal [b]3)[/b]Tie between TP5 and V1x [b]4)[/b] V1
Feel: Firm to softest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] V1x [b]3)[/b] TP5 [b]4)[/b] V1 [b]5)[/b] Lethal
Launch: Highest to lowest [b]1)[/b] Lethal [b]2)[/b] TP5 [b]3) [/b]V1 [b]4)[/b] RBZ U. [b]5)[/b] V1x

[b]Mid to Long Irons[/b]
Distance: Longest to shortest [b]1)[/b] RBZ U. [b]2)[/b] TP5, Lethal, V1x all tied [b]3)[/b] V1
Spin: Most to least [b]1)[/b] Tie between V1 and TP5 [b]2)[/b] V1x [b]3)[/b] Lethal [b]4)[/b] RBZ U

[b]Putting[/b]

[b]Conclusion[/b]

If price wasn't a factor, I would still pick the ProV1x to play with. But considering that I have a tendency to lose about 2-3 balls per round, whether its from OB, water hazards (the course has water on 10 of its 18 holes), or just simply not being able to find my ball in a bush, the ball that I will be using for 2013 is the [b]RBZ Urethane[/b]. At the end of the day, I think we all should pick the ball that we feel most comfortable in, a ball that can give us the confidence, and most importantly, which ball you score the best with.

[/quote]

Why do some pro's like Adam Scott use a Pro V1 instead of the Pro V1X? I am pretty sure if there was 10 yards difference he would change balls.
[/quote]

Because he's more concerned about what happens around the green with the V1.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='bigbutch' timestamp='1370704575' post='7195256']

Just some quick info:

7 Handicapper

[b]DRIVER and WOOD[/b]

[b]Mid to Long Irons[/b]

[b]Putting[/b]

[b]Conclusion[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...and 10 yards is nothing to them

[quote name='jihunyu' timestamp='1370624848' post='7190018']
[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1370612788' post='7188324']
25-30 yards difference due to the ball alone??? wow
[/quote]

yup the RBZ was 25-30 yards longer than the ProV1, and about 10-15 yards longer than the ProV1x and Lethal.
Im not claiming that everyone will experience 25-30 yard gains on the RBZ vs the ProV1, cuz how much you gain will really depend on your swing and speed, but I am confident to say the RBZ will be noticeably farther. I gave a sleeve to one of the guys in my flight, and he was consistently hitting 10 yards farther with his RBZ 4 hybrid against his current ball.
[/quote]

I haven't posted on here for a while because of a similar statement that I made about the Gamer Tour. Gonna give it one more shot. I played the Gamer V2 exclusively from the time it was released until the Dick's versions came out. I bought a dozen Gamer Tours and lost 30 yards of distance with certain clubs as compared to the V2. I guess others didn't get the same results so the stereotypical "troll" attitude came out accusing me of having a 215 MPH swing speed or hitting shanks. I really detest that attitude that seems to be prevalent on almost any site you frequent these days and takes the enjoyment out of the site.

Anyway, I have played the RBZ-U for the past few months and it is a very good ball. Great distance, control, spin, and accuracy. I have had a sleeve of Lethal's for a few weeks and will be trying those out soon.

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1370446433' post='7174376']
nice write up...did you use 2013 prov1s for the test? i think the new prov1 is longer for high-spin players, especially into and through crosswinds
[/quote]
I agree. The 2013 ProV1 (not X) is a great improvement over past models for high-spin players. I bought a box just to try out (I'll always do this when a new PV model comes out, just to say I've tried them) and I am very impressed with their performance off the driver and especially off the irons (good feel and distance and the right amount of spin).

Did you use the 2013 ProV1? I believe they are longer for high spin/launch players. I switched from the 2011 X to the 2013 ProV1 model because I got more control with them & got the same distance as the 2011X. Great review!!

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* Tour ADDI 6X
Titleist 915 F 15* Tour ADBB 7X
Titleist 712U 2i Projext X PXI 6.5
Titleist 716 CB KBS C-Taper S+
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-56-60
Taylormade OS CB 36"

[quote name='GeeGees12' timestamp='1370965293' post='7213926']
Did you use the 2013 ProV1? I believe they are longer for high spin/launch players. I switched from the 2011 X to the 2013 ProV1 model because I got more control with them & got the same distance as the 2011X. Great review!!
[/quote]

I did use the 2013 ProV1, and I mentioned they have some improvements, but for some reason I was disappointed with the TOTAL driving distance. Maybe its because I had really high expectations, or the distance I got from the RBZ U. just blew me away, or a combination of both. I remember on one of the par 4's that was 450 yards, it goes uphill and slightly back down. The crest is about a 280 yard carry, and if you can get there, you will get a ton of roll. With all the balls I tried, all of them was able to reach the crest, so I was able to see the ball land, then disappear as it rolled down the slope. With the RBZ, the ball would be about 110 yards from the green. But with the ProV1, it was about 140 yards away. So my conclusion is that the ProV1 doesn't roll as much as the RBZ. Is that a bad thing? I would argue that its a good thing, because the ProV1 is safer ball. If it lands on the fairway, chances are it will stay in it.
In terms of driving distance, it's not a big deal for me. In terms of priorities, I look at characteristics of mid iron to short iron shots first, driving second, and then chipping and putting. The backspin on the ProV1 was too much for me, the ProV1x and Lethal was just right on short irons, and the RBZ definitely could use a bit more spin.
Another thing about the ProV1 is I feel that you have to be VERY aggressive when it comes to chips and short pitch shots. Because it generates so much spin, I think you have to attack the pin, or you will leave your shot short. I like to give some runway space because mentally I am not comfortable with trying to attack the pin. It's ok if you can do that consistently, but once in a while I will hit a chip thin (not to the point I'm topping or skulling it) and the ball will just blow by the hole.

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

[quote name='GeeGees12' timestamp='1370965293' post='7213926']
[/quote]

and one more thing I wanna mention is if you have a REALLY good short game, I definitely would recommend the ProV1. I think most people could agree that the ProV1 is one of the best, if not the best ball when it comes to short game.
If I had to breakdown my game, I'd say im a 8 handicapper when it comes driving, a 5 for irons, and 15 for putting and chipping. There are days when I hit 78 because of good ball striking, and it felt like I should have scored better. And there are days when I hit 78 but felt like 85 because my shots were off but my putting saved my butt. I'd prefer the first case, knowing that I have two putts to par, rather than having the pressure to one-chip and one-putt.

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

I enjoyed this thread. I am a 12 handicapper, (avg drive 250) play with PV1X normally and wanted to compare the RBZU based on the info here. so this weekend I played the from 9 with the RBZU and the back nine with PV1X. The RBZ felt a bit dead of the club and wold not hold greens at all for me. I am back with the PV1X. I did bomb a drive on the back 271 and that is very large for me.