Olympia Fields Guest Policies

jchungum ·  
jchungumjchungum Go Blue!Members  82WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9.9Posts: 82 Fairways
I am playing Olympia Fields with a member and two other guests. I've played once before, and I never found any guest policies online. I referenced other private course policies and used my best judgement the last time I played there. Does anyone know of any guest policies at Olympia Fields? For those that are familiar with the club, any hints on dress code (shorts allowed?), locker room rules, tipping caddies/shoe polishers/etc., gate entrance, or anything else that might be useful for those not fortunate enough to belong to a private club like Olympia Fields?
Posted:

Comments

• TheBoomer TheBoomer Members  3424WRX Points: 167Posts: 3,424 Titanium Tees
    Pretty standard private club rules.

Shorts allowed

NO CARGO SHORTS

Shirts tucked in at all times

Hat on the right way

Cell phone on silent

Put your shoes on in the locker room

Hat off in the dining room
    Posted:
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jchungumjchungum Go Blue! Members  82WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9.9Posts: 82 Fairways

Pretty standard private club rules.

Shorts allowed

NO CARGO SHORTS

Shirts tucked in at all times

Hat on the right way

Cell phone on silent

Put your shoes on in the locker room

Hat off in the dining room

What about tipping? bag drop off/pick up. Shoe guy? Locker Room attendant?

As for caddies, the last time I was there, our host/member "paid" for the caddies. But I still felt obligated to tip the caddie anyway.
    Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6657WRX Points: 612Posts: 6,657 Titanium Tees
    I had the pleasure of playing there last fall and it was awesome. It was in the fall so they perhaps things had wound down and weren't in full swing but I'll give what info I can.

Gate - Just tell them who you're a guest of and perhaps when you're playing and they should let you without a problem.

Bag Drop - Up to you

IIRC, there was no shoe guy or locker room attendant. For some reason I remember bringing my shoes in to change into them.

Caddy - I wasn't sure of the policy as I've played at places that approach this differently, so asked the member I played with mid-round what their policy was. We had 1 forecaddie for our 4-some, and we each gave $20 I think on the 18th green. I'd ask your member what they recommend.

Dress Code - Don't remember, I'm sure you can call to ask. I would think it's standard atire rules, don't know about shorts, but I'd think they'd allow that. If you're unsure, err on the safe side. Do all you can to not make the member look bad.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful course with some great history. Are you playing the North or the South?
    Posted:
  • mfloresmflores ChicagolandMembers  1426WRX Points: 55Handicap: 4Posts: 1,426 BST Banned
    Shorts are definitely allowed. The member will most likely have you housed in a members locker(who is not there that day) or an open locker.

There is a shoe guy there at most times, feel free to drop your shoes off after you change before grabbing a drink or food and they'll have them back on top of your locker when you get back - tip is appropriate.

If one of the bag guys is cleaning your clubs after the round - tip them

Ask the member if you could chip in for the tip for the caddies and let them deal with it. he/she will most likely be tipping them.

It's a pretty laid back place so just enjoy yourself and loosen up and you'll have a great time. Both courses are awesome
    Posted:
    G400 Max Ad DI 7
    M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
    Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
    Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
    Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
    Scotty Cameron X7M
  • jchungumjchungum Go Blue! Members  82WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9.9Posts: 82 Fairways
    VNutz wrote:

Have a great time, it's a beautiful course with some great history. Are you playing the North or the South?

North...it'll be my second time.
    Posted:
  • CPSOXCPSOX Members  489WRX Points: 56Posts: 489 Greens
    Gate - just tell them who you're playing with.

Tipping - yes, it's a tipping club. A few bucks here and there, nothing over the top

Shoes - bring them into the locker room. A guest locker will be provided, or you'll use the member's locker....they're big. Give shoe guy $5 for a shine.

Dress code - shorts are fine, no cargos. Collared shirts, tucked in.

No hats inside dining areas, locker room is fine

Caddies - the member has the option to change the caddie tip back to his/her account. You can pay for your entire caddie fee in cash, it does NOT have to be charged back. Simply a convenience for the member. $70-$85 depending on what level looper you get if they carry, $20 per person if it's a forecaddie.

Other than that, our club is pretty laid back.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Thanks for the tips guys!
    Posted:
  • asommers14asommers14 Members  237WRX Points: 0Posts: 237
    I have always wanted to play Olympia Fields! I will be in the area this September I hope that I can find a way on the course.
    Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  863WRX Points: 244Handicap: 14Posts: 863 Golden Tee

Looks like I might be a guest at OF in 2020.

Any advice on a good area to stay between OF and the airport? Currently looking at a hotel in Lombard.

Being on the Southside is it in the baddest part of town?? (Sorry!)

Posted:
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1269WRX Points: 203Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,269 Platinum Tees

I won’t hide the fact that I am envious.

Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6657WRX Points: 612Posts: 6,657 Titanium Tees

All depends on which airport. If you're looking Lombard I'm assuming it's the Yorktown area you're flying out of O'Hare. The Lombard hotels would be a fine choice with plenty of food and stuff around, but you can certainly get closer to Olympia if you want, should be 30-45 minutes from there, perhaps more with traffic. There are TONS of options around elsewhere depending on what you want around you.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  863WRX Points: 244Handicap: 14Posts: 863 Golden Tee

I will be staying in Chicago one night after playing OF then driving North to Wisconsin to meet my buddies next day so prefer to be on the North side of OF. Lombard sounds fine - all I will want is a sports bar or somewhere to eat, which I might even do at OF if they allow guests to do that.

Posted:
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1428WRX Points: 260Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,428 Platinum Tees

OFCC is not as prosperous of an area as it was 30-40 years ago, but certainly not real south side of Chicago crime area. If you can fly into Midway which is significantly closer and you won't have to drive into the city. There are rooms above the clubhouse, which are 3 star rooms and nothing special, but nice to be on site IMO. Clubhouse is nice and I enjoy the food offerings. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Posted:

We fly into ORD from SFO about 3pm on a Thursday, so the plan would be to immediately drive to Lombard, stay there overnight, play Olympia Fields Friday, back to Lombard and checkout Saturday morning.

Posted:
  • jsheljshel Members  661WRX Points: 114Posts: 661 Golden Tee

Chanceman,

I would go for a different hotel each night if you truly want something low key the night before the round.

Go from ORD and drive to Tinley Park. There are a bunch of hotels at I-80 and Harlem Ave. There's a B-Dubs right there and there is brewery called Hailstorm within 5 minutes. Tinley leaves you 10-15 minutes from OFCC.

The next day, you can play and then drive further north. Go as far as you want.

Your stuff is safe in your car at Olympia Fields as there's a gate to get in.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
    3W: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (3+)
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2
    Irons: PXG XF Gen 2 Steelfiber shafts
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 54, 58
    Putter: Cameron & Crown Fastback

Still working on the schedule but sounds like a plan! I also want to fit in a quick visit to the Frank lloyd Wright site which appears to be in between.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members  1797WRX Points: 391Posts: 1,797 Platinum Tees

If you take this advice and end up at Hailstorm, I highly suggest walking or driving around the corner to Soundgrowler and grabbing some tacos from them first and then take them over to Hailstorm!

Posted:

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

Posted:
  • cpeck12cpeck12 Lefty Boomers  516WRX Points: 74Posts: 516 Golden Tee

Westin Lombard is a nice option. It's where a lot of the players stayed for the 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah (rates are reasonable). Harry Caray's is on the bottom level, so you have a good sports bar in the same building. Also a handful of options less than 5min away- Brick House Tavers, Miller's Ale House, and Hooters. PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy are also less than 5min away.

Posted:

Titleist 917D3
    Titleist 917F2 3w
    Titleist 818 H1
    Titleist T100 5-PW
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i
    Vokey SM6 52*, 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.