Single Digit handicappers gaming the Cleveland 588 TT irons?

I am currently gaming the Wilson Staff Ci11 irons and like them but I cannot get the 588 TT irons out of my head...everytime I go to the golf store I look at them and I subscribe to various threads about them...I have played Cleveland irons in the past and love their wedges (see sig) and I also like Srixon balls...

So my question is for single digit handicappers and are any of you playing the 588 TT irons and what is your feedback

I am a 7.5 (been as low as a 6.3) and I am 6'4 and play a high fade on my full swing...I like my ball flight to be straight to a slight fade and do not care about working the ball right to left as a draw just does not fit my eye....thanks for any response I get that can help me decide what to do...I am such a HO!

:smilie_cleve:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ThirdCut' timestamp='1372431542' post='7341522']
Gorgeous clubs. Try them!! See if you can find a demo 6 iron to take out on the course, or hit in the store. I don't think you should have too much trouble with them as long as you have the proper shaft.
[/quote]
Exactly. Just try one out. I can tell you that my blades are gorgeous but that doesn't mean they'll work for you and your swing/eyes.
Only one way for you to find out if you'll like them...

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

Gorgeous clubs. Try them!! See if you can find a demo 6 iron to take out on the course, or hit in the store. I don't think you should have too much trouble with them as long as you have the proper shaft.
[/quote]

[size=5]Thanks for the reply and [size=5]I have hit them with the stock shafts in a simulator [/size]but what I was looking for as an example...has anyone reshafted them as I am sure most low handicap players may not want the 85 gram stock shafts? And then how did they play with heavier or stiffer shafts...things like that is what I was hoping to get a response on???[/size]

[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff

they are very nice looking, be mindful the shafts are all 1/2 inch longer then normal and they are strong lofted. So if you are hitting them a mile....

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='KoKo2' timestamp='1372691580' post='7362226']
[/quote]

[size=5]Thanks for the reply and [size=5]I have hit them with the stock shafts in a simulator [/size]but what I was looking for as an example...has anyone reshafted them as I am sure most low handicap players may not want the 85 gram stock shafts? And then how did they play with heavier or stiffer shafts...things like that is what I was hoping to get a response on???[/size]
[/quote]

Playing a 9.2 currently but have always been between a 7 and 9 historically. I've had mine since near their release. Like some, the stocks shafts were not the best fit for me. I re-shafted them twice to get the right combo (using shafts I've been fit for previously). My first attempt were some Nippons and building them to traditional lengths. They never really felt right. So I went to my usual graphite option in the Steelfiber i80's. I built them to the standard length for the 588 TTs in graphite. I was pleasantly surprised they hit a D3 swing weight right on. As for performance, they've been great. The SF is consistent yet gives me the benefits of graphite (which I need because of injuries). For anyone looking, I'd suggest as has been said....grab a longer term demo and see for yourself. They are not as forgiving as one might think but do provide a little help where needed. I eventually demo'ed and then built up a 588 MT in a longer iron to replace a TT. They have a nice combo thing going with these 588's.

The stock shafts weren't really for me, but the heads are really nice in their feel.
I'd like to try them with some different shafts, but haven't gotten around to that.
I didn't care for the playing length of the long irons. The lengths were pretty close in the short irons to my usual length when ordered +1/4", but the long irons just got too long for me, even at 6'2". I know longer, lighter is supposed to up distance, but it does nothing for accuracy.
Nice heads, but itching to try different shafts. And wondering where the trajectory will go if I went too low launch/spin. Strong lofts. The stock shafts and COG help ge them in the air, so they might hit on a rope with a shaft too low-launching. Was actually thinking of something along the lines of a Nippon 1050GH in them. Heavier, but still has some height to the launch.

A buddy of mine just got them a couple weeks ago and loves them. He is a 4 handi and is a solid ball striker. I hit them and thought they felt solid, but they had R300 shafts and I play X stiff so the feel was off for me.

Try them out! Handicap shouldn't dictate your club decisions!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

• 3 months later...

[quote name='40simguy' timestamp='1372729420' post='7367478']
Playing a 9.2 currently but have always been between a 7 and 9 historically. I've had mine since near their release. Like some, the stocks shafts were not the best fit for me. I re-shafted them twice to get the right combo (using shafts I've been fit for previously). My first attempt were some Nippons and building them to traditional lengths. They never really felt right. So I went to my usual graphite option in the Steelfiber i80's. I built them to the standard length for the 588 TTs in graphite. I was pleasantly surprised they hit a D3 swing weight right on. As for performance, they've been great. The SF is consistent yet gives me the benefits of graphite (which I need because of injuries). For anyone looking, I'd suggest as has been said....grab a longer term demo and see for yourself. They are not as forgiving as one might think but do provide a little help where needed. I eventually demo'ed and then built up a 588 MT in a longer iron to replace a TT. They have a nice combo thing going with these 588's.
[/quote]

Hey thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay getting back as I took some time off (due to injuries)...glad you found a shaft that works for you and that uis my delimma with trying these irons is that I dotn want to order a set and not like them...anyway I am now back to golf and I recently put the RBZ Tour irons in the bag as I have decided I am a KBS guy forever...I had not had clubs with KBS shafts in them fro a while and simply forgot how much I love the way theses shafts feel. Anyway I still have my eye on the 588TT irons but I would think I would want them with KBS Tour 90 shafts to keep the ball flight where it needs to be with such strong lofts and now that I will only play KBS but not sure exactly how they would play or feel...was hoping someone would have tried it and could respond here...maybe I will just have my club guy order me a 7 iron built with the KBS Tour 90 shaft and see how I like it??? What do you think?

KBS Tour 90 is REALLY soft compared to the KBS Tours. I think the KBS Tour 90 S is close to regular, if not a touch softer.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've since had my set re-shafted with KBS Tours. Just one round on them since the re-shaft and they played pretty well. It was fairly windy that day, and one thing I noted was how strong the flight was into the wind, but downwind, I felt like they launch a little low with the strong lofts. I managed a 78 that day with them. Almost got home in two on our 570 par 5 9th in two with the TT 4i. I've been gaming S-56's a lot and have found making the switch from that set to a more GI-oriented set was a big step. For now, I'm back to the S-56's as they've just treated me too well.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/10553-mr-divots/"][color="#353535"]mr_divots[/color][/url] did you use .355 kbs and also shims when you put the new shafts in,as finding the standard shafts a bit to soft for me

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1381333926' post='7975825']
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/10553-mr-divots/"][color=#353535]mr_divots[/color][/url] did you use .355 kbs and also shims when you put the new shafts in,as finding the standard shafts a bit to soft for me
[/quote]

He may have but KBS Tour also come in .370 parallel shafts so they would fit right into the [color=#0000ff]588 TT [/color]irons...that is what I am thinking about doing BUT per the KBS Tour website the parallel shafts seem to be heavier than the tapered (Tapered stiff = 120 grams, Parallel stiff = 130 grams) and I really dont want to play a 130 gram shaft again (DGS)...

[quote name='7464' timestamp='1381334240' post='7975849']
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/10553-mr-divots/"][color=#353535]mr_divots[/color][/url] did you use .355 kbs and also shims when you put the new shafts in,as finding the standard shafts a bit to soft for me
[/quote]

He may have but KBS Tour also come in .370 parallel shafts so they would fit right into the [color=#0000ff]588 TT [/color]irons...that is what I am thinking about doing BUT per the KBS Tour website the parallel shafts seem to be heavier than the tapered (Tapered stiff = 120 grams, Parallel stiff = 130 grams) and I really dont want to play a 130 gram shaft again (DGS)...
[/quote]

That 130g is at 43" long. The 120 in tapered stiff is at a considerably shorter length. Once trimmed to playing length, KBS Tour parallel shafts would be under 120g, according to data published in DSFI.

It's quite possible the parallel shafts would be lighter than the tapered shafts, once they're both installed and cut to playing length.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[/quote]
I went with .370 since that is what the heads are, and I liked being able to have them cut to 6.0 flex in the parallel shafts.
.370 shafts are all one length "blanks" when you get them. When cut, they are no longer 130 grams a piece. I had the clubmaker do a MOI match to them so that they all feel the same throughout the set.

There is another nice 588TT thread that's worth a look for those wanting more info on these excellent clubs. Repeating myself here but...love the clubs. A member here sold me a set of 588TT heads, which I've subsequently assembled with TT DG Pro S300 shafts at conventional length (37.75" 5-iron). Bent the lofts 1 degree weak throughout the set to more closely align with my other set (Ping G25's), and my handicap is currently 6.8.

These heads provide a lot of feedback. Off center strikes sound clunky and transmit some vibration to your hands, but the ball flies nicely toward target regardless. Center strikes feel super soft, and sound muted. Trajectory for me is medium.

Love the head profile. Shortl iron heads are smaller than the long irons, and the offset is medium-low by modern standards for irons this forgiving (quite a bit less than Ping G25 for example). Nice clubs, that are just begging for a little customization.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

thanks I thought the .370 kbs would of stayed at 130 grams but if not wil pick some of them up

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]

I strongly recommend .370 Rifle Project X for the 588 TT's. I am also playing mine at the Cleveland stock Traction 85 shaft length, (38.5" 5-iron).

Liking them quite a bit so far...may soon become my gamers!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1381334525' post='7975875']
[quote name='7464' timestamp='1381334240' post='7975849']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That 130g is at 43" long. The 120 in tapered stiff is at a considerably shorter length. Once trimmed to playing length, KBS Tour parallel shafts would be under 120g, according to data published in DSFI.

It's quite possible the parallel shafts would be lighter than the tapered shafts, once they're both installed and cut to playing length.
[/quote]

You know I have wondered about that as one time I ordered irons with the parallel shafts and thought they would be heavier but when I weighed them against a tapered set they were actually lighter...but I get your point...then I am going to look at the 588 TT with the KBS Tour, stiff shafts very soon...thanks.

Maybe the most underrated clubs in a long time. I have a set with KBS Tour S shafts and they are easily in the top three best iron sets I've ever owned.

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Timeless TT Circle T

Pro V1

DSCN2186_zps7022e21b.jpg

mr_divots,

Sweet pictures and thank for sharing...and just wondering why the 3 & 4 iron you went with graphite?

But man I am really thinking about getting these irons ASAP...dont get me wrong as the RBZ Tour (see sig) r very nice irons but I use to play Cleveland irons (TA3, CG1, etc...) and just have not like the line until now...dang these threads...now I am going to have to call my club guy and see what he can do (dont expect much of a trade for the RBZ) but may just have to take the leap anyway???

[quote name='7464' timestamp='1381492887' post='7985983']

Sweet pictures and thank for sharing...and just wondering why the 3 & 4 iron you went with graphite?

But man I am really thinking about getting these irons ASAP...dont get me wrong as the RBZ Tour (see sig) r very nice irons but I use to play Cleveland irons (TA3, CG1, etc...) and just have not like the line until now...dang these threads...now I am going to have to call my club guy and see what he can do (dont expect much of a trade for the RBZ) but may just have to take the leap anyway???

[/quote] ive had the RBZ tours and they dont touch these for feel or distance,but get the right shafts in them as the standard shafts are to long and to light IMO

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1381504657' post='7986931']
ive had the RBZ tours and they dont touch these for feel or distance,but get the right shafts in them as the standard shafts are to long and to light IMO
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback...I will only play KBS Tour so I would defintiely have them re-shafted...sorry if that makes me sound real particular but I have been hoing a lot for the last two years and have tried pretty much every shaft (DG, Nippon, KBS Tour, C-Taper, Tour 90, TX Flighted, Project X 5.5, Project X 95, etc....) and I am a KBS Tour, stiff guy...those shafts in whatever iron I have ever owned just play and feel the way I see the game...period.

And on the stock length of the 588 TT irons...I love it as I am 6'4 and usually play +1/4 or +1/2 so I can play them at stock length... also I love swinging a 3 iron versus a hybrid so the stock length of the 588 TT 3 iron will fit perfectly in my bag...man I have got to get my club guy on the phone...LOL

DSCN2186_zps7022e21b.jpg

mr_divots,

I had those UST shafts in some other hybrds that I ended up not really caring for the heads. The lofts are pretty strong on the MT heads, and the TourSPX Red 100 is a higher launch shaft, so I figured the extra height would be beneficial and decided to try them in the MT's. I saw you mentioned a TT 3 iron. There may be such an animal, but I've only seen 4-GW sets in the TT's. The MT's are a little more hybrid/driving iron like, which are the 3 & 4 you see with the graphite.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1381506069' post='7987067']
I had those UST shafts in some other hybrds that I ended up not really caring for the heads. The lofts are pretty strong on the MT heads, and the TourSPX Red 100 is a higher launch shaft, so I figured the extra height would be beneficial and decided to try them in the MT's. I saw you mentioned a TT 3 iron. There may be such an animal, but I've only seen 4-GW sets in the TT's. The MT's are a little more hybrid/driving iron like, which are the 3 & 4 you see with the graphite.
[/quote]

Sounds good and a nice move with the shafts...so your 3 & 4 iron r MT's? I guess the bottoms look similar between the TT and MT per your pictures?

Oh and Cleveland does offer a 3 iron in the TT...u just dont see them on the shelf anywhere but it can be ordered...thanks again for the feedback

[quote name='7464' timestamp='1381507124' post='7987191']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1381506069' post='7987067']
[/quote]

Sounds good and a nice move with the shafts...so your 3 & 4 iron r MT's? I guess the bottoms look similar between the TT and MT per your pictures?

Oh and Cleveland does offer a 3 iron in the TT...u just dont see them on the shelf anywhere but it can be ordered...thanks again for the feedback
[/quote]
Have the TT 4i, and then the MT 4 & 3 as well. (See the two 4's in the pics.)

Played a course yesterday that was surprisingly wet for how dry its been up here and was wishing I had these along for the ride. The wider soles may have helped save a few shots. Might have to give them a go again this weekend, as it's getting colder now and I planned on playing these when my multiple layers of clothing started making it harder to swing. LOL!