Golf Course Accidents and Injuries - or close calls

Fortunately, I don't hear about many golf course injuries. But with motorized carts, alcohol, clubs swinging at over 100 mph and balls flying around at over 150 mph there are bound to be a few horror stories or close calls out there.

Tell me the worst you've seen. Here's mine -

A few ys ago, I was playing Cassique at Kiawah and hit a maintenance dood on a mower with a drive, but he had a thick jacket on and was okay. However, the next hole has a 20 foot elevated tee box and my buddy was taking practice swings with a Titleist driver when his club head flew off and nearly KO'd me. It buzzed right by my head and left ear in an instant. It went sailing 50+ yards off into the brush below. We found it but it almost ended my day, at the least. I'd have been in the hospital had it hit me in the head.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy stabbed another golfer in the leg with a broken shaft during a fight, he almost bled out on the course. They care flighted him to an ER. It was all over the news in the DFW area.

I took my wife (gf at the time) to the driving range, she was to my right and I shanked one into her ankle. She dropped like a sack of potatoes and started to hold her ankle. It swelled up to the size of a baseball and turned blue/purple. Not sure why she still married me :)

[quote name='AudiHeel' timestamp='1373310326' post='7410642']
Fortunately, I don't hear about many golf course injuries. But with motorized carts, alcohol, clubs swinging at over 100 mph and balls flying around at over 150 mph there are bound to be a few horror stories or close calls out there.

Tell me the worst you've seen. Here's mine -

A few ys ago, I was playing Cassique at Kiawah and hit a maintenance dood on a mower with a drive, but he had a thick jacket on and was okay. However, the next hole has a 20 foot elevated tee box and my buddy was taking practice swings with a Titleist driver when his club head flew off and nearly KO'd me. It buzzed right by my head and left ear in an instant. It went sailing 50+ yards off into the brush below. We found it but it almost ended my day, at the least. I'd have been in the hospital had it hit me in the head.
[/quote]

A buddy and I were playing a course that had almost no trees and two par 4's that ran parallel to each other, but in opposite directions (think 1 and 18 at St. Andrews but not nearly as nice). We were on the tee on one hole and another group was coming up the fairway of the adjacent hole. My buddy tees off and just flat hits an over the top pull that is screaming right at the twosome in a cart. My buddy and I both yell fore immediately, but the ball was on them two quickly for them to react. It entered the cart but somehow missed them both and hit one guy's clubs right behind his head. All four of us just stopped in our tracks. The ball didn't hit anyone, but if it had it would have been REALLY ugly and maybe deadly.

My buddy was shaking so bad he couldn't swing the club anymore. He went over and apologized and we just went back to the clubhouse.

That leg out of the cart thing scares the heck out of me. I think I'll stop doing it.....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

In junior golf, the team we were playing against had a girl playing number one (she was waaaay better than any of us) and a guy playing number two. After the match the two started arguing and then came to blows on the practice putting green while the girl's [b][i]parents[/i][/b] were cheering her on. She beat the guy up pretty good. My team was in awe of what had just occurred.

She ended up getting a scholarship to go to a DIII school to play.

It is still probably the number one craziest thing I have ever seen on a golf course. The second is the old couple parked next to me at the 2000 Masters having sex in their car during the Saturday rain delay.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1373313635' post='7411052']
Some guy stabbed another golfer in the leg with a broken shaft during a fight, he almost bled out on the course. They care flighted him to an ER. It was all over the news in the DFW area.

I took my wife (gf at the time) to the driving range, she was to my right and I shanked one into her ankle. She dropped like a sack of potatoes and started to hold her ankle. It swelled up to the size of a baseball and turned blue/purple. Not sure why she still married me :)
[/quote]

How does this not have 100 likes by now???? Great post CosmosMpower seriously, laughing my a$$ off!

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

[color=#282828]^ I was laughing but didn't want to say it :)[/color]

[color=#282828]I went to practice at the city muni 2 weeks ago. They got a new practice area recently.[/color]
[color=#282828]Gun fight broke out next to the parking lot.[/color]
[color=#282828]Dood got shot in the foot. Cops, choppers etc everywhere. [/color]

[quote name='AudiHeel' timestamp='1373324449' post='7412292']
[color=#282828]^ I was laughing but didn't want to say it :)[/color]

[color=#282828]I went to practice at the city muni 2 weeks ago. They got a new practice area recently.[/color]
[color=#282828]Gun fight broke out next to the parking lot.[/color]
[color=#282828]Dood got shot in the foot. Cops, choppers etc everywhere. [/color]
[/quote]

Holy hell! Sounds like South Central! Nothing better than dodging stray bullets while working on your takeaway

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

Let's see, where do I start. Dad's friend ricocheted a 5 iron off a tree and smashed his fronts out. I drove a cart off into ditch at pretty much full speed down hill thanks to mud & wet grass and catapulted my teammate out of the front of the cart causing him to hit his shin on the front dash and leaving an orange-sized contusion and sidelining him for 2 weeks. Got hit into from the hack behind us and had a ball skip off my teammate's bill of his hat mid flight. My son got flipped out of a golf cart when he stood up while said cart was going over rough asphalt and ground down his knees and palms. And...

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X

this past week, i was at a public course and someone needed to be taken to the hospital, he was unconscious after being hit in the head with a golf ball....

scary stuff, i try to avoid playing courses where a lot of fairways run parallel to each other for that reason

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My buddy was driving a cart down a hill way too fast when I told him he had just passed his ball. He slammed the brakes as we entered a turn in the cart path. We started sliding sideways and the cart flipped onto its side. I hit the cart path pretty hard and he crashed on top of me. Luckily, we were both ok. A few years later, a guy was killed in the same spot. I think he was standing in the cart and fell backwards out the windshield and was run over. Makes me think about how lucky we were not to get hurt.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

My brother rarely plays. When I took him months ago, it was to get him out of the house. I was on the green, he was playing a ball some 30 yards away. I hand him an iron, and wish him good luck. I walk up to my ball, and see the shadow of his ball flying over my shoulder. Needless to say, he made me proud.
The other one was with my friends, it was 17th hole, end of day, after work. He was lazy, we were buzzing, he climbed on the back of the cart to get a ride to his. We swerved, he fell. He was sore for a few days, nothing big.

TM M5 Graffaloy Bimatrix Pink Stiff
Random 3W
Random (4-5H)
6-A XHot w SpeedStep 85 Stiff
Haywood 54 and 60
Piretti

My first year of golf, I was paired with a decent player. I guess he was getting a little impatient with me. He kept moving ahead of me, but to the side. On the third hole, he was about 20 yards to my front right at a 45* angle. (Wait for it.). I swung a 3i on my second shot, caught it on the hosel, it took off like a rocket about 4 feet off the ground straight towards his face. He pulled the quickest, coolest, Matrix move, bending backward at his knees with the ball zooming over his horizontal body! Wow!

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

Couple years ago was playing one of my last rounds of the year due to an upcoming knee surgery.

No alcohol was involved. My friend was driving the cart, I was riding. I was probably sitting too close to the edge. We both were looking for a ball in the fairway, zooming along.

He took a quick turn left and I wasn't prepared. Started to fall out of the cart, initial reaction was to try and catch my footing and 'run' it out. Well mid way I thought better since the leg that would've went first was the one that was already messed up. So I attempted to tuck and roll.

Tuck: check.
Roll: nope...

I hit the ground like a sack of bricks. Flat, crunch, straight down right on my side, no roll. Broke 2 ribs and tore cartilage under them. It was pretty funny and we still joke about it, as I can only imagine how it looked as I hit the ground that hard and laid there about 10 minutes trying to catch my breath. That was the last round of the year. Ended on the 17th fairway.
(Went back for one of my first rounds the following year and made a small memorial/homage on that very spot with some sticks. I'll never forget, Quail Chase east hole #8).

#TeamCallaway

[quote name='wingedfoot97' timestamp='1373323302' post='7412186']
In junior golf, the team we were playing against had a girl playing number one (she was waaaay better than any of us) and a guy playing number two. After the match the two started arguing and then came to blows on the practice putting green while the girl's [b][i]parents[/i][/b] were cheering her on. She beat the guy up pretty good. My team was in awe of what had just occurred.

It is still probably the number one craziest thing I have ever seen on a golf course. The second is the old couple parked next to me at the 2000 Masters having sex in their car during the Saturday rain delay.
[/quote]

I am surprised the parents didnt try and stop it or even a coach didnt step in. Especially considering it was a boy fighting a girl.

Just out of curiosity, did she get an academic scholarship because i dont think D3 schools are allowed to give athletic scholorships

Was in the same group as a guy who ran his cart into a deep fairway bunker. Came up to him laughing our butts off to see him knocked smooth out laying in the sand. Apparently his head met the steering wheel hard and he just rolled out of the cart. He came to pretty quick but was clearly concussed. Ended up spending three days in the hospital and bought everybody in the group a round for helping him.

Another incident this guy deserved. He was one of those angry golfers. Well apparently he had just enough of his putter, goes to helicopter it into the bushes, only to clip himself in the head. Looked like he got hit by a pro boxer the way he dropped.

[quote name='Flip4000' timestamp='1373343126' post='7414592']
[quote name='wingedfoot97' timestamp='1373323302' post='7412186']

[/quote]

I am surprised the parents didnt try and stop it or even a coach didnt step in. Especially considering it was a boy fighting a girl.

Just out of curiosity, did she get an academic scholarship because i dont think D3 schools are allowed to give athletic scholorships
[/quote]

I say DIII school but not sure what Jacksonville State University is in. The coaches were out on the course. Parents prob didnt step in because they were cheering too hard (think mma style). She was kicking his a** so bad too.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

[sub]Back in the mid 90s, I was at the Buick Open in Flint with my dad and his friend. We were in the left rough on 18 watching some tee shots come in when we hear people yelling fore. I turned and ducked down for a second. When I got back up and turned around, I noticed my dad bent over on the ground. Ball hit him in the nose and blood is gushing out. Luckily, he wasn't hurt bad, just a quick trip on a cart to the medic tent to be checked out and given some ice and we were back on the course, albeit a bit bruised and batteed. Funny part was that while my dad is laid out in the rough, the golfer who hit him comes up with his caddy to make sure my dad is ok. Didn't recognize him but saw the name plate on the back of the caddy saying Furyk. Name rang a bell but that was about it. Ever since then, it's been fun to see Jim Furyk's rise to the top level on the PGA tour. [/sub]

• 3 years later...

Couple years ago was playing one of my last rounds of the year due to an upcoming knee surgery.

No alcohol was involved. My friend was driving the cart, I was riding. I was probably sitting too close to the edge. We both were looking for a ball in the fairway, zooming along.

He took a quick turn left and I wasn't prepared. Started to fall out of the cart, initial reaction was to try and catch my footing and 'run' it out. Well mid way I thought better since the leg that would've went first was the one that was already messed up. So I attempted to tuck and roll.

Tuck: check.

Roll: nope...

I hit the ground like a sack of bricks. Flat, crunch, straight down right on my side, no roll. Broke 2 ribs and tore cartilage under them. It was pretty funny and we still joke about it, as I can only imagine how it looked as I hit the ground that hard and laid there about 10 minutes trying to catch my breath. That was the last round of the year. Ended on the 17th fairway.

(Went back for one of my first rounds the following year and made a small memorial/homage on that very spot with some sticks. I'll never forget, Quail Chase east hole #8).

Dude the way you worded this...funniest post in here. #neverforgetquailchaseeast

So one of my good friends used to swear he played much better without a glove. After a whole off season of his nude hand hype we get out to the first tee. 2 groups waiting behind us and the marshals beady eyes staring over. He gets up there and, I swear this happened, goes to rip one down the fairway and his driver goes sailing through his hands, about 40 yards down the left side and 20 feet in the air, hits the top of a tree and tumbles all the way down smacking every branch. I can't imagine how he felt during that walk of shame to retrieve it. Needless to say he wears at least one glove at all times now, on and off the course

After 15 holes of solid, heavy drinking a coworker passed out on his feet on 16 tee. Just dropped like a bag of milk, hit his head on the cart and was out cold. We propped him up and finished the round with one of us holding him upright in the cart. He was out cold, and in the cart area a retired cop walked by and insisted on calling 911. Off he went to the hospital for an IV and I'm sure a helluva bill for an ambulance ride and er visit.

After 15 holes of solid, heavy drinking a coworker passed out on his feet on 16 tee. Just dropped like a bag of milk, hit his head on the cart and was out cold. We propped him up and finished the round with one of us holding him upright in the cart. He was out cold, and in the cart area a retired cop walked by and insisted on calling 911. Off he went to the hospital for an IV and I'm sure a helluva bill for an ambulance ride and er visit.

This has been the second sentence of my 2016 story! First sentence being my 8 year old daughter falling in love with the game.

I have seen two guys pass out on the course in the past few months. Same course, different guys. One drove a cart head-on into the cart barn at full speed. The other was found between the 16th green and 17th tee laying in the grass, under a cluster of small pines. The later turned out to be a local minister!

I hit a pitch shot using 25 year old clubs and the shaft snapped at the grip. The shaft/clubhead shot across the green like a cycle and almost took my opponents head off!

And i'm standing there with the grip still in my hands, horrorfied.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

A few years back I was playing in Arizona, and we heard an ambulance that seemed to be very close a few holes ahead. Sure enough, one of the guys ahead had a few too many Coors, and fell into a jumping cactus.

315758_2270615017440_1610563954_2243579_686442066_n.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

At the course I grew up, I saw 2 of the scariest things ever.

First - our 15th hole was a relatively short par 5 dogleg right. In an effort to try to stop golfers from trying to carry the corner (which was a good 250, but everyone seemed to want to try it) the course put a pond in at the corner. Now you had to carry the trees, AND the pond.

One of the part time workers got off work, and....completely against company policy....went ball-hawking on a busy Saturday. And, of course, he went to the pond on 15, because the maintenance barn sat between the 15th & 16th holes.

As he's down in the pond, where he can't be seen from the tee, a golfer tees off - of course, trying to carry the pond. Suddenly, the worker (who shouldn't have been where he was) pops up from down the bank of the pond.

The guy who teed of starts absolutely screaming "FORE, FORE" along with everyone in his group.

The worker, not being a golfer, and having zero knowledge of what to do....looks up, in the direction of the tee (where he hears the shouts coming from) and the ball catches him directly in his eye.

Probably the most gruesome thing I have ever seen. Of course, he lost the eye, and there was a big lawsuit over it....lesson, if you don't know it....when you hear "FORE"...duck & cover.

The second thing didn't have any injuries, but could have been equally tragic. The 16th green happens to be right by the 15th tee, and sits kinda against some real tall trees. Not the hardest green on the course to putt, but the greens were overall pretty fast & tricky.

One of the "usual" groups was playing, and one of the players was about a good 5, and had a pretty bad temper. He 3-putted the green, and tossed his ball up in the air to hit it into the trees like a baseball. Now, if you've ever tried it, hitting the ball like a baseball with the putter isn't all that easy. And, putters aren't really made for full swings, either.

He swung with all his might....missed the ball....but the putter head flew off the shaft, and barely missed another guy in the group standing off the green. He had an afro, and it clipped some of the hair off his head.

Had that putter head hit him in the face, I guarantee he would have died.

I wasn't a part of either action, but let me tell you....having see the results of the first accident, and actually witnessed the second...made me rethink each and every action I take on or near a golf course.

I've witnessed the foot out the cart, getting stuck under while driving, breaking ankle thing....and various other things, but the first 2.....really scary.

Be careful out there!

Last summer I was golfing with my buddy and some random single. He (the single) was hitting maybe a 7i onto the green and I was about 20 yards ahead of himand off to his side... I thought I was far enough off to the side for any half way competent player to not hit me. Somehow he hits a total shank literally right at my head. All I hear is WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! and I turn my head about 2 inches only to have the ball fly literally right past my ear. Heard the the WOOsh of the ball spinning and everything.

Needless to say if that hit me I was probably either going to end up dead or extremely concussed. Got real lucky. Ever since then I don't walk too far in front of a player unless I know they are a better player.