GPS Comparison Charts

I've assembled some information
I started researching the relative benefits of the various golf GPS units currently on the market and I found that the manufacturers don't make it easy on you to find comparable information. It's scattered all over website pages instead of on a single "specifications" page. And in some cases, I had to email the manufacturer to get information.

So I decided to put together a Comparison Chart so I could easily compare the features of the units. I've converted the chart to a jpg file so I could upload it.

The units I researched were

SkyCaddie SG1, SG2, SG3, and SG4

iGolf GPS Caddie

GolfBuddy GPS Range Finder

GolfLogix Golf GPS

SureShot GPS

Sonocaddie

GPSFeatures.jpg?t=1178167265

GPSPhysicalSpecs.jpg?t=1178167335

Notes:

F, B, C = Front, Back, Center of Green

FW = Fairway points

Blank fields mean I couldn't locate the information.

Golfbuddy indicates that their annual fee for State and Country subscription is waived, but does state if that is for the life of the product or just the first year. I have emailed them twice with the question (as well as many others) but they have not responded.

If anyone has any questions about the chart, just let me know.

If anyone has any personal experience with any of the units (especially some of the lesser known units like the GolfBuddy, GolfLogix, Sonocaddie, and SureShot) please post your experiences!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose the iGolf because of:

Reuseable batteries

USB uploading of courses

Battery life

Good Chart Charlie.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Great job on the chart. I am really interested in the stat keeping info. , Avg. club distance, GIR's, etc. do you have info you could add to your charts relative to this.?? I would like to keep my average GIR's, avg. distance from the hole, etc.

if one if these vendors was smart they would add putt count so you could average your putts as well (you could manually put in the lenght of the putts, etc. as gps isn't accurate enough to calculate putt lenghths).

Great job Charlie on the comparisons! I purchased an SG2 over a year ago and really love my unit however, My subscription ran out last week during a round so I initiated a renew. (I hate annual fees) and have nothing but troubles with their custumer support on getting my caddie back online. Called their customer support 4 times and put on hold for over an hour before I hung up, Multiple emails to their "Support help" and told to call customer support :bigwhack: ....finally just called "New Accounts for retailers or country clubs" and someone answered almost immediately (go figure!!!!!!) and demanded they fix my account which had been paid for and not activated...finally this morning after almost 5 days they recognize my account again....Sky Caddie's customer service sucks IMO...will be looking at alternatives in the future.

JME,

Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

First off, great job on the chart Charlie!

Hearing about SkyCaddie's bad customer service is a huge issue for me - one that will probably prevent me from patronizing them.

Do I understand correctly that a unit simply shut off in the middle of a round due to subscription issues? :bigwhack:

Can any of you who have one of the other units speak to the level of customer service provided?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I appreciate it. Truthfully, I am anal-retentive when it comes to buying new things, so I over-research everything. I figured the least I could do was pass that information along in the hopes that someone else might find it useful.

Some comments after reading the posts so far:

I have also heard bad things about SkyCaddie Customer service. I get the feeling that they are used to being a relative monopoly in the field and they think they can dictate terms. They are going to have to rethink that business model ASAP, as there have been several new entries into the market recently.

Most OEMs are using satellite photos to map courses. As a result, they are getting courses mapped much more quickly than SkyCaddie did when it started by using ground mapping. As for accuracy for satellite vs. ground mapping, I can't say.

The emerging business model seems to be: charge for the units, not for the course maps. I don't know which model will ulitmately prevail, but I do know that I don't like paying annual fees after I pay for hardware (Even cell phone companies give the phones away! Either charge me up front, or charge me for use - but don't try to hit me with both.)

Now that there seems to be increased competition, I think we will see features improve and prices drop quickly. Especially after the OEMs get past the initial investment of mapping all the courses.

Raider-

I'll see what I can find out about stat-keeping with the units.

I chose the sureshot as it keeps your score, stats, club length average, as well as the same functions as all the others. BY far the best investment I have ever made!

When I was ready to buy SureShot sounded great but they hadn't yet mapped many courses in my state so I went with the SkyCaddie.

SureShot looks cooler though,

Great job Charlie on the comparisons! I purchased an SG2 over a year ago and really love my unit however, My subscription ran out last week during a round so I initiated a renew. (I hate annual fees) and have nothing but troubles with their custumer support on getting my caddie back online. Called their customer support 4 times and put on hold for over an hour before I hung up, Multiple emails to their "Support help" and told to call customer support :o ....finally just called "New Accounts for retailers or country clubs" and someone answered almost immediately (go figure!!!!!!) and demanded they fix my account which had been paid for and not activated...finally this morning after almost 5 days they recognize my account again....Sky Caddie's customer service sucks IMO...will be looking at alternatives in the future.

JME,

Tad

I will concur on the fact that SkyCaddie's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I had a similar experience a year ago when I was trying to renew. You would think that with the increased competition they're facing from other brands that they could 'tighten things up a bit'. :rolleyes:

The one item that really killed the Sky Caddie for me was that I have an iMac for my personal machine and I'm not going to install 3rd party software on my business machine. So the GPS units also have to be "Mac Friendly" and since the Sky Caddie wasn't, I got the Laser Range Finder (and happy I did, I love it)

How, in this day and age, SkyCaddie could possibly put out a product (technology mind you) that isn't Mac friendly just flat out blows my mind!! :cheesy: :o :cheesy:

Strike 2 in sales/marketing/customer service!!!! (fairly easy fixes could mean a lot more in sales)

Charlie, great work on the comparison chart BTW!! :bigwhack:

Thank for your work. I've been hoping to come across a comparison like this. Much appreciated.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I have the golflogix unit built by Garmin. So far very happy with it. Customer service via email has been very good and fast. I requested 2 course that weren't listed, and within a week 1/2 for both there were available for download. I also asked about them updating the time feature, it set for cst, I'm on the west coast, got a prompt reply that they are upgrading the software. The only thing that I wished it had was the ability to mark distance.

not a big deal though. It scrolls as you walk, I previously had the bushnell pinseeker and the golflogix just blows it away in terms of speed of locating the distance. I just clip it to the outside of my bag or cart and off I go. Paid 295 off ebay, though most units are going for 329-349. Hopefully the price will come down to be more completive wit other units.

I have the golflogix unit built by Garmin. So far very happy with it. Customer service via email has been very good and fast. I requested 2 course that weren't listed, and within a week 1/2 for both there were available for download. I also asked about them updating the time feature, it set for cst, I'm on the west coast, got a prompt reply that they are upgrading the software. The only thing that I wished it had was the ability to mark distance.

not a big deal though. It scrolls as you walk, I previously had the bushnell pinseeker and the golflogix just blows it away in terms of speed of locating the distance. I just clip it to the outside of my bag or cart and off I go. Paid 295 off ebay, though most units are going for 329-349. Hopefully the price will come down to be more completive wit other units.

I can echo lolo's comments about GolfLogix. Of all the companies I emailed for information (some of whom still haven't gotten back to me), GolfLogix had, by far, the fastest response - next day if I recall.

My concerns with GolfLogix were (1) no option for manual mapping of points; (2) more expensive than other units (but Lolo seems to have figured out the way around that!); (3) no "shot distance" function; and (4) annual subscription required.

But if you are looking for a "Grab and Go" unit and the annual fee doesn't bother you, it looks like a solid option: 12 Satellite Channels and their philosophy is that "if you are paying $349 for the unit and $30/year, you shouldn't have to do anything but look at the unit to get your distance."

EDIT: I tracked down the email

I intend to purchase a heldheld GPS unit for golf in the next few weeks and I would like some information about the GolfLogix Handheld Golf GPS System. I have thoroughly reviewed the GolfLogix website, but I still have the following questions:

(1) Once I purchase the unit and the $29 subscription, are the courses I download mine to keep; or do I have to maintain my subscription each year to keep the courses?

GolfLogix: GolfLogix provides one course for free without having to pay the $29.95 annual membership. You can load as many courses as you would like for the length of the 1-year membership. These courses will be stored on your PC for one year but at the end of that year you will only have access to one course if you choose not to renew.

(2) Is it possible for the owner/user to map points on a course, or is the user limited to pre-mapped points provided by GolfLogix?

GolfLogix: We feel that for $349 you should not have to map your own points. We provide up to 3 hazards/carry points per hole. Our device can be used without having to push any buttons throughout the round and all distances are displayed in a large easy to read format. If there are points that you would like to see added we are building a simple program that will allow you to requests points.

(3) Will the unit function without the annual subscription?

GolfLogix: The unit will always be able to display one course.

(4) What is the maximum number of points "mapped" by GolfLogix for each hole

GolfLogix: To keep our no-button operation during the round we have limited the points to 3 per hole.

(5) If users can "map" their own courses, or add points to pre-mapped course, is it possible (or permissible) to trade custom maps?

GolfLogix: We do not expect or allow golfers to map their own course. If a course is not available you can use the Request a Course feature and we will have it mapped within one week.

(6) Will the unit use AA rechargeable batteries; or only standard alkaline or lithium AA batteries.

GolfLogix: The GolfLogix device will use any type of AA batteries including rechargeable. High power batteries like Duracell will generally last 20 hours and the rechargeables can last up to 14 hours.

(7) The GolfLogix Unit is more expensive than most of the other handheld units currently on the market (the SkyCaddie SG4 is the same price, and the SureShot GPS in $399; while the iGolf, SG1, SG2, and SG3 are less); what features does GolfLogix believe justify the higher price?

GolfLogix: [no response]

(8) How are the courses mapped? By hand or using satellite maps?

GolfLogix:We use a variety of aerial and satellite imagery to map our courses. One advantage of using this method is that we will be updating our maps once per year to reflect the changes that are made at the golf courses.

(9) What is the margin for error on the readings?

GolfLogix: Like all GPS in the golf business our margin of error is plus or minus 3 yards. Any company that tells you any differently is not telling the truth.

Nice work Charlie!

I went with the IGolf unit for a few reasons...

1. I got one at a "personal use discount"

2. 99-percent of the courses I play were already mapped out - SkyCaddie hardly had any in my area.

3. It's very, very accurate

4. I'm more happy with AA batteries instead of an internal rechargeable battery

5. Battery life is very good

6. They will map a course within a day if at all possible after you request it.

7. The unit holds a TON of courses inside it, so unless I go out of town, I have all the courses I play already in the unit.

I've used it since the middle of last season and it's been fantastic.

The only thing I've noticed, and it's entirely my own stupid fault for doing so, is that sometimes I get so fixated on the yardage I forget to factor in the wind! So I now read the yardage, check wind conditions, and then pull the desired club out of the bag.

That is really a great effort!

I have a SG2 and upgraded to the SG4. Customer service is indeed poor for the ShkyCaddie. At the time I upgraged (reason: better scree/graphics/layout) Sureshot did not have coursed in CT. Now they do. However, they are not the "Professional" mapped style, and only have greens data. I still think they offer the best product, and when they upgrade their courses to pro level, I will most likely switch to their product.

More intelligolf info.

I have the ipaq 6945 series. It is a phone, pda, with built in bluetooth and built in gps.

I think hp makes a non phone model like this too.

I was given it for work.

The beauty is the gps will work with all pocket pc gps soft ware. So you can use the device as your car voice navigation system too with right software.

As for intelligolf, their Eagle edition has gps feature. Basically it is a stat and scoring system and it can be used wit the gps to track all of your shots for distances etc. and give you tons of stats.

The GPS part for looking at yardages is basic. You get distances:

Front, back and center of green. 3 custom points and yardages to the 200 150 and 100 marker.

It can also be used to measure your distances of your shot and then log it as which club hit it and keep those stats.

If you goto the website u can get a good product tour. If you register for free you can also see the database of courses.

MY home courses were in the database but not mapped for gps only for scorecard and info.

MY last 2 rounds (1 on a cart) I mapped the points as I played. It added very little time to the round. The cart round was as a 2 some with me riding alone (I was working overnight and back was sore). Was finshed in slightly over 3 hours.

I cant attest yet to how accurate the distances are yet, but I have a pinseeker, so next round I will compare.

Also if you don;t have means to go out and map a course and it is not in the Database, you cna exchange wtih friends for free, and you can even get the satellite points of google maps and add them on your pc at home and upl oad em to the unit.

Some additional notes:

I've noticed that the Sonnocaddie is now carried on the Target website. However, Target's price is higher than Amazon (sold by Amazon "partners'). But it makes me wonder if Target is going to start carrying the Sonnocaddie in it's stores. EDIT: Just noticed that Wal-Mart is (in theory) carrying it too.

Same situation with iGolf and Costco . (Although iGolf is already available at Golfsmith.)

The reason I would like to see GPS units available at larger retailers is because t increases the number of units sold and, thereby, the likelihood that the company will be around for several years (important for course downloading.)

After staring at my own chart for hours on end, the Sonnocaddie seems to be the perfect unit ("on paper"):

• unlimited free downloads
  • fairway and green points mapped by the manufacturer
  • screen has multiple icons segregated by position of point on course
  • shot distance function
  • electronic scorekeeper

and, the Sonnocaddie website lets you see if your course is mapped, and it tells you how many points are mapped per hole. For example, here is Cypress Point at Pebble Beach:

http://www.sonocaddie.com/course%20infomat...D=USCA102732001

(Note: When searching for courses, you must use Internet Explorer because some information won't display in Firefox)

You can see (even before you buy) that the Par 4 13th, there are 2 green points and 4 fairway points mapped.

But as a new entry, I am gun shy about rushing out to buy the unit. Does anyone have any first-hand experience?

My other concern is that it seems like a lot of information displayed on a small screen. I'm wondering how easy it is to read the data you need in "the heat of battle."

An update re the Sonocaddie unit.

One of the things I like to do is test the customer support department by emailing them with questions (see my post above witht he email to to GolfLogix). Frankly, the Sonocaddie website answered most of my questions, but since I am impressed by the features of the unit, I crafted some questions.

I sent the email on Saturday night and I received a response Tuesday morning. Because it was a "general inquiry" email, I don't count weekend days. So, the resonse was received within 2 business days. Not bad. GolfLogix responded within 1 business day, and GolfBuddy has never responded (after 2 inquiries).

Here are my questions, and I have interlineated Sonocaddies' responses.

I am considering the purchase of a golf GPS unit in the next few weeks and I am impressed with all the features available with the Sonocaddie, plus there is no annual fee. However, I have some questions before I buy.

(1) Because the Sonocaddie is new to the market, what assurances can you give me that support for the unit will be available in a few years and that courses will continue to be available for download and will be updated. Basically, I am concerned about getting stuck with a unit that doesn't have any way to download courses because the company is no longer around, or doesn't support the unit any more.

Sonocaddie:

Hi Mr. Foxtrot,
1. Sonocaddie's creator-Sonostar had been around for many years prior to introducing Sonocaddie XV2 and is working to introducing other models to the market. In business and in life, there is no guarantee that it would go as planned, with that been said. Sonostar plan to stay the long haul and the majority owner is very committed.

(2) Is there any way to store downloaded courses on my own computer and then load them on the Sonocaddie from there?

Sonocaddie:

2. Current model does not support downloading to PC first, then to the Sonocaddie.

(3) The Sonocaddie shows a lot of information on the small screen. How easy is it to read the information? Can you read the display in bright sunlight? Are there any retailers in the Seattle, WA area where I could see/buy the Sonocaddie?

Sonocaddie:

3. Sonocaddie's screen is 4 color gray scale with 19 shades that you could adjust to your preference.

(4) Approximately how many units have been sold in the U.S.? (again, I'm concerned about making sure I will have a unit that will be supported in the future.)

Sonocaddie:

4. Sonocaddie sold over one thousand units in North America.

(5) Are there any plans to start charging an annual fee in order to download courses?

Sonocaddie:

5. Sonocaddie do have plan to charge annual fee in the distant future with added features. The basic download service will likely be grandfather claused with the early adpater
[sic - "adopters"]

(6) Does Sonocaddie manufacture its own GPS unit or does someone else (Garmin, Magellan, etc) manufacture it?

Sonocaddie:

6. No, Sonostar does not manufacture its own units, it is handle by contract manufacturers that produce many consumer electronic goods including the ipod.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Charlie

It is hope we answer your concerns.

Sincerely,

Terry

Altex Corp.

Sonocaddie North America Authorized Dealer

18552 MacArthur Blvd., Suite #105
Irvine
, CA 92612

Any one who owns the Sureshot GPS and can confirm that it is slower at locking on and showing distances than the Skycaddie SG3/4 is ?

Also I can't seem to find any protective case for the SureShot GPS. The Sureshot sure looks great, but it will for sure get scratched without a protective case or cover..... :friends: :D

Called Golfbuddy today and was able to talk to their head of North American Sales dept.

The membership is free for life those who buy their product now. He doesn't know when this offer would expire but he's positive it's not going to expire anytime soon. He said their machine is essentially same with Skycaddie as they use the same satellite. He insisted Golfbuddy is more reliable. Oh, he also said a second generation product will be available later this month: it's called Golfbuddy Plus. The plus model will be able to store 1000 courses and will have rechargeable battery. It will be all black unlike current black/white design and will be more expensive. He said he'd rather get regular Golfbuddy if I don't have any problem downloading courses from computer via USB; and 60 courses are enough anyway.

Golfbuddys sell for $275 but he's willing to give 10~15% discount if I buy 10 units. Anyone interested?

Loving my SureShot. Very robust, so don't worry about it not having a case. Mine has been mostly living in my golf bag for a couple of months and you can't tell. Normally just throw it onto the dash of the cart during a round and not even a scrath so far.

Love the stats facility. Always been bad about recording as much info as I should so I bought a Suunto watch to do it but found that not easy enough to use. Now understand a lot more about my game.