2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Lajosi Custom Putter

Well where should I start this project.

Typically I am the kind of person that enjoys having something that's a little different. Hence being in Australia led me down to Ogio bags a few years ago when they were relatively unknown, Cru headcovers etc and now I'm in the market for a new putter.

My putters before this in order from first to last is

Wilson Blade

Odyssey #1

Odyssey #7 heavy white hot insert

Scotty Cameron Monterey

Seemore Si3

and my current gamer of Nike Midnight method 006 Centre Shaft

Putter I Would buy if not getting one custom made would be Scotty Notchback. Only issues I see is that its too light (can change weights I know) and 3/4 offset. Otherwise I really like the shape.

I looked at Machine but didnt get a response back, looked at Bettinardi (I must say my dream putter is still for sale however its $1350, and whilst my next putter might be in that area the partner would kill me with that purchase) I must say Jimmy and Nick are a great help and will bend over backwards to help you achieve what you want. Byron didnt really excite me as much as the others so my search led me to a local putter maker (well in Australia still some 3000kms away) in being Kari Lajosi.

His site is http://lajosiputters.com.au/ but his facebook page has some amazing pictures on it to which kind of sold me

Looking on there and from some reviews I could see it seemed the perfect match. I emailed Kari and enquired and as I have expected he has always been quite prompt with emails back. So i started looking knowing what my requirements were

33.5 inches

heavy head 355-360 gram

1/4 shaft offset

flow neck

no skinny and no fat back

My search led me to probably the classic DD201 as he refers to it, or the anser as we know it.

dd201-3section-e1351658430261-204x157.jpg

I was tempted by the below version however my current game is the very straight edge so thought I would go to smoothing it out

ad202-3section-e1351658319470-204x157.jpg

From here I sent a partial request to Kari and got the reply back which very reasonably priced,

On that spot I was nearly sold. Said leave it with me and Ill come back with some final work outs of what I want and then we can finalise it all.

So where to turn for advice then here. I know a lot of people have gone down the custom putter path and really want your help

Couple of things about what I'm looking for

1. It has to be custom, that is I don't care about resale if I don't like it.

2. It cant look stupid and absurd, it needs to look clean, sophisticated but different

3. I would like it to represent my kid/s. One is due in December but we havent decided on a name (somehow Hunter is winning and all I can think of is that red headed guy that had a kid that plays golf) and our other son is Lewis which my headcovers have his name on.

4. I prefer a darker finish but not pure black and not shiny

5. It has to have a black shaft

6. No Sight line, still deciding if I even want a sight dot. I feel without a sight dot it would make me more use feel in the putt and not worry about aim or mechanics. (advice wanted here)

7. Cant be white paintfill, just seems boring.

FINISH

Im leaning towards the Gun Metal finish as its the balance between I feel. Does anyone know how it holds up over time, Ive heard if you adjust the lie it can damage the finish. I would love the Damascus version, but the cost is a little much at the moment.

DD201-Gun-Metal-1-300x225.jpg

PVD Finish

DD201-PVD-1-300x225.jpg

Or should I just go the Black Oxide Finish

DD201-Round-neck-Damascus-Insert-5-300x225.jpg

Torched Oil

Sensor-9-300x225.jpg

Back Stamping

Im leaning to the one on the left and using the one on the right font for underneath the putter

dd201-3section-e1351658430261-204x157.jpgSensor-9-300x225.jpg

FRONT FACE

I thinking of just getting the lizard in the hosel section with Kari Lajosi next to it.

1017321_10151686644764336_1353998230_n.jpg

BOTTOM

I think I can get a little more adventorous and was thinking of a large lizard covering 70% of it with Lajosi written across the baseline of the putter

BUMPER STAMPINGS

Unsure if I should do the head weight and material or this is where to customise it, Names would have max of 6 letters so should fit in I think. Say Lewis on left and Hunter on right if thats where we go with the names

MILLING

Im leaning towards the deep milling as is pretty standard however the below lizard milling does look nice however might be too out there for me

DD201-Brushed-Nickel-6.jpg

HEADCOVER

Im thinking of the black cover as I couldnt do a white cover however the red is maybe a little too bright.

covers_03_large-204x157.jpg

GRIP

Kangaroo Leather Signature Grip

grips-signature_large-204x157.jpg

SHAFTBAND

Damascus Shaft Band

537389_10151547629294336_1215014070_n.jpg267977_10151447232529336_1317688175_n.jpg

PAINTFILL

Unsure, Im thinking I could go red, with the Red grip and Cover, or go a blue version, like a royal blue.

So WRX, what are your thoughts? I figure Ill have it planned by two weeks time then place the order

Thanks in advance

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kari also has these head covers that he released last year. Contact him for all the colors he has available

Taylormade M2 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Taylormade M2 15*,19*,22* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Ping i25 5-pw KBS
Miura 51*,55*,59*
Bettinardi BB1 3/4 RJB2240
http://bettinardiregistry.com/putter-registry/7-of-7-bb-1-three-quarter-lh/

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375110933' post='7560772']
I promise you, that you won't regret ordering with Kari. He did me a Handmade putter, and at all times, he was professional, prompt, and brilliant to work with. From conception to at my door in 3 weeks. Fabulous service, and great result.
[/quote]

3weeks sounds great. I was expecting longer. What putter did you get. Post a pic up. Anything you wish you had changed?

[quote name='Frozenghost007' timestamp='1375134779' post='7563758']
Kari also has these head covers that he released last year. Contact him for all the colors he has available
[/quote]

Thanks. Are they magnetic. Hate the Velcro ones. Although this plain ones as such do look pretty smart

[quote name='jg1166' timestamp='1375139111' post='7564168']
Kari is brillant, he customised my Scotty Kombi Long and did a perfect job, and very reasonably priced
[/quote]

Yeah looking at his custom work especially on scotty s it looks amazing. If I had a spare putter that liked me I'd send it in in a second

[quote name='Rusty88' timestamp='1375139721' post='7564242']
I promise you, that you won't regret ordering with Kari. He did me a Handmade putter, and at all times, he was professional, prompt, and brilliant to work with. From conception to at my door in 3 weeks. Fabulous service, and great result.
[/quote]

3weeks sounds great. I was expecting longer. What putter did you get. Post a pic up. Anything you wish you had changed?

[/quote]

Thanks. Are they magnetic. Hate the Velcro ones. Although this plain ones as such do look pretty smart

Kari is brillant, he customised my Scotty Kombi Long and did a perfect job, and very reasonably priced
[/quote]

Yeah looking at his custom work especially on scotty s it looks amazing. If I had a spare putter that liked me I'd send it in in a second
[/quote]

Hi,

My putter is pictured on a thread entitled Damascus LP808 L/H Lajosi, so if you plug that in the search engine, you will see my putter in that thread. I'm very happy with mine, it rolls great when I find the sweet spot!! Lol. But its feel is gorgeous, as its carbon. Would I have changed anything? No, probably not, but I will definitely be ordering another one from him, as I would like another option to try. Probably a H3R or something similar in oil can or Gun metal, with some custom stampings.

Rusty's "So where to turn for advice then here. I know a lot of people have gone down the custom putter path and really want your help" He's turning to 'us' for 'his' putter. Sweet.

1. It has to be custom, that is I don't care about resale if I don't like it. <- Stamp custom on one bumper.
3. 3. I would like it to represent my kid/s. One is due in December but we havent decided on a name (somehow Hunter is winning and all I can think of is that red headed guy that had a kid that plays golf) and our other son is Lewis which my headcovers have his name on. <- Stamp humans on the other bumper.

[quote name='Wayneo' timestamp='1375214697' post='7570688']
Rusty's "So where to turn for advice then here. I know a lot of people have gone down the custom putter path and really want your help" He's turning to 'us' for 'his' putter. Sweet.

1. It has to be custom, that is I don't care about resale if I don't like it. <- Stamp custom on one bumper.
3. 3. I would like it to represent my kid/s. One is due in December but we havent decided on a name (somehow Hunter is winning and all I can think of is that red headed guy that had a kid that plays golf) and our other son is Lewis which my headcovers have his name on. <- Stamp humans on the other bumper.
[/quote]

How can I say, have you ever dated a girl and realised three months later that a blonde model that parties isn't the best to date. That's my issue here, sure ill have fun in the process but I might actually want this putter to have a use besides simple satisfaction. Lets not kid ourselves they both cost money but one will just s^*t you off pretty quickly.

I'm more interested as I have read that having a lot on the face is annoying and people regret it. Then there is the choice of finishes I want help. Other than that what people have regretted would be a great help.

But humans is a good choice for the bumper

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375209556' post='7570116']
[quote name='Rusty88' timestamp='1375139721' post='7564242']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi,

My putter is pictured on a thread entitled Damascus LP808 L/H Lajosi, so if you plug that in the search engine, you will see my putter in that thread. I'm very happy with mine, it rolls great when I find the sweet spot!! Lol. But its feel is gorgeous, as its carbon. Would I have changed anything? No, probably not, but I will definitely be ordering another one from him, as I would like another option to try. Probably a H3R or something similar in oil can or Gun metal, with some custom stampings.
[/quote]

Yeah that putter looks sick. Thinking as much as I want Damascus ill wait and perhaps will venture to the copper band as ill feel like I've just cheated getting this Damascus shaft band.

[quote name='indyvai' timestamp='1375227909' post='7572002']
The gun metal finish is one of the best I've ever seen, and very durable.
[/quote]

I tend to agree about the Gunmetal finish. At first, I didn't like it, I thought it looked kinda boring, but the more I have seen of it, the more it looks all business, and it has definately grown on me, I'm hoping Kari will be doing a Gun Blue finish in the near future.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375258782' post='7574418']
[/quote]

I tend to agree about the Gunmetal finish. At first, I didn't like it, I thought it looked kinda boring, but the more I have seen of it, the more it looks all business, and it has definately grown on me, I'm hoping Kari will be doing a Gun Blue finish in the near future.
[/quote]

Jay, would the gun metal work with a black shaft? Gun blue sounds interesting.

Post some pics. My deadline to order is getting closer. Need to make decisions

[quote name='Rusty88' timestamp='1375314314' post='7579448']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375258782' post='7574418']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Jay, would the gun metal work with a black shaft? Gun blue sounds interesting.

Post some pics. My deadline to order is getting closer. Need to make decisions
[/quote]

Yeah I don't see any reason why the black shaft wouldn't work with the gunmetal finish, though I think the black shaft would work with most of the finishes that Kari offers.

I'm not sure if Kari has perfected the Gun Blue finish yet. He won't offer anything until he is 100% sure that its a reliable and viable alternative. He was working on it, but I'm not sure if he has it quite right yet. But he is always there to shoot an email to. He'll definitely point you in the right direction.

Hi all.

Update I just sent email to Kari with my decisions. I said two weeks so I can decide what i really want but can't wait. So will be very soon I have to finally set my design

So in the end from looking at everything the final plan looks like

Dd201 at 33.5 inches
Signature grip at around 1inch diameter in blue
Flow neck with the slightest offset, not more than 1/4 shaft
Head weight as close to 360g
Black shaft (as long as its not shiny) with copper plate shaft band
Milling is to be deep milled
Headcover the standard. Waiting to see if a blue one is available

Finish I am unsure. The gun metal seems to have some real different outcomes. I'm really looking for a dark version thats not shiny or if you have another idea as I don't want pure black so possibly PVD.

Back right bumper to be stamped with the weight say "358g". May send it back to get the back left bumper stamped later
Front stamping on the toe to be S.M. being my initials.

Back cavity to be as mentioned in first post as well as the front face on the right as posted above

Still unsure underneath. What has everyone done with it? Leave blank?

Sounds like quite the beauty Rusty. Out of all you've written, I would've gotten the lizard on the front, and moved your initials to the back left bumper. As for the headcover, personally, I'd put on some garbage no-name, or other headcover. I wouldn't want to bring any attention to my putter while I was away in the washroom or clubhouse for lunch.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

[quote name='Wayneo' timestamp='1375377149' post='7584186']
Sounds like quite the beauty Rusty. Out of all you've written, I would've gotten the lizard on the front, and moved your initials to the back left bumper. As for the headcover, personally, I'd put on some garbage no-name, or other headcover. I wouldn't want to bring any attention to my putter while I was away in the washroom or clubhouse for lunch.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
[/quote]

Thanks wayneo. Initials on back bumper. Ill have to think about it. I'm not too worried about it going missing. I'm at a pretty private club. Plus there isn't good plain covers

Been a little busy at work. Kari emailed me and he has scheduled the milling

Still waiting to finalise colour of stampings and what I want underneath the putter. I hate the plain look.

I think my current putter knows their getting kicked out. 4 putted from ten foot and 9 lip outs from over 10 foot last round. Can't remember when that last occurred.

• 1 month later...

Update-

Sorry I've been away and busy with work. As the case is with a new putter the existing one is working 25 putts last weekend.

However below are the progress pics. Just needs the pvd finish, paintfill and then built and it should be ready. It's come out better than expected

[attachment=1891211:image.jpg]
[attachment=1891217:image.jpg]
[attachment=1891221:image.jpg]
[attachment=1891227:image.jpg]
[attachment=1891233:image.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from business trip. Awaiting in the inbox is the putter pretty much done. Shipping next week. Can't wait. Strange thing is I've been putting really well now but no confidence as the new putter is coming.

[attachment=1910831:image.jpg]
[attachment=1910833:image.jpg]
[attachment=1910835:image.jpg]
[attachment=1910837:image.jpg]

Nice. Is that the gun metal finish?

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Is the DD201 available in stainless?

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

DD201 is avalible in Stainless, Carbon, Copper, Damascus in right and left handed.

Taylormade M2 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Taylormade M2 15*,19*,22* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Ping i25 5-pw KBS
Miura 51*,55*,59*
Bettinardi BB1 3/4 RJB2240
http://bettinardiregistry.com/putter-registry/7-of-7-bb-1-three-quarter-lh/

[quote name='Frozenghost007' timestamp='1381677728' post='7994947'] DD201 is avalible in Stainless, Carbon, Copper, Damascus in right and left handed. [/quote]

Thanks. I have not been able to get my hands on a Lajosi but a DD201 in Stainless with a Gun Metal finish and fine mill seems tempting.

Hi guys This is actually the pvd finish. I talked to Kari and he couldn't promise that the gun metal would be dark enough for my taste but suggested that we went with pvd.

The gun metal would of been my next choice though

Lion mill. I suggest just emailing Kari. In the end he out up with all my requests including many changes. On the finish topic It was I like this gun metal, this one too light, this one too dark. Can we do this one? You get the picture. He wants to know what your trying to achieve and gives you the info or direction.

Pm me if you need more info