Removing sweat stains from hats

FPSPearceFPSPearce Members Posts: 112
edited Jul 30, 2013 in Golf Style and Accessories #1
Its been a hot summer and i have some stain on my favorite visor thanks to it. I figured just throw it in the washer but i wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt the hat in anyway. Or is there any other way thats better for the hat.

20130730_132006_zpsa31f9bd1.jpg

20130730_132013_zpse2f23538.jpg

Comments

• joeuncjoeunc Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Top rack of the dishwasher is what I have always done. It works great on white hats that get discolored.
  • gr8blueheronbirdgr8blueheronbird Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Spray it with shout and then put it in the dishwasher and run said dishwasher with dishwashing detergent.This should get the stains out. I also have one of those plastic hat things that keep the shape of it especially for a regular hat.
  • methoddanmethoddan Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 1, 2013 #4
    Darker colors tend to show the salty sweats stains more. When I wear a darker hat, I always rinse my hats with some water and let air dry. It does a really good job of preventing these stains.

For cleaning, use a mild soap and hand wash. You could wash the hat in the washing machine or dishwasher, but it might damage the hat material/structure. Do not use the dryer; aways air dry.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually throw my hats into a pillow case, tie the end shut with a rubber band, and run them through a regular cycle. Reshape and air dry when done. Works fine and most retain their shape perfectly.
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • KYMARKYMAR Members Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i would definitely hand wash it. On white hats I use a water and a powder detergent like

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • thammonsthammons Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    All of these will work and I would also add in once you've washed it, spray it with some waterproofer spray (from finish line, lids, champs, etc.) and let it sit for about 30 mins (spray inside and outside of hat/visor). I spray all of my hats down occasionally with the spray and they never show any sweat lines and I think the spray is only like $5. Well worth it IMO.
  • neild76neild76 Members Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    methoddan wrote:

Darker colors tend to show the salty sweats stains more. When I wear a darker hat, I always rinse my hats will some water and let air dry. It does a really good job of preventing these stains.

This works really well. At the turn run your hat under the sink until it is saturated, and do it again after the round. It will wash away the salt from your sweat, and the stain won't set in.
  • Temple23Temple23 Members Posts: 115
    Agree with previous posters about the post round stains. A preemptive strike would be to spray your hat with Scotchguard fabric and upholstery protector (red can) on the inside and on the brim. Since i started doing that I haven't had any issues with sweat stains...!
  • Birdies&EaglesBirdies&Eagles Members Posts: 349
    Dishwasher really works?
  • Andy88ctAndy88ct Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Just to throw my two cents in as I've had a lot of hats suffer from the sweat stains.

I've tried the dishwasher method, and also the hand washing with oxyclean paste for the stains. I typically wear the standard Titleist mesh caps they they sell at sports/golf retailers. What I found was the structured part of the cap would get warped/ruffled once the drying was complete. The stains for the most part would be removed and look a lot better. But then the cap would look worn because of the ruffling. I assume it's because the rigid part where the Titleist embroidery is gets compromised from the water soaking through.

I know the original post here showed a visor, and maybe an "unstructured" one at that.

I'm not sure if anybody else has run into this problem with the Titleist mesh hats or not. Just a word of caution for anybody looking to try to clean one of those.

I think in a previous thread I looked at somebody's response to correcting the stain was "buy a new hat". I guess I tend to fall in that category as I've tried a couple of variations on a few hats and not been really satisfied with the results.
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw it in the bin and buy a new one.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweat stains are a badge of honor. Don't touch it.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • Will ParWill Par Members Posts: 1,005
    I throw my hat in the bathroom sink as soon as I get home after every round or practice session and let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Then take it out and let it air dry. This gets the sweat out and it's fresh and ready to go for the next round. In the Florida heat I'll sweat so much one round can ruin a hat if I don't do this.
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan
    Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas
  • Nick4DXNick4DX Members Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    The dishwasher has always worked well for me. Houston humidity can wreck a hat in a hurry but I can get mine back to looking new pretty quick.
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular washer always works for me (shape and air dry).

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

• GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrub it. If that doesn't work, buy a new hat.
  • drifter12drifter12 Members Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    basically this.. I use the kitchen sink, scrub it with some mild detergent, dunk it in warm water a few times, rinse well and air dry. The next morning if it still looks bad, I chuck it and buy another image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Will Par wrote:

I throw my hat in the bathroom sink as soon as I get home after every round or practice session and let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Then take it out and let it air dry. This gets the sweat out and it's fresh and ready to go for the next round. In the Florida heat I'll sweat so much one round can ruin a hat if I don't do this.
    TaylorMade M1 9.5
    Titleist 906F4 15.5
    TaylorMade Aeroburner 19
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 5-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 52/58
    Bettinardi SS7
  • matchiematchie Members Posts: 50
    I typically wear one hat per season...til the last round, regardless of condition.

Goes back to my college days. I had a hat for so long, it was like a patch of cloth with a mangled brim.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply rinse mine thoroughly in the sink and hang them out on the line to dry.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Cherry GhostCherry Ghost Members Posts: 460
    It all depends on the hat. If it's cotton like the OP posted, go with the dishwasher method. However, I typically wear a TX Rangers 5950 New Era wool hat. I personally would never put it In the dishwasher or completely soak it for fear of deformity. I simply spot scrub it with a hot wash cloth when the sweat stains get out of hand...looks like new and doesn't loose it shape or shrink.
  • barrettryanbarrettryan Members Posts: 1
    Yes, the dishwasher is the absolute best way to clean the hat. Take some liquid dishwashing soap and rub it into stains with soft brush or toothbrush and put it in top rack. form it with a hand towel and let it sit out and dry.

Trust me, way better than clothes washer as the temperture is scorching and the stains and all bacteria are gone. It will be a brand new hat.
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the dishwasher is the absolute best way to clean the hat. Take some liquid dishwashing soap and rub it into stains with soft brush or toothbrush and put it in top rack. form it with a hand towel and let it sit out and dry.

Trust me, way better than clothes washer as the temperture is scorching and the stains and all bacteria are gone. It will be a brand new hat.

The new High Efficiency clothes washers do a great job because they are moisture sensing which tends to not soak everything, and temperature control to prevent washing with high heat water. Also, the spin cycle will extract most of the moisture so that the dryer is unnecessary.

True story with ours, my wife accidentally put the Garmin road GPS (which was in a case) in with a load of clothes. Came out fine, has not skipped a beat a year later.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX
  • mayesmayes Members Posts: 330 ✭✭
    When you get home after your round, just wear it in shower. When you shampoo the hair, nail the hat too. (may not work on white)

Shake it dry and hang it on the shower head for a while. Ready to go without stains or that distinct smell of sweat and sunblock.
  • ctmason_98ctmason_98 TOTALLY outta the bag... Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always get a hat with a real University on it....?
  • KWheelsKWheels Members Posts: 313
    I have always used the dishwasher and its worked great, minus 2 hat types.

1. Fitted wool doesn't survive as it shrinks (I was young and ruined my favorite hat)

2. The Titleist mesh back fitted with structured brim hat. As Andy88ct said it changes the fit of the hat. I wouldn't say it was ruined but it shrinks a little and doesn't look as good.

I have alot of hats and most have been in the dishwasher at least a 1/2 dozen times or more. Never dry and if you can pull them before the cycle ends the better.
    Ping G30 10.5 Oban Devotion 7
    Adams 4060 14 Fuji Pro95
    Adams Tour Proto 19 Fuji 904HB
    Bridgestone J33 Combo 3-9 Proj X
    SeeMore FGP
    Vokey 48, 54, 58 KBS Tour
  • putts4bogeyputts4bogey Puppies and Butterflies Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    I wash my hats after each wearing especially during the heat of the summer. I spray Oxi Clean on the band and gently brush with a soft bristled toothbrush. I then machine wash in cold or warm water. After the wash cycle, I hand smooth the wrinkles then let air dry. I've been doing this for years and haven't suffered hat damage yet.
    What is and What Should Never Be
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville FloridaMembers Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I soaked my white Titleist hat in some warm water and Dawn for about an hour. Worked awesome. Rinsed it well and let it air dry. Clean, smells good, and held its original shape!
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • OldnavycdrOldnavycdr Members Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good options here. I've used Dawn and the sink several times. It works well but I think I'll give the dishwasher a go. A question about rust stains; my ball mark clip leaves a rust stain on the bill where I keep it. Any way to get that out? I've not found one so far.
  • Paule350Paule350 Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2013 #30
    I use a hat holder and throw it in the wash and let it air dry.. Looks like new every time
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it in the garbage and buy a new one.

Or use the dish washer.
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list