Removing sweat stains from hats

2»

Comments

• jkumpirejkumpire Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the hat. If it's cotton like the OP posted, go with the dishwasher method. However, I typically wear a TX Rangers 5950 New Era wool hat. I personally would never put it In the dishwasher or completely soak it for fear of deformity. I simply spot scrub it with a hot wash cloth when the sweat stains get out of hand...looks like new and doesn't loose it shape or shrink.

As an umpire I sweat so much I will roll though several wool hats a season. If you sweat a lot and wear wool you can scrub them but it's hard to keep them clean at all. After a few months they go into the trash. that's the best solution when the salt starts showing up. You can try places like Honigs.com, purchaseofficials.com, gerrydavis.com and umpattire.com for specialized cleaning products but most of the time, just throw and replace. Do not wash or dry clean wool caps.
  • Harleygolfer74Harleygolfer74 Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Spray bottle with a littel oxi clean, and a small brush..works every time
  • inthefairwayinthefairway Members Posts: 1,295 ✭✭
    Wear to the hat adds character!!!!
  • cycleridescyclerides Members Posts: 1

It is hard to get salt stains out of hats. It tends to die out the color. I use www.hatsaver.com. Spray it on one time and never have sweat stains again.

• eball33eball33 Mount VernonMembers Posts: 53 ✭✭

They make hat liners called "no sweat golf" hat liners i've always wondered about. I think they're only $10 a 6 pack. Has anyone tried those?

• HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This works for me, read it on here once: Wear hat in the shower after golf; shampoo, rinse, let air dry on a folded towel.

Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I tend to be a little more gentle with my hats than the dishwasher... I wet the hat and dab at the sweat stains with a sponge until they are gone. If it's really stinky sometimes I will sprinkle a little baking powder on the hat and "wash" in cool water. No need for harsh detergents or anything... Think about it, your head sweats and sweats all those detergents into your skin. No thanks.

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use Shout and toss them in the washing machine. Come out spotless

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • blueshirts12blueshirts12 BostonMembers Posts: 3

@KYMAR said:
    i would definitely hand wash it. On white hats I use a water and a powder detergent like

Seconded. I was amazed how well it took the stains out of a white hat the first time I used Oxiclean. Been using to every few months to refresh my hats since

Taylormade 2016 M2 9° HZRDUS Yellow 63
    Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 15°
    Taylormade P790 UDI 19° HZRDUS Black 85
    Mizuno MP-64 4-6 Project X 5.5
    Mizuno MP-4 7-PW Project X 5.5
    Vokey SM6 Raw 50.8F
    Vokey SM6 Raw 54.8M
    Vokey SM6 Raw 60.8M
    Ping Bergen Stealth

• cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LUMA said:
    Last night I soaked my white Titleist hat in some warm water and Dawn for about an hour. Worked awesome. Rinsed it well and let it air dry. Clean, smells good, and held its original shape!

Exactly what I was going to say. That Dawn is fantastic.

• MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 61 ✭✭

@brianmontgomery2000 said:
    Regular washer always works for me (shape and air dry).

This works for me also and I sweat profusely in humid weather, normally drink 16 oz. of water and a 16oz. Gatorade during the round.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Merrymonk said:

@brianmontgomery2000 said:
    Regular washer always works for me (shape and air dry).

This works for me also and I sweat profusely in humid weather, normally drink 16 oz. of water and a 16oz. Gatorade during the round.

Me too.. machine wash. iron the a shape back with a towel inside.

• WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

First, War Eagle, second and am I the only person that just washes hats in cold water, gentle cycle and air dries?

Been doing it for years. Tech hats, fitted, cotton, wool, truckers. Really never matters. Over the summer (5 months a yr here) I bet I wash each hat 2-3 times and I have a ton of hats.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • ibradleyibradley Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

Dishwasher has always worked well for me. Wife doesn’t seem to be a fan of it though.

• GalangaGalanga Members Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a pool, dunk in the pool water and let it dry. Lightly chlorinated. Works well enough and doesn’t affect the color much if at all.

• Ping G400 Max 10.5; UST Helium Proto 55 F3; 45 5/8"; D4.5
    • Ping G410 14.5 and 17.5; Alta CB Red 65 Stiff; 43" and 42 1/2"; D3
    • Ping G410 22; Alta CB Red 70 Stiff; D3
    • Ping iBlade, PW-5i; red dot; +1"; Alta CB Red Stiff; D3-4
    • Ping i210 50, Glide Stealth 54ES, and, 58WS or 58ES; red dot; +1"; Alta CB Red Stiff; D5+
    • Ping Y-Blade; 36.5/70; Ping Blackout

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With those stains, better burn it.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Oxiclean and rinsing under cold water has been working for me.

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toss it and buy another one.

• jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

@Davidv said:
    Toss it and buy another one.

That used to be my theory as well, but this time of year at hat would only last a couple of rounds for me. 95 degrees and 95% humidity every day this past week.

• MontanagolfMontanagolf Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

@WarEagleGolf said:
    First, War Eagle, second and am I the only person that just washes hats in cold water, gentle cycle and air dries?

Been doing it for years. Tech hats, fitted, cotton, wool, truckers. Really never matters. Over the summer (5 months a yr here) I bet I wash each hat 2-3 times and I have a ton of hats.

I do the same thing & have never had any issues.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Get sponsorship from OEM. You'll be wearing a new cap every week.
    Clean it as you may, it'll never look the same as it was brand new. Accept the worn look ( which I prefer, cause it even looks more comfortable ), or get a new cap every season.
    Soak with warm soapy water after each round will help, but the rinse will also take away some of the coloring.

• MontgomeryMontgomery Murrells inlet, scMembers Posts: 7 ✭✭

I rinse my hats immediately after the round while still wet with sweat, works well!

cmc3

• rjp217rjp217 Boston, MAMembers Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭

A little bit of detergent, mix it with water and a toothbrush. Works very well

In Bag:

TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Let me add another War Eagle!

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • SnodorkSnodork Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

+1 soak in mixture of oxyclean and dawn, rinse with cold water, hang dry...(luckily we have a furnace room and it’s always dry & warm.

Recently I’ve taken sweat stained hats into the pool with me getting nice soaked and air dried - surprisingly clean as a whistle.

• memurphy93memurphy93 Dallas, TXMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭

I toss them in the dishwasher (TOP-RACK) with no other dishes in there and can do 3 at a time in my machine - I got the hat thing from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/TOPHOUSE-Baseball-Washing-Cleaning-Protector/dp/B07GQTRKP2/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hat+rack+wash&qid=1565631374&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file