Anyone Ever Use Dish Soap and Water to Install Grips??

2»

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,274 ✭✭
    Nalajr wrote:

Thanks for the info everyone.

The air compressor interests me. I read about it a few months ago and thought I'd try it. I have access to a compressor with an attachment that has s small nozzle that fits perfectly in the hole at the end of the grips, but I don't have access to a vice close to it. So I had to improvise a bit.

I grabbed my grip and put the nozzle in the hole and started the air. The grip started on the shaft and went about 1/2 way without problems. It then kinda froze and I put a bit more air in the grip to get it going again and then I see a BIG BUBBLE come out on one side of the grip. It was as big as a tennis ball. I got it to go down and then got the grip all the way on, but that spot that bubbled out never was like it should be so I had to cut it off.

Right after doing it I thought it would've been much easier if I used some kind of lube to get it on easier. My good friend has a bike shop and whenever he puts grips on the handlebars he squirts Windex in them before putting them on with an air hose just like golf shops use to put on grips and they slide right on easy as pie and in a couple hours they're dry and won't budge.

So, do you guys that use air also use some kind of lubricant to get the grip to go on easier? Of course I know it would go much better if I had a vice to hold the shaft for me.

Thanks

Nalajr

I don't use any lube, but have a good shaft holder. I've never had a bubble form on installation either, not sure how that would happen as the air should freely flow between the grip and shaft.
  • ShamblesShambles Members Posts: 3,548 ✭✭
    dirtyboy wrote:

Nalajr wrote:

The air compressor interests me. I read about it a few months ago and thought I'd try it. I have access to a compressor with an attachment that has s small nozzle that fits perfectly in the hole at the end of the grips, but I don't have access to a vice close to it. So I had to improvise a bit.

I grabbed my grip and put the nozzle in the hole and started the air. The grip started on the shaft and went about 1/2 way without problems. It then kinda froze and I put a bit more air in the grip to get it going again and then I see a BIG BUBBLE come out on one side of the grip. It was as big as a tennis ball. I got it to go down and then got the grip all the way on, but that spot that bubbled out never was like it should be so I had to cut it off.

Right after doing it I thought it would've been much easier if I used some kind of lube to get it on easier. My good friend has a bike shop and whenever he puts grips on the handlebars he squirts Windex in them before putting them on with an air hose just like golf shops use to put on grips and they slide right on easy as pie and in a couple hours they're dry and won't budge.

So, do you guys that use air also use some kind of lubricant to get the grip to go on easier? Of course I know it would go much better if I had a vice to hold the shaft for me.

Thanks

Nalajr

I don't use any lube, but have a good shaft holder. I've never had a bubble form on installation either, not sure how that would happen as the air should freely flow between the grip and shaft.

Likewise, but I use dabs of kerosene on ordinary masking tape wrap.

You can actually force a bubble to form if you have excess air pressure and squeeze the open end shut with your fingers. Judicious relief of the squeeze makes some fun sounds, though it needs some balancing of the air pressure but I figured there wasn't going to be a market for some fool to make music or rude sounds with a golf grip so I left it at that. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Shambles
  • SpankapotamusSpankapotamus I can 3 putt that Members Posts: 556

Surely you have some WD-40 or something similar around. I used it for years with zero problems.

This. Works great in a pinch.
    Cobra ZL
    Titleist 915f 5w
    Cobra Fly Z XL 5h
    Ping Rapture v1 6-PW
    TM ATV 56 SW
    Odyssey Mini-T putter
  • Even FurtherEven Further Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    81PING wrote:

I like the idea of the soap being of or less. Even mineral spirits stink.

Any issues with diluting mineral spirits a bit to tone down the scent?

Look into the Brampton HF-100. Its odorless for the most part, way easy to work with. Its well worth the money. I won't even let my bottle go empty before I re-order.
    Driver... Cobra LTD Elements Chrome+
    Fairway... Adams Tight Lies (2013)
    Irons... 4-P Wilson F5 Kuro Kage 85R
    Wedge... Cleveland RTX-3
    Putter... Odyssey DFX 6600 Super Stroke 2.0 XL
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Nalajr wrote:

Thanks

Nalajr

Take it from a traditional tape/solvent guy. I switched to air this year and wondered why I waited so long. It's just stupid easy and you go play immediately. Home Depot has pancake compressors with attachments that work great. I got mine for around $75.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • hoganbenhoganben Members Posts: 8
    Nessism wrote:

If anyone uses this technique know that the soap will never evaporate. Use too much and the grips will likely slip since the soap acts like a lubricant. Bad idea overall. Get some mineral spirits or similar and install the grips properly.

I always like it when a guy on a thread ignores the testimonials of others (in this case that soap works) and just makes wild guesses. They are often the same guys that say don't add comments to old threads...lol. ps...I do wonder what the wives think of their husbands using lighter fluid or gas in the house.
  • bladestrikerbladestriker No. Cal.Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭
    hoganben wrote:

Nessism wrote:

If anyone uses this technique know that the soap will never evaporate. Use too much and the grips will likely slip since the soap acts like a lubricant. Bad idea overall. Get some mineral spirits or similar and install the grips properly.

I always like it when a guy on a thread ignores the testimonials of others (in this case that soap works) and just makes wild guesses. They are often the same guys that say don't add comments to old threads...lol. ps...I do wonder what the wives think of their husbands using lighter fluid or gas in the house.

I am pretty sure Brampton’s is soapy solution and is incredibly easy to use

I quit using mineral spirits once I tried it
    ‘16 M2 10.5º AD-DI 75X
    M2 tour 3 wood Kuro Kage 70x
    JPX 900 tour 4-PW PX lz 6.5
    Vokey 52º 56º 60º-PX lz 6.0
    Scotty Cameron AoP Newport 2 
    "I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean
  • boatrightgolf7boatrightgolf7 Members Posts: 191
    Shoot go buy some mineral spirits or try w d 40 maybe? From my experience the real stuff stick better and you dont get a loose grip It's called petroleum naptha.
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,853 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2018 #40
    The glue on the double sided grip tape is used to assist the grip to slid on, not for "gluing" the grip to the shaft. If the grip has the correct I/D/ for the butt of the shaft O.D. there is no need for the "glue" to hold the grip.

I had been using the air compressor to install grips for years, none had issue coming lose nor twisting, except for a few sets when the owner of the golf clubs brought me misfit grip for installation.

Out of hundred of sets of golf club, only one guy had issue with air installed grips. The grips would become twisted / misaligned after a season of playing and needed to be reset , Then again, he twist the grips on OEM installed grips with double sided tapes the same way...... strange.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jwat142jwat142 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    I’ve always used water and windex with water activated tape. Have never had a problem and windex evaporates pretty quickly.
    Taylormade M3 10.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue 70x
    Titleist 915F 16.5* / Rogue 80x Black
    Titleist 818 H1 19* / GD Tour AD-DI 105S
    Bridgestone J40 CB 3-PW / Modus 120S
    Vokey SM6 54*, 60* / DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS