Anyone else disappointed in the SLDR? - OP REVIEW ON PG 14 9/13/13

DaBigSaus

Let me preface this with I am in no way a TM hater. Ive played TM for years and currently gaming a R1 and play the Penta ball.

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR would be hands down the best driver ever.

I hit 10 with my R1 and 10 with a SLDR with my DI 7x in it. No difference in ball speed or spin.

The R1 still wins in all the categories including feel and looks. For some reason the SLDR looks big. Too Big.

Talk amongst yourselves....

The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea.... Discuss

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got done hitting the SLDR at golfsmith. Yep, I will not be getting one. Definitely wasn't anything special for me. Wasn't a bad club, but not worth changing out my R1. Had high hopes from the reviews on here too

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

TM marketing guy was on Sirius PGA tour radio the other day saying to expect a 20 yard increase with the Slider. Just sayin'

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Come on serious, this driver is nice to some it may not be worth giving up their R1 as both a really nice driver. If your looking for it to blow away their competitors I'm sure it will hold it's own. For those who own an R1 good for you as nothing wrong with them at all. TM puts out some nice stuff over the last several years. I can take my favorite set of irons, putter, driver etc and be disappointed with them from time to time. Usually people who are hitting what they have now good won't be blown away. Some may as it's something that works and works very well for others. I'm just glad they didn't come out with a white SLDR, oh no don't tell me they are.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='PingDaddy8' timestamp='1375918091' post='7627646']
Come on serious, this driver is nice to some it may not be worth giving up their R1 as both a really nice driver. If your looking for it to blow away their competitors I'm sure it will hold it's own. For those who own an R1 good for you as nothing wrong with them at all. TM puts out some nice stuff over the last several years. I can take my favorite set of irons, putter, driver etc and be disappointed with them from time to time. Usually people who are hitting what they have now good won't be blown away. Some may as it's something that works and works very well for others. I'm just glad they didn't come out with a white SLDR, oh no don't tell me they are.
[/quote]

No one said it was a bad club... I even said it wasn't a bad club. I just don't think people should expect to be blown away by it. I didn't even hit it bad when I tried it out. I hit it the same distance as my R1 just as the original poster said as well. The only reason I would ever think someone should buy it if they like the look and feel of it over the R1. Otherwise I'd rather save $200. Or just wait acoulple months and buy it for $200 less.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

What did yall expect? 10 more yards and for ball just to automatically go in the holes? I hit the SLDR and thought it was a very solid club...now is it going to be a bomber? I do not think so, but the adjusting is a lot better then the COMPASS that is on the R1 that is design to help people find their golf balls... Limit your expectations, because TM and other companies are just putting clubs left and right to beat out the competition..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I had the same experience went to my club and they had a SLDR and R1 (which I have not hit until today), all I can say I wouldn't say that I am a fan nor a hater of TM, I was expecting great things from the SLDR and was not the case, hit the R1 and wow, how did this driver get no much negative feedback, I would say that it could be one of the best TM offerings since the R7 (which I loved). The spin numbers same, speed same, distance nearly the same, not enough gain from SLDR to jump right on it. I found the feel to be so much better in the R1 than the SLDR which surprised me, all I have read is how great the SLDR feels, I didnt see it. Final conclusion was to me the Cleveland Classic Custom and the R1 are the two winners of the year, both can be cult drivers to me.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1375919304' post='7627766']
[quote name='PingDaddy8' timestamp='1375918091' post='7627646']
[/quote]

No one said it was a bad club... I even said it wasn't a bad club. I just don't think people should expect to be blown away by it. I didn't even hit it bad when I tried it out. I hit it the same distance as my R1 just as the original poster said as well. The only reason I would ever think someone should buy it if they like the look and feel of it over the R1. Otherwise I'd rather save $200. Or just wait acoulple months and buy it for $200 less.
[/quote] I 100% agree as I never understood why people think they should be blown away unless they are playing equipment 7-10 years ago

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Definitely disappointed initially. Got to hit one at Golfsmith a few days ago with a couple different shafts and none of them blew my skirt up. Still getting better numbers from my 909...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1375922844' post='7628188']
Definitely disappointed initially. Got to hit one at Golfsmith a few days ago with a couple different shafts and none of them blew my skirt up. Still getting better numbers from my 909...
[/quote]

Exactly what im saying. Cor is maxed out, so what do people expect? Marketing works!!

I agree the cor is max out and how many times are we going to hear the movement of weights, come on the fact is the COR standards as is puts a real push on OEm's not much more they can do, anyway with all of that did order a R1 with a Kuro Kage Tour proto today, lol! cant stop the addiction!!!HELP ME!!!

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1375919655' post='7627822']
Final conclusion was to me the Cleveland Classic Custom and the R1 are the two winners of the year, both can be cult drivers to me.
[/quote]

With which shaft? The Black Tie? (I'm in the market.)

• M5 w/AD GP
    XR Pro w/AD BB
    Apex w/AD DI
    0311T 4 - PW w/PX LZ
    0311 50* 54* 58* w/PX LZ
    ER2

[quote name='cthoend' timestamp='1375924721' post='7628428']
[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1375919655' post='7627822']
Final conclusion was to me the Cleveland Classic Custom and the R1 are the two winners of the year, both can be cult drivers to me.
[/quote]

With which shaft? The Black Tie? (I'm in the market.)
[/quote]
I have a Cleveland Classic with Tour Ad DI and the R1 I just ordered is the new Rory shaft KK Tour Proto TINI, unreal shaft, one of the best I have hit.

Signature of Solon CC

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375915998' post='7627366']
Let me preface this with I am in no way a TM hater. Ive played TM for years and currently gaming a R1 and play the Penta ball.

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR (even know it's the worst name of a club EVR) would be hands down the best driver ever.

I hit 10 with my R1 and 10 with a SLDR with my DI 7x in it. No difference in ball speed or spin.

The R1 still wins in all the categories including feel and looks. For some reason the SLDR looks big. Too Big.

THTS JST MY THGHTS RGRDNG TH NW SLDR.

[/quote]

The R1 is Junk stock and I do not know anyone who really likes it. The SLDR is bunches better by people who tested it I know and when I tried it with my AD DI 6 and BB6 and White Tie 6x3. Still not taking the cake. Although that is in the eye of the beholder! I see so many people on courses gaming Titleist 910/913's or even 909's. Razr Fit or the Tour Authentic version. Bridgestone J40. JV of Callaway Drivers and TourStage. Or even the old RBallz. This new equipment is just not pushing my buttons. The Titleist 913 was the only line this year I was satisfied with. The Xtreme gets mne sometimes but I do not use it much. It is my 913 or TA Razr Fit all day long. SLDR has my love over the R1 though but it will go back and forth from one to another in what they like.

Callaway BB 815 DB Diamond 10.5* AD DI 6
Titleist 915FD 18* GD AD DI 7
PING i25 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 TOUR 130
TVD-M TX3 VOKEY 50* 56* 60* KBS HI-REV
Odyssey Prototype #1
Bridgestone B330S or Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1375923441' post='7628266']
I really liked the original Slider with the Mizuno badge.... MP600.
[/quote]

Appx. 2 MP600s sold worldwide.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1375916293' post='7627400']
The club is such a gimmick, which all new golf clubs are to a degree, and club heads cannot get any faster! It's all about having the proper fit to your swing. There are no magic bullets.
[/quote]

They can get faster, and they are. All WRXers just assume that when Taylormade says "longest driver" they mean 10-20 yards. In reality each driver probably only gains you a 5 MPH ball speed maybe giving you 1-5 extra yards, which you will probably not notice.

Honolulu, Hi
WITB Link

[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1375926843' post='7628704']

I went in today to a brick and mortar with my R1 Black shafted with an AD DI 7x that just bombs expecting that the SLDR (even know it's the worst name of a club EVR) would be hands down the best driver ever.

[/quote]

If the SLDR did not have an AD DI then of course the results are going to be not even close. Just saying as you do not state if the SLDR had the AD DI when it was being tested. The R1 is Junk stock and I do not know anyone who really likes it. The SLDR is bunches better by people who tested it I know and when i tried it. Still not taking the cake. Although that is in the eye of the beholder! I see so many people on courses gaming Titleist 910/913's or even 909's. Razr Fit or the Tour Authentic version. Bridgestone J40. JV of Callaway Drivers and TourStage. Or even the old RBallz. This new equipment is just not pushing my buttons. The Titleist 913 was the only line this year I was satisfied with. The Xtreme gets mne sometimes but I do not use it much. It is my 913 or TA Razr Fit all day long. SLDR has my love over the R1 though but it will go back and forth from one to another in what they like.
[/quote]

If you take the time to read my post. I did hit both with my AD DI 7x in them both.

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1375923300' post='7628250']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1375922844' post='7628188']
[/quote]

Exactly what im saying. Cor is maxed out, so what do people expect? Marketing works!!
[/quote]

I've got one 909D2 with a Whiteboard 75x and one with an Accra Dymatch and honestly haven't found anything really worth kicking either out of the bag. Did really enjoy the Razr Hawk tour I had for awhile but I broke the seam on it and sold the replacement.

Now if someone dropped a G25 with a Rip phenom X flex I might be inclined to try it out...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1375927129' post='7628748']
[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1375926843' post='7628704']

[/quote]

If the SLDR did not have an AD DI then of course the results are going to be not even close. Just saying as you do not state if the SLDR had the AD DI when it was being tested. The R1 is Junk stock and I do not know anyone who really likes it. The SLDR is bunches better by people who tested it I know and when i tried it. Still not taking the cake. Although that is in the eye of the beholder! I see so many people on courses gaming Titleist 910/913's or even 909's. Razr Fit or the Tour Authentic version. Bridgestone J40. JV of Callaway Drivers and TourStage. Or even the old RBallz. This new equipment is just not pushing my buttons. The Titleist 913 was the only line this year I was satisfied with. The Xtreme gets mne sometimes but I do not use it much. It is my 913 or TA Razr Fit all day long. SLDR has my love over the R1 though but it will go back and forth from one to another in what they like.
[/quote]

If you take the time to read my post. I did hit both with my AD DI 7x in them both.
[/quote]

Come on why would he read your whole post? Silly talk sir!

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1375927001' post='7628730']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I know I sold 3 of them, so that total is 5.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1375917465' post='7627544']
TM marketing guy was on Sirius PGA tour radio the other day saying to expect a 20 yard increase with the Slider. Just sayin'
[/quote]
That 20 yd thing must be a requirement. Exact number the rep kept spitting out the other day in my store.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love how as soon as the SLDR was released, it seems the MP600 has become everyones favorite driver.

I will say that I bought into the hype. I never got numbers for the R1 as I didn't like the look, sound, or feel. I did however hit the SLDR today, it works way better for me than the V2 supertri I have. Launches are 16+ and can still see sub 2000 spin rates if I hit it well. Still needs some tweaking for consistency as I am a little sporadic at the moment with the stock settings as far as hitting center contact, but I can't say I am disappointed with results. This is with a 9.5 set to 8(couldn't tell you digital loft number), but I also have a +2-3 AoA so I am a little better off than a lot of people in that regard.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Spilly' timestamp='1375928816' post='7628962']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I love how as soon as the SLDR was released, it seems the MP600 has become everyones favorite driver.
[/quote]

Classic looks, Simple unfussy adjustability and decent stock shafts made it a winner in my book... however I did have a problem with the Fast Track system catching the floor on my take away. They addressed that problem with the MP630 which was an awesome driver but they put a noodle Fubuki in it... Great head though... Not that many people try Mizuno drivers as they aren't really hyped like some other OEMs but if you did a blind driver test I'm pretty sure they'd hold there own.

I haven't had a go of the TM SLDR yet but I will do, the harsh feel of the R1 & R11 put me of those drivers and I wasnt overkeen on the White. This looks much cleaner and from what I've read they have improved the sound and feel by loosing MWT ports and the sole plate.... If it out performs the 905R I'm curretly gaming then I will pick one up.

I tried the SLDR against my R1, the numbers were inconclusive. Had a few longer,had a few shorter, but found more consistency with my R1, but that could be that I am used to my R1. No real gains, but no losses. If I hadn't have bought my R1 only a month ago, I probably would have bought the SLDR over the R1, as it looks better at address, sounds MUCH better, and had a better feel. For kicks, however, I took the stock SLDR shaft and put it in my R1, and if it wasn't for the sound, the feel was there, and it performed MUCH better... just sounds not as 'nice'. For the poster who compared their R1 with a Speeder against the SLDR, I would think your results would come down to cosmetic issues -- looks and sound. I was really hoping to be blown away with a much lower spin, maybe better smash factor in addition to cosmetic issues, and I wasn't. So yes, I did prefer the SLDR over the R1, just not enough to justify forking out 4 or 5 bills only a few weeks after buying my other driver.... I know I AM going to end up re-shafting my R1, but that is still much cheaper... and down the road if I find a good enough deal on a used SLDR head, may make the change.. just not right now

For what it is worth, though, is that I was able to witness at least a dozen other demos of the SLDR to various other clubs, and for all but one or 2, there was a significant improvement. As I have always said, this is what is great about so many great offerings by OEMs today- there is something out there for everyone!

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

Add me on the disappointed list. I'm comfortable with being a TMAG hater but I was hoping this would be the driver that took me to the darkside. It looked great but once I hit it, the honeymoon was over. Just didn't fit me at all. Super spinney, launch was too high, and it felt like it had no mass behind the ball. I will say that it was fairly accurate. I didn't hit any shots that would have missed the fairway.

Overall, it was super accurate but not very long for me.