2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

Hey, everyone. I just stumbled on this forum here, and decided to see if there were any golfers near me looking for a player or a group to play with. I have a fairly regular group that I play with, but our numbers have been dwindling the last couple years. Marriages, babies, etc. have taken their toll on my regular group, and I'm going all "I Love You Man" looking for more playing partners. I have in the past had 6-12 players I could count on, but recently it's been 3 of us regulars, and a few others thrown in here and there. We are all average golfers. I am usually the better of my playing partners, playing to around 8. Golfing ability is not paramount when I'm playing with someone, I'm more about having a good time and maybe a few beers than the score. But, normally I enjoy playing a game or two. Usually, our games end up being $5 a side skins and close to the pin on par 3's. Nothing expensive, but just something to keep it interesting and maybe the best player off sets his greens fees.

Another bit of information, maybe more importantly, I am moving to Cuyahoga Falls in the next couple months. I am desperately looking for some playing friends in that area to make the transition more smooth.

I am currently in the Warren/ Youngstown area, but play all over NE Ohio. Some regular courses I (and my playing group) visit regularly are: Pine Lakes, Yankee Run, Tamer Win, Tam O'Shanter, Oak Tree, Flying B, Knoll Run, Bronzwood, Reserve Run.

Courses I have played in the Akron/ Canton area for those on that end, Windmill Lakes, Kent State course, Brookeledge.

I hope someone sees this, not sure how much traffic this section gets.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 38, and the two that I regularly play with are 38 and 53. I am lucky, I am at that age that I can still keep up with younger people, but I prefer to play with people a couple years older. Mostly because of the knowledge I can learn from someone older, and because I tend to find the on course conversation gravitating towards "the old days" as opposed to "last night".

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Also, I have never made it to the west side of Cleveland to golf. Any courses out that way to suggest? Up that way, the only courses I have played are Manakiki and Tanglewood (other side of town, I know). I keep intending to play Boulder Creek, but haven't made it there yet. Also, I want to play Brandywine sometime soon. Any suggestions/ reviews on courses worth making the drive to the other side of town for?

I'm about midway between Cleveland and Akron, 50ish, around a 6, and always looking for a game. I play a lot at Sleepy Hollow since it's close (and a great course for the money). As far as recommendations go, I find that I mostly favor east side courses like Boulder Creek, Windmill Lakes, and especially Fowler's Mill. Chardon Lakes and Punderson are also nice tracks. Hawthorne Valley in Solon just went public a few years ago, that's a really nice Donald Ross design.

[quote name='b0geyman' timestamp='1376019473' post='7637626']
I'm about midway between Cleveland and Akron, 50ish, around a 6, and always looking for a game. I play a lot at Sleepy Hollow since it's close (and a great course for the money). As far as recommendations go, I find that I mostly favor east side courses like Boulder Creek, Windmill Lakes, and especially Fowler's Mill. Chardon Lakes and Punderson are also nice tracks. Hawthorne Valley in Solon just went public a few years ago, that's a really nice Donald Ross design.
[/quote]

I've played Windmill many times, but all the other courses you mentioned have been on my "must play soon" list for a while. I see deals on Fowler's Mill and Sleepy Hollow (and I think Chardon Lakes) on golfnow all the time. I think that my buddy and I are going to plan a trip to Cuyahoga Falls soon, and do Brandywine, Brookledge over nighter. I will have to message you when we make plans, you can meet up with us and be our local knowledge.

I'm 41 and play to a 10. I live in stow which is next to C. Falls and I play with two other WRXers often. We would love to have you join us. Just a warning, we are serious club Ho's and we might turn you into one.
On a side note, windmill is having there big tent sale though Sunday. It's one of my favorite things to go to.
Pm me and we'll hook up.

Coming to the Akron area...
Play Seven Hills in Hartville, Turkeyfoot in Akron. Chippewa is a nice track.
The owners of Paradise Lake have put quite a bit of effort and money into the course.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='adams603' timestamp='1376572427' post='7680864']
I'm 41 and play to a 10. I live in stow which is next to C. Falls and I play with two other WRXers often. We would love to have you join us. Just a warning, we are serious club Ho's and we might turn you into one.
On a side note, windmill is having there big tent sale though Sunday. It's one of my favorite things to go to.
Pm me and we'll hook up.
[/quote]

I am one of those WRXers ;-) as a matter of fact, adams603 and I are going to try and repeat our two man scramble victory next week at Paradise lakes!

I live in Cuyahoga Falls so we definitely need to play some golf or drink some beer!

and yes I am a club ho!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Pm me and we'll hook up.
[/quote]

I saw that Windmill is having their tent sale this week. Which is why I have. to. avoid. Windmill. at. all. cost! Joking, I'm about as big a club ho as there is, I just operate on a smaller budget than some on here. I just bought a whole new set of clubs (minus putter and bag- coming soon, haha) in the last couple weeks. You know, just in case someone comes to visit and didn't bring their clubs (that's the line I have been using on my girlfriend, anyways.) I'd love to hook up sometime for a round soon. Next time I'm up that way, I'll have to see if you guys are playing. Thanks for the invite!

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1376576230' post='7681138']
Pm me and we'll hook up.
[/quote]

I am one of those WRXers ;-) as a matter of fact, adams603 and I are going to try and repeat our two man scramble victory next week at Paradise lakes!

I live in Cuyahoga Falls so we definitely need to play some golf or drink some beer!

and yes I am a club ho!
[/quote]

Also, refer to my last post about the club ho "problem" (it's only a problem in other's eyes, not mine). You guys sound like my kind of golfers. I take it serious, somewhat, but if I have a bad round, I can guarantee that I will drink beer well and at least have fun. I will definitely take you guys up on your invite next chance I get!

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1376574871' post='7681040']
Coming to the Akron area...
Play Seven Hills in Hartville, Turkeyfoot in Akron. Chippewa is a nice track.
The owners of Paradise Lake have put quite a bit of effort and money into the course.
[/quote]

I will definitely check those courses out, thanks for the recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
Welcome to the Cleveland/Metro Area. I like you am a Club Ho. I think the staff at Golfsmith is sick of me (LOL).

I am also looking for more people to play with. I have a flexible schedule and really want to play more golf. I play to about a 12 and just turned 40. Don't know why but all of sudden I have the bug and am trying to improve.

If you are looking for some decent courses on the Southwest side of town....Pine Hills & Sleepy Hollow are 2 of my favorites. Fast greens but beautiful tracks. Oh yeah and never play sleepy past 8:30 on a weekend for it is a parking lot.

Send me an email if your group is looking for another sometime: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email].

Good Luck

[quote name='GolfDiseasedFool' timestamp='1377459173' post='7741745']
Hello,
Welcome to the Cleveland/Metro Area. I like you am a Club Ho. I think the staff at Golfsmith is sick of me (LOL).

I am also looking for more people to play with. I have a flexible schedule and really want to play more golf. I play to about a 12 and just turned 40. Don't know why but all of sudden I have the bug and am trying to improve.

If you are looking for some decent courses on the Southwest side of town....Pine Hills & Sleepy Hollow are 2 of my favorites. Fast greens but beautiful tracks. Oh yeah and never play sleepy past 8:30 on a weekend for it is a parking lot.

Send me an email if your group is looking for another sometime: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email].

Good Luck
[/quote]

Thanks for the post. I will definitely hit you up in the near future!

Hey, found this thread. I would love to get with a group that plays fairly regularly. I'm from the Youngstown area but I don't mind travelling to try new courses. I made it up to Boulder Creek earlier this year and I am going to try to get to Windmill Lakes if I can before it snows. There are a few nice courses down this way too if anybody wants to come this way. I am 38 and I am consistently shooting in the 80s...hoping to break 80 this year. If anybody is looking for a partner to get on the course with, hit me up. THanks.

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1378093777' post='7784337']
Hey, found this thread. I would love to get with a group that plays fairly regularly. I'm from the Youngstown area but I don't mind travelling to try new courses. I made it up to Boulder Creek earlier this year and I am going to try to get to Windmill Lakes if I can before it snows. There are a few nice courses down this way too if anybody wants to come this way. I am 38 and I am consistently shooting in the 80s...hoping to break 80 this year. If anybody is looking for a partner to get on the course with, hit me up. THanks.
[/quote]

Id like to hit the QUARRY later in the month maybe on a weekday. Let me know if anyone is interested. Supposed to be the best public course in the area. Maybe we could get a couple foursomes.

I would love to play the Quarry. I could probably get a couple players.

Kymar and I are playing Brookledge this afternoon around 5-5:30 if anyone wants to join. It should only be $11 to walk till dark.

Hit me with a PM if you want to play so that I get a notification on my phone.

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)

Damn, I'm stuck doing work around the house today, or else I would definitely be in for Brookledge. It's a fun track, have a good time. Please shoot me a pm next time.

Oh jeez! Here we go, "Housework" and "can't go's"

two quotes from Monty Python's Black night come immeditately to mind

As far as these excuses go "None shall pass"

And Just because it's funny "Come on, you Pansy's!"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Oh, I'll probably get 9 in tonight or hit the range later, but I am in Warren today which would make getting to Brookledge in time tough. Plus, I don't want to rush the yard work and incur a flesh wound...

BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

What are you going to do, Bleed on me?

Enjoy your range time and 9 holes Irish, I'm sure Ill get another chance to embarrass myself this season.

(are you suggesting coconut's migrate?)

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I am assuming you're talking about Tam O'Shanter in Canton. How is that course? I hear Tam O'Shanter and I think of the one in Hermitage, PA. A decent track, but I wouldn't recommend a special trip there.

I played at the Hermitage one. I never played at the other one. I work pretty close to Hermitage and I had free passes to use there by the end of the year. I still have a free 9 holes to go. Tam O in Hermitage is definitely not a special trip place. The only places around here that are really special trip places in my opinion are Oak Tree CC, Links @ Firestone Farms, and maybe Pine Lakes. There are nice courses here but nothing you cant find anywhere else. Where do you usually play?

I play everywhere. I could add a couple hidden gem type places near the Youngstown area that I might take a short trip for but wouldn't make a day of it. Flying B and Salem Hills in Salem are nice courses and very well taken care of. Number 10 at Flying B may be the toughest golf hole I have played in the area. The green is just not fair. Knoll Run in Campbell is a nice track as well, short but a lot of target golf. Bedford Trails right down the street is a fun course as well, very tight and tree lined for the most part. Bring and extra sleeve of balls, lol. If you ever have a chance to make a trip up north to Bronzwood in Kinsman (20-30 mon. north of Y-Town), it's worth the trip. Some nondescript holes, but a bunch of elevation changes and a few really fun holes. Walnut Run in Cortland can be a fun track, but the weather has to be cooperating because I am not sure they have the budget to really combat dry weather. Riverview is a fun course to play, but beware- if there's been a lot of rain the course floods on account of the river running around the perimiter and the mosquitos are unbearable. I love Reserve Run, fun course, but I hate Kennsington. It's normally a total dump- patchy fairways, not a single pitch mark repaired on greens, etc. Plus, they charge like it's top notch. Yankee Run can be a fun course, depending on how well they've been taking care of it. They always have some big money scrambles, I played in one last year where you could have 3 + a pro or 5 non-pros, I think the winning team got over $3000, and second and third cashed nice, too. Needless to say, my team didn't finish in the money. If I had to make a list of my favorites around the area, I'd say Flying B, Knoll Run, Bronzwood, Oak Tree, Firestone Farms. In no particular order.

I play Knoll Run a lot....that and Reserve Run are the closest to my house. I go to Knoll Run when I want to build my confidence. For some reason (probably because there are so many short holes) I shoot my best scores there. I haven't been to Flying B yet but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I only played Kensington once earlier this year and I wasn't impressed either. I haven't done any of the Yankee Run scrambles yet, but I always go there when they have the unlimited golf and burger buffet for $40. Its too hard to get my group of guys together to play a scramble....plus none of us can putt good enough to take advantage of it. I like playing scrambles though and I usually do well in them. I travel to PA towards PGH to play too. There are a few top notch courses over there.

I am planning on playing Brookledge on Tuesday the 10th after work around 5:15 if anyone wants to play. Looks like it will be a little warm out!!!!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone able to play in the Cuyahoga Falls area Thursday? I'm free all afternoon, would prefer to play 18 sometime in the early afternoon, maybe try to score a GolfNow.com deal for around 1:00, but I would settle for a quick nine later on if no one can go out early but can play later. Shoot me a quick PM if you are interested.