Putter Alignment Aid on Ball... Thoughts?

ZakRyan

I'm interested in your opinions on drawing a line on your golf ball for alignment for putting. Do you think it's a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play? Or do you think it's a brilliant idea that has helped your putting stats?

I personally draw lines on my balls. I saw someone doing it, so I went to the store and got the little clip-on stencil tool to draw the line. I have seen a big jump in my putting numbers. I'm not sure if it is so much that it helps me line putts up or that my practicing with the line has made my stroke near perfect. When I first tried it, The line disappeared when I hit the putt. But after practice, I've got it to where the line is absoluetly perfect during the entire roll.

I suggest practicing with a sharpie line on your ball! It will teach you to get the putter face perfectly squared at impact.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour Driver 9.5°
Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it, didn't like it. Just seemed like I could never get the line vertical, so I'd see a curved line standing over the ball. Worked sometimes on flat greens, but almost never on breaking putts. Ended up backing out and readjusting, which just slowed things down too much. This in turn caused me to rush the stroke to make up time.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

It's the moral equivalent of those silly LPGA Tour players who have their caddie stand behind them and line them up on every shot. Look idiotic, slows down play as is far from spirit of the game.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376232401' post='7652790']
[u]I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless[/u]. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

It's the moral equivalent of those silly LPGA Tour players who have their caddie stand behind them and line them up on every shot. Look idiotic, slows down play as is far from spirit of the game.
[/quote]

I know, right? Doesn't work at all for those guys playing on TV....

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='Etiger83' timestamp='1376231504' post='7652744']
I use a line but only on putts 5' and in. Feel like on longer putts my eye picks up the line better over the ball than lining it up behind the ball.
[/quote]

I'm the same. I line it up from about 10' and in.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1376226868' post='7652444']
Tried it, didn't like it. Just seemed like I could never get the line vertical, so I'd see a curved line standing over the ball. Worked sometimes on flat greens, but almost never on breaking putts. Ended up backing out and readjusting, which just slowed things down too much. This in turn caused me to rush the stroke to make up time.
[/quote]

Go to a golf store (or even Wal-Mart) and buy the little stencil tool that snaps onto your ball. Then take a sharpie and its as easy as pie!

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

[/quote]

Come on, man. That is a silly statement. P

[quote name='stryper' timestamp='1376236167' post='7653030']
[u]I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless[/u]. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then why dont the guys lining up the line drawn on the ball putt better than those who dont? Ben Crenshaw made a metric buttload of putts without doing it.

When somebody superstitiously continues to engage in a habitual behavior, the fact they keep doing it does not prove it "works". It's a mental/emotional crutch like Keegan Bradley or Jim Furyk backing away from the ball repeatedly or Jason Duffner's digusting lip stuffed full of snuff. Don't confuse the fact that someone on TV does something with any idea that it is necessary or helpful.

I don't know for sure but I'd bet Steve Stricker putts without lining up a line on his ball. His putting "works" better than of the liner-uppers currently in the game.

I don't use a line, but I do think it is vitally important to aim the putter face square to the line of the putt. If you need the line to get the putter square, use it. If you don't use it, be confident that you have the ability to aim the face accurately.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

i do it and it does help me on short puts..

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

[/quote]

I disagree that is a crutch. It is just an alignment aid. Nothing more, nothing less. Saying its a "crutch" is like saying that having an alignment aid milled on the flange of your putter is a crutch... It's absurd.

I started practicing with the line on the ball and I liked that it helped me get the club face square at impact. I soon after took it to the course and saw a drop in my PPR stats. A significant drop.

Is it for everyone? Obviously not, but it does help me and MANY others.

P.S. As for the LPGA statement; I agree there. That is not good. That is someone else coming into play when it should just be you, completely different than drawing a line on your ball.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

[/quote]

Or perhaps it's used by those that aren't as visually acute as others. I bet you'd like Stricker to 'stroke' it for you ;)[size=4] [/size]

If your vision is acute enough to see the hole while you're crouched behind the ball lining up your line then you can certain see the hole when you're standing over the ball.

The line ritual provides the illusion of control. Some people find that comforting. Do whatever makes you feel good. But it's still just a habit.

Golf is now being taught and practiced on television as though it requires all sorts of ritualistic procrastination before actually striking the ball. This is just another of those rituals.

[quote name='WilCox' timestamp='1376250395' post='7654216']
I think it's all about how our minds process information. I see and feel the line of putt better with no line on my ball, but that's me.
[/quote]

Of course you can. Because your focus is on the line of the putt and not on the ball. Directing ones attention to the target rather than to the ball or to your swing mechanics used to be Sports Psychology 101 stuff. Nowadays the magazines and bookstores are full of advice to pay attention to every darned thing imaginable instead of the target.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376250478' post='7654232']
If your vision is acute enough to see the hole while you're crouched behind the ball lining up your line then you can certain see the hole when you're standing over the ball.

The line ritual provides the illusion of control. Some people find that comforting. Do whatever makes you feel good. But it's still just a habit.

Golf is now being taught and practiced on television as though it requires all sorts of ritualistic procrastination before actually striking the ball. This is just another of those rituals.
[/quote]

Because every golf hole is so generic where every lined up putt is aimed at the hole.

[quote name='Undaunted' timestamp='1376252187' post='7654474']

[/quote]

Because every golf hole is so generic where every lined up putt is aimed at the hole.
[/quote]

If your vision is acute enough to see the TARGET LINE while you're crouched behind the ball lining up your line then you can certain see the TARGET LINE when you're standing over the ball.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376246219' post='7653786']
[quote name='stryper' timestamp='1376236167' post='7653030']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[u]Then why dont the guys lining up the line drawn on the ball putt better than those who dont? Ben Crenshaw made a metric buttload of putts without doing it.[/u]

When somebody superstitiously continues to engage in a habitual behavior, the fact they keep doing it does not prove it "works". It's a mental/emotional crutch like Keegan Bradley or Jim Furyk backing away from the ball repeatedly or Jason Duffner's digusting lip stuffed full of snuff. Don't confuse the fact that someone on TV does something with any idea that it is necessary or helpful.

I don't know for sure but I'd bet Steve Stricker putts without lining up a line on his ball. His putting "works" better than of the liner-uppers currently in the game.
[/quote]

Tiger, when he's on, drops tons of bombs using the line. Faxon, widely regarded as one of the best putters on tour, uses a line as well. Finding a "better" putter than even these two guys would be an iffy proposition at best.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376253509' post='7654654']
[quote name='Undaunted' timestamp='1376252187' post='7654474']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If your vision is acute enough to see the TARGET LINE while you're crouched behind the ball lining up your line then you can certain see the TARGET LINE when you're standing over the ball.

[/quote]

Looking at the target line from behind the ball, staring directly down the target line and using your dominant eye to line it up is completely different than standing over the ball and having to turn your head sideways to aim. There are so many more variables to account for when standing over the ball and having to turn your head to the left (or right) to try and figure out where you are aimed.

So how did all those generations of putters ever get the ball on line before these guys started crouching behind the ball and fiddling around interminably?

I can name dozens of good putters who have never putted with a line on the ball. I can name dozens of good putters who do putt with a line on the ball. If one or the other were an actual advantage then everyone would do it.

Jason Duffner drives the ball really well after waggling the club for half a minute. Yet there's Adam Scott who also drives the ball really well without all that waggling. The waggle obviously doesn't matter. Neither does playing Rain Man with lining up a mark on your ball. It's just an affectation. A habit.

If you truly believe it gains you advantage to mess around with the line have at it. People believe stupider things than that all the time.

I'm not sure how you can correlate 'waggling the club for half a minute' to an added alignment aid to assist with putting. Does Dufner wag his club before he putts each time? Why does Adam Scott use a Futura with all the added alignment benefits rather than a basic, non-alignment aided Newport? Because what works for some may not work for others - something I learned at a very young age.

Fred Couples has played his entire career without a glove... So does that mean that gloves are just a crutch? I mean (as you're saying) if one person is successful with (or without) something then that means that everybody else is just wasting their time.

There is a reason the majority of pros have a line on their ball. As far as past generations, that's just another absurd comment; they also used leather balls filled with feathers. Why don't we still do that? Or use wooden drivers? Or tee the ball up with sand? Times change and advancements are made. Pros like the line so much that the ball manufactures print their model name as a line, for some pros that's what they use, for others it's not quite enough.

Lining the ball up from address only cannot be compared to lining the ball up from behind the ball using both eyes down the line. When you first start using the line you will line it up from behind and see the line perfectly, but when you get to address it can look off. Which shows that the view at address is deceiving.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°