Division III Roll Call

2»

Comments

• SV GolferSV Golfer Big hitter the Lama. Long. Members  182WRX Points: 55Handicap: +2Posts: 182 Fairways
    I've some questions like jay. What kind of resumes did you guys have in your search to play college golf?

Just a little background on me...

I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. Averaged 37 strokes in my junior year of high school and led the team to a section championship. Won two local tournaments in the summer with scores under par and the course ratings.

My problem is that this summer, I can't really afford to play in AJGA events. That's just the situation my family is in right now. I'm trying to qualify for the Pennsylvania Amateur and the US Junior and play in some PGA Junior Series events, but was anyone in the same boat as me?

I'm kinda clueless as to how to go about all this lol
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers  2488WRX Points: 153Handicap: +2.8Posts: 2,488 Platinum Tees
    You don't really need to play AJGA tournaments if you want to go to a D3 school. If you find some schools you want to maybe go to you should contact the coach with a resume or something along those lines. My coach came and watched me, a lot of times they will do that but they will probably keep track of your scores if you let them know what upcoming tournaments you are going to be playing. Keep in mind D3 has no athletic scholarships so at any given time they are probably not looking at too many players because there are just not that many that are gonna come play (except for Methodist who has something crazy like 100 people try out). If anything you can probably walk on if you are averaging 37 right now, D3 golf is not at the same level. You can get on most teams if you can shoot aroung 75 consistently.

Jay-When I was a freshman and sophomore I was shooting in the high 70s to low 90s. I was down to averaging around 76 or 77 by the time I was a junior and senior and I have been fairly successful in D3. The competition level, at least in our conference, is not much above what it was when I played the highest classification high school golf in Texas.

Littleprov1x-Are you still at Claremont? If so are you gonna be at West Region In a week or so, I would like to see that bag.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind PX 6.0
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0
  • littleprov1xlittleprov1x Members  1053WRX Points: 93Posts: 1,053 Platinum Tees
    TLUBulldogGolf wrote on Mar 28 2008, 09:22 AM:
    Littleprov1x-Are you still at Claremont? If so are you gonna be at West Region In a week or so, I would like to see that bag.

Sure thing...looking forward to the Texas trip. Not playing my finest golf right now, but hopefully I'll sort it our before next Monday.
    Posted:
  • StugyGolfStugyGolf PING Player Members  669WRX Points: 0Posts: 669 Bunkers
    How many tourneys you guys all play during your spring?
    Posted:
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers  2488WRX Points: 153Handicap: +2.8Posts: 2,488 Platinum Tees
    We have played three so far, our tourney, another team in our conference's tournament, and the Callaway Invitatonal in Georgia. We have two more scheduled and one other that our second 5 will probably end up going to.

And hopefully nationals image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind PX 6.0
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0
  • wholeinwon wholeinwon CanadaMembers  2260WRX Points: 129Posts: 2,260 Platinum Tees
    Here is the top 10 from a local D3 tournament, I noticed D'Youville is on there and someone in this post said he goes there (I'm assuming the 5th place finisher is him going by names...

I'm not sure how big this tourney was, or what it was, but it was the first one that popped up on a google search of the closest d3 division to me.

Player Standings

Rank Player Team Total Par

1 Robinson, Josh Keuka College 70 -1

2 Burt, James SUNY ESF 82 +11

3 Carrington, Todd Cazenovia College 83 +12

4 Williams, Owen D'Youville College 84 +13

t 5 Anthon, Jon D'Youville College 85 +14

t 5 Lowry, Kevin Keuka College 85 +14

t 7 Fitzpatrick, Terry SUNY ESF 86 +15

t 7 Wolak, Ben Utica College 86 +15

t 9 Iles, Tyler Utica College 88 +17

t 9 Luley, Ton SUNY IT 88 +17
    Posted:

Advertisement
    We hosted a tourney this weekend (unfortunately second round cancelled due to bad call from coaches)

Results were:

1- Even 72

2- +1 73

3- +3 75

4- +4 76

T5- +6 78

T5- +6 78

7- +7 79

T8-+8 80

T8- +8 80

10- +9 81

Im betting winning score would have ended up being 145 (+1) if we had (and should have as weather was better today than yesterday) played today.
    Posted:
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members  2173WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,173
    Where did you finish for the Scalf Tournament? How fast are the greens are Ford's Colony...any idea of the stemp #?
    Posted:
    stimp no clue, they were probly at least 10 on friday, but the rain overnight slowed them down noticeably, especially the run out after the hole.

I was in that t5 78. Played the front nine fine, but got some tough bounces on the back that put me into some of the spots you should never put yourself in. My roommate is the who came in with the 72 though.
    Posted:
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members  2173WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,173
    Nice stuff...are you guys in South Dorm? Must be awesome having that new course right next to campus.
    Posted:
  • turco83086turco83086 Members  20WRX Points: 0Posts: 20
    Transylvania University. Lexington, KY. We've won conference the last two seasons and finished 12th and 11th respectively in the NCAA's. Hoping next year it's out in Cali like they're telling us. Kinda tired of the crappy weather Indy and ATL has provided in the past.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • toys4tots16toys4tots16 Members  327WRX Points: 77Posts: 327 Greens
    hey, I play number 1 for St. Norbert College out of De Pere Wisconsin. We are in the midwest conference and recieve an automatic bid to nationals if you win the conference... which sucks. I hate the qualifying system, I know I am good enough to compete to win the d3 individual title but my team is not near good enough to get there... so I'm pretty much SOL.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.