2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Accra Axiv XT Series

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Axiv series is Accra's response to everyone that wanted a somewhat firmer tip shaft to fit an even wider spectrum of golfers.

Axiv features a 4-axis weave in a single ply to stabilize the butt section where deformation can be great for golfers with strong transitions.

My specs - Smooth tempo with an average swing speed of 103-105 but an aggressive release. Hcp is about 11. I typically prefer medium torque firm flex shafts as I am not a strong shaft loader.

Installation

R5TP 9.5*. The 2" bottom bore to groundline measure is 2" which is the highest you'll see in any head and typical of TM's. This serves to noticeably soften the shaft flex however the shaft used must be stable enough in the tip to handle this configuration. Shafts with softer tips or susceptibility to deformation perform poorly in the long hosel/short insertion of TM heads. Generally I look at shafts with tips similar or stiffer than Fuji 757 to validate their ability to handle the install.

XT60 M4 (stiff) went straight in without tipping. Basically I wanted to provide this shaft the acid test. The XT60 has the highest torque in the Accra Axiv family so would theoretically be more subject to deformation. Final length 45", 2g/4g weights in the R5TP.

Look

Bronze with black. Typical Accra - understated and classy. Cross section is thinner due to the constant taper design (similar concept to Project X, NV)

Feel

Smooth and responsive but not 'kicky' down low despite the install. Slightly more muted than Tour series. I like the extra stability in the tip...I feel I can rip the drive without a hook issue. There is enough torque that a smooth swing can also be accomodated....a really desirable combination for my swing type.

Trajectory

Shafts don't contribute a ton to trajectory and the XT60 is neutral in this regard. Typical flight is penetrating....I might need slightly more loft with this head though the launch monitor is putting me at 12*, 3200 rpm. More importantly, I very much liked the flight at the range and on the course.

Dispersion

The R5TP isn't the straightest hitting driver I've had but is still 450cc and plenty forgiving enough. I've traditionally been a 72-75g driver shaft kind of guy so the 67g XT60 is taking some getting used to. It is very comfortable to swing and swing hard. Some shafts never allow you to hit your groove but I was hitting the XT60 very consistently...which means the middle section of the range at the base of the fence on 7-8 straight hard swings. I'm not that great a golfer so that's more than I can ask for.

Overall

I haven't liked a 67g shaft for a long time. The XT60 has shown me enough to be my gamer. Still early in the season but with the number of shafts I have at my disposal, I feel the XT60 gives up nothing in performance to any of them. Hopefully I can provide more data later in the season including launch monitor numbers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very, very good shaft. I shafted up my R7 460 Tour 9.5* head with the XT60 M4 untipped. I also have a 10.5* of the same head with an Ozik F7M2 Xcon as my gamer. I am beginning to think I like the Accra just as well or better. The trajectory on both clubs is nearly identical so I am guessing the trajectory of the Accra is higher because the loft is lower but spins seems to be at or near the same. Neither balloon at all and the Accra produces good rollout. I need to get on a LM but I am hitting it so well I hate to screw with my mental state by seeing numbers. The feel of the Accra is very smooth and easily on par with the Zylon infused Ozik. It does have a bit more kick than the Ozik and the Ozik feels a bit tighter overall. I highly reccommend the Accra at half the price of my Ozik especially with the 30 day money back guarantee. You can't lose.

• 4 weeks later...

As an update to the above review I am now locked into a gamer...Versus SX1 10.5* with Accra Axiv XT70 M4.

The extra weight of the XT70 has improved swingfeel slightly but more importantly the XT70 M4 is the perfect flex for my swing, on the cusp of allowing full hard swings while still responding to more controlled passes at the ball. The XT70 has slightly increased torque combined with the ultra stable Axiv butt section and stable midsection so allows alittle extra feel while producing excellent accuracy. I'm really pleased with the results and the ballflight...flat but not overly low drives.

My last round was the best driving round I've had in some time. #11 (Redwoods GC), 450 yard par 4 (verified with GoogleEarth), 132 left to the pin....tee is elevated, probably hit on a slight downslope on the fairway but when you are old and out of shape, you'll take a nearly 320 yard drive! Had a couple other drives near 3 bills on the day so it's wasn't a one off fluke. All good drives were piercingly straight...ball movement was never overcooked, even with hard swings.

I am excited to hit driver for the first time in a long while. The XT70 seems to deftly provide a solid combination of feel and control for medium to moderate shaft loaders. Hard shaft loaders should either move up a flex or look at the XC75 which is a very stout shaft. I have XC65/XC75 handy as well as a ton of other premium shafts but for now the XT70 is my gamer....and my gamers tend to hang around while I try out various other premium shafts to try and dethrone them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

where is the kick point in this shaft? i know that the old t-series had a mid to low kick point. and is the tip stiffer than the t-series?

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* | Aldila 2KXV Blue 60-S
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid ‘19 20* | Project X Even Flow Blue 85 Stiff
Callaway Apex ‘19 4-Iron | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 5-9 | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway MackDaddy 4 Chrome 48*, 54*, 60* | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Indianapolis | 33.75"
Callaway ChromeSoft X “MURPH”

• 2 months later...

Just ordered a TEE XCGV with this shaft in a 13* 3 wood. As soon as it arrives and the temp here is above 3 I will give another report. I am very pleased with Accra overall and hope this will be more of the same.

Several days on the range with the new club. GOOD GRAVY this thing is a rocket. The combination is perfect for me. It is on average, I hate to say it, "20 yds longer" just like the ad states.

TEE EXS 9.5 Accra XC75
TEE CBX 15 UST/Mamiya Attas T2
TEE CBX 19 UST/Mamiya VTS
Ping i500. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 54. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 58. UST/Mamiya Recoil
ACME Tool General

I was playing an XT60 (M5) in my TaylorMade Superquad TP for about a year, but recently switched to a 909D3 with an XC65 (M5) to reduce the spin on my drives. I've been really pleased with the XC65, as well as with the old XT60. The one thing I love about these shafts is that they really help out us mid/low launch, low spin players who need an active tip section, but still want a stiffer shaft to reduce dispersion (swing speed ~ 116).

For me, the shafts produce the same initial launch angle, but because of the difference in spin, the XC shoots out on a more penetrating trajectory, whereas the XT balloons just a touch. As far as feel goes, as Accra claims, neither shaft feels boardy, but instead feels very smooth through impact.

I have not yet tried these in a fairway wood. I currently have an AXIVcore Blue 79 in my 909F2, but it balloons a touch, and I might try the XT70 (M5) and see how it compares. Anyone have these in a fairway, and if so, any comparisons with regard to other shafts out there?

I am gaming an 07 burner with a XT60m4 shaft, and a KZG Q 3w with a xt60m4 tipped 1" and man do I love these shafts!

Awesome feel and very smooth! I have tried the XT60 and XT50 shafts, I load the shaft too much for the 50 and it is too inconsistent for me. The m3 shaft feels great, but ball balloons a little.

I have hit many many different shafts, the only shaft I have hit that feels this smooth is the AXIV-V 6066 shaft.

I have about 100mph SS with my driver, smooth tempo but I load the shaft pretty good. Nice thing about these shafts is that you can really get a tempo to feel the same swing with it.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

• 2 months later...

I have one in a 13* exotics xcgv. Boring trajectory but seems to stay in the air a long time. very happy with the combo.

TEE EXS 9.5 Accra XC75
TEE CBX 15 UST/Mamiya Attas T2
TEE CBX 19 UST/Mamiya VTS
Ping i500. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 54. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 58. UST/Mamiya Recoil
ACME Tool General

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...