2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Should Michelle Wie focus on the LPGA Tour this year?

golfdigest

(Golf World, May 11, 2007)
Deere in Wie's future?

Despite coach's comments, Wie isn't done with men's events

wie.jpg
Photo: Getty Images
By Ron Sirak
Golf World
May 11, 2007

The headline was intriguing and not totally unexpected. "Wie to focus on women's events: coach" screamed the menu page on Yahoo late last week. The link carried the reader to an Agence France Presse story in which David Leadbetter was quoted as saying 17-year-old Michelle Wie "hasn't got any PGA Tour events planned at the moment." There is just one problem with the story. It's not accurate.

Leadbetter (left, with Wie) was quoted by AFP at the Wachovia Championship saying Wie is "going to commit herself to the LPGA" and next year "she'll probably take up membership" on the women's tour. Missing in the story, however, was any comment from Wie or her family.

Neither Wie nor the William Morris Agency, which represents her, was speaking as of Monday. But Jesse Derris of the Ken Sunshine Agency, the family's spokesperson, told Golf World, "It's fair to say no options have been ruled out."

Others close to the situation,however, spoke anonymously and more aggressively. "I wouldn't jump to any conclusion that she's not [playing against men]," said one source. Another said, "Nobody is going to determine her playing schedule except her. If she wants to play against the men, she'll play against the men."

The most likely PGA Tour event for Wie to play next is the John Deere Classic July 12-15. She missed the cut there by two strokes in 2005 and had to withdraw because of heat exhaustion midway through the second round last year. Record crowds turned out both times.

"Michelle has been invited," John Deere tournament director Clair Peterson told Golf World Monday. "The only person I have spoken with [on this matter] is B.J. Wie, and he has not said what David has said." Peterson hopes to have an answer by the end of May. Several sources indicated Wie would make a commitment to the Deere within the next two weeks.

"The community views Michelle as one of its own, and I think that will be a big part of her decision," Peterson said, painting a rosy picture for his event. Wie donated $25,000 to make the home of local resident Travis Hearn handicap-accessible. He was paralyzed in a high school football game.

In Wie's last nine rounds against the men, she has failed to break 76, and in her last eight LPGA rounds she has failed to break par. A wrist injury has sidelined her since the Sony Open in January. Her next scheduled event is the LPGA's Ginn Tribute May 31-June 3. Wie did not file an entry for the men's U.S. Open.

Leadbetter, her instructor, calls Wie the "greatest talent I've ever seen at [17], boy or girl." He said if she committed to the LPGA "she would win eight or nine times a year. She has the potential to be that good, so why not [join the LPGA], if you want to fulfill your potential?"

Michelle's dreams, however, are as great as her talent. And those dreams still include testing herself against the men, most likely next at the John Deere. Even if the LPGA is in Wie's future, it's likely not a destination she will reach without more stops on the men's tour.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leadbetter, her instructor, calls Wie the "greatest talent I've ever seen at [17], boy or girl." He said if she committed to the LPGA "she would win eight or nine times a year. She has the potential to be that good, so why not [join the LPGA], if you want to fulfill your potential?"

How about she wins just one event first on the LPGA before we dub her the "Greatest" at any age. No wins in her column gives us and the media ZERO room to compare her to anyone, It is a "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda" scenario. I don't care where it comes from, Michelle needs a WIN period!!!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

My take, only in reference to Michelle Wie and a possible show for the Deere Classic in Silvis, Illinois....Two years ago I watched Michelle Wie in a practice round at the Deere Classic, all I'm saying is she is an incredible and talented young lady.

I was told that ticket sales were no less than 25,000 above the level of the year (2004) before Michelle Wies' appearance at the Deere Classic. On the one hand you have the fans discussing what they would like to see Michelle Wie accomplish in her golf career, and then you have the corporate people enticing Michelle Wie to help them fund their events.

The John Deere Classic has competed in the past for sponsorship, having changed it's name and sponsors multiple times over the past 25 years, trying to get a foot in the door or being called a regular PGA tour event. Michelle Wie is a tremendous draw to fans here in the Quad Cities Area.

I can understand both sides, I hear guys discussing how she needs a win in her LPGA events before she can validate her pro statis but then again, I can hear the corporate people vigorously trying to coax her to their events, hoping to pump up ticket sales....Michelle Wie seems to be caught in the middle of both sides, and the majority, the fans see her as not being successful in golf because of her lack of making cuts and or winning.

Myself, I see her as being a huge success already, she's still in high school, she is talented beyond belief, she is a beautiful young girl, and she is worth many millions of dollars, oh and yes, she is smart. What more could she ask for?? Where has she failed?? I don't think that she has. But there are those fans who out of jealousy, foolishness, or lack of understanding the business world see her as a failure.. WHY??

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

i'm sorry if i'm not all gung-ho about Michelle Wie, but i really don't want to see her compete in any more men's events until she has not only won on the lpga tour, but until she's proven herself to be half as good as annika.

no doubt she's a cash cow, but the more she tanks in these men's events, the less validity her game has in my eyes.

anyone taking odds on how long she'll actually stay in college?

Mac I have to agree with you. Ms Wie has been wildly successful as a business and as a golfer to this point in her life. Compared to her almost everyone I know is an abject failure at both golf and business. I don't understand why people don't cut this kid some slack, because, after all, she is still a kid (as is anyone under the age of 40 in my eyes). Golfers, particularly professional golfers, are judged by how many tournaments they win and that is the only credential Ms. Wie is lacking. Let's wait a while before we assign her the Anna Kornikova of golf label shall we, although Ms. Kornikova was remarkably successful as a business entity.

Right or wrong wins are the criteria used to define athletic success but how unsuccessful has Ms Wie been as a golfer given what she can do for events such as the John Deere Classic? To paraphrase what Mac said, at what exactly has she failed? I'd go so far as to say she's the most amazing "phenom" ever given the effect she's had in everything golf.

she deserves a lot of credit, and i'll give her that. she's an amazing player ...on the lpga tour.

but year after year, she gets to play with the men on sponsor exemptions and misses the cut. it'd be one thing if she was monday qualifying for each event, but she comes off as "too good for that."

i dunno.. i guess she's just taking one extra spot that could go to someone else.

:rolleyes: I have no idea why you continue to voice your opinions on why is Michelle Wie taking a spot from another pro, she isn't. These are sponsors exemptions, that means it is up to the sponsor who is allowed to give those spot.

Get off this negative side on Michelle Wie as far as sponsors exemptions are concerned, You Don't Have The Choice, only the sponsors do.

Has she qualified for any men's events? No...Has she increased revenue at every event that she has tried to qualify? Yes... Are the sponsors glad they made the decision to give her sponsors exemptions?? Damn Skippy they are.

Don't get me wrong, if I had anything to do with her golf career, I'd have grew her more slowly, and taken the college route....but guess what?? I'm not her father, I don't have any control or say so over what she does or doesn't do....And BJ has not called me lately and asked for my advice either...thank you.

For what it's worth, Michelle Wie has brought to the Deere Classic in the neighborhood of 20,000 plus additional tickets sold each year. Is there any possibility you can see the value placed by these smaller PGA tour venues by giving sponsors exemptions to Michelle Wie? Whether you agree or not, the golf industry is about making a profit and not all about the guts and glory of "from beginning jr golfer to touring pro" type of a story. But that's another good story. :drinks:

Dave Whitlam Anser 

:rolleyes: I have no idea why you continue to voice your opinions on why is Michelle Wie taking a spot from another pro, she isn't. These are sponsors exemptions, that means it is up to the sponsor who is allowed to give those spot.

Get off this negative side on Michelle Wie as far as sponsors exemptions are concerned, You Don't Have The Choice, only the sponsors do.

Has she qualified for any men's events? No...Has she increased revenue at every event that she has tried to qualify? Yes... Are the sponsors glad they made the decision to give her sponsors exemptions?? Damn Skippy they are.

Don't get me wrong, if I had anything to do with her golf career, I'd have grew her more slowly, and taken the college route....but guess what?? I'm not her father, I don't have any control or say so over what she does or doesn't do....And BJ has not called me lately and asked for my advice either...thank you.

For what it's worth, Michelle Wie has brought to the Deere Classic in the neighborhood of 20,000 plus additional tickets sold each year. Is there any possibility you can see the value placed by these smaller PGA tour venues by giving sponsors exemptions to Michelle Wie? Whether you agree or not, the golf industry is about making a profit and not all about the guts and glory of "from beginning jr golfer to touring pro" type of a story. But that's another good story. :drinks:

See I think she is a great talent that has been exploited by the media to boost sales, because it is all about the buck. Yes I know she increased ticket sales, but I was wondering how you would feel if they gave Justin Timberlake (who recently said he wants to play in a PGA event) an exemption because I'm pretty sure you'd get thousands of tickets sold to watch him play golf with no chance of qualifying.

The fact is she has played in many events, and besides the first Sony, has had no chance of making the cut, and I am not counting that Asian Tour event. If she makes a cut now the luster has already faded and I dont think it will do much for her credit.

You also mentioned her smarts, and I will not argue with that. However, I am a college student and I have no idea how she could handle the academic load at Stanford (if she has a normal schedule), as well as compete with both the men and the women. That truly does boggle my mind, because either the golf has to suffer or the grades have to. If she maintains a good gpa and does well on the LPGA I think that speaks more for her potential than any single cut she'd make on the mens tour.

I think its safe to say that everybody wishes her the best of luck and really is pulling for her when she competes. But in the game of golf you have to earn it every step of the way, and I think she needs to earn a few of these exemptions by getting a few wins.

See I think she is a great talent that has been exploited by the media to boost sales, because it is all about the buck. Yes I know she increased ticket sales, but I was wondering how you would feel if they gave Justin Timberlake (who recently said he wants to play in a PGA event) an exemption because I'm pretty sure you'd get thousands of tickets sold to watch him play golf with no chance of qualifying.

The fact is she has played in many events, and besides the first Sony, has had no chance of making the cut, and I am not counting that Asian Tour event. If she makes a cut now the luster has already faded and I dont think it will do much for her credit.

You also mentioned her smarts, and I will not argue with that. However, I am a college student and I have no idea how she could handle the academic load at Stanford (if she has a normal schedule), as well as compete with both the men and the women. That truly does boggle my mind, because either the golf has to suffer or the grades have to. If she maintains a good gpa and does well on the LPGA I think that speaks more for her potential than any single cut she'd make on the mens tour.

I think its safe to say that everybody wishes her the best of luck and really is pulling for her when she competes. But in the game of golf you have to earn it every step of the way, and I think she needs to earn a few of these exemptions by getting a few wins.

gators77

Nice job of writing here, and your points are well taken by myself. You are probably more right than I am in your assessment of Michelle Wie, and yes, Justin Timberlake would sell tickets, especially if he had Jacko's sis with him.

Would anyone care to comment on which side is more right? Golf for the sake of golf, pure and simple, or the money side of busness (golf)? Isn't this our discussion here? Wasn't Bobby Jones the epitome when it came to golf? An amateur, he played for the love and also for the glory of the game, or did he. Does anyone ever do anything just for the fun of it?

To learn to play golf takes money, and lots of it. My son attained a fairly successful level in high school here in our state, and played at a competitive level in a small Div III school. As cheap as I am, we still had a boat load of money tied up in just that.

The juniors circuits around the United State can consume large amounts of spare change. Fathers and mothers might both work to afford their son's and daughters that opportunity to compete in golf. Anyone who is considered good at any sport has spent their childhood, and their parents have spent large sums of money to allow this to happen, you just are not born good.

gators77.....You are looking at things from a college students perspective, and it might help me to do the same thing except I'm old, so it seems to be more difficult for me. I tend to look at things from a parents perspective, this is neither right now wrong but this is who I am. This is the divide of our discussion here, I see it my way (Parent) and you see it yours (Young Adult), and we are both right, both for different reasons, and both with somewhat opposing views.

Keep up the good work, it's fun to reply to what you have written, you are a credit to your parents, and I'm sure they are pleased.

Anywho, if this long winded discussion of mine makes no sense to anyone, and is boring, please disregard and move immediately to another of our many forums, either that or feel free to reply to either side of this discussion.

ty

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I blame the LPGA

why hasn't Michelle been granted full time status on that tour?

I don't blame her for being nomadic since she can only play X number of LPGA events since shes not a full member.

Sure you could argue that she should have come up playing the Futures tour but if someone wanted to hand me a sponsors exemption and $$$$, there's no way I'd be on the developmental tour.

She DESPERATELY needs a win though, her psyche has got to be in a bad place. Winning breeds winning and getting blown out in mens events isn't gonna help her at this point

It's official....Wie is giving it another go.

Wie accepts John Deere Invite

There is a lot of pressure for her to perform. My question is: Everyone was intrigued during her first couple of events if she could make the cut. Does the public even care if she makes the cut? I feel like her opportunity to capture the spotlight has passed and people will not be AS impressed if she makes the cut now. If she makes the cut will that only push her to play more men's events of will that satisfy her to focus on the LPGA tour?

Or just make a men's cut... everthing would make sense of why all the who-ha.

Does it really matter what she does? If she misses the cut, she will still get asked back and if she makes it and gets a great T-68 what does she prove? It is all becoming a sideshow act that is getting old. Just my two cents.

exactly.

i'd much rather see that spot go to someone else.

i would rather watch them give it to a big break contestant or something. it would be a breath of fresh air.

And yet another perspective. I don't think its Michelle Wie that is attracting the crowds.

And where are you getting your information from? Has there been something published that I've missed that is saying the sponsors are losing money by give Ms.Wie sponsors exemptions?

Its not just Michelle Wie, its the fact that its a woman competing with the men that causes the ruckus. And of all the women in the world right now Ochoa would be the most qualified to get her chance (if she so desired).

Well, you have part of this right, women competing against men is causing quite a stir....and generating lots money.

But you keep forgetting, this is a sponsors exemption, Ms Ochoa wasn't asked, so therefore she can't accept nor decline but Ms Wie was extended that sponsors exemption offer, and she has accepted. Like it or not, it's a given fact at the Deere Classic. Come join the fun! You might even enjoy it.

Dave Whitlam Anser 

You missed my entire point. I was speaking hypothetically

Then you should start out by saying........Hypothetically speaking, Michelle Wie isn't making as much money as we think that she is for the sponsors. :tongue:

crowds=money

I don't know how you can assume Ochoa has never been asked

I'm not assuming anything, when has this ever been discussed except for your saying that she would turn a sponsors exemption down, if she so desired...now that's an assumption.

I doubt she would accept regardless. She seems quite happy were she is.

Is this hypothetical or is this an assumption? :rofl:

Dave Whitlam Anser 

The point that I keep coming back to is for her to qualify for the mens event she would have to play lights out just to make the cut. It is also interesting to see what happens to these 'goals' she sets, because I honestly think her best bet at any professional adventure would have been to stay an amateur and get to the Masters through the pub links, then there would have been no arguement about her earning a spot to an event. Now she will have to win a mens event for her to even get to the masters, and if she was leading going into a final round it would be the biggest media firestorm anybody would ever see. But lets be realistic, the whole reason she is a pro is the $$$$$$. She cashed in, and I can't say I blame her becuase she was offered a lot of money at a very young age. She's a marketer's dream, and I feel that they are acting in the best interest of the bottom line and may not be acting in the best interest of Michelle Wie.

In a strictly personal opinion...

She's a kid, a brilliantly talented one who I believe will fulfill her potential eventually. From all appearances, it seems she is being horribly mismanaged and guided into some poor choices. She would not be the first (nor will she be the last) incredibly talented young athlete to have this problem. Some recover, some don't. I think she will. As she matures we are likely to see a different kind of decision making coming from her.

But don't forget she is 17 years old...17! Got it? Tell me about your decisions when you were 17 and the ability of others to influence your choices.

I blame the LPGA

why hasn't Michelle been granted full time status on that tour?

I don't blame her for being nomadic since she can only play X number of LPGA events since shes not a full member.

Sure you could argue that she should have come up playing the Futures tour but if someone wanted to hand me a sponsors exemption and $$$$, there's no way I'd be on the developmental tour.

She DESPERATELY needs a win though, her psyche has got to be in a bad place. Winning breeds winning and getting blown out in mens events isn't gonna help her at this point

She hasn't been granted full status because she hasn't asked for status. Now that she is going to Stanford, there is no way she would have time for a full LPGA schedule anyway.