2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hogan's swing influences

JBOMB808

For me, I try to use Hogan's focus on footwork and his balance as modeled by Knudson first and foremost. Knudson said Hogan set his left foot in a way that he would land on it on perfectly in balance and on line to his target, as per his book, "The Natural Golf Swing." Basically guaranteeing shot direction in terms of swing path(1/2 D-plane). The second concept I try to incorporate is a secure grip that is probably the most varied in terms of a players height, weight, flexibility, overall personalization. Knudson followed that by believing in a firm lead wrist, which I think is not meant to be rigid, but firm due to being pulled by centripetal force and allowing for a square clubface(2/2 D-plane) by physics as noted by Hogan in by Tschetter's book, "Mr. Hogan, the man I knew." The last and final concept, which is often referred to "the secret," by Jody Vasquez and Chris Hall as per Ben Hogan himself, is the right knee. It allows to brace one's self into a position to deliver the club into the ball, which is similar to how a baseball player is in a position to hit a pitch. From a strong backswing position, and the right shift in weight back towards the target, good contact with the ball allows a player to take advantage of a swingpath that is on line, and a clubface that will square itself at impact. I've seen a few swings that seem to share a couple of these concepts.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Secret is in the dirt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero replies after all this time....
As someone said out there in the desperados forum, this forum has become a ghost town.
Anyhow i love your action, tell me how to do it please.
Personally i have given up on trying to swing like Ben Hogan, don't understand it, can't do it, too hard, never found it never will.
Hogan's influences and who he learned from are a topic i'd love to know more about.
He seemed very secretive about stuff like that, the idea that he found the secret "in the dirt" , all by himself just doesn't wash with me.
Was it Galileo who said "if i have seen further than others its because i stood on the shoulders of giants".
For example, why did he ask Mike Austin if he (Hogan) could have a game with him? Anecdotal evidence suggests it was because Austin coud hit a fade and Hogan wanted to know how he did it.

Gotta say its nice to be in here, all quiet and peaceful, noone telling me i have an arm swing illusion, or i need a golf swing shirt, or i have 3.6 frames too much run off, and i haven't been seduced into spending 3 intense days and lots of money with a guru to find i finally broke 90 and feel really good about it.
This evening i was practicing and trying a thing or two i had read or seen, i often give things a try to see if they have any truth for me, and nearly always they don't (for me). I think there is a real danger in chasing the mechanical swing, position, position, position is real estate not golf, Charles Scwartzel comes to mind.
Long lasting good swing? Try self-taught Peter Thompson, from 1 shot behind Hogan in the Open Championship to winning 33% of events he entered on the Champions Tour.
What does he and others like Trevino, Palmer, Furyk, Ray Floyd etc. have in common?
I think they just looked at the ball, had a good awareness of their body in relation to the ball and figured a way of getting the club onto the ball so it can be hit hard and straight.
I changed my efforts today to be more aware of the club shaft and where it goes in relation to the ball, simple eh. but i forget the basic requirements when i start using ideas and theories, then when i am playing i become blind and unconscious.
I am playing tomorrow and...
my arms will not be in front of my body,
i will not rotate,
i will not stop my arms when my shoulders stop,
i will not rotate my left arm,
i will not post on my left rotation point,
and many others i will not do.

When i try something new (usually daily) then play using it it sometimes half works (last week 1 under through front 9),
then it stuffs up badly, if i had paid money to a "pro" for the swing tip i would say it broke down because i wasn't doing it right,
(and pros know best because i have been to them all and they tell me so).
But in reality it was an imperfect idea that i managed to control for a while, then the truth of it became obvious, it doesn't work.
So it must be about the shaft and the ball and not much else.
Where is Tembolo? Hope he didn't read that last line.

Peace in the Valley is the song i sing.
There will be peace in the valley for me some day
There will be peace in the valley for me, oh Lord I pray
There'll be no sadness, no sorrow and no trouble, trouble I see
There will be peace in the valley for me, for me

Good stuff Pin!

From the looks of it, its a ghost town because the marshals appear to be ready to keep the peace at all cost even if it drives this forum into the ground. Disagreeing has been outlawed at the risk of offending the weak-kneed and bleeding-hearts.

Being aware of the club shaft is a good idea. Especially how it sets at the top which requires patience. But like everything else, the benefits of doing this will inevitably to leave you and you'll eventually leave her like used up lover.

Still, scores get better, and unlike before, I don't iterate through 100 different swing ideas. Now, I'm down to a few which I find myself cycling through. Must be honing in on something.

Beautiful body-rotation/body-release swing.

Reminds me a little bit of David Duval, when he was playing his best golf in '98 and '99.

Keeping the upper arms connected to the torso, and married to the body rotation produces a very consistent release of the club, and a golf swing with very few moving parts that need to be timed.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1380641386' post='7937503']
As someone said out there in the desperados forum, this forum has become a ghost town.

Gotta say its nice to be in here, all quiet and peaceful, noone telling me i have an arm swing illusion, or i need a golf swing shirt, or i have 3.6 frames too much run off, and i haven't been seduced into spending 3 intense days and lots of money with a guru to find i finally broke 90 and feel really good about it.

[/quote]

I called it a ghost town, when the "new sheriff" came to 8iron's thread in the desperado's forum. lol.... Too bad, b/c 8iron came in speaking truth and he got quashed. I am about to swear off the other place, I am sick of the smell of the shoveled bullxxxx. I agree, it is nice here...

Agreed 100% that is a beautiful action, you won't get many money games walking around with that swing. It's like coming to a gun fight with the Henry repeating rifle.... end of story.

Well...if you want praise, yeah...nice action...Could it be improved upon to get closer to Hogan??? Yeah...For starters Hogan keeps his right shoulder externally rotated longer in the downswing...the right forearm stays supinated longer...these two things alone will shallow you out and you wont have to work the face so much through impact...study Hogan's move focusing there...fwiw

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1380641386' post='7937503']
Anyhow i love your action, tell me how to do it please.
Personally i have given up on trying to swing like Ben Hogan, don't understand it, can't do it, too hard, never found it never will.
Hogan's influences and who he learned from are a topic i'd love to know more about.
He seemed very secretive about stuff like that, the idea that he found the secret "in the dirt" , all by himself just doesn't wash with me.
Was it Galileo who said "if i have seen further than others its because i stood on the shoulders of giants".
For example, why did he ask Mike Austin if he (Hogan) could have a game with him? Anecdotal evidence suggests it was because Austin coud hit a fade and Hogan wanted to know how he did it.

This evening i was practicing and trying a thing or two i had read or seen, i often give things a try to see if they have any truth for me, and nearly always they don't (for me). I think there is a real danger in chasing the mechanical swing, position, position, position is real estate not golf, Charles Scwartzel comes to mind.
Long lasting good swing? Try self-taught Peter Thompson, from 1 shot behind Hogan in the Open Championship to winning 33% of events he entered on the Champions Tour.
What does he and others like Trevino, Palmer, Furyk, Ray Floyd etc. have in common?
I think they just looked at the ball, had a good awareness of their body in relation to the ball and figured a way of getting the club onto the ball so it can be hit hard and straight.
I changed my efforts today to be more aware of the club shaft and where it goes in relation to the ball, simple eh. but i forget the basic requirements when i start using ideas and theories, then when i am playing i become blind and unconscious.
I am playing tomorrow and...
my arms will not be in front of my body,
i will not rotate,
i will not stop my arms when my shoulders stop,
i will not rotate my left arm,
i will not post on my left rotation point,
and many others i will not do.

When i try something new (usually daily) then play using it it sometimes half works (last week 1 under through front 9),
then it stuffs up badly, if i had paid money to a "pro" for the swing tip i would say it broke down because i wasn't doing it right,
(and pros know best because i have been to them all and they tell me so).
But in reality it was an imperfect idea that i managed to control for a while, then the truth of it became obvious, it doesn't work.
So it must be about the shaft and the ball and not much else.
Where is Tembolo? Hope he didn't read that last line.

Peace in the Valley is the song i sing.
There will be peace in the valley for me some day
There will be peace in the valley for me, oh Lord I pray
There'll be no sadness, no sorrow and no trouble, trouble I see
There will be peace in the valley for me, for me
[/quote]

Howdy..good post and you do not need a Golf Swing Shirt...lol or anything else that people post except for one thing..
You need to how to feel and repeat a solid impact position. Almost all tour pros look similar at impact and get there in a lot of different ways.
I have done the hyper technical breakdown of my swing with great instructors and bad instructors,,,,read books...videos
to the point of paralysis. Then you wake up one day and say Im just going go out and swing my swing and golf my ball..maybe fine for awhile nut then you start missing in every direction and golf becomes a struggle.
When I burned a great static position of impact (and know why) and play with that as the only swing thought golf for me became
fearless. and fun. No more blow up rounds.
Works for me !
Cheers,
Ray

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1379028094' post='7840969']
[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1379028094' post='7840969']
For me, I try to use Hogan's focus on footwork and his balance as modeled by Knudson first and foremost.
[/quote]

[/quote]

If I were to tell you that you have an obvious and significant swing fault would you see it as an opportunity or an attack? Despite your words you have a blind spot. Shall I continue?

AC

• 1 month later...