Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

iteach online lesson identifying need to get more open with left shoulder at impact

P6 training aid

Bobby Lopez Online Lesson

Officially a scratch golfer

Getting intent out past the ball 1

Getting intent out past the ball 2

Getting intent out past the ball 3

Edel fitting

Best short game training aid

Lesson w/ Zane Scotland

Lesson 2 w/ Zane

Lesson 3 w/ Zane

Edel arrival

Hello everyone, after the thread a couple of weeks ago saying where were all the Monte helped me threads i said i would update my progress.

A little about me, I play once and practice a couple of times a week during summer and about one of each in winter. Im 6ft and a big lad so never going to have an Adam Scott backswing :) At the start of taking lessons i was off 2.8 UK handicap (3). Ive always struggled with a flip, taking no divot and hitting the ball very high and generally inconsistent. my chipping is the best part of my game since i had short game lessons with Gary Smith (see youtube linear technique videos) but knew to get better i needed to get my long game sorted, theres only so much your short game can save you!

My first lesson was at the end of May about 6 weeks before my club championship, i was hitting horrible hooks with my driver and just striking it awful. Here are the 2 videos i sent Monte:

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Monte's diagnosis: Dave, it's really simple what&am<script id="gpt-impl-0.004028597679551771" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_108.js"></script>p;#39;s going on here. You are so far across the line at the top, your lower body can't move (rotate), or you'd get steep. Your arms have to drop a ton in order to shallow the club without the lower body turning, this gives your arms no room and you have to dump all the leverage.

So Monte had me working on better left arm rotation going back to get the club in a better position at the top and therefore less compensations coming down. so off to work i went...

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I emailed a video to Monte a week later to see if I was on the right track and he said it was looking much better which is always good to hear what your working on is going correctly!

I started hitting the ball a lot better and even taking a divot with short irons again, and when i got the hooks with the driver i knew it was due to me reverting to old backswing.

I won my club championship and shot one of the best rounds of my life in the 2nd round, level par round a 7,000 par 72 with CSS 74 and it was playing super tough that day. so i made up the 3 shots i was behind and ended up winning by 5 it was playing so tough.

Here is the videos i sent Monte a week after this in mid July:

(apologies for the fat dude in a golf swing shirt :D)

[media=]http://youtu.be/C69GbyWT0PY[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/7nJ7NQZ0LpE[/media]

Monte's response:

Dave, looks great.
You have two small issues and they are related.
1. Your right hip isn't getting deep enough. You have enough hip turn, but the right hip isn't far enough away from the ball.

2. Right heel coming off the ground prematurely as a result.
I know this isn't much info, but me telling you anything else would be doing more harm than good. This is plenty of information. Get that right hip deeper and the right heel should stay down the proper amount of time.

and off to work i went again...

I put a few good rounds in in competitions and am now down to 1.8 hcap. and am playing much more consistently and better than i ever have in my life. am still struggling with a bit of a flip and hitting it high but i can feel its getting better and i am getting there with the help of Mr. Scheinblum.

I have sent my 3rd lesson off to him and he replied saying "Your first move down in transition needs to be your rib cage, right hip or zipper moving away from the ball, estbalishing you into your left heel sooner and making room for your right elbow to lead more and shallow the shaft more". he wanted to see video of me with my right elbow leading and shallowing to start the downswing. here are the videos i have sent him and am awaiting his reply.

[media=]http://youtu.be/g5fuEfoJfN4[/media]

leading with elbow and trying to feel more rotation

[media=]http://youtu.be/wm6CxzxN7Ik[/media]

and this was at the end of practice hitting a driver off the deck which i was never able to do before i started the lessons, i would always drop kick it.

[media=]http://youtu.be/NnYMbFh92Ns[/media]

I love how simple Monte keeps everything and only gives and tells me to work on one thing at a time, and am certainly starting to see improves in the consistency of the results on the course. obviously there are still things to work on and im sure we will get there in time. im sure i need to body rotation on the downswing and at impact but i will listen to the boss man and do what he tells me!

if anyone is considering online lessons with Monte i cant speak highly enough of them.

thanks for reading and feel free to comment with thoughts, suggestions and questions and i will keep this updated with my progress as i go.

It's not false modesty to say most of the credit goes to you. I just pushed you in the right direction.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1379772893' post='7888493']
It's not false modesty to say most of the credit goes to you. I just pushed you in the right direction.
[/quote]

thanks monte, look forward to hearing what u think of the new video. first u need to go win the remax tho!!!!!

[quote name='bilbry57' timestamp='1379780124' post='7888987']
Dave,

Looks great your position at top of swing has gotten so much better. That's the area I am working on its helpful to see the improvements you have made

Well donw
[/quote]
thanks very much, it felt so alien at first and felt so laid off like it was perpendicular to the target line, took a lot of work but certainly is a lot better. good luck with sorting yours out :)

Great swing Dave. Thanks for sharing your journey. You do a great job of "swinging left," especially for a bigger guy. I read your problems about not taking divots and hooks and sympathized, since i have those issues too, but I think you were selling yourself short, since you clearly play well and have a very nice swing.

[quote name='demclimber' timestamp='1379942494' post='7896559']
Great swing Dave. Thanks for sharing your journey. You do a great job of "swinging left," especially for a bigger guy. I read your problems about not taking divots and hooks and sympathized, since i have those issues too, but I think you were selling yourself short, since you clearly play well and have a very nice swing.
[/quote]
Thanks very much, I guess most of us are always over critical of our own game. Its certainly starting to get there.

Gunna keep working on the next piece to the puzzle, leading with the right elbow, and hopefully will soon see a bit more body rotation at impact and more room for the arms coming down with forward shaft lean and nice consistent divots. And a few more yards wouldnt be a bad thing :D

Big lad or not, that is a seriously good golf swing.

Keep it up. I'm not playing to the same level as you, but many of the issues you mention resonate very well with me, particularly the tendency to hit irons thin / too high combined with the drop-kicked / fat 3W off the deck. (I know you said [u]driver[/u] off the deck, but that is far, far outside of my arsenal...)

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1379946406' post='7896829']
Big lad or not, that is a seriously good golf swing.

Keep it up. I'm not playing to the same level as you, but many of the issues you mention resonate very well with me, particularly the tendency to hit irons thin / too high combined with the drop-kicked / fat 3W off the deck. (I know you said [u]driver[/u] off the deck, but that is far, far outside of my arsenal...)
[/quote]
Thank you very much sir.

I was normally ok with 3 wood off the deck but if I tried to hit a driver I would always flick and hit the ground several inches before the ball. only in the last month or so have I been able to do it and its actually not a bad shot to have in the arsenal. Played Saturday in a match and on the par 5 9th at my club I had about 270 to the middle slightly uphill and the ball not rolling much. I thought I would have to swing out my boots to hit a 3wd near there, (normally my 250-260 club) so thought what the hell give driver off the deck ago, manage to sneak it on the front edge to set up an easy 2 putt birdie. I only ever tried it on the range as I remembered Vijay saying you can tell how well you are swinging if you can hit a driver off the deck. worth a try.

Sounds like you have similar problems to me then with the results, keep working at them! :good:

Been working the last few days in my spare time and tonight at the range working more on starting transition with moving zipper away from the ball and leading with the right elbow, and trying to get rid of my rock/sway onto my heels to start the backswing. starting to see less sway at the start of the backswing, more open hips at impact and what feels like more room through impact was absolutely ripping the driver.

7 iron:
http://youtu.be/D0iPeROA-E8

Driver:
http://youtu.be/2XjV2yPeJQQ

[quote name='slalomdude' timestamp='1380058004' post='7905425']
Congrats man, great looking swing. How would you describe you swing thought at top of backswing, when you want to move zipper away from ball. Looks like you are creating loads of room for arms.
[/quote]
Thanks. My thought is a simultaneous one of leading with right elbow and moving my zipper / belt buckle diagonally southwest from the ball.

I did a couple of montes miss the ball drill and that really gives you the feeling so maybe start with a few of those and that should give u an idea? Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Hi all, a little update, been struggling with getting a deep right hip going back, keep losing my tush line from DTL view and from FO my hips move to the left as i swing back, thus leaving me with a top of the backswing position looking like this:

[attachment=1960780:Screenshot_2013-11-23-17-31-28.jpg]

the thought of left tilt wasnt working for me and then instead of thinking about the right hip or leg, i just decided to think about getting the weight into the right heel at the top, not thinking about moving anything, just to feel the weight in the right heel at the top. now it feels i move off the ball to the right a TON and that my head is outside my right foot, this is clearly not the case but this is the feel due to where i was coming from. i instantly started hitting the ball better and looking at the video DTL i more or less keep on the tush line, bar when i sit into my heels as i start the swing, but from stationary setup to top of the swing it more or less stays there! woohoo!

[media=]http://youtu.be/cq4KcqvomFk[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/tra6TDrfqCg[/media]

looking forward to playing tomorrow and to take this feel to the course. to me it looks like its getting better, especially DTL

[quote name='ksgolfcoach' timestamp='1385237152' post='8196256']
That's a seriously good swing! Think you're hitting the wrong direction though ;)

Great progress, swings come a long way pretty quickly
[/quote]
haha yeah I couldn't be bothered to move my bag with the camera on it and no one was coming up the 9th.

Thanks very much.

[quote name='Jobu' timestamp='1385237622' post='8196284']
great progress, i'm guessing your miss is OB left?
[/quote]
thanks, the bad miss has been left recently yes. How did u figure that out?

[quote name='ksgolfcoach' timestamp='1385240342' post='8196434']
[quote name='davekzg' timestamp='1385240033' post='8196412']
[/quote]
[/quote]

You're aiming 90* left
[/quote]
ah that's only my feet pointing a bit left because I'd been working on squaring my hips up at address because they've been a bit shut the last few weeks. Obviously need to work on that and feet more. However the miss left has been there for a while.

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1385240922' post='8196476']
Nice set of videos Dave. You've really made progress quickly, well done.

I'm working on similar things (with Monte, too) so i'm eagerly awaiting your next videos! It's good to know that difficult changes can be made in such a short space of time. Keep it up.
[/quote]
thanks very much. Yeah it's nice looking back and seeing the improvements. Most notably in plane. Gotta keep working at the changes cos they always creep back in. Glad that I think I may be finally on the right road with getting the weight in the right heel. It feels like I'm moving miles to the right but clearly I'm not. Good luck with your swing and changes

[quote name='davekzg' timestamp='1385241354' post='8196516']
[/quote]
[/quote]

You're aiming 90* left
[/quote]
ah that's only my feet pointing a bit left because I'd been working on squaring my hips up at address because they've been a bit shut the last few weeks. Obviously need to work on that and feet more. However the miss left has been there for a while.
[/quote]

I thought the guys were pulling your chain about the "DTL" shot that was aimed dead left.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1385255019' post='8197414']
[quote name='davekzg' timestamp='1385241354' post='8196516']
[/quote]
[/quote]

You're aiming 90* left
[/quote]
[/quote]

I thought the guys were pulling your chain about the "DTL" shot that was aimed dead left.
[/quote]
ah I see! Yeah maybe they were I completely didn't get that at first ha

Shot 1 under today. Had it to 3 under through 10 but a couple of dropped shots coming in on what is a brutal back 9 in the wind today. So very happy. Swing was a bit off towards the end but early on was working well especially irons even when caught a little thin. Swing felt much freer today which was a nice feeling

Awesome. I love the shaft at the top now. Wish I could get my shaft in that same position all of the time. Much easier to hit it good from there. Nice work on taking it to the course too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1385348560' post='8202330']
Awesome. I love the shaft at the top now. Wish I could get my shaft in that same position all of the time. Much easier to hit it good from there. Nice work on taking it to the course too.
[/quote]
Thanks mate,

i'd like to get the shaft a little less vertical and a bit more on plane going back, which was one of the first things Monte and I worked on but now my turn is changing going back it seems to have altered the left forearm rotation so need to work on that. just happy to be keeping that tush line.

the main thing is my ball flight seems more penetrating which is a huge plus as I suffered with high floaty irons. was a nice 5 yard draw when it was going well yesterday. now lots of repetitions to ingrain :)

I also worked something out in my setup which i'd never noticed before. which isn't helping my position at the top. in my setup from centre my right foot is wider than my left, so i need to work on spacing my feet the same distance apart.

here is a rough stick drawing trying to explain what im talking about:

[attachment=1964122:sticksetup.jpg]

top one is with the problem and the bottom the better one, obviously still need a slight hip tilt with the right lower than the left though which was hard to show with my crap stickman drawing :)