Macgregor Pro 82???

My oldest son just found a treasure chest for vintage clubs. Actually the back room of an old pawn shop in the city. He picked up a few odds and ends and among the booty are a set of Macgregor Pro 82's. Small head blade design. Someone with some game must have used these. Shafts are dgx300 and more lead tape than I have on 3 sets. Never heard of these before. Will post pics when I clean them up a bit.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The letters are SO and there was no pw or 10 iron in the set. I got the whole bag from the backroom of a downtown pawn shop. There was a Hogan Decade Equalizer as the pw and it included an older stellar Wilson Dyna-Power sand wedge. The woods were Hogan Speedslots, diamond pattern screws, 2w, 3w, and 5wood. No putter included. 71212 serial # on the 2wood.

I got this from an old Macgregor rep
according to him the pro 82 was a remake of the original 67 VIP, Curtis Strange played them in the 80's, and was not paid for it according to an ad copy the Rep has.
Nicklaus took the Pro 82 and made into the Muirfields

There was another unconfirmed story that Curtis was upset that because Nicklaus used the design for his personal model and did not help out Curtis because he supposedly helped in the design of the Pro 82. Curtis left Macgregor for Mauraman after his US Open wins for big bucks I am sure

When Nicklaus won the 86 masters he was playing a custom set of the pro 82, they then became the Muirfields after his 86 win

• 4 months later...

The Pro 82 forging was the blank that came out in '82. It was used to make the Muirfields in about '83 and the Curtis Strange clubs among others. It's also the blank that made Nicklaus' N1s and the MacGregor cavity backs (used by Nicklaus) of the 90s, which aren't necessarily like the retail versions. The Muirfield 20ths came out in '86 and were made with the Pro 86 forging which was nothing more than the Pro 81 forging renamed.

I'm guessing that the Pro 82s above are very, very similar to Muirfields.

[quote name='astamm8' timestamp='1393515968' post='8757608'] The Pro 82 forging was the blank that came out in '82. It was used to make the Muirfields in about '83 and the Curtis Strange clubs among others. It's also the blank that made Nicklaus' N1s and cavity backs of the 90s, which aren't necessarily like the retail versions. The Muirfield 20ths came out in '86 and were made with the Pro 86 forging which was nothing more than the Pro 81 forging renamed. I'm guessing that the Pro 82s above are very, very similar to Muirfields. [/quote]

I believe this is all correct. I also believe that the Pro 82 forging was a flat back, into which Macgregor could then mill various back designs, including the original Muirfield muscleback. The Pro81/Pro86 forgings had the muscleback design forged into them, rather than subsequently machined.

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1393598988' post='8764370']
[quote name='astamm8' timestamp='1393515968' post='8757608'] The Pro 82 forging was the blank that came out in '82. It was used to make the Muirfields in about '83 and the Curtis Strange clubs among others. It's also the blank that made Nicklaus' N1s and cavity backs of the 90s, which aren't necessarily like the retail versions. The Muirfield 20ths came out in '86 and were made with the Pro 86 forging which was nothing more than the Pro 81 forging renamed. I'm guessing that the Pro 82s above are very, very similar to Muirfields. [/quote]

I believe this is all correct. I also believe that the Pro 82 forging was a flat back, into which Macgregor could then mill various back designs, including the original Muirfield muscleback. The Pro81/Pro86 forgings had the muscleback design forged into them, rather than subsequently machined.
[/quote]

That's correct. Although for most heads, like a Muirfield, I bet they would grind in the back design, not mill it in. But for a cavity back or those N1s it was definitely milled.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just picked up a set of the Macgregor Pro-82 in 3-SW. I believe these are the rereleased version of the ones talked about in this post. Does anyone have any info about these?

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

• 2 weeks later...

If they are as good as the ones I sold they will be very good indeed. Wish I would have kept them.

Don't want to sound critical but I just don't get why some of you guys sell irons, or any clubs for that matter that you really like.

It's not like their worth much in this day and age. What, about $100 tops. That sort of cash does not justify selling if you ask me.

On the other hand if your wives are not forgiving as mine well that's a different matter. :)

Well as one Old to another, there is only so much room for stowage and one can only play one set at a time. And I got significantly more than $100.00.

Well done on the good sale price. I guess to someone who appreciates a set like this they will pay a good price. Just saying there is not much demand these days on ebay and the like.

As for playing only one set at a time. I get that. That has never been an impediment for me however or a lot of the other ho's/collectors on this site :)

Old,

I did not mean "having" only one set to play, but, only able to "play" one set at a time. I have four full bags and two minimalist ones at the ready. Although, I have recently become more of a disciple of exclusive dating rather than playing the field. Having some true love for a set of Tru-Matics at the moment.

After my surgery the shafts on the '82s were too much and I would rather they were in someone's hands that could use them effectively.

You are correct about not a big demand for some of the old classics with respect to the general golfing public.

• 1 year later...

I know this was an old thread and as usual I just saw it brousing around. Randy the set as you described them sounds like a "Charlotte Set" from back in the day. Most of the guys that played Mac irons in those days in that area (hustlers/pros) either played a Hogan or Spalding PW and of course a Wilson Staff SW ( most preferred a 58 model)

Those Pro 82s that Gaj posted were rumored to be Miura Forged and I have it on good authority from several Mac collectors in the know that it was true. My buddy who is a Miura dealer denies it up and down.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I know this was an old thread and as usual I just saw it brousing around. Randy the set as you described them sounds like a "Charlotte Set" from back in the day. Most of the guys that played Mac irons in those days in that area (hustlers/pros) either played a Hogan or Spalding PW and of course a Wilson Staff SW ( most preferred a 58 model)

Those Pro 82s that Gaj posted were rumored to be Miura Forged and I have it on good authority from several Mac collectors in the know that it was true. My buddy who is a Miura dealer denies it up and down.

I know there are a lot of rumors about Miura making Macgregors. I have two sets of MT Tourney R58 and the Japanese blogs and whatnot say they are... I know for a fact they did some other cavity backs. I've seen that he did work for Bridgestone, Ram, of course Taylormade and many others. I kind of suspect he was doing some Dunlop Golf models too. You can see the similarities a lot of times and others it comes up when you use google translate.