Black Wolf Run - River

Pure716

I just received an E-mail from the American Club with some fall rates for the four Kohler courses. Earlier this year, I played the Straits for a similar deal as included in the E-mail. Also, every November my father and I play the Irish course for a discounted rate; it has been a "tradition" of ours. The reason being that apart from the fescue lying down, it doesn't look much different (not many trees unlike Black Wolf Run).

This year, being my last year before college, we are considering playing the River course instead (the only one of the Kohler courses that we haven't played). We are just concerned that we will leave disappointed in the scenery, being that most of the leaves will be down by then. I'm sure the condition of the fairways and greens will be superb, but we still have some concerns. Basically, we are worried that we won't get the "full effect." If anyone has any experience with Black Wolf Run this time of the season, would you recommend playing the River instead of the Irish?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Adam

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually say the RIVER course is the best up there. The salmon are running down the river too. I have hear from a lot of people that is the hardest test of golf up there since the greens are always lightning. It is 7100 yards of target golf too. I wish I would of played there before I moved away. I played Irish and straits this summer.

I cannot see the lack of leaves impacting the enjoyment of play... apart from losing your ball under them ;)
Mainly the trees frame the holes, as opposed to interacting with them. That said 9 & 13 will look different and be less intimidating, as the trees are an integral part of how you play those two holes.

Really though the River course is simple awesome inland golf. Pasatiempo, Forest Dunes, We-Ko-Pa Saguaro... I'm not sure I've played an inland course I liked more (although playing Pinehurst in a week so it may change) than the River course.

Regardless of foliage, I cannot see the Irish course winning any comparisons with the River Course.

BTW you can see on Flickr what the course looks like in the Autumn vs the Summer and IMHO, leaves or no leaves it is simply a top notch track worthy of the accolades it receives.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Its been years since I played up there, and the Irish didn't even exist yet, but I remember the River course well. Played it quite a few times. VERY DIFFICULT golf course from the back tees. 7100 yard target golf is an understatement. You have to golf your ball well to shoot a good score. I truely believe Pete Dye was molested as a child.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='fyavaraski' timestamp='1380894857' post='7951921']
If you don't mind me asking, what were the rates? I know that they go down in fall but I wasn't sure how much.
[/quote]

$156 for the 2nd half of October.

OP: I noticed they only list prices up until Oct. 27th for the River and the Straights course, whereas they list Irish and Meadows until the 'end of the season'. They don't shut down the big courses at the end of Oct and only have the other two open do they?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1380899372' post='7952267']
[quote name='fyavaraski' timestamp='1380894857' post='7951921']
If you don't mind me asking, what were the rates? I know that they go down in fall but I wasn't sure how much.
[/quote]

[u]$156[/u] for the 2nd half of October.

OP: I noticed they only list prices up until Oct. 27th for the River and the Straights course, whereas they list Irish and Meadows until the 'end of the season'. [b]They don't shut down the big courses at the end of Oct and only have the other two open do the[/b]y?
[/quote]

[u]Nailed the rate there; 156 for 18 walking ($20 cart fee)[/u]. [b]And Yes, the Meadows and Irish stay open until mid/end November while the Straits and River are suppose to close "first frost." [/b]

On another note, we made the tee time for October 25th, at 9:40. I will make sure to share a lot of the pictures on here!

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1380859753' post='7950897']
BTW you can see on Flickr what the course looks like in the Autumn vs the Summer and IMHO, leaves or no leaves it is simply a top notch track worthy of the accolades it receives.
[/quote]

Any chance you could post a link to this? I've searched, but all I come up with are summer pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update: forecast is calling for 50 and sun right now, so we appear all set for Friday. I'll try to post an update after the round; as always, including pictures.

Back Nine Photos and Review Added 1/3/2014

R-103002_zps2bf7dc4a.jpg

Blackwolf Run sign at the entrance

Yesterday was a much better day then we could have expected weather wise. We arrived at Blackwolf Run early, only to be noted of an hour frost delay. It wasn't a very big deal to us, so we grabbed breakfast. After about an hour warming up on the practice facilities, we arrived to the first tee, eager to start. I played the blue tees around 6,800 yards, so all the distances in the review will be noted from these tees.

R-103013_zps118072d8.jpg

#1 tee sign

R-103014_zps48bc3857.jpg

#1 tee shot

The first tee is pretty tame, just be aware that the fairway bunkers on the right ARE reachable. If you have the length to go for it in two, I'd suggest giving it a go; there is not much trouble around this green.

R-103019_zpsa6eaf7b6.jpg

#2 tee sign

R-103020_zps021b9354.jpg

#2 tee shot

The second hole plays to 370 yards, but distance isn't the factor here. The left side is dead; even if you do not loose your ball, the angle is poor. An iron or hybrid off this tee is sufficient; just keep it in play!

R-103022_zps6d259d4c.jpg

#3 tee sign

R-103023_zps86da7d90.jpg

#3 tee shot

The third hole is ranked as the #1 handicap, but I believe it can be much easier than the scorecard suggests. My advice, don't even try the right fairway bunker; there is so much room to the left, the reward just isn't there.

R-103025_zpsad59932e.jpg

#4 tee sign

R-103028_zpsdedf8b95.jpg

#4 tee shot

The fourth hole can be very dangerous depending on where the wind blows. My advice, don't even try any pin on the right. The left side of the green runs away, while the right side is all water, making hitting this green a premium. Play it safe or pay the price, the scorecard will prove my point.

R-103032_zps839d6cfa.jpg

#5 tee sign

R-103034_zpse53e0d49.jpg

#5 tee shot

Being that my dad is a big photographer, the fifth hole was certainly one of his favorites. It's one of those holes where you could just hit balls all day, not caring where they go. However, don't let the view fool you, this hole has some teeth. The left bunker is placed very well, requiring an accurate drive to allow you a good angle at the green. Surprisingly, the real danger on this hole, lies around this raised green. If you are going to miss this one, miss it short.

R-103043_zps6569297f.jpg

#6 tee sign

R-103044_zps9026e691.jpg

#6 tee shot

R-103047_zpse6229bbb.jpg

#6 approach shot

The sixth hole is a gambler's kind of hole. You can challenge the junk on the right, however, anything too far right will surely find the hazard. My advice, take an iron or hybrid off the tee. The green is massive, so a mid-iron is not too much to chew on this approach.

R-103048_zps15f4cf2a.jpg

#7 tee sign

R-103049_zps9c7457d3.jpg

#7 tee shot

R-103050_zps613e6171.jpg

#7 approach shot

R-103051_zps5129fc80.jpg

#7 green-side bunker

With the seventh fairway being pretty open, there is no reason to lay up off this tee. Like number five, the real danger is on the approach, anything long or right will leave a difficult par save (Trust me, I know).

R-103052_zps229f60e2.jpg

#8 tee sign

R-103054_zps7223a903.jpg

#8 tee shot

Number eight is another great risk reward hole, the further right you take your tee shot, the shorter the approach. However, I would not recommend trying this green in two. A good drive off this tee and you will be in a great position to leave yourself with a comfortable third shot. Again, don't try it in two shots, pick a yardage and play to the right fairway; don't make this easy five turn into a struggle.

R-103057_zpsd591b1c4.jpg

#9 tee sign

R-103058_zps56661238.jpg

#9 tee shot

R-103062_zps8f37c9de.jpg

#9 approach shot

Nine adds to a great stretch of risk and reward holes along with the finale to a spectacular, par 37, front nine. I tried going for the right fairway, and took a swim. I would suggest playing to the fat of the fairway left, and leave yourself with a short iron in. A hybrid or long iron off this tee is sufficient, trust me.

R-103063_zps1ba36e87.jpg

#10 tee sign

R-103064_zps2d7e9124.jpg

#10 tee shot

The back nine of the River course starts off with a very long par 3. Water is guarding the right hand side of the hole, but there is plenty of bail-out-room to the left of the green. Although lengthy, this shouldn't be a hard starting hole to your back nine.

R-103066_zps29a6e836.jpg

#11 tee sign

R-103067_zpsa393be42.jpg

#11 tee shot

R-103071_zps8e967317.jpg

#11 approach shot

#11 can only be described as another great risk-reward hole. The tee shot is pretty easy, unless you hit 340+, just keep it to the left to leave yourself a better angel. Now the second shot is where it gets difficult. I suggest using either the yardage books they sell, or a laser (if you have one), to pick an area around the fairway bunker. If you hit to this bunker, you will have between 80 and 120, depending on the pin and where your ball ended up. Again, this is not a two shot hole, play it safe!

R-103074_zpsab613a24.jpg

#12 tee sign

R-103075_zps6ab69c88.jpg

#12 tee shot

R-103081_zpsc93b2dcc.jpg

#12 approach shot

#12 is a very demanding par four. My advice, don't even try carrying the left side of the pond, the angel really isn't that great, and its certainly not worth the risk. The real danger on this hole is the tee shot; with such a long hole, missing this fairway will prove to be quite the penalty.

R-103082_zpsafb66651.jpg

#13 tee sign

R-103083_zpsaf8c5fb7.jpg

#13 tee shot

R-103089_zps409c0076.jpg

#13 birdie putt

R-103090_zpsdcd0a8ea.jpg

#13 birdie putt walk-in

"Tall Timber" is the signature hole on the river course. The mid-length par 3 has a lot of trouble protecting this green. Even with the deep bunker on the left, the left is going to be your best miss, should you bail out. If you find this relatively flat green with your tee shot, par or even a birdie, shouldn't be too hard to come by. (Like me) :taunt:

R-103092_zps5874007e.jpg

#14 tee sign

R-103093_zpsdfeff1da.jpg

#14 tee shot

Another great risk-reward hole. If you're a big hitter, you may be able to drive this green. However, if you are like the rest of us humans, the safe play is a long iron or hybrid off the tee. This hole really isn't long, with very little point in hitting a driver. If you hit an iron off this tee, you will leave just a short wedge shot into this hole. Don't make this hole harder than it should be, play it safe!

R-103096_zps77ee90b7.jpg

#15 tee sign

R-103097_zpsb0e0f088.jpg

#15 tee shot

R-103101_zps6973879f.jpg

#15 approach shot

This hole is a great birdie opportunity before you hit the demanding finishing stretch. With this fairway pretty wide, I'd say driver is a smart play off this tee. If you find the fairway, you will be left with a short wedge shot to a very large green. Like any hole on the river, there is some trouble lurking, however this hole shouldn't be much of a problem.

R-103102_zps750b921d.jpg

#16 tee sign

R-103103_zps64b36e4c.jpg

#16 tee shot

R-103106_zps4de4a8d0.jpg

#16 approach shot

A great start, to a great finishing stretch. This long par five requires an accurate drive off the tee. Do not, and I mean do not, go in the left trap (obviously); this will basically be a one shot penalty, and almost always lead to a bogey. If you kept it in the short grass, the lay up should favor the right side of the fairway, taking the tall tree and some water out of play. Behind the green is a huge bunker, which should be avoided at all cost. All in all, this is a very demanding par five, but if played smart, it shouldn't be an issue.

R-103110_zps90ea6df9.jpg#17 tee sign

R-103111_zpsbb8cc1d9.jpg

#17 tee shot

"Snapping Turtle" is a great name for this treacherous par three. The tee shot, should favor the right side, there is much more room than you think. Anything long or left, will most likely find the hazard the wraps around the back of this green. Use judgement off of the tee; if you play it safe, it shouldn't be too hard of a par.

R-103114_zpsd503c8a4.jpg

#18 tee sign

R-103115_zps02bb1ea7.jpg

#18 tee shot

R-103116_zps1e32fbaa.jpg

#18 approach shot

A great finish, to a great golf course. The tee shot on this long par four, shouldn't be too hard. If you managed to avoid the waste area of the left, you should be left with a long iron or hybrid into this huge green. Don't be fooled by Pete Dye, there is no reason to go after any pins on the left, the right side has plenty of room. If you miss the green right, par shouldn't be a problem; if you miss it left, good luck.

Final Thoughts

Overall, the River course was exactly what I expected, a great golf course, at a fair price. If you come to this area, I would HIGHLY recommend playing all of the Kohler courses. While the River course isn't my favorite course I've ever played, (#1 - Whistling Straits, Straits Course and #2 TPC Scottsdale, Stadium Course) it was a great experience. The way they treat you at Black Wolf Run from the moment you arrive, is second to none. Overall, play it, but play it wisely.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update 1/3/2014 with back nine photos added

Great pictures from a great course!

I miss living in Milwaukee and being so close to Kohler.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1389102596' post='8414609']
Great pictures from a great course!

I miss living in Milwaukee and being so close to Kohler.
[/quote]

Thanks! We definitely have many great courses in Wisconsin.

• 5 years later...